Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  4:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“Way back in the Spring I read up on baking soda and baking powder but only in the past few weeks have I kept track of using them. I made apple bread using baking powder, tried a new biscuit recipe that used baking powder and soda, and a new sweet sage quick bread.

The family enjoyed the results. The biscuits looked so wet and strange that I was in despair when putting them in the oven, thinking it was a waste of ingredients. They surprised me and will be made again!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  4:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“The kids threw me a 50th birthday party and I asked for food donations for the town's food pantry instead of gifts.

We collected over 60 items including toothpaste and dish detergent. With coupons and sales a lot of the items were almost free.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  3:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Erin Williams (#6675) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My kids and I started recycling years ago after my divorce. It was a way for a bit of income, and we put it towards are runaway days. We learned what can and can't be recycled, and even saw the inside of a plant. It was a great learning experience for us. That was the beginning. Intermediate has been teaching my grandsons to recycle and reuse. And now I recycle all the time! I have extended it to clothing and other items as well.

I love to shop thrift stores!! My kids call it my "crazy shopping at crazy stores!" If they let me in, they must be crazy stores! My food shopping is at local farms, roadside vegetable stands, and local stores. I have eaten this way since I was a kid. Even been picking and harvesting at you pick farms! I am also a very capable fisher woman. My grandfather believed that as long as I could fish and produce my own garden stuff, I should never go hungry. It's a lesson I have passed to my kids and grand kids. And I have recycled for years. Great for the environment, got for your wallet!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  4:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Cristy Marxsen (Quiltwright, #6637) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“My gratitude journal was surprisingly easy to keep with a different note daily. No matter how the day goes, there is always something to find positive about it. I found sometimes, the smallest thing becomes huge enough to wipe out the stress of the day.

I like keeping the journal and will continue.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Cristy Marxsen (Quiltwright, #6637) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I had never been interested in organic food because of the assumed higher costs. Fortunately I was able to find sale pieces of organic meat at Target that were absolutely delicious. We have had organic stew beef, hamburger, steaks, grapes, apples, eggs, popcorn, cereal, flour, and even lollipops!

Will continue to get organic when available. My husband and I are now both fans!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  4:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Christine Erdman (NY pumpkin girl, #6634) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“For my Beginner, I sewed my 1/2 apron using a simple pattern that I bought at Joann's. I picked a bright pretty color and went to work...

It turned out wonderful and I have been wearing an apron every time I am in the kitchen baking or cooking dinner. My grandma use to always wear an apron.

For my Intermediate badge, I made a really frilly apron out of pretty pink polka dots and daisy material. I used two different prints and made ruffles and a pocket on the apron. It is so girly looking. I was very pleased with the outcome of my apron. It looks good enough to greet friends and family with when you are in the kitchen.

For the Expert badge, I chose a pattern that would make a frilly, pretty apron and picked out my material for it. I picked two different patterns to accent the pocket on the apron and the ruffles. Then the fun began.

I was very pleased with the outcome of my apron project. I made a girly frilly one for my granddaughter and I also make a John Deere apron for my grandson as he likes to help in the kitchen at times and he also likes to wear it when helping his dad with repairs in the garage.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  4:29:20 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Made a sewing kit, found buttons and thread at a flea market sale. This turned out fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Learned five new seams. Stitched seams on my homemade pincushion by hand. This as fun to learn, turned out fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“Sewed a half apron with adorable farm fabric I found at the flea market sale. Found pattern online at sew4home.com. Took about 2 1/2 hours.

I love it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  1:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Renee Stoughton (#6674) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“We are already a green house. :)

We started making gift baskets for all the new neighbors that are moving into the neighborhood. We make a great all purpose cleaner using just 3 ingredients. Baking soda works great on our stainless steal sink and pans! Laundry detergent smells wonderful. We even add in a little whipped body butter for the ladies of the house cause here in TX your skin gets really dry in the winter. Can't wait to start making bar soap!

