Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Galbreath-Fleming (missgive, #927) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I created my own cleaning agent today, from white vinegar and pine oil, diluted, to cut the vinegar smell. I put it in a spray bottle and use it on my bathroom, my counters, etc., to clean every surface in the home. Because of the pine oil, it does not hurt my furniture either. I also added baking soda to kill mildew in the shower. I also read about and researched the cost of the materials to make a laundry soap, dishwasher detergent, rinse agents, and for cleaning my terrazo floors.

I use the cleanser every day and have for the past week. I like the clean it delivers and the pine oil makes the smell nicer. I am still trying to figure out where to find the Boraxo hand-soap and the "washing soda," but found the Borax powder and large baking soda, both reasonably priced. I also collected buckets with lids to store the laundry soap and dishwasher soap for when I make it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Galbreath-Fleming (missgive, #927) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I have been reading about the corporate way of raising beef, chickens and other foods. The materials include the EatWild web-site and watching Food, Inc. I have watched other programs about thse feed-lot set ups for turkeys and chickens as well as beef. I have learned about the negative impacts on the food we eat as well as the environment. Grass-fed beef is higher in nutritional values, leaner and lower in fats and cholesterol. This makes grass-fed beef preferable all by itself.

From my research, I have learned about the increase in vitamins and nutrients, especially Omega-3s and CLA in beef that is grass-fed. If you consider the way that Kobe' beef is raised - with calming massage, an organic, healthy diet and the result of tender beef, you can learn that the stress from food-lot farms will bring lower quality beef. There is also a lot of negative impact on the environment from feed-lots - to the air, water and land. Allowing animals to be pasture-raised is more humane, produces healthier food sources and is environmentally sound."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Hughes (bdhughes77, #1223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"As I’ve been knitting for years and had this fun self striping yarn I’ve been anxious to use, I knit a pair of socks this weekend for my beginning knitting project. I worked on them Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for a total of about seven hours.

Last week I called an old friend who has been asking me to teach her to knit for a long time. We got together over the weekend and she mastered the casting on and the knit and purl stitches. She left with a scarf started and my email address in hand just in case!

My socks turned out quite well. They are a little wild for my taste so they’ll will probably be a gift!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (Needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put a sewing basket together with the required items, and added a thimble to the basket also.

It turned out real nice and is easy to pick up and take with me where ever I go."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (Needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Our sewing guild did troop bags for overseas and we learnd how to french seam and to do straight seams along the casing for the draw string. I did a table runner for St. Patrick's day and did hand stitches on the border.

The table runner turned out great and I was real proud of myself for the work. Practice makes perfect they say."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Ann Lierz (Ann Bernadette, #847) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"Following the instructions in MaryJane's books, "Stitching Room" & "Idea Book" I made four Granny Dish Clothes. I used 100% cotton of medium weight and an "I" crochet hook. Two colors of yarn, 1) light peach twisted with cream and putty; 2) Putty color. SC stitches. I did four total clothes (2) of each color and 2 of each color trimmed with the opposite color. Then I crocheted a loop to latch with an old button to hang them on a hook.

I was very pleased with the turn out. My daughter said they really were cute! (She loves me unconditionally). ;) She is learning how to crochet under my instruction. Her interest comes and goes, depending on her current activities with school and friends. She is 12."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Ann Lierz (Ann Bernadette, #847) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"This button collection was started by my mother-in-law's mother. Some are from the depression era that she saved from blouses, coats and overalls. My mother-in-law gave them to me with love knowing that I love everything old and enjoy sewing notions. They are very special to me, as both women have passed on.

I continue to add to this collection and have many other jars of buttons. However these buttons I sparingly use for only special projects and gifts. They are lovely to look at and I share them with my neice that has cerebral palsy. She loves to dump them out and looks at each one describing them to me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Hughes (bdhughes77, #1223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a 16" X 20" wall quilt from a Jo Morten design for my beginner level project. I used scraps left over from other projects and it took about six hours to complete.

It turned out really well. Of course, there are some points that don't line up and are little "crooked" here and there but that's the charm of "homemade."

http://s996.photobucket.com/albums/af87/bdhughes/?action=view¤t=MaryJanesBadges001.jpg
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Rose Coffman (Horselady, #965) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out all my kitchen cupboards of plastic storage containers. A few I donated to the church sale and some I put in for recycling. Everything that didn't have a matching lid went into recycling and I put all remaining containers together with their lids and continue to try to keep them together and organized. I recycled some old ones that were pretty scratched and simplified what I had.

I have to keep reminding myself to match the lid with container after it is washed. I want to keep it organized on a daily basis so I don't have to do a huge cleaning out again.
So far, so good."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #931) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've used Method cleaners and Seventh Generation cleaners for years. I like to make my own cleaners for laundry or windows.

Using homemade cleaners makes it easier for me to let my toddler play around and not worry about chemicals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #931) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"For the past year or so, my husband and I have had his parents over to our home just about once a week for a play date with our daughter. There is no television allowed. We do puzzles, play games, and dance around.

