Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  3:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knit a lace shawl which took over 50 hours to make. I taught 3 girls and a couple of women the basics of knitting.

I started the shawl three times before I got the hang of the pattern. Lace is tough. Teaching was challenging too, as I am left handed and each one of my students was right handed. They were each crafty to begin with, so none of them had any issue sitting across from me in order to watch what I was doing.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  3:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“At a chapter meeting one of our Sisters is an origami queen. she taught us how to make two different types of cranes. It was a lot of fun. I went online and read about the history of origami.

It was a lot of fun. Our Origami Queen has made over 2000 little cranes.I think I will go for it.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  3:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I made 75% of my gifts and more then 25% of my ornaments. I have a picture of a few things I made. I forgot to take picture before I wrapped.

I finished last night and I'm very pleased with what I made.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  3:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell (Vanavista, #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“My step father is in an adult foster home, he cannot have a tree because of allergies and his room is too small. So I made a wall tree with green garland and lights. I punched out 2" circles out of red, gold glitter paper, and white card stock. I wrote the names of all of his family on the white card stock . I then punched holes in all of the paper and used ribbon to hang them from the garland.

I loved the way it turned out and more importantly, he loved it too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Christine Andrade (#4612) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“Our group got together yesterday and researched the history of origami and we learned how to make cranes, fish, and the butterfly. It was fun, we even got our crane to move its wings when you pulled the tail.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  3:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Dawni Everett (#6113) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“Our Farmgirl Sisterhood Group had a gathering at my house to learn how to do some simple origami. I've folded cranes before so I led and helped show each of the women how to fold both a simple, flapping crane as well as the standard, sitting crane. I also folded a new animal I had never tried before, the AngelFish.

It was a great gathering and everyone seemed to have a great time. All the girls got more and more comfortable with the folding and eventually were doing the entire bird on their own without any coaching from me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I decided to make my grandgirl a bookmark to encourage her to read more. I found all my cross stitch materials that I had set aside. Then I made up a simple pattern on graph paper. I st to watch baseball and completed the project by the end of the game.

I had not cross stitched in years, and found it rewarding. And now that I have a good pair of glasses, I can actually see those tiny squares! I gave it to Jade for Halloween!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I finally took the time to learn all the different seams, both by hand and by machine. Out of necessity for making a small quilt, and a few projects for friends.

I feel like I actually learned something new that I'll be able to use. I made myself MaryJanes clothes pin bag for me. I thought that making french seams was going to be hard, but actually once I practiced them, they were so-o-o easy and nice looking! Thank you for encouraging me to learn something that will be of a great benefit the rest of my life!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I was going to a friend's for a day of crafting and wanted to bring her a casserole in a Bake Over Take Over. I found some very country-style material, copied the directions from MaryJane's Ideabook, and spent lovely evening sewing. I also made some new lovely hot pads for me!

I loved the pattern, and the ease at which it came together. The pot holders added to my fun and turned out lovely! (also they were sorely needed!) I took my bake over of a veggie bake over for the gathering, which was delicious & disappeared quickly! A great success. My friend loved the make over bake over--she always makes them for others but didn't have one for herself!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I went round the house checking all the doors for squeaks, and only found one--our bedroom closet! I oiled it and waited. The before we went to Florida on vacation, I oiled both of the bikes we were taking. They were set! And then this fall, I checked all our gardening tools and oiled them after cleaning the dirt off.

The bedroom closet sounds much better for now. Our bikes rode much better in Florida, but we had to oil them again when we got home to prevent them from rusting from the saltwater there. I didn't realize how dirty some of our tools were until I checked them out. After I washed/brushed the dirt off, I grabbed the oil can and rubbed them all down, before putting them away for winter. They look so nice in the shed and will be ready for next spring!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I have been trying to improve my grammar and continue to spell more effectively. I am finding words in books that I don't know the meanings of and have to look them up. I finally try to use them in my language. I've done this for over three weeks.

My spelling has been good for a long time, as I had a school teacher that had weekly spelling bees to encourage us. My hubby is constantly asking me to spell something. As for grammar, my daughter is an English major and is constantly correcting me. So I am trying very hard to correct myself. I like to improve myself. Also I'm constantly looking up words for the fun of it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have spent time with my elders at the sewing circle I attend every week. We spend some much time talking and chatting as we put together blankets for world relief. I love their stories!

The ladies love to share stories about their childhoods, their families, the community. I have learned to love these ladies and enjoy their insights and company.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“I figured out that we spend approximately $1/meal/person. We skipped a couple lunches. We saved the money to give to our local food bank through our church.

We found that skipping the meal was easy and giving to help others was so rewarding. We actually gave extra money, as our meals are prepared from our freezer or pantry from foods we've grown or hunted/fished.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“We made some venison jerky this year after hunting season. The house smelled so good for days! I also invited a friend over to put up some berries for the freezer, dehydrated some veggies from the garden, and showed her how to can. She loved it!

We had so much fun working together. And the food will be so good to eat this winter. It was good to show off some skills I've done for almost 40 years to someone who wants to learn.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I had hubby re-teach me hoe to sharpen my knives. I hate a dull paring knife. After he showed me how to use the stone and steel, I went to town on them!

