Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have been making an effort to shop the perimeter of the store and avoiding a lot of the over-packaged products in the store.

I have started buying my eggs at the local farmer's market and return my egg cartons on the next trip.

One of the things I like about the Melaleuca products that I do buy is that I can buy ONE bottle of concentrate and ONE spray bottle and reuse the same bottle when I finish with one batch. Less packaging and no empty bottles to keep throwing away.

I have been collecting and now using recipes for homemade cleaning products and beauty items and not only is it "cleaner" ... it's a lot of fun! One of the products that I made is a dusting spray made from just olive oil, vinegar and an essential oil ... hhhmm ... could almost be a salad dressing! But it works great on wood!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Our henhouse leader, Erin McBride, organized a bag swap between members that I participated in. We all swapped bags with a partner and then posted on a henhouse thread why we ourselves liked using reusable bags.

I'm so glad that Erin did this! It was a great idea and she sent me the greatest mesh bag for produce! We have some talented sisters in our henhouse!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I first of all checked for any leaks in the house, inside and out.
I had a habit of letting the water run while I was brushing my teeth. I decided to run a little experiment to see how much water I was wasting!

I calculated that I was wasting a quart of water while I brushed my teeth...each time! So, twice a day x 7 days ... 3.5 gallons of water a week ... 14 gallons of water a month ... just for brushing my teeth! I now shut the water OFF while I brush!

I also researched some other ways to save water ... bring your own water bottle instead of buying a new bottle of water; install low flow showerheads; water in the early morning or late evening and use a hose, not a sprinkler; and use lower setting for the dishwasher.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“For the past several winters, during the farming off season, my husband and I have some kind of game "competition" going on. After breakfast and while we are enjoying our morning coffee, we will play a game of SkipBo or Yahtzee before heading out for the day.

It's a fun, relaxing time for us. We keep score on the calendar to see who has one the most games during the winter. We also read the morning new aloud to each other.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (Mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I studied up on the photography terms listed in the beginner badge requirements and looked through some of my photos to find good examples of each term. I also shared some of my images on the Merit Badge Chit Chat forum. Attached is a photo of my notes from this project.

I enjoyed refreshing on these terms and looking at my images for good examples of these. Photography has always been an interest of mine and I found some of my images would have been improved had I played closer attention to some of these basic techniques.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (Mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I made three crochet afghans, two of which I gave as gifts and one for our guest room. The image is the one I made for our guest room. I spent more than 50 wonderful hours working on these. I have also expanded my stitch knowledge.

I am pleased with how these came out, but have had a lot of wrist pain from crocheting, which has been a huge bummer. Haven't been able to crochet much lately, hoping with rest I can get back after it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“Jubilee is an anniversary celebration, such as a 25 or 50 year anniversary.

One recent Jubilee that I attended was a Barbecue celebration in honor of my Grandma (yes, she is alive). There were so many Aunts, Uncles, and cousins; that half were indoors and the other half were outside! We just kind of rotated going in and out of the house. It lasted 2 days.

For the Queen's Diamond Jubilee there were parades, visiting some of the commonwealth nations and an informal lunch for leaders and former monarchs of other nations.

The common people enjoyed a 4 day 'bank holiday', held small parties, gate-crashed other people's parties, or watched the concert at Windsor. There were some people who didn't celebrate at all, because they didn't believe that public funds should be used frivolously.

I did post 2 ideas for a Jubilee which were:

1. Go clean out my planters and get them ready for some colorful flowers. Divide my 'Elfin Thyme' plants, put them in separate pots, and give them as gifts to friends and family.

2. Bake some braided bread as a gift for my neighbor, who is in her 90's and lives alone.

Cleaning out the planters was hard work, especially since I have limited mobility. But the flowers I planted are well worth it. The elfin thyme was large enough to divide into 6!

My neighbor enjoyed the bread and the little elfin thyme plant.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I made a lot of vinegar based cleaners, along with essential oils, to clean my house. Our family has pledged to only use cleaners that are made from non-toxic materials to humans, animals, and the environment. I have been collecting ideas on my Pinterest board.

This badge was actually rather difficult. We had thought we were doing fairly well with the cleaners we were using - including products from Seventh Generation and ECover. Once I really started looking into it, however, I found that if you researched the actual ingredients, almost every single one contained at least one that is harmful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“In order to accomplish this badge, I finished the beginner badge requirements for "Going Green," as well buying from the bulk containers at EarthFare, rather than the pre-packaged items. We also buy quite a bit from Costco, therefore having less trash, by buying larger amounts, such as for rice.

The hardest part about this badge was the "Going Green" part of it, as I finally gave up on purchasing cleaners, and rather have started making them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“In order to earn this badge, I participated in a bag swap with a chapter I belong to. It was a lot of fun! I made a reversible fabric bag for my partner and received a lovely crocheted bag!

I think one of the neatest parts of this swap is seeing different types of market bags! There are so many different styles out there, each with their own uniqueness. The bag I received is a true treasure!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“The first thing we did was check for any leaks. Sure enough, we found one, which thankfully was an easy fix! (It was actually the hose going from the dishwasher to the trash composter). The second part of the badge - the research and implementation of water conservation - was a little more time consuming. Our implementations included turning of the water when brushing our teeth, my hubby turning off the water while he shaves, and shorter showers for everyone!

The average flow rate of a shower is 2.1 gallons per minute! With nine people in the family, needless to say, we go through a lot of water! With the changes we have made, we are saving lots and lots of water!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Recycling in our area is really easy, as there is a center