Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Beth Fedorko (Beth From VA, #1207) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have a small car trunk and most of the room in there is taken up by my collection of reusable shopping bags! I buy them as souvenirs whenever I travel too! I use them every time I shop in every store I visit. They are especially useful at the farmer's market and the flea market! It is wonderful not to have all that plastic to take to the recycling bin at the grocery store!

Using my reusable shopping bags is bliss! I get 5 cents credit for each one used at the grocery store, so it saves me money. The thought of taking my goods home in a plastic bag is now so very strange to me. I love my bags!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  12:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Kim Luxton (cherrypit, #1308) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Crochet badge.

"My mother-in-law was with us last year for seven days, she taught me how to crochet. Since she left I have made five large afghans and three baby blankets.

I have mine on the back of the couch and it is used everyday. Right now our cat is curled up on it.

My neighbor loves hers and my daughter sleeps with hers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #931) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I didn't even know what organic food was until we got a Whole Foods semi-close to where I live. I guess the whole "green movement" made me more aware of what I was eating and what I was missing out on. Before my daughter was born, however, I hadn't really bought much for myself in the ways of organic food. Once she was born and I really got into what was "in" my food, I was determined to make sure that she had almost nothing but organic food, especially in the dairy and meat department. I grow my own organic veggies so that took care of the produce. When we switched to organic dairy products, I felt like I was shorting myself the entire time up to that point. Aside from the fact that there aren't hormones and antibiotics and Lord knows what else, it just tastes so much better.

We only buy organic dairy and meat products when it comes to Sophia. If we buy canned or frozen veggies, we almost always buy organic. Even when it wasn't convenient for our budget to buy it for ourselves, Sophia always got it. There was no selling me on it. I even managed to convert my mother who now pretends she has been at it all along." :-P
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  1:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #931) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Get 'er Done badge.

"My mom and I are our own "get'er done" team. We plan our gardens together to help each other get the harvest that we want because she is better at growing certain things and vice versa. For years we have made up task lists in the Spring to last through winter, whether it be home improvement projects or gifts to make for the holidays. One by one we tackle them together.

We have spent countless hours in our favorite local coffee shop making to-do lists and planning things, as well as countless hours carrying them out. We've painted rooms, reorganized garages, made numerous trips to Goodwill. We've made a bunch of hypertuffa troughs for friends and family (and ourselves). ;-) We come in like a tornado, turn the radio up, and go to town on whatever task is at hand!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  1:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne Wilson (Addy731, #931) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I'm still pretty new to sewing. I've always wanted to do it because I'm so tall and scrawny that clothes never seem to fit right. I've purchased patterns over the years with high hopes that I would one day get the guts to actually open one of them and get to sewing. Well, recently that happened. I've sewn a few pairs of pants, crib bedding (bumper, skirt, quilt, and a diaper stacker), a yarn organizer, a crochet hook organizer (which I made up the pattern for), and few other odds and ends.

I've learned all kinds of stuff about my sewing machine and the stitches I can use. I've learned a few different seams, including flat, felled, and french."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knit several dishcloths and taught my daughter-in-law to knit.

Everything turned out well and my daughter-in-law knit scarves for her family for Christmas."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristie Norwood (Bugabee, #1165) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned to crochet by my aunt when I was very young. I moved away shortly after learning and I never practiced so I lost the knowledge. A coworker brought in a beautiful scarf one day and she promised to show me how to crochet again. I spent a Saturday at her house and came home with the worst scarf I had ever seen! It has taken me a year to learn to loosen my fingers so my stiches are so tight.

I crochet several times a week. I mainly do granny squares for scarves but I wanted to do something that I could use everyday. I crotched these cute little dishcloths that work great! Since we had a minimum of three hours I just kept making more and more. I am up to 14!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Galbreath-Fleming (missgive, #927) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Pay It Forward badge.

"When I began this process in early February, we averaged $1.15 per person per meal. I started shopping differently, making and baking a lot more with my sourdough mother and doing more from scratch rather than processed foods. I began a food drive for the Haitians after the earthquake. Several families relocated here to Central Florida to be with family members in the hospital. I worked with the girls in my Farmgirl Cultivator group and they got all of the students in their little school to bring in food that the Haitians would eat - rice, non-fat dry milk, beans and other canned foods. We collected over 30 lbs. of food, along with boxes of personal hygeine needs, clothing and household needs. On Friday, I delivered a pickup filled with food and other supplies to Catholic Charities who are providing the Haitian families with housing during this time.

I was particularly touched that the kids learned what the Haitian people preferred to eat so they could collect food they would eat. Most (about 85%) of our students come from low-income homes so their families struggle to have enough to eat - but they gave anyway. The 30 lbs. of food included foods such as "plantain" chips as the kids knew they ate plantains. The milk (non-fat dry milk powder) was specifically for the kids and they brought bottled water to go with it. They brought large bags of rice and bags of dried beans. They worked hard with me on this project - about eight of the girls went without lunch to save the money to buy their contributions. They also collected from family members and neighbors. They loaded the truck with excitement - we all felt good to know we could provide tangible help to folks we will never meet. I am sorry I did not get a photo of the truck load - I forgot my camera!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made tons of home made ornaments for my own tree and as gifts.

My tree is overloaded with my own and ornaments that my kids have made through the years and now some made by my granddaughter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected dozens of reusable bags and keep them in my car.

I have put a label on my steering wheel to remind me to take them in the stores.
It's working now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I knit a dress for my grandddaughter to wear to a wedding rehearsal.
I knit it in the company of my sister.

I hate assembling knitting projects so this was a good way to make sure it got finished by a deadline. My granddaughter looked adorable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Knitting badge.

