Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I made an intermediate level snowflake and it took nearly 4 hours to complete.

It is a good thing that true snowflakes are not truly symmetrical as my snowflake only makes a passing nod at symmetry. I added a little glitter for effect, and it looks great. Don't look at the back though, it has traces of black paper where it stuck to the surface of where I was working. All those little curls took forever to create and get to look half decent. This isn't as easy as at looks.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I read Strunk and White's "Elements of Style". I wrote a short story of over 500 words. And, I had a friend read and correct my story.

There were a lot of wonderful tips in "Elements of Style" that I wish I had known about when I was tutoring. It would have helped me guide my students better in their writing endeavors.

As for the story, it's more like a short chapter. It's the start on the series of stories I hope to be writing for all my former students that ever begged me to tell another story. My friend Sylvia edited it for me.

If you would like to read it, please let me know and I will send you the file in Word.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“I chose Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990) and George Gershwin (1898-1937). Both men were composers and musicians, pianists to be more exact. Both men were of Jewish heritage and wrote for the stage at one point in their careers.

Leonard Bernstein composed many in many styles including: symphonic and orchestral, chamber, ballet, choral, film, theater and piano; but he is perhaps best known for "West Side Story." He also spent a tremendous amount of time conducting and recording. He was 72 when he died.

George Gershwin composed both classical and popular music, including the opera "An American in Paris". He started his career in Tin Pan Alley as a "song plugger" and then moved on to recording and arranging music. There are over 140 player piano piano rolls under his name and pseudonyms. He was 38 when he died.

Both men made quite an impact on music.

Researching these men was enlightening. I did not know much about either one except what I had seen in theater and the movies. A person could write a short paper on either one of these men without being repetitive. I enjoyed this very much, but I am not sure I did them justice. There was just so much information.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  3:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss. I spent at least 2 weeks learning a new word daily. (Try the "Economist" if you need new words). And I wrote a letter to the editor of the Bonney Lake Courier Herald on the importance of precise communication and syntax.

I am once again reminded of the importance of using the correct punctuation in the correct location. You can change the meaning of an entire sentence with poorly placed commas. As for my vocabulary, the guys I work with are starting to give me funny looks. However, my mother understands. In our copious spare time we bring forth enlightened conversations in which only the most fortuitous, or not so fortuitous, get to eavesdrop on. Lawyers are fun to eavesdrop on as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“I have collected over 10 specimens of rocks and minerals, and identified them to the best of mine and my reference books' ability. A number of them are gemstones.

All these specimens were found within the United States (either in the dirt or the rock museum), mostly in the southeast.

Left to right by column:
cut stones (topaz, ruby, garnet, amethyst, tourmaline, and aquamarine), fluorite, aquamarine, silver topaz, amethyst, emerald, peridot, smoky quartz, ruby, green tourmaline, olivine, black/green tourmaline, calcite (maybe), and granite.

I found some of these rocks in Alaska. Unfortunately, someone took my favorite one which was a perfectly round piece of granite. He was going to slice it in half for me and he never gave it back.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  3:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level First-aid Merit Badge!

“I renewed my first aid and CPR card in a 4 hours Class. I get it renewed every two years. I turned out well. I always learn something new.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  3:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I like this merit badge a lot. For 2 1/2 weeks, I took the time to relax. I lit a candle and listened to my meditation music for 15 to 20 minutes.

I think it turned out great. I will try to do this everyday. I found some meditation music on my laptop at work so if I know I won't have time at home, I will listen to it on my break at work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  4:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I turned off my cell phone, computer and T.V. for three days. It was great. I got a lot of knitting done, drawing and read a book.

Over Thanksgiving, I went early to our time share, without my husband and grown children. They didn't like me not responding to all the text messages and phone calls, but I loved it and enjoyed it a lot. The only thing I did, was send a text to my husband saying "O.K." in the evening so he knew that I was safe.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  4:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“My research began with the book entitled "Birds of Ohio Field Guide" written by Stan Tekiela. I also went onto the Ohio Department of Natural Resources website and searched for birds native to Ohio. There I found a Field Checklist for Birds of Ohio that was downloadable to my computer. I also printed out a copy of this book for use when I am visiting any of our state parks or the nature center at Blackwoods Metro Park here in the Columbus, Ohio area. The birds that I have on my "wish list" for right now would be the Ring-necked Pheasant, Mourning Dove, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, any of the Owls here in Ohio, Cardinal, Blue Jay, House Finch, Purple Finch, and the Great Blue Heron.

This turned out fabulous. I now have a list of birds specific to Ohio that I was able to download from the State's Natural Resources site. This will allow me to keep track of birds that I would like to see or have seen here in Ohio. That along with my "Birds of Ohio Field Guide" by Stan Tekiela will allow me to look up the birds and learn specifics on the bird.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  4:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“Ever since I was little and was in a couple 4-H groups growing up and spending time around the animal barns and fairgrounds I remember seeing ladies spinning on their wheels in the sheep barns. My aunt and uncle had sheep when I was growing up and that added to my facination for wanting to learn to spin. Within the last three years I joined the local Weaver's Guild in the Columbus, Ohio area. In the last year I have purchased around 8 sheep fleeces so I could learn to scour and card the fiber.

