Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  4:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Living in Germany everything is recycled and its not only encouraged but required. There is recycling for metal, plastic, glass, paper/cardboard, wood, bulk items, compostable materials and food scraps (from restaurants), clothes, and shoes. A few plastic and glass items have a deposit and you have to take it back to the store to turn it in and get the refund. Curbside pickup includes plastics and non-recycleables. Near our house is a recycle point with bins for glass (sorted by color), paper/cardboard and metal (tin and aluminum cans).

Once a quarter there is a curbside pickup of bulk trash (furniture and items that can't fit in the trash cans which are very small). During this time people drive around and pick up items they could use that others are throwing away! On post we have a recycling point that includes bulk bins for plastics, metal and wood, a bin for electronic items and a freecycle center for still usable items which is open once a week for people to go "shop" (for free). We personally compost our own compostable trash at our house. I am attaching the chart that shows what is recycled and if its picked up or put in a bin.

It takes a lot of discipline to recycle basically everything but it is becoming a habit now. We really don't have much regular trash and have figured out routines for sorting, collecting and dropping stuff at the appropriate place that work for our family.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I started my journal and found these three organizations that I could volunteer for: AWANA, Red Cross and PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel). I found out how to volunteer for awana by speaking to the director and filled out all their required paperwork. I also attended the Red Cross volunteer orientation but have not had time to volunteer with them at this point and I became a board member for PWOC (I am the Homeschool liason). However AWANA is my focus for this badge.

I have volunteered most Sundays since starting in October. I have 10 hours of service between October 19th and November 23rd. I lead a group of K-2nd graders and help them in learning Bible verses from their books as well as supervising during things like games and story time. I've reported this to my chapter.

I enjoy volunteering and watching the children develop. I know this is a great program for my own children so I'm happy to help other people's children have the same experience.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  3:29:45 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have quit using commercial laundry soap. I now make my own by using Felz Naptha, Borax, and Washing Soda. My mom and I have used it for years but I've just recently brought it into my own home when we started getting allergy related bumps on my children's skin.

It's worked out great! We no longer have problems with MRSA or any other skin problem. I can no longer take the smell of the other cleaners now that I use homemade. I love my laundry soap....plus we use white vinegar for our fabric softener. It's wonderful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have recycling pick up. The county where I live has us separate our trash. They only recycle certain things though. The next county has a recycling center that will take the rest. Some of it I'm recycling here at the house for other uses though.

I wish they would look into taking all recyclables though.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  3:46:31 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I've only lived in my current city for six years and it's our capital too. Since I home school the kiddos we now visit the local museums to learn about the local and state history. A couple of weeks ago we visited the City of Frankfort Museum.

It was so fun! It's a smaller place than the history museum across the street but a lot of city history. Plus one of the ladies told us about some buildings and places that no longer are standing. We also visited a Civil War fort not too far from old Frankfort. More to learn!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:10:40 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I decided to sit down on the kitchen floor and go through every container that was in the cupboard. It took some time but I got through it. I had a lot that didn't have a top or some tops that didn't have bottoms but none matched. LOL!

I will be using the bottoms as starter pots for my garden. So they are sitting in a box waiting for dirt and seeds here in a few months. The extra tops will be used to sit the bottoms on to hold a little extra water.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I've been taught from childhood how to handle a gun and the safety rules. Plus, the KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife has a camp that I attended as a child that teaches the basics of hunting and using guns. I have my orange card that I received by taking the hunters safety course.

I love being able to learn even as a child the dos and don'ts of gun safety. I think it's important to teach and continuously learn more about safety. Thanks for having this badge!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:17:24 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“There are several different types of game in KY: turkey, white tail deer, black bear, elk... and so on. My husband and I normally hunt white tail deer although we tried to get a turkey. I let the deer meat soak in salt water before processing. That pulls the extra blood out of the meat. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling meat.

After I let it soak I put it in air tight sealed bags and freeze it. We love deer meat. I processed and put away close to 300lbs of deer meat this year. We gave some away too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:20:57 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have tons of thread, needles, and bunches of sewing goodness. My mother even gave me a new sewing machine for Christmas last year. Love it!

I plan on making a sewing kit for my friend who is getting married in May. All new bride's should have one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“Candles can be made from a variety of different waxes including paraffin, soy, and bees. What each wax can be used for is dependent on its melt point. Paraffin can be used for containers (MP < 130), votives & pillars (MP 130-150), and candle shells or overdipping (MP > 150). Soy can be used for containers or pillars and votives, but the pillars and votives soy is usually a blend and not pure soy. Bees wax can be used for most any kind of candle as well.

For coloring a candle, there is dyes and pigments. Generally, dyes are used to color the entire candle, while pigment is used to color the outside. Dyes come in either liquid or powder, are easily combustible so do not clog the wick, and allow a person a lot of control over the color's shade in a candle. Pigments are suspended particles that give the illusion of solid color and are not as susceptible to fading as dyes. However, they do not usually burn well which means they are not good for use throughout the candle. Using crayons can cause the wick to clog as it burns and is not a good idea.

