Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Scienski (tiffski6108, #6108) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected about 14 reusable bags for shopping and have committed to using them on my shopping trips.

I have found that keeping my reusable bags in my car is the best way for me to remember to use them. Immediately after I unload my groceries, I return my reusable bags to my car and then I have one less item to remember during my "great rush" to get out the door! I also really like getting discounts for using my bags at some of the big name brand stores.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman at Arms Merit Badge!

“I have familiarized myself with the gun safety rules and regulations in my state and am currently enrolled in a hunter safety course.

I remember hunting with my dad as a child as bullets were cheaper than beef in the grocery store, and we didn't have a lot of money. I spent my childhood eating venison and grouse. I have wanted to go hunting for some time, and although I am not required to take the hunters safety course because of my age, it is a good idea as I am gaining a great deal of knowledge in some of the updated safety regulations. Time to do a little research on weapons and my chosen quarry. Wonder if my dad is up for a little hunting trip?”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista , #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I made a cowl for my new daughter in-law. I learned the seed stitch, linen stitch, yarn overs, ribbing and the mesh stitch plus a lot more. I knit with friends every Thursday night.

I'm not very good at knitting, but I really enjoy it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista , #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling for many years. When we had our kitchen redone I put in a recycling center. I take my recycling every 2 weeks or so and we only take in one garbage bag a week.

I works great and I don't mind the extra time it takes. It's worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristie Bulla (#3679) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“My mom had sent me a seriously blinged-out blank journal with my initial on it. This thing was so silly and shiny and sparkly, it made me giggle. I didn't know what I would do with it until I read through some of the merit badges and saw the part about keeping a gratitude journal for the Farmgirl Gratitude badge. How perfect!! I was not in a position to purchase "The Book of Awesome," but I did read a lot of entries from the Amazon site, and I read from www.1000awesomethings.com when I ran out of things to read from my first source.

On the day I started working on this badge, our oldest dog Dakota (our practice kid right after we got married) passed away. Although heartbreaking, I was able to find the gift in that he went peacefully in his sleep with no suffering. Just last week my purse was stolen while shopping with the kids, and I was yet again able to find the gifts and lessons in that less than positive experience. I think actively focusing on gratitude really helped me through both scenarios and then some.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara Knight (YellowRose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I kept a food journal for a month.

I read labels for content and nutrition value. The grocery store where I shop labels all produce with country of origin. I also shop the local farmer’s market.

Instead of reading the required book I worked with Brian, and grew four spouts; radish, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and lima beans.

I add greens, mushrooms, and other vegetables to soups, beans, spaghetti sauces, on pizzas & in the crust, and cornbread. Examples: Add parsnips and leeks to potato soup. Dried greens and red peppers to pizza crust or cornbread.

For years I have used only olive oil; occasionally walnut oil or a dab of butter – no margarine in over forty years.

The food journal showed that though I eat the right things I tend to eat more in the afternoon when I begin to fatigue. Instead of overeating at that time of day I now try to take a nap.

The radish seeds did the best and lima beans not so good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Sara Knight (YellowRose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I either repurposed or gave away all plastic containers. Replaced them with several sizes of mason jars and store bought food jars.

I use the Ball plastic lids for mason jars and find that works better for me than canning lids.

The jars take up less space in cabinet and food is easy to see in the fridge.

Glass jars work out well when giving food to someone. If I know I will get the jars back I use mason jars; if not I use the store bought kind.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Sara Knight (YellowRose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I put a new lining in my sewing basket that I bought at an estate sale over 30 years ago.

It hadn't been cleaned out in years so I organized it, recovered pin cushion, and bought a new pair of scissors.

Found a place to put my thimble so it doesn't get lost again.

My sewing basket is now clean neat, filled with what I need and ready to be put to use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Sara Knight (YellowRose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I inherited my grandmother's button box. My two aunts worked at high-end dress manufactures in Dallas in the 1940s & 1950s. Most of the buttons came from there.