Then I used the fiber to work on learning to use both the drop spindle and wheel to spin up some yarn for me to use. I now have these 8 fleeces in plastic containers and one of them I have been practicing doing my carding both by hand and drum. The fleece that I have carded has turned out gorgeous. Even my cousin who raised and showed sheep said it felt soft.

This past August (2014) I participated in the Sheep to Shawl demonstration at the Ohio State Fair where I worked on carding fleece while other ladies worked on spinning and weaving items while there was a sheep shearing contest going on at the same time in the same ring. It was a lot of fun. One of the guild members helped me out to fine tune my approach to carding. This past week I sat down and watched a DVD on Carding Wool that had four different individuals on it and how they carded wool. While watching the DVD I carded some fiber trying each of these individuals methods to see which way I preferred to card.

The whole process turned out great. I did settle on one way to card some fiber. Watching the DVD and the help from one of our guild members has helped me improve on carding fibers. Now I just need to keep practicing and carding all this fine fiber that I purchased and scoured. I will save and use some for my dyeing badge, and spin some to use for my other spinning badges. I am so excited to finally learn a new craft that has been on my bucket list before it was called a bucket list.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I started a new exercise regimen one month ago. I am training to run at least one 5K per month and have already completed two. I have another one scheduled for next weekend. I am not yet able to run the entire thing, but I am getting closer each time I get out there and run. I have also been doing strength training every other day to supplement my running training. So far I haven't missed any training days - I even ran two miles on Thanksgiving.

So far it is going great! I haven't done a lot of running since my high school and college days, so getting back into it has been painful and at times frustrating, but I have discovered a love for the sport and hope to be able to run an entire 5K by summer and then plan to start training to run 10Ks. Maybe someday I will run a marathon! I am also hoping that my doctor visits will be a lot prettier now that I have added this sport into my life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  3:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have set the goal to run a half-marathon in April 2015. I will be participating in the Yuleba Fun Run (www.hklnfunrun.com.au). The fun run raises money for HKLN. Help Kids like Nick’s mission is to work to provide an enhanced quality of life for those diagnosed with Wolf Hirschhorn Syndrome and their immediate family. I have read "The Non-runner's Marathon Guide for Women" and have been following the training schedule included in the front of the book. I started training on 22 October, so have been running for about 8 weeks now.

I am running 3 days/week, going to pilates/yoga classes twice/week and have 2 rest days. After 8 weeks, I am running 5-6 miles comfortably. Well on the way to 13.2 miles.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Jill Stidham (jkstidham, #5870) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I purchased two reusable shopping bags and was given eight reusable shopping bags by my grandmother and my daughters and I each made one. I store them in my car so that they are always handy when we go to the store!

We love having our bags handy in the car! They come in handy for other things such as a tote for library books and holding clothing when my daughter forgets to bring her bag that holds her clothes during her Tae Kwon Do practice!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“I bought some lamb's wool fleece at the Mother Earth News fair this past June, I borrowed the carding brushes from my parents (that's another story), and I carded some of my fleece. After about 20 minutes of wrestling the fleece, I took some of the newly carded fleece and proceeded to spin it into thread with my fingers. In an effort to keep it from untwisting, I wrapped it around a broken clothes pin.

I wonder where I can get my hands on one of those lovely carding machines......

I have a spinning wheel just waiting for me to learn how to use it. The time is rapidly approaching.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Dawni Everett (#6113) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I learned to crochet and just completed my first project which was a pair of small slippers. It took about a week to crochet. They turned out beautifully and I am no longer scared of crocheting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Dawni Everett (#6113) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Our Farm girl Sisterhood group, Sisters on the Hood, got together and did a collage for our journal books. I like it, it isn't super flashy but I love how it turned out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Christine Andrade (#4612) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected 10 reusable shopping bags and I leave them in my car so I have them for shopping anywhere I go, I have also got a compact one that I carry in my purse for small or unexpected shopping trips. I have not forgotten to use them since I collected them.

Its great to have your own bags and now the whole family is trained to use them.

I marked the start date as 11/17 which is the date I renewed but we've been doing this for years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Christine Andrade (#4612) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I found organic cleaning instructions on pinterest with baking soda, vinegar and dish soap.

I have been cleaning my stove top, glass tables, mirrors and windows with water, vinegar and dish soap. I've been cleaning my shower with baking soda and vinegar.

Its amazing! I will never go back to stinky cleaners again. the tub and shower doors come so clean. My husband is not trilled with the smell of vinegar but he'll get over it ... it's clean!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Christine Andrade (#4612) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I oiled the doors in my home as well as the doors at work. I cleaned off the shovels and oiled them down for winter storage.