Not all scents can be used in a candle. Any alcohol based scent, such as perfume, is unsafe to use in a candle. Most scents are specially formulated fragrance oils (not the ones you get from the grocery store) and some essential oils (although I found that some have reported that these don't bind or burn well). Whatever you use to scent a candle, it must be pure oil at the very least, no water or alcohol.

Other than the definite DO's and DO NOT'S, most of the information I found on colors and scents says to experiment and see what works. This is a good place to keep a log book to record your combinations and results of your test burn to see if what you choose will work well. It's also best to stick with the specially formulated colors and scents for safety's sake as there is fire involved in using the completed product. Information was difficult to find, but interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I started by collecting all the non-green cleaning products in my home and ended up with a whole laundry basket full - yikes! I spent a lot of money on cleaners.

Next, I created my mission statement:
Housekeeping and homemaking are natural extensions of caring for my family and will be performed with love with basic, green products that are safe.

After that, I started researching and experimenting and posting the results on my blog and in the MJF chatroom. I've been teaching my daughters also.

I'm feeling really accomplished with the tasks I have completed so far.

1. I took my non-green cleaners to our local tox-away site.
2. I posted my mission statement in my laundry room.
3. I shared my findings and 'recipes' for cleaners in the MFJ chatroom, on facebook, on twitter, on Pinterest and my blog: http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com
4. The cleaners I have made so far are: a floor cleaner, a window cleaner and homemade dishwasher tablets. I use the basic spray cleaner recipe from the Dr. Bronner bottle now too.

I'm looking forward to making my own soap and laundry soap for the next badge level. I'm really enjoying the fresh scent I'm getting from the essential oils I am adding to my cleaners plus, I'm not getting a headache anymore when I clean! Thank you so much for offering this merit badge which has encouraged me to make this change.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“The tasks for the Intermediate level for Shopping Green are to research ways to clean without toxic cleaners and to commit to using a non-toxic product for home cleaning and laundry.

I kept seeing cleaner "recipes" that called for liquid castile soap but, honestly, I didn't even know what that was or where to get it.

I kept reading about Dr. Bronner's but did not think it was available in my area. Imagine my surprise when I was in the natural foods section of my local grocer looking for some apple cider vinegar and Dr. Bronner practically jumped off the shelf at me...I had not been looking in the right place!

The bottle of Dr. Bronner has enough writing on it to keep you reading for quite some time. I started making the cleaners that I used on a daily basis and have been quite pleased with the results.

For my Going Green beginner badge, I wrote a mission statement pledging to use green cleaners and have it posted in my laundry room.

I am so thankful that this badge work has helped me have a safer home that is clean and that I can support a company through my shopping choices that is committed to the safety of my family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I received my beginner badge in May of 2014 and launched my own blog on November 01, 2014 which was the 8 year anniversary of moving to our hobby farm.

I really went back and forth on which blogging host program to use - I decided upon Blogger because it seemed quite easy to get started. I picked the name and just jumped in.

I'm having so much fun with http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com

I was able to get it added to GirlGab.com and, honestly, I get a real sense of pride when I see one of my posts there with other bloggers that I admire.

I've still got so much to learn but I seriously look forward to the time of day when I can settle in and write...working on this badge has been a real gift. Thank you!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“To earn this expert level in blogging, I needed to learn about adding pictures and individualizing my blog. Also, I needed to have at least 10 posts with photos. Then, network with other bloggers and build my readership.

My blog is: http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com

I jumped in and started posting and have created a calendar of what my topic for each day will be.

I have learned how to use picmonkey to improve photos and make photo collages. I do need to work on my picture taking skills though so I'll be working on that merit badge soon.

Since I started on November 1, I have posted 42 entries and added pictures too.

I just checked on the number of page views and I have 2,914! For those with huge followers, that probably seems tiny but it seems huge to me! To think that almost 3,000 people have been interested in what I have to say is exciting and humbling too.

I'm enjoying the blogs of others more than I ever have...in reading the posts of others, I have come to realize what a great community those who blog on farmgirl things really are. Thank you so much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  3:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I have a copy of Washington State's fishing regulations and have also marked the website as it contains updates not in the book. I have familiarized myself with the different kind of fish in my area, both freshwater and saltwater, and how to catch them. I have researched the different kinds of bait (both edible and lures) used to catch many of these fish.

There is a ton of information. To go fishing in this state, you almost need a different set up for each area, and not just because of the type of fish either. Some places only allow fly fishing. This year I will coax my brother into taking me salmon fishing as he already has a boat and the needed equipment. However, there are a number of lakes that have a nice selection of trout and bluegill that I will be looking to put on the menu this year. If everything works out, I will scout out some river camping sites and when the season is open on the river and do a little camping and fishing in the near future. I have learned how to do stove top smoking, so there are some real possibilities for smoking and cooking as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I have the book "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast" which is a compilation by Jim Pojar and Andy MacKinnon of not just trees, but of most native plants along the Northwest coast from Oregon to Alaska. In my yard I have several cottonwoods, a huge Douglas fir (and several smaller), two enormous western red cedar which my daughter likes to climb in, several native cherry trees, and many other native trees I am still identifying.

