Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  4:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I weeded through my storage containers and lids. I did this in the Spring when I signed up, but was surprised that it needed done again so soon! I am trying to keep up on things to save time and this was a reminder that I am not there yet...”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  4:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I looked into basil, oregano, fennel seeds, caraway seeds and cilantro.

I liked the fennel seeds. They reminded me of sausage so I used them in pasta sauce. I do not like the smell or taste of cilantro.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  4:34:42 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I planted Greek Oregano and Garlic Chives.

I used the Greek Oregano in sauces and froze some for the winter. I gave my Mom some garlic chives because she likes to use chives in the eggs we give her. I did not keep up with harvesting them as I should have so they went to flower. Unlike regular chives, they flowered white and we used some in bouquets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Denise Christiansen (Denise Ann, #5509) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have 10 reusable bags for shopping. I organized them in a container in the coat closet near the garage. I can grab them as I leave the house. I have also put several in my car in a bin in the back seat so I can just grab them if I have to stop on the way home from work or if I go to the farmers market near my house.

I have been using my reusable shopping bags on a regular basis for the last 2 months and having them handy makes it much easier to get in the habit of using the reusable bags.

I bring them to target, you get 5 cents off per bag (every little bit helps). I also keep the reusable tote for my favorite quilt shop in the car. I don't use as many plastic bags and I get to put my name in for a drawing each time I bring the bag into the shop and an additional discount.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Denise Christiansen (Denise Ann, #5509) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made the clothes pin apron from the farm girl Jubilee. Its a fun apron and I use it around the house. I have also made several tea towel aprons for gifts.

I think the clothes pin apron turned out really cute. Especially since it's out of one of MaryJane's fabrics. I also included a picture of a handy apron I made recently.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Denise Christiansen (Denise Ann, #5509) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a baby quilt for a friend who is expecting her first baby. We worked together to pick all of the fabrics, some in person, some long distance. I am proud of how it turned out and she really loves it.'

I think the quilt turned out well. I have made other quilts, but this was a collaboration with a dear friend to make something meaningful so it was a sweet task to complete.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Today was raining so I decide to clean out my storage cupboard. I recycled all the mismatched lids and plastic my containers. Now I use my vintage pyrex ware and cover ups. I love using my pyrex ware. I can take my leftovers from the refrigerator to the oven without making another dirty dish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“We don't spend much per meal so I just took a few dollars to the local food bank.

Our town has a population of around a thousand. Wages around here are low. Back in the day, there were thriving factories-clothing and glass- and the railroad was active. Now the train only runs a few times a year as a tourist draw. The historic bluestone is no longer a site for manufacturing-it has an art gallery, upscale food market, and offices. The silk mill is now an upscale coffee shop called the cocoon. The glass factory that attracted skilled craftsmen from Europe is a museum. (My Great Grandfather used to "rent" apple trees to this factory's workers-each family would get their own to pick from)Tourism provides a lot of the jobs around here. Some people commute into NYC and there are a lot of second homes around here. Many landlords are from the city and the result is that rent is too high in proportion to local wages. Because the local food bank is so small, each person/family is only allowed help four times each year. It is open twice a week in a local church. Clothes are also available for free. The woman who runs it was very grateful for the small donation. In the brief time I was there, four people came in for help.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I chose Irish because my Mother is full blooded. I learned how to count to ten and to say thank you, it's cold, and goodbye.

I have been wanting to learn Irish for over 30 years so I am glad for the "push". I read conflicting reports. Some say the language is dying because the British outlawed it when they took over and then the Irish government ruined it by centuries later making it a compulsory school subject. Others say there is experiencing a revival. I wish I had somebody to speak it with as the sheep never answer back...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have learned at least three new techniques and patterns, taught more than 5 other people how to quilt (by hand), and completed a quilt that took more than 50 hours to finish.

I made a log cabin quilt-as-you-go quilt using light and dark plaids (it's for my godson). Because it was not quite long enough, I added a large piece of plaid to one end, then did another round of strips to finish it. Upon looking at it further, I realized that my large piece required quilting, so I hand quilted soccer balls on it using a paper pattern. I think I got all the traces of blood off the back of it. Needless to say, my hands are tired, but I am finally done.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Dyeing for Color Merit Badge!

“I tried a new dye technique: fabric painting, stamping, and tie-dye. I explored basic color theory and have used my dye baths to create my own fiber color wheels and palettes (using plant dyes only so far). I completed another expert-level project using a new dye technique (tie dye, and resist dye) I have learned two ways to dye multiple colors in the same piece (different colors for tie dye, and over-dying a dyed fabric).