Its been a great way for our daughter to spend time with her grandparents and for them to get to know her. Plus, I enjoy entertaining and cooking so its a perk for me as well!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  1:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read the info on eatwild.com and was upset to read of the cruel treatment to the animals. Grass fed is much better for you than commercially raised beef in so many ways. My family eats deer meat that my sons hunt for in our backyard and we also buy a cow from a local boy who raises one and sells it at the fair. I was raised on moose meat that my father brought home each fall. It was delicious and gave us enough meat for the whole year. My son and husband will try for a moose this year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  1:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read the book BEEF - the untold story and learned quite a bit. Some of it I knew and I am definately a supporter for eating local beef that has been fed good food and pastured and also of hunting deer and moose locally. We have tons of deer and moose here, they are actually a hazard. People die every year by hitting them with snowmobiles, cars or trucks."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  2:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my container cupboard and was surprised how many extra lids I had and no matching container. I don't know where they all went. Anyway, it is nice to know what I have and what I need to look for.

It looks nice and orderly and I can get what I need at a glance."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  2:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I went to a neighbor's house and she gave me a start. Then, I kept on starting, ripping out and restarting because it wasn't right. It was much harder than I thought it would be. Now I can do something basic without trouble.

It turned out good. It took a long time to get it right, but I just kept finding diagrams to describe the stitch and then I finally was able to complete a washcloth."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I enjoyed doing this. I loved the book on gardening with heirloom seeds. It was full on information and also pretty pictures. I did not know about heirloom seeds and always bought organic seeds. It was fun searching for different varieties. It's planting time right now and I am excited to try this gardening adventure."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Christine Veert (northernkid, #955) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I got a book on horse breeds at the library and tried driving around and identifying the different breeds. But, I must say, it was difficult. Some are easy to spot, like paints or clydesdale and some were not.

My husband, son, daughter and I went riding in the canyon in Nevada. It was AWESOME! I absolutely fell in love with my horse and to our surprise our son asked everyday to go back riding for the 5 hour trail ride. He was like a duck to water, a natural cowboy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Standley (jaschelle, #1132) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"My mom taught me to crochet when I was a young girl, however, just recently I have been crocheting like crazy after years of small projects every now and then!! I made slippers from Mary Jane's "Makin' Hay" issue, and they turned out adorable!! It took me several nights over the period of a week, a little bit at a time!! I added cute "daisies" made with the Crazy Daisy Winder I bought on Ebay last year!! I love this little tool!! And love my slippers!!

Caaaa-ute!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Standley (jaschelle, #1132) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet which I wear on my left wrist. This bracelet has special meaning to me!! Two weeks ago, we put in an offer for a log cabin home for sale on 2.17 acres. That weekend we were very confident, and when me and my two young sons visited the local Joann craft store, we purchased two "log cabin" buttons because the boys loved them and said they look "like that house!!" We did not get the house, and I was in tears!! Knowing how much I loved it, my 5 yr old drew a picture of a log cabin and said it was to "make you happy". I have the picture in a frame sitting on my nightstand. I made the button bracelet with the log cabin button the day we found out the first offer fell through, and our offer was accepted. We are now in escrow due to close in 14 days!! My dream has come true!! Now I, (although much smaller scale) can have a "farm" of my very own!! Right now we are on a 1/4 acre lot, so this is HUGE for me!! My button bracelet is worn to remind me to be thankful every day for the true "gifts" I receive in life. A new home for my new farmgirl attitude!! Thank you Lord!!

Very cute and inspirational!! I used all buttons from my grandpa's oxford shirts I received when he died last year, and the one purchased "log cabin" button....I used a vintage piece of elastic from my grandmother's things and used embroidery floss to string each button to the elastic. Love that I can take it on and off!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Standley (jaschelle, #1132) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected six reusable totes for shopping. I do have to admit, this was a tough one (I kept leaving my bags at home!!), until I realized the trick is to KEEP THEM IN THE BACK OF THE VAN!!! Now I have them wherever I go, and it feels good to use them!! I wish I would have done this a long time ago!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  4:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Beth Fedorko (Beth From VA, #1207) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I built and began a compost bin in our yard back in October of 2009. I made the compost bin from scrap wood and chicken wire. All fall and winter I added chopped leaves, garden scraps, and vegetable scraps from the kitchen. A pitchfork is perfect for turning the compost and a generous snowfall and rain had helped too! We are looking forward to using our "garden gold" in our new vegetable garden this spring!

The compost bin is perfect for our size yard. It opens in the front for access for turning the compost and eventually for amending it in our garden. Can't wait to harvest our compost later this spring!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Beth Fedorko (Beth From VA, #1207) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a pea teepee from a old broom stick and twine I bought at an estate sale. I also used a discarded pot I rescued from a neighbor's trash to house my pea teepee! I used branches that came from broken trees after out February blizzard and more estate sale twine zigzagged through the branches to make a bean trellis!

It is early in the season here, but I am eagerly anticipating the peas on my "FREE" teepee! The beans will be planted by my "FREE" trellis when the soil is a little warmer! It turned out great and SO easy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  4:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a doll quilt for my granddaughter from 3" flannel squares. Quilted and backed it and applied binding.

It is purple and she loves it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #931) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"A friend from work had surgery a few weeks ago. I went to her house with a few other girls to cook, clean, walk the doggy, and spend time with our friend.

It was wonderful to get away from our own busy lives to help a friend in need. It brought us closer and we even decided to hang out once a month just to talk or watch American Idol together!" ;-)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  11:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Annika Laurea-Wood (Annika, #13) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Well, I finally did it. I went though all of my craft bins and gathered my sewing stuff all together. I have a lot of my gran's buttons and dress pins. I found a little cream pitcher at a thrift store and sewed a pin cushion to go in it. I think it looks very country cute and it certainly does a good job of holding pins and needles.

I love having my sewing stuff all in one basket. I find that I am enjoying my hand sewing even more with everything that I need ready and close at hand."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page