I have also planted about 10 different varieties of native trees along the front of my property in order to grow a buffer between the road and the house. I use the maple leaves in the garden as they make a wonderful soil amendment. Cascara will clean the system right out, so be careful of using its bark in a tea. A number of trees come in a variety of berry colors, so it is important to know which ones are safe and which ones are toxic.

One of my many hobbies is plant medicine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“The difference between baking powder and baking soda is that baking powder also contains cream of tartar.

The breads I made are cornbread, pumpkin bread, pancakes, and carrot cake. All were relatively light, by the more moisture there was in the batter and was still there after cooking, the heavier the bread seemed to be. Both the cornbread and the pancakes cooked to very light; the carrot cake not quite as light, but moist; and the pumpkin bread quite moist and only light around the outside. In fact the pumpkin bread collapsed in the center despite coming up clean on the toothpick.

I had never really thought in terms of moisture and the leavening ability of baking powder or baking soda, so this was enlightening.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I have successfully grown carrots, radishes, leeks, potatoes, and onions in my area. In the grocery store I can find these items as well as turnips, parsnips, beets, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, and yams. All of these items are currently in season around here. I found all of the above in the grocery store and all were grown in this country. Many were grown in this state, but it did not specify which items came from where.

Root vegetables are some of my family's favorite foods, especially roasted with a bit of olive oil and sea salt. This past year we did some experimental cooking and discovered that we like turnips, parsnips and rutabagas. They all have a similar taste and texture to potatoes. I am looking forward to growing them in the garden this next year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I gathered candle-making supplies from my nearest craft store, and utensils from Goodwill and made molded candles from two different types of wax.

1. Paraffin, orange scent & color
2. Beeswax, spice scent & blue

I gave one of my homemade candles to a friend and talked with her about what I learned in making the candles.

Paraffin candles come out of molds a whole lot easier than beeswax candles.

You should pour the wax when it is still just warm enough to remain a liquid in order to have the least amount of diviting (the dip that forms in the candle where the candle wax is poured in) from the candle hardening.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“First I did a little research to investigate and find out exactly what root veggies could be grown where I live. I found this wonderful brochure from my local UW-extension: http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3686.PDF

At the grocery store I shop at I can currently buy carrots and beets. The carrots are grown in California and the beets are grown England. When root veggies are in season the store has radishes, rutabagas, beets and carrots from a local farm.

This badge really helped me think about where my food comes from and how many root veggies I can grow in my own backyard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“This is the tree guide I used: http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/fr/FR0053.pdf

The three trees I have identified in my yard are:
Basswood (Tilia Americana)
Plum (Prunus Americana)
Walnut Black (Juglans Nigra)

Yes, all these trees are native to my area. This badge made me stop and notice the trees is my yard and become familiar with trees that are native to my area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I researched Native American basket weaving and went to the Seattle Art Museum and numerous local native art shops to view basket weaving of yesteryear and of today. The line between basket weaving and fabric weaving is blurry.

I then made a basket of my own with handles. It took me about 12 hours and I got very wet. I think it might be easier to do in a pool with a nice flat block to clamp it to.

Native Americans used several techniques in their basket weaving. Among them are wicker weaving, plaiting, coiling, and twining. The fibers they used were based on what was in their environment. They make some beautiful baskets.

My basket was a wrestling match with reed, water, and a cat. The cat insisted on chasing the reed as I was weaving it through the spines. Her mis-stepping into the water was a highlight however. By the end of the basket, I had every clamp I owned holding it in position and a pair of pliers to keep twisting the handles the right direction. At this point, handles are over-rated.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Battaglia (#6140) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have completed 5 hand warmers, 3 blankets and am working on a scarf right now.

The hand warmers turned out really neat and were fast to make.
The blankets are soft and work and one of them went to a little girl who loves Rainbow and has CHARG. She couldn't wait to get it. When she did get it she wouldn't let it go. Then she got sick and I told her mom to tell her to wrap it around her it was a big hug from me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  4:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“For the beginner level I sewed a half apron for a farmgirl swap, and I always wear aprons in the kitchen! It feels weird not to!

For intermediate I sewed a full apron for myself, my mom, my sister, and my best friend for Christmas. 4 aprons total, and I wore one to my friend's house for our weekly get together that we have.

I loved earning this merit badge, and the girls I gave them to loved it as well! I forgot to take a picture before giving them all away but I have pictures of three of them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  5:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“1. I already know how to crochet.

2. I made chicken themed pot holders for my project. These were double layered and required the two layers being crocheted together. It was fun and took me about 5 hours to make the mom and two babies.

I also made the amigurumi chick in egg, all of these were for an MJF chatroom swap!

3. I taught my daughter to crochet. We did a simple dishrag with double crochet stitches. I got a picture of her working on it. She decided it would be better as a baby blanket than a dishrag!

It was fun to explore new crochet techniques and to teach my daughter. I look forward to the other levels of this badge.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page