Everything turned out great! Everything looked so pretty in the basket.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  1:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Renee Stoughton (#6674) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I know have over 20 reusable bags!!! Oh goodness!! I keep 1 in my purse and the rest in the car. That way I never forget them. After a shopping trip we hang a bag by the door and put all the other bags inside. When we head out to the car the next time. I grab the bags and throw them back in the trunk!

We always have a bag on hand! Sometimes we forget to grab them from the trunk but it's easy to run back out and get them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  1:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Angela Sloan (ladypony76, #6681) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I read the book "Animal Vegetable Miracle."

Grew turnip sprouts and ate them. I put them on a sandwich and it tasted like cabbage. It was awesome. I kept a food journal which got kind of sparse when I got sick just didn't feel like eating a lot but I wrote down what I ate. Eliminated artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated oils which I already had done. The sweetener was no problem. I am Type 2 diabetic which I do control with my diet so I am currently not on medication.

I use fresh fruits and veggies 1. Raw in salad or on side. 2. sauces for meats 3. marinades 4.juicing 5. oranges and lemons are great diffused in plain water for drinking 6.soups and stews (I put up fresh fruit and veggies) 7.homemade relish 8. smoothies 9. fresh apples for the soda bread 10. dips”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  2:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Abigayle Franklin (TheKnittingFarmgirl, #6692) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I've been a knitter for a number of years. In order to earn my merit badge, I taught a local lady to knit at our local coffee shop. In order to prepare for the lesson, I knit a sample dishcloth. Debbie, my student, then knit one of her own. I taught her how to cast on, garter stitch, and bind off.

Additionally, I discovered that our barista is pregnant with a little boy. So I added a crocheted border to it and 2 straps to make a bib. This experience was excellent! I created a knitter friend (my first in this new city) and a baby got a bib out of the deal!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  2:48:39 PM  Show Profile
SuZan Brown (imascholar2, #4394) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knit a cowl scarf. I didn't have a pattern so i just winged it. I think it is beautiful. Adding buttons was the crowning touch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingl (GoatieGirl #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I've recently been very interested in beeswax candles, so I thought this would be a fun project to achieve. As luck would have it, I found a local shop owner that was hosting a craft night. One of the 5 crafts happened to be Beeswax Tapers.

Little did I know, that candle making is very involved. I brought my mom along and we each made 2 small taper candles. I learned the best methods for melting the wax and the proper containers to use for making candles. We also discussed the differences between beeswax and soy or paraffin candles. The next day, I was very curious to learn more, So I began to do some research. There are so many different kinds of wax to use. And there are many different molds, and methods for candles, using various types of wax.

I also learned that there are several ways to scent a candle. The most popular being "fragrance oils'. In my beeswax class, I learned that you can naturally scent candles using spices (such as cinnamon or nutmeg). I much prefer this method over buying fragrance oils because the oils often contain may different chemicals.

I'm also fascinated by the color techniques for candles. Most candle makers prefer liquids or solids depending on the type of wax used. I'm very pleased with the natural color of beeswax and the beautiful natural honey smell to it.

I would love to gather my own candle making supplies. I recently read in one of my MaryJanesFarm Magazines about a woman who used old coffee percolators. I want to practice and get better at making beeswax tapers, as I would love to give them out as gifts someday. I have a new appreciation for candles and those that make them. I can certainly appreciate the cost of a well made candle, and I now now that candle making is not as easy as it looks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Origami Merit Badge!

“Folding paper into tiny little articles of clothing is one of my favorite origami projects. I call these clothes “Tiny Togs” and have used them to make cards, wall hangings, tags and journals. There are several variations on folding for a blouse or shirt. You can add a tie or vest to a shirt for a masculine look. There is the A-line skirt and the pleated skirt, shorts, pants and little purses. Some of the folding is intricate to get the tapers and tucks just right. And, of course, your own imagination can take you beyond what the instruction pages, if you have them, tell you. Buttons, ribbons, and other embellishments can be added as well.