I love my knives sharp, and I love to sharpen them myself. Hubby was happy to help me achieve this goal! No more dull knives in this house!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  4:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I chose to make homemade crackers. Due to my wheat/dairy/oats/etc. allergies I have to make all and any snacks I want to eat. I love MaryJane's crackers. I've made them with so many different flours, but my favorite is teff. Crunchy but delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have used reusable bags for years and enjoy them. I also use two wonderful baskets, one long, with a low handle, and sturdy (pretty blues) and the other made by local Amish with a wooden bottom and leather straps, called their shopping basket. When I walk into County Market, they see me coming and some of the younger ones call me the "basket lady" not bag lady even if I have bags also.

I have some purchased bags for shopping, one even from Africa, but I enjoy the ones I have sewn and also crocheted and lined. I keep them stacked in my baskets in the trunk of my car. Even my husband has begun using them and says that he just doesn't like those "plastic" bags anymore. I even take my baskets into auctions with me. So, yes, I have at least six bags and the two baskets I use faithfully.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I make a mixture of dawn dish soap and vinegar which I use to clean counters, bathrooms and cutting boards. I don't like the smell of many purchased products plus they are expensive.

It benefits me to use this product instead of purchased products, not just because it is less expensive, but the smell does not affect me like some purchased products. I found some years ago when my asthma got worse that much of the problem was smells from the toxics in cleaning products as well as health and beauty products. At that time I started to go green with things and am happy that my asthma is better due to it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I do not belong to a local farmgirl group as I have yet to find one in my rural northeast Missouri area. I do, however, glamp and have rural country women who enjoy my love of camping, but who are not yet convinced to join the sisterhood. With that said, I earned this badge by using reusable bags, making reusable bags and sharing them with friends, plus giving them out to local shoppers randomly in grocery carts with a note to use reusable instead of plastic.

I was able to receive the joy of giving and also the joy of watching people pick up a cart and take up the bag and read the note with it, and smile. I also saw some talking with each other about their free bag and then later at the cashier telling them about the free bag and that they planned to use it again and again.

My thought is that I having used reusable bags for a long time, even having my husband be a believer in them, am stunned at how many people still use the plastic bags given at the stores. I am always sad to see so many bags go out in carts, each bag only having a few items in each. What a waste of our resources. I continue to preach and teach by example the using of reusable. I have my daughter in love now using reusable bags and she has also become a recycle person (believing my grandson helped with those ideas as he as helped this grandma take recycling into town).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers & Eaters Merit Badge!

“I volunteered to help at a new community garden next to our local YMCA. We had our volunteer planting that extended over a couple days at the end of May.

The garden looked awesome, we were excited to watch it grow. We even made the local news!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Connecting Growers & Eaters Merit Badge!

“After volunteering to help put in a new local community garden, I was asked to help manage the week to week harvest and food distribution. We would harvest twice a week and deliver to local food pantries either that night or the next morning.

While I thought this was going to be a small part of my summer, it ended up being one of the most amazing things I could have dreamed being a part of. I met incredible people of all ages, who came together to support our area families in need. That is me in the red handkerchief, Joel (to my left) and I have been asked to come back next year and assist in the whole process again, but this time in a leadership role. I can't wait until next summer!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I began practicing yoga for something to keep my spirits up after my husband lost his job last year.

I love it, and still continue to go to the studio I started at as often as I can.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I am continuing to practice yoga on a personal level and have begun teaching it at our local YMCA.

I have been volunteer teaching at the Y for about 10 years but recently we began to get paid. I used my money to continue my exercise education so that I am a better instructor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  3:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I spent a minimum of 50 hours on a project not required by any of the other badges. I have dubbed it "Combat Crochet."

I took a look at the pile of large scraps I have acquired over the years and decided that I needed to either use them or donate them. So I stripped them into 1-1/2" strips roughly and stitched them end on end into one long fabric strip. This strip was them rolled into a ball that was about 18" in diameter. I put this giant ball of fabric into a basket, borrowed a huge crochet hook and found a pattern for a crocheted rug.

During this time, a small kitten (about 6 weeks old) moved into our chicken coop (abridged version), so I took her to the vet and let her into the house. She is now 4 months old and terrorizes everything.

I started the crochet rug several times before I was able to get something that looked more like a rug than a boat, then proceeded to hook to my little heart's content. The cat helped. I have holes in my legs and scratches on my hands and arms from her helping. I would pull up a little more fabric the crochet and find the cat dangling from it. Hence "Combat Crochet." It's not just arm wrestling fabric, it warding off the claws as well.

Crocheting fabric is nothing like crocheting yarn. With yarn I can gently hold my hook with my fingers, with fabric I have my whole fist in a death grip around the hook. My arms ache. Next time I think I will try braiding instead. It can't possibly be any harder.

My rug has ripples around the curves, but I am hoping that a good washing and a four person pull will shrink and stretch those out.

The little girl next to the rug is my little rescue. That cat usually jumps on her face like some octopus eating dinner. My poor Jilly dog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  4:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina Scheerer (Sobyn, #3275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected 6 reusable shopping bags and have put them in my car to use on shopping trips. Living in Germany reusable bags are highly encouraged at the local stores. Some don't have bags at all and others will charge you extra for a plastic bag so there is motivation to use reusable ones. However, more stores are providing plastic bags for free. Also, on base they provide bags so I am determined to make sure I use them on base as well as at the local stores.

We now have a good collection of reusable bags to cut down on our plastic bag usage.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page