"I knit an afghan in an entrelac pattern which is a pattern I have never used before. I also taught 10 women to knit a beaded scarf.

I love the cozy afghan but learned that I would rather knit than teach others to knit. I found it very stressful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (child in harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I researched the legalities of my Earth School and fine-tuned my educational plan.

I advertised for my enrollment and set dates for my first session.

I also developed a webpage for my Earth School here:
http://www.harmonywoodsfarm.com/EARTH-SCHOOL.html

I am planning a Parent Info Night/Open House.

I will also have tshirts made for the children.

Everything is going wonderfully. I have eight children already enrolled and others very interested. There are also people interested in a younger group as well as an older group so I could offer more days in the future.

I am very excited because *learning* is much more than book work and if we want our children to truly care about our earth, they need to be directly involved with it..to *connect* with it on a personal, hands-on level."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (child in harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through every drawer and our tall standing cabinet and got rid of everything we didn't use.

I gave some items to goodwill, perhaps *somebody* could use them, and I recycled some covers to use as paint palettes for our varied art projects and art journal workshops.

It looks great but most of all FEELS great. I believe in living simply anyway and I have never been a kitchen gadget person, but it still amazes me how unnecessary stuff does creep into our lives.

I intend to have a *pare down* session once a month in my kitchen." :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (child in harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We drive out of our way to take the roads where the horses are, from the lone Clydesdale, to the herd of white Arabians, to the quarter horses. We spend the most time admiring the haflingers, our most favorite, at the property with the red barn.

We admired the haflingers for years and took the leap and bought two weanling half sisters. We never owned horses and we are also beginner riders. We had to research every single thing and we still do. It has been an immense journey. Our horses will soon be trained under saddle. Despite the hard work and not having the experience they have made our lives richer, although not financially hahahaha."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Kim Luxton (cherrypit, #1308) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made aprons for my girlfriends for Christmas.

Everyone loved them. I want to make some with ruffles next."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Kim Luxton (cherrypit, #1308) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Community Action badge.

"I have worked very hard with the SCS police department to set up our neighborhood watch program. I walked the neighborhood and delivered information to all my neighbors then set up a meeting with my neighbors and the police. We had a great turnout and will be getting a sign put at the end of our street letting everyone know. I am the captain of my block and look out for all my neighbors.

I have met several neighbors that I didn't know before and they in turn met several new neighbors too. We will get together ever few months."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Kim Luxton (cherrypit, #1308) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I started knitting about 8 years ago. My mother-in-law comes into to town in the summer and we do crafts together. We spent several hours knitting. I have taught my daughter, my girlfriend Jackie, my cousin Kathy and her daughter too. I have made several dishcloths and scarves. I made slippers for Christmas for my self and my daughter.

It's wonderful there is nothing more relaxing then sitting and knitting. Everyone always love a homemade gift."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  5:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Ann Lierz (Ann Bernadette, #847) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"This quilt was made for another special little great nephew who is also my God Son. It was a bit more difficult in the fact that I hand appliqued all of the bears and their faces onto the blocks.
I took a class at the local quilt shop from 10am to 4:30pm with my sister and four other women interested in learning the art of hand appliqué. A couple of them I knew and the ones I didn't know we were friends by the end of the day.

It turned out better then I had expected actually. I took my time because I wanted it to be special for him. His Mommy & Daddy were not expecting the quilt so when they opened it at Christmas they were surprised and made a fuss over it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected six bags for "green shopping"... and have really committed myself to using them. I put my coupon box in them, so I won't forget to take them into the store, and when I am done unloading groceries, put them right back in to the car. It's amazing how much stronger and easier they are to use than flimsy, thin plastic bags! I am shopping at our local Shoprite, and they give you back money for each bag you bring in, so I am saving money, too! I have made them part of my "shopping routine", just like my coupons, list and can recycling. I can't imagine now going back to plastic because the reusable bags are so much more convenient and strong, and help save the planet!

I also have been using a vinegar/water/soap cleaner I have made myself and put in a reusable spray bottle. I use it more and more for all cleaning, including my glass, countertops, shower doors, just about everything. I was skeptical at first, that it would not work as well as my "commercial" glass and surface cleaner, but it is much better and saves soooo much money. I also noticed my fingernails have stopped peeling and are healthy after swithing to my homemade "green" cleaner!

This is the beginning of a healthier, greener life for myself and my family. The baby step of committing to the use of the bags (I already had a few, but being in the Sisterhood has inspired me to be committed to always using them) has inspired bigger steps to going green, recycle and go organic. Thank you for the inspiration! The 'date finished' is today, but this will be an ongoing life change."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Brennan (N@n, #661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I made a Greek style chicken BakeOver and took it to a ladies night out Pokeno party. Also posted the recipe on line with MJ.

It was super."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Crenshaw (shoerswife1, #1280) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have tons of reusable shopping bags and have used them for several years. I love that they hold more, and you never have to worry that they will rip like the plastic ones. Another plus is that you don't have to drag them back to the store to recycle them!

Love them!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mowery (barefootmama, #1260) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"This weekend I bought eight reusable bags for my shopping! All of them are green with happy people on them. :)

These things are great I wish I would have done this sooner. I love the sturdy bags and knowing I am helping the earth and also teaching my kids that one step at a time we can restore our planet, it's a great feeling!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have found that baking soda and vinegar work for almost everything and have gotten rid of all the other cleaners.

It's working great and I learned that I can add some essential oils so that it doesn't smell like a salad every time I clean."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I have been concentrating for the past several months buying only organic produce and local. I have been using budget mix for BakeOvers, pie crusts and biscuits.

YUM!
Everything tastes better and we are eating so much healthier now that I have quit buying and making things from boxes."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page