Some of my favorites have matching belt buckles.

I look for vintage clothes with interesting buttons in thrift shops, Salvation Army, and estate sales to add to my collection.

Through the years I have used some of the buttons and also added buttons to the box.

Just as I played with the buttons at my grandmother's house when I was little my son played with them too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“Eins (1), zwei (2), drei (3), vier (4), funf (5), sechs (6), sieben (7), acht (8), neun (9), zehn (10). Guten tag (Good day). German is one of the Germanic languages that also contributes to the English language. Many of the early peoples were tribal. While there are a number of towns and cities, there are also a number of farmers still working the land. Many small towns were created by farmers and are still surrounded by the farms themselves. This centralizing of the populations was done for protection and ease of commerce.

The Germans are a culturally conservative people. The wars fought on their soil has forced them to take a social view of their society and the land they live on. They have events called "wander tags" which literally means "wander days" in which a trail is set up (5K, 10K & 20K usually), and after you have walked the trail, you return where you started to find live music, great food, friends you have not yet met, and a good time had by all. Sounds like a tradition we could use here.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I created a new recipe for Cranberry Salad using honey and Mary Jane's ChillOver powder and posted a copy of it in the Farm Kitchen forum.

It turned out not as sweet (which made me happy), and more like preserves than jelly (which I also like). I thought I might bake some brie and pour some of my cranberry salad over the top for a nice Thanksgiving appetizer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I practiced and successfully tied the clinch, Palomar, turle, barrel knot, and double surgeons loop.

i liked the Palomar and turle the best as far as a secure knot is concerned, although the others do have their place. Now to get out the fishing pole and wet a line without losing a hook.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“Quilling - the art of rolling, shaping and gluing paper into designs - was practiced by nuns, the later genteel ladies followed by ladies of leisure. They used paper predominately, but also parchment and vellum.

I got a beginners kit and practiced using the tools and gluing the results. Once I got the scraps of paper off my fingers, I got down to serious business and created a card to send to a friend.

It looks really cute, but it is easy to wear your art on accident. Whatever you do, don't sneeze before everything is glued in position.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I spent at least 50 hours making a embroidered pillow for my mother for Christmas using recycled fabric and buttons, and garage sale embroidery thread.

The fabric I used is linen, and because the main piece came from a shirt back, it was a bugger to keep in my embroidery hoop. The pattern came from one of my "inspirations" magazines. My accent wine red came from a tank top, and the black came from a pair of pants. The thread was all rescued from garage sales over the years. I am working to get all my rogue brand thread used up. The buttons were originally on the shirt that provided the fabric for the main part and are made of shell. The entire pillow is hand stitched using cotton thread. I am grateful to have it off of my UFO list.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“I had my bash at our weekly sewing club. I have some very enthusiastic women who join the Sisterhood. We had our first chapter Sunday. It was a lot of fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“After I gathered up recipes with my Mom, I put it in the computer and created a recipe book. I love the way it turned out. I'm glad it's on the computer, I think I will get requests for the recipe book from other relatives.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristie Bulla (#3679) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I just finished Joe Camp's "The Soul of a Horse" this afternoon and am so grateful that you recommended it!! I have also been to his website and love all the information available to us.

I researched my absolute favorite breed: gypsy vanner.

I learned so much from Mr. Camp's book and can't wait to reintroduce myself to my horse!

Research on gypsy vanner:

The gypsy vanner is a magical breed that has only been discovered during the 1990's and whose history is as fascinating as the culture that created it. The gypsies of Great Britain and Ireland raise horses for human consumption, but they had a vision of creating the perfect horse for pulling their caravans. They combined the best traits such as beauty, temperament, and size into what has become the gypsy vanner. In the gypsy culture, the children are the ones who take care of the horses. Because of this, the horses must be gentle and willing to work with the younger crew. If any of the horses would injure a child, that horse would be released back into the meat herd.