The doors swing nice and quiet & the garden tools look like new!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  4:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Christine Andrade (#4612) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“My daughters bedroom door was hanging crooked and wouldn't close because the top hinge was stripped. I propped the door into place, inserted longer screws and the oiled hinges. It works like a dream now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (Katie Wright #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Because I have knit for many years, actually 54, since being 12 years old, I decided to give patterns to others of charity knitting and help them with the projects if they needed help. There are many charities that you can use your knitting, quilting, and crocheting skills for.

My family worked on hats at different times, on a loom for knitting. It is an old wooden loom that I had made by an elderly man in my hometown of Wausau, Wisconsin, probably 45 years ago. It works like a larger form of the spoon and nails...or like the plastic looms that hobby places now sell. I also had one person make hats for the hospital for the newborns. It is a fun way to teach someone to knit in the round on three or four needles, which will prepare them for knitting socks later. It is a simple project and can be finished in a few hours. I usually make a bag full (30 - 50) before taking them to the hospital. I also helped a friend start a scarf, casting on and such as she just simply had not knit for years and had forgot it all.

Teaching others to knit and hopefully enjoy the craft makes me so pleased. I like to share my passion for knitting, and it is a passion as I have knit for 54 years now. Wow, to think of all the projects and yarns I have used.

My friend continues on knitting her scarf. Another friend had me help her untangle her yarn and scarf and start again. Hats are piling up with great joy and it is a wonderful way to use ends of balls and skeins of yarn, which an avid knitter has in plenty supply. My granddaughter is still practicing casting on and is "the master of casting" but not knitting yet. My daughter in love has learned to knit and made a scarf, then a baby hat for a friend and now some doll clothing. My hope is that they will all enjoy and knit for many years. However, my daughter in love says she likes to crochet better. My grandson learned to knit and made some pot holders and a dish cloth while I taught him and others in a 4H volunteer program.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  12:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (Katie Wright #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I designed a purse, (made up the pattern), chose the yarn, worked the pieces, making front and back, bottom and side pieces which included knitting the strap and unto the other side piece, measuring and planning as I went. I made a button hole in one side piece. The purse measures 9 x 10 1/2 and long strap for using as a cross body purse.

I worked at this at my knitting group which meets on Tuesday afternoons and also evenings in Hannibal, Missouri. I shared the pattern with a family member.

Working on this item took me over 20 hours with the knitting, piecing together and sewing a lining for, and placing the lining in the purse.

My cross body deep green knitted purse is very attractive. I knit in seed stitch which just makes it a little more decorative. I made the bottom, sides and strap in garter stitch to add some variety to the purse. I lined it with a pretty soft grey with white polka dots which I had left from making a message bag last year. I used a button hole stitch around the buttonhole and into the fabric lining and then sewed on a nice shiny red button....my favorite color. It turned out great and have used it and received many compliments already. I am sure I will use it for many years to come. I also plan to make a few in the future as gifts for family and friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (themadhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I looked around for a while finding somewhere to be of use, I found 3 options right off the bat, the Craftsbury Church monthly supper, the volunteer fire fighters, and the Art House. Well I have church issues (recovering Catholic here), and it was 3 hours a month, I have a phobia regarding wearing a respirator so the fire fighters was out, so I settled on the Art House and banged out 15-20 hours since late October!

It went amazing! Me and a few other women organized a community event to raise funds to keep the Art House going for another year. We did a holiday market! We got local vendors and food, and did all the decorating, and I even got my wife to help and get us lots of free trees from her boss! I had a blast and made some new friends, looks like volunteering is going to be a big part of my life now!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Erica Sullivan (themadhousefrau, #5694) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“A neighbor of mine had to go out of town quite suddenly to deal with a family illness, he has a small farm with cows, chickens, ducks and chicks and asked my wife and I to sit for them. Having been around farm animals most of our lives we of course said yes.

It went really well. We hadn't really gotten to know these neighbors (not sure why actually) and they said they couldn't afford to pay us which was fine with us, we were happy to help. When we got there the place was a wreck, it was obvious how unexpected all of this was, so while the dog and cats looked on we cleaned the house top to bottom, did dishes and laundry, and took care of all the critters, even mending fences. When they got home they told us the sad news that their father had passed, which was dreadful, but they were happy and relieved to see the house clean and the animals well taken care of.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I spent close to 7 hours creating a three dimensional quilling project.

The cat did not die, but I seriously considered choking her when she played with a destroyed an hours worth of roses. I made a dimensional trellis with roses climbing on it. It took almost 2 hours to make the trellis, then the rest of the time was spent making the vines, leaves, and roses, and getting them glued on the trellis. It took several days to do this, and the cat helped me a few times. I am going to spend a little more time refining the bushes and make a few more roses to fill in some of the spots. Overall, it looks pretty nice. i plan to put it on my inspiration shelf.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page