Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I live in a little 1 bedroom apartment, seemingly built before the 60's, so EVERYTHING squeaks. I lived in a big house, owned by my family, so I'm used to maintaining things.

I went around and oiled all of the hinges, windows, and even my sewing machine! I keep my garden tools clean, but they don't require oil. But some of my construction tools do, so I took care of them real quick.

Oiling my door hinges were more difficult than my sewing machine, but I'm not hearing any squeaks anymore. It took me awhile to dig out my box of construction tools, but keeping them nice is worth it. It took me 2 years of training to earn them after all!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Since I live in an apartment, I can't own chickens. But every now and then, when I go to my sister's house, I get the opportunity to help take care of chickens. This last trip; her friend had some chicks (aka: Peeppeeps!). We had to change their food and water and check them for 'mud butt'. Then we had to go collect eggs and wash them.

When I'm at home, I do buy eggs from local farmers, when they are available.

As for my 'animals'; I do have a cat. There are not a lot of organic options where I live, but I have switched her to a more natural dry food. I do keep my eyes out for better food, for my beastie girl!

Even though I didn't grow up around chickens, we get along pretty well. Most of the Peeppeeps stand up in your hand when you pick them up. But there was one who wanted to take a nap in my hand! I almost put him/ her in my pocket, and smuggled it home! :P
I included a picture.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I started my backyard chicken flock in April 2015 with three pullets: a Barred Plymouth Rock (Named Roxy), a Buff Orpington (Buffy), and a Golden-Laced Wyandotte (Dotty). I have since added four more girls to my flock: an Easter-Egger (Eggy), a Brown Leghorn (Leggy), a Rhode Island Red (Ruby), and an Austrolorp (Aussie). They live in a 10'x6' Chicken coop at night and are fed only Organic.

I've attached a photo of the sign I made for their coop. I've since added more chickens to the sign in order to reflect how many girls I have. My microfarm is called "Violett Farm" in honor of my German heritage I used the German spelling of violets. My great-grandmother had a beautiful garden and was one of the original Pioneer settlers in Chehalis, WA. I'm also named after her, so I feel very connected to my roots as I expand my microfarm.

My Pinterest Profile is: A Yankee Belle.

Side-note: I'm 22 years old and my friends have started to get married and have babies, but all I want is to do is: go to work, so that I can pay for my TinyFarm. I've recently acquired a TinyHouse that I'm finishing so that I can live in it. It's under 100sqft and is able to function off the grid. I'm super excited to have my "little house in the Pacific Northwest woods"!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I visited a local dairy, "The Flying Cow Creamery" in Rochester, WA. They taught me how to milk a cow. It was a little like Shirley Temples' attempt in "Heidi", where I was tugging and squeezing and attempting how I thought you would milk a cow, before they finally showed me the correct way...

Then, I visited "Kaashill Farms" (a local goat rescue & dairy in Shelton, WA) where I attended a class about how to care for goats and how to start your own dairy.

I would LOVE to add goats or cows to my micro-farm, but it's not feasible right now. Instead, I added more chickens to my flock. My flock of (now seven) chickens are all heritage breeds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I added a compost pail to my kitchen and separated out compostables from veggie scraps (that I feed my chickens). Chickens cannot eat: Garlic, raw potatoes, Onions, or anything that is moldy/spoiled because they'll get sick. I also visit my local coffeehouse every week for free coffee grounds for my compost heap.

I love how rich my compost heap became; it looks like a "bag of gold" that people buy at the store. I love how satisfying it is to dump a shovelful at the base of my plants and see the worms crawl out of it. (My chickens love it too!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“My entire county (Thurston County, WA) has an ordinance that bans plastic shopping bags at stores. They also charge a bag fee for paper bags, so in the spirit of thriftiness I rounded up all of my family's canvas totes that we've collected over the years (ie: my Girl Scout Brag-Bag and various freebies from county fairs). We also purchased a couple of mesh laundry bags from the dollarstore (3 for $1) and use them as re-usable produce bags.