This breed is like a fairytale horse... I don't think my words can do justice as to how beautiful and majestic these animals are. I've watched videos of these amazing creatures that have brought me to tears. This is my absolute #1 dream breed of horse.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Christine Andrade (#4612) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Our group "Sisters on the Hood" met yesterday and we collaged our binders using photos and magazine cut outs and anything else we saw fit.

I worked on 2 binders. They both look amazing and I want to use them more now!

I just renewed my membership yesterday at the group and I look forward to sharing time with the girls and learning new crafts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I made a list of herbs that I could come up with to use. Then I used "The Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs" by Reader's Digest to locate the five herbs chosen off my list to see how they could be used in cooking and for medicinal uses and crafts.

I have used aloe vera for burns, garlic and basil in my cooking, ginger in teas and vegetable/fruit drinks. Next Summer I would like to grow and use Lemon Balm.

It turned out really great. I knew of some of the medicinal uses of various herbs and learned that they can help in other areas of the body as well.

I plan on continuing to use the herbs for cooking certain dishes as well in some new dishes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Callie Boneck (#6121) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Myself and my new Sisters gathered at our chapter leaders house to work on our FIRST BADGE. We each had a small binder that we will be using to help us keep track of our Farmgirl progress and focused on what else we want to get out of this adventure we're on together. We made our collages to use as 'covers' for the front, back and spine of our binders. It took a few hours, a lot of snacks, and a bunch of laughing, but we all did it!

I've always liked the idea of making a collage, but I never knew where to start, and my second-guessing habit keeps me from getting too crazy with them. However, this project turned out so well! It's my first Farmgirl project, and I already feel improved! I'm in love with my uber-personalized binder (I love the colors, the pictures, the textures and the overall 'feel' of what I put together), and not to be self-horn-tooty, but I'm very proud of the outcome. I wish I could attach more pictures, haha!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I organized my frightening storage container cabinet and was able to not only get myself organized, but recycle or donate a bunch of stuff we did not often use!

I think it turned out great - much easier to find things and now that we don't have lids with no containers and containers with no lids, we don't have to spend a bunch of time looking for matches that don't exist!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I already know how to cross stitch and have already made a cross stitch sampler for the cross stitch badge, so for this one I have been working on my embroidery skills. I embroidered my merit badges and have done a few more since this photo was taken.

I love how it is coming out so far. The merit badges have not only been fun to work on earning, but seeing how they come out after I have embroidered them has been exciting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Buttoned Up would seem like an obvious first badge choice for me to anyone who has known me since childhood as I began collecting buttons at age 10 on the playground with my friend Heather, however, I am just now applying! I am not entirely sure how many buttons I have at this point, I have recently been trying to use some of them because my collection has grown so large. I have several very old ones that belonged to my great grandmother, which I cherish.

I think it has turned out great so far. I am thinking of making some sort of small shadow box display for my craft room to display the ones I love the most - my vintage buttons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I studied and learned the cake decorating basics from the Wilton website such as filling the bag, holding the bag and couplers. I read Wilton's cake decorating beginners guide.

My mother donated all her cake decorating supplies to me, so I was able to do a little practicing of some of the skills. My writing is still quite shaky.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I created my own cake decorating kit. I made my daughter's birthday cake for her party this past weekend (using only organic ingredients of course) using three different tips to decorate it.

It tasted fabulous and it didn't look too bad either. I made a crazy cake (the chocolate cake with vinegar), cream cheese icing, and because I ran out, buttercream icing too. I sliced the cake in half to create layers (dental floss is wonderful for this) and spread home made mixed berry jelly in between. I then put the cream cheese icing all over.

I used the buttercream to put a shell border around the bottom, then a round to write "Happy 10th Birthday," and finally used a twisted flower tip to make some pretty flowers. It seemed to go over just fine as I had very little cake left when the party was over and none thrown away.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page