I dyed some fabulous colors either singly, by combining dye baths, and dying in separate dye baths. I found that animal fibers and plant fibers do not always take a particular dye the same way, especially blackberry. I posted photos of my experiments in the chat room and am hoping to see experiments of others. I am planning to plant a dyers garden this next spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“Origami is an interesting art and I have done different projects in creative paper folding. I like to make certain things for papercraft projects such as cards and journals.

One of my favorite patterns is tiny clothing such as shirts, pants, shorts, blouses, pleated skirts, A-line skirts, ties and purses. I've used many of these pieces on my cards and called them "Tiny Togs."

For this level I made some tiny shirts, but also a frog, ladybug, crane, triangle shaped box, heart that you can tuck a little surprise into and four different flowers for an actual of 11+ pieces.

These designs were all interesting, I liked the heart and tulip the best, as well as my favorite being the 'tiny togs.'”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Butler-Bebout (ConGrazia, #6691) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“We had an exceptionally wet spring and early summer here, and have seen many more fungi and mushrooms than usual. My husband, the kids and I spent an hour looking at the Missouri Dept. of Conservation edible mushroom page (http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/mushrooming/edible-mushrooms) to confirm that the fungus growing on several dead logs across the creek were edible.

We had success! We correctly identified the fungus as oyster mushrooms.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Butler-Bebout (ConGrazia, #6691) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“My main areas for foraging are SurePop Farm, 240 acres 12 miles S of Yellville, AR on Water Creek in rugged Ozark Mountain terrain, a few miles N of the Buffalo River; and Sunrise Farm, 40 acres of bottom and upland pasture on Greasy Creek 7 miles SW of Yellville. Sunrise Farm has been cultivated and foraged for generations. I searched there this spring for morel mushrooms in a small undisturbed area in a sycamore grove on the bank of Greasy Creek.Morels, happily, are one of the easiest to identify because of their "spongy Christmas tree" shape, and the area was relatively free from heavy undergrowth so they were easier to spot under dead leaves and logs. SurePop is remote and barely cultivated. I targeted the elderberry thicket along the creek, the deep ravine full of dead logs from the '09 ice storm, and the large flat area overgrown with kudzu on the S side of the farm.

I learned that, for me, the only way to forage for fungi in the off-season is to identify areas with conditions conducive to their growth. I checked these areas periodically through spring, summer and early fall of 2015. I fell in love with fungi! When the weather turned moist and still, an incredible variety of mushrooms, shelf fungi, puffballs and the like revealed themselves. I can identify elf's ear (not edible), morel, oyster, delicious milky cap, lion's mane, and puffballs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Lara Webb (#6477) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I was taught how to knit by my friend Martha. She is an amazing knitter and a huge inspiration for me! My first project was a hat for my son Jameson. It was a challenging first project as I jumped right in to knitting on circular needles. I spent about a week working on the project.

The little blue hat turned out great. My son loves it and I am delighted that I created something that will keep him warm in the winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Lara Webb (#6477) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I attended a fabulous pack basket making class at Deer Foot Farm. The class was taught by a very talented basket maker named Wanda. We spent the day making our baskets in a huge old barn filled with sweet smelling hay. It was delightful to say the least. We took a mid day break and were treated to homemade blueberry muffins that the instructor had baked that morning.

My pack basket came out very well. It was very neat to see that everyone in the classes basket came out a little different. Some were quite uniform while others had a round 'belly'. I have gotten a lot of use out of my basket and an very happy to have learned a new skill!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  4:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Barber (#6711) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made felt sewing kit for myself to keep in my office desk drawer... someone is always losing a button and they come to me for help!

I learned how to make a French seam (not so much fun!!) I had never even heard of a French seam before this. I discovered that while they make a pretty finish, they are a little tricky. It should be used on light weight fabrics and avoid curves!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman-Sullivan (#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I learned to make my own yogurt in my dehydrator!

I warmed a half-gallon of organic whole milk to 190 degrees. I then cooled the milk to 120 degrees. Then I stirred in a small carton of plain yogurt. I put the mixture into small serving-size cups with lids and placed them in my dehydrator. Set the dehydrator on the "Living Foods" setting, which is 115 degrees and let it run overnight.

In the morning I have a couple of week's worth of yummy fresh tangy and ORGANIC yogurt with no additives or goofy stuff in it.

When I am ready for my next batch, I just use the last of the little containers as my starter. I am enjoying having fresh clean yogurt and I am pretty spoiled now by the flavor and texture -- so much better than store bought.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  4:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingl (GoatieGirl, #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“My grandparents and I grow 2 large gardens each year. I mostly do the work of harvesting for them, while my grandmother and my mother were always the ones who would can our yearly harvest. Recently, I've been interested in learning their traditions, so I thought this merit badge would be a great start. For years now, We have been freezing creamed corn together for winter. It's a family tradition, and it requires a lot of help to accomplish. The corn must be husked, prepared, blanched, cooled then cut, packed and frozen.