We then divided them equally and put those bags into one bag and then into our car trunks. All you have to do is grab that bag full of bags before you walk into the store.

I love that our county is so green-minded! It's important to remember to bring your grocery bags into the store, or else you might be unlucky enough to pay for a paper bag on a famous "Pacific North-wet" day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My city's waste disposal charges three-times as much as the cost of taking waste to the junk yard yourself. Our disposal site is divided into different stations for specific things:

-Goodwill donation truck for use able items.
-Hazohouse for hazardous items like cleaning solutions or paint.
-Recycling center for paper, plastic, cans, etc.
-reclaimed textiles bin for reusing fabric items.
Then after you've unloaded your recyclables for free, they have a traditional dump. They weigh your vehicle upon entry and again at the exit. If there is less than a 200lb difference; it's $18.

My family makes a trip to the free recycle center once a month and to the trash center once every 4 months. We currently only take 4 regular-sized trash cans to the dump in, but I'm looking into purchasing a small truck to use around the farm. It would be so much easier then using our fold-and-go-seating mini van.

My best friend and I also completed the center's Patch Program by completing a variety of green projects. We had such a fun time doing it together! (it was my way of showing her how much fun it would be to become a Farmgirl. We met when we were in Girl Scouts, so it feels right doing projects together. She plans on joining the sisterhood after her baby is born. We're going to join or start a chapter together!) Super excited!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“I worked as a Washington State Senate Page in high school, so I was excited to see this merit badge. I started by attending several County commissioner meetings as well as Thurston County meetings.

Most attendees were surprised to see me at the meetings because I'm 22yrs old and the average age was 50yrs old. They tell me how it encourages them to see a young person interested in social issues. My State just had our Presidential Nominee Caucus where I worked as a volunteer. I assisted in directing attendees to the correct area based on their voting precinct.

I was also elected as my precinct delegate to represent my precinct at the County Caucus in two weeks. If selected I will be a delegate for my legislative district and continue on to state caucus. I compare the whole process to a Miss America pageant, because attendees vote for their delegates at each level (County, State and then Miss America).

Its a long and tiring process just to select a candidate for the Presidential Elections in my state.

(I attached a picture of me as a Senate Page.)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Paula Stack (YankeeBelle, #6076) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“I am a volunteer intern for "Olympia for Bernie Sanders".

I help spread awareness about the candidate's platform and encourage Olympia (and Thurston County) residents to vote by providing voter information as well as Washington State voter registration forms. I've even created t-shirt designs to promote our cause.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“I have a neighbor who, like me, doesn't feel well sometimes. Whenever I have the ingredients; I make a pot of soup, put it in jars, and take it over to her. I've been doing this for awhile.

Yesterday, I was just about to start cleaning house, when she called. She wanted to call and cancel on a future engagement, because she was hurting, and didn't think she'd be well enough.

So instead of cleaning; I whipped up some soup, cut a few slices of my bread, and took it over to her.

She was feeling better by the next day. I eventually got my cleaning done, but ended up falling asleep in my recliner that night.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  2:59:30 PM  Show Profile
SuZan Brown (imascholar2, #4394) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I learned how to crochet as a child. However, I basically had to start over as I couldn't remember what I had learned. For my beginning merit badge I chose to make a snowflake afghan. It has 59 individual snowflake hexagons which were joined with a running stitch. Each "flake" took about 20 minutes so I estimate that the entire afghan took me 20+ hours.

My afghan turned out quite well. It passed the inspection of my supervisor and constant companion, MonAmie (shetland sheepdog).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Apples Merit Badge!

“Requirements for this badge are a choice of one of two things. I am able to use both requirements because I live smack dab in the middle of apple country here in southwest Colorado. I’m surrounded by fruit orchards, one of which is what my dad planted, which includes several hundred apples trees of different varieties.

First of all, when we do have apple harvest there is always some occasion to include apple picking and we usually invite friends over for a meal during the harvest that includes all kinds of apple dishes. I always decorate for apple season during that time as well. Favorite things to make are applesauce and apple crisp. My hubby also likes to make apple crepes for breakfast/brunch. I always share my recipes with family and friends and sometimes am able to send samples of dishes home with them as well.

Secondly, we already have 15 apple trees on our 3-acre property which used to be part of our family farm. When my hubby and I moved back to Colorado and we talking about our own place my dad deeded us the acreage as part of my inheritance, on which we built a log house (burned down in July 1994) after which we immediately rebuilt in the same spot.

These apple trees are a combination of Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Rome Beauty. We don’t plan to plant any more trees at this time since we have these.

I’m very glad I was raised on this family farm and for the opportunity to participate in all the harvesting. I’ve spent many wonderful fall days “hanging” out in an apple tree and I still do it. Apples are a favorite food of mine and my family and we will always be harvesting and using them in as many ways as we can. However, one of my favorites is just to bite into a fresh, crisp, homegrown apple right off our own tree!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:12:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“In my research for most common types of food allergies this is the information I found:
- peanuts
- tree nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- shellfish
- cow’s milk
- eggs
- wheat
- soy

It is estimated that 2.5% of the population in the United States has some type of food allergies. It seems that one of the main problems is the way some of the food items are processed. I couldn’t find anything that had specific details as to actual causes for a particular food item to be an allergen.

To my knowledge, no one in my biological family has any particular food allergies. However, my husband has spring seasonal allergies and during that time he is also sensitive to dairy products. That sensitivity is due to the hay/grasses that the cow’s eat, but when the spring season passes and his allergies settle down he can resume consumption of dairy products. He has less of a problem with yogurt because it has the live bacteria in it.

I’m grateful that my family does not have food allergies and that my husband has short-lived spring season allergies. I do try to be aware of any allergies any guests might have when preparing food for them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made this quilt out of a couple of jelly rolls. I loved this pattern in the book and was able to find the same fabric.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I taught myself a new all-over free motion quilt motif for this one. I like to change them up so they don't all begin to look alike.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have belonged to a group of farm ladies that got together once a week to quilt and chat! We have done this for quite a few years. I have also taught applique classes and have taught several people how to quilt and all different kinds of techniques. I love teaching applique and am hoping to do another class soon!

I made this little girl quilt over a period of about a year. I just did the finishing this past year. Each little piece is hand appliqued. I also embellished all of the little outfits with ribbon, lace and buttons.

I love it! I added simple quilting but lots of it to let the focus be on the blocks. I know that I have put in at least 50 hours on this project.

I have 3 little grandsons who are NOT interested in a "girl" quilt! haha! I will either save it for a future granddaughter or maybe myself!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I found this cute pattern for a half apron and decided to use my "fruit ladies" fabric.

I love it! I am very happy with the way it turned out and the narrow bias binding edging was much easier than I thought it would be. I love the fabric and enjoy wearing it in the kitchen!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made this full apron from a pattern that I had not tried before. I really liked the straps on the back and ruffle around the bottom.

I'm really happy with how it turned out! When I first read through the directions, I thought they were a bit confusing but I finally figured out what was needed. It fits great and is super comfortable to wear! I liked it so much that I made another for my mom's birthday present.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been knitting since I was in grade school. I found this cute wrap scarf and some beautiful, silky yarn with beads and thought they would make a good pairing!

I worked on this on a 2 day trip with my husband to get some seed for the farm. It was an easy pattern to do and went quickly. It was nice to bring home a finished project!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“My daughter found this Hunger Games inspired cowl on Pinterest and asked if I would make it for her for Christmas. I had to research to find the right yarn ... I ended up with some super chunky baby alpaca...SO soft and warm! It was made on size 35 needles. I had to learn to do the herringbone stitch to make this. It was super easy once I got going and I love how the stitch looks!

I was pleased with how it turned out and so was my daughter! She wears it to work on really cold days and stays perfectly warm!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“This shawl almost made me lose my mind a few times ... but I learned SO much! I had to learn a new way of casting on so that I could later add the lace edging. When a pattern tells you to use a contrast yarn to do so...DO IT!!! I did not! There was no way to see the cast on chain so I ended up unravelling the shawl and reknitting that part. The lace edging was knitted separately and added on with a 3 needle bind off ... another new technique.

It took a lot to finally finish this but I am so happy that I did. I love how it turned out. I know that it took at least 50 hours from start to finish. In my years of knitting, I have spent many hours knitting with my mom and friends and have taught at least 5 other people how to knit. I think with knitting, you are always learning and you are always teaching each other. That's one of the things that I love about it. And the relaxing click click of my needles at the end of the day!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“This Christmas I made a lot of the presents that I gave to my kids ... I knitted boot socks for both girls, crocheted hats for all 3 grandsons, knitted a scarf for my daughter in law and made a 12 block quilted calendar for my mom. It was a busy year!

I also used a lot of natural elements in my Christmas decorating and simplified it! Pinecones, cinnamon ornaments and lots of greenery. I made candle holders and fabric bows for my dining table. I have quilts and quilted table runners that I have made around the house. I am loving the simple, farmhouse look!

This was great! The kids were very appreciative of their handmade gifts! The little boys LOVED the raccoon and Dusty the Crop duster hats! I have a picture of the knitted scarf that I made my daughter in law...I loved the yarn. It was a hand dyed silky yarn strung with tiny glass beads.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I really enjoyed doing the research for this beginning apple badge. I didn't realize that apples originated in China and they were still producing half of the world's apple crop in 2013. I thought it was interesting that apples were planted along Native American trade routes once they came to the US and that apple trees would be larger if grown from the actual seed and smaller if they were grafted.

There are some 7500 cultivars in the apple world! Usually apples less than 2.25" go into cider making those that are too tart or have high sugar levels do not make good cider because these encourage fermenting. Some good cider varieties include Kingston Black, Golden Russett and Stone Red. Cooking apples are larger and more tart. Some good cooking varieties are Melrose, Rome Beauty and Gravenstein. I tried 6 new apple varieties and my husband and I ranked them from 1-10! We tried Lady Alice, Pink Lady, Opal, Kiku, Envy and Ambrosia. Kiku and Envy were the winners! I have shared in the chatroom about my husband's family history with bringing apple trees to Oregon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:54:15 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“A couple of years ago, I decided to switch over to Melaleuca for my cleaning supplies. I liked that they were non toxic and smelled fresh and clean. Since then, I have gotten rid of all cleaners that aren't green and have started making my own.

I wanted to be able to have natural cleaners in my home that I wouldn't be afraid of my little grandsons being around. So that became my mission statement for my home. I have been moving away even from Melaleuca products and making my own cleaners ... not because I don't like them, but because I really enjoy making my own and changing scents with whatever essential oils suits my fancy that day! I have been collecting "recipes" for cleaners and homemade beauty products and have them in my home file. I have been having a great time making my own products! I just send one of my henhouse sisters a collection of baby product recipes for her to try for her new baby, soon to be here!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I decided to put some of those saved "recipes" to use! I ordered all of the products that I would need and had an afternoon of "cooking"!

I made my own laundry soap....love it! I made a fabric softener/brightener and added some delicious smelling citrus scent from an essential oil. I made an all purpose, antibacterial cleaner ... good for the bathroom and countertops. I made a furniture polish that does a great job....no more aerosol dusting sprays in this house! I found some great ideas in the book, Little House Living by Merissa Alink, who also has a great formula for a foaming hand soap and a dishwasher soap, which are next on my list.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:58:35 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I now have a collection of shopping bags for every task ... a large, insulated bag for cold items, sturdy bags for groceries and a great mesh bag for produce.

So handy to have the bags in the car at all times for trips! I love the not having plastic and paper bags to bring home. And I love being able to just throw them in the washer and dryer when needed.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page