I’ve chosen this project for the expert level because it is my favorite and these “Tiny Togs” are still things I use in my papercrafting projects. It has taken approximately 3 hours to complete this project. This project, when framed, will be a great wall hanging for my sewing room or my craft room. I’ll be making more “Tiny Togs” in the future as they are so adorable and fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Last year I spoke with my new-to-me chapter about having a bag swap and the importance of reusable bags (I was preaching to the choir). This November we were finally able to have our sew-in and do a bag swap (YEAH!).

We had fun!!!!! We originally started with 7 people and one virtual member for our bag swap, so I tie dyed 8 canvas bags with blackberries. Do to attrition, we only had 4 people in the swap, but I made pockets for all the bags anyway.

The bags were barely dry and had no pockets when my daughter decided which one was going to be hers (I still need to complete the pocket). Using some of my hand-dyed fabrics from another badge, I made pockets and stitched them onto the bags. I then flipped the bags over and using dyers crayons, stenciled a bug on the backside of each bag.

MaryJane sent our chapter several blank canvas bags that we have since proceeded to decorate. I made a pocket for one of the blue and white bags. Watch the mail as no swap is complete until you receive a bag in return.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  2:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“I have seen the planet Mercury, a variable star, several of the moons of Jupiter (young and old), a meteor shower (Leonids), and the most recent lunar eclipse. I have also been lucky enough to observe a satellite, and the earth’s shadow (partial solar eclipse projected onto white paper using binoculars).

Having spent part of my lifetime with a man that was a night sky nut, I got to see a lot of different night time elements and learn a few tricks for seeing some of the daytime ones.

We were up in the Smokey Mountains when I was able to observe Mercury with the naked eye. It's so close to the sun that you normally can't see it. I also was able to see the green flash just as the sun sets (a very rare observance as it only happens under certain conditions I am told).

Since the South has many clear nights, and is closer to the equator the the Northwest, I was also able to see any number of satellites flash through the sky and lay on a blanket in the yard observing meteor showers.

The most recent (and we had a clear sky for) was the lunar eclipse. WOW!!! (I even accidentally got some really cool photos with special effects).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“Quilling is an interesting craft and can produce some beautiful things. I think it requires patience and is something you can't hurry through. Finding just the right adhesive is important!

I completed "pictures" of flowers that are 3-D with leaves, petals in two colors, flower centers and little embellishment scrolls. I like the end result of the flowers and will frame the pictures for gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I got rid of Windex, Lemon Pledge, Mop&Glo, Dollar Store All Purpose Cleaner, Comet, Laundry Soap, Dryer Sheets, Dish Soap, and Airwick Air Freshener. I put the liquids in glass jars and took them to the Hazerdous Waste Disposal. I saved the spray bottles for making my own.

I started a notebook and pasted my mission statement on the cover. After reading about cleaners, I feel good about getting all that "junk" out of our home, and that I am doing my part to help the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  3:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I don't like the cloth bags, so I've gathered up six paper bags with handles. When they get worn out they will go in the recycling.

I used the bags shopping today and they work fine. Just have to be careful not to make them to heavy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Becky Gilson (bearprairiechick, #6695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I received a Handy Dandy recycling poster from Waste Connections of Washington, and posted it in the kitchen. We don't have curbside recycling, but it's good to know there are many other resources available.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Merrigan (#6186) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“In our area, you can not recycle Styrofoam or oil in our curbside. No computer or parts either. Our recycling is picked up every 2 weeks and usually full to overflowing receptacle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  4:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Merrigan (#6186) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I bought or made six shopping bags and have been using them ... mostly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  4:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Merrigan (#6186) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I checked packaging soaps, coffee, coffee creamer, cereal boxes for recycling and biodegradable packaging. Checked internet for green cleaners.

I've been using green cleaners and am continuing to check for biodegradable or recyclable packaging.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page