This year's harvest was not good due to our weather here in Northwestern Pennsylvania. So I began to wonder, what other vegetables could be harvested and frozen for later use.

Earlier this summer, I picked several quarts of blueberries from our bushes. I often make blueberry baked goods, and jam, also the occasional wine. This year, I decided to try freezing some for later use in muffins and cereals.

I have also grown Acorn Squash this year. After Harvesting, I bake them in the oven for 2 hours with butter and brown sugar. Once finished, I allow them to cool and i pack the cooked squash into freezer jam containers. This winter i will be able to allow those to thaw and then heat them up for a fresh taste of fall harvest.
This past week, I harvested the last of our green and red bell peppers. A friend of mine taught me how to finely dice the peppers and to freeze them for later use in omelettes and casseroles. I'm really excited about what I have been learning.

I ended up with very little creamed corn this year due to a bad harvest. Only 6 freezer bags full. However, I have 9 cups of chopped bell peppers frozen to use in my breakfast omelettes. I'm still working at freezing the rest of my acorn squash. The thing I have enjoyed the most is the frozen blueberries. I can use them in so many ways. It makes me feel great because I waste a lot less berries. They freeze great, and are always ready to be thawed and used in any dish. Next summer, I'm hoping to try freezing some of my raspberries.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  4:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Julie Rogers (#6702) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I put together a celebration of my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful reception, delicious homemade food and I put together a beautiful scrapbook of the two of them.

While we didn't travel to all of our commonwealths like Queen Elizabeth, it was still pretty awesome.

So many friends and family we hadn't seen for a long time, all there to celebrate my parents. It couldn't have been a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Made all that work and planning so very worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  4:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Julie Rogers (#6702) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“We went camping with some close friends and family several weeks ago, and I decided to use that time for some Farmgirl Jubilee. We picked apples, used an old cider press and pressed 10 gallons of cider to enjoy and share. We also spent some time enjoying nature, sharing food and stories, and learning some new skills, such as cooking outdoors with a simple box oven.

For the second part, I took some of the cider, plus an issue of your magazine that someone had given me, and shared it with 2 friends who live across the street. Since then, I've heard how much they enjoyed both the cider and the magazine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  4:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Barber (#6711) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I loved working on this badge because I love bees! I think they are wonderful creatures and it was a joy to learn even more about them... in fact, my Hebrew name means "swarm of bees" which says a lot about my personality!

The Secret Life of Bees is an all time favorite book of mine, Sue Monk Kidd is a favorite author (The Mermaid Chair is a wonderful book also by Kidd)

My porch is a haven for all creatures insect and human... lots of plants, for the bees and hummingbirds and wicker chairs and cozy knitted throws for relaxing.

I read a bit on the internet regarding the health benefits of honey and discovered the differences between raw and processed honeys. I also found a local beekeeper who harvests and sells wonderful honey. I am going to look into volunteering at their facility. I would love to keep my own bees, but I live in an apartment in the middle of a beach town and it just cannot be done. Lastly, I purchased and read Bees: Natures Little Wonders... a great little read. I love the artwork in the book too.
I had such a fun time earning this badge... cant wait to start on the next one.

I know a lot more about bees after completing the requirements for this badge and my front porch is full of pretty bee friendly plants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Tami Cole (TamiC, #5377) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We only have one recycling drop off which is located about a mile out of town and is very close to where our farm starts.

There are four Bins.
Plastic, aluminum, Newspaper & Cardboard.

Every Spring I walked the barrow pits around our farm to pick up litter. I was glad to throw what I could into the Recycling bins instead of it going to the landfill.

Not only was I recycling I was cleaning up the litter that gets thrown out and getting exercise at the same time. This makes the roadways look better around our 3000 acre wheat farm. I can't believe how much trash gets thrown out along country roads.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  3:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Tami Cole (TamiC, #5377) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I RECYCLE:
Plastic, Aluminum, Newspaper & Cardboard

I am more conscious to all the codes on Plastic and cardboard. It's a habit now to check what can or can't go into our recycling bins. I make a weekly trip to the drop off.

I know Recycling is one of the most important things we can all do to help preserve our planet. It's been a fun habit to get into doing and I will continue to keep it up. In the photo I recycled an old tool box to use as a planter in my flower garden. Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  4:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I used 12 stitches from Coats & Clark book 100 embroidery stitches to make my sampler. I think it turned out pretty good as I have only done 2 of these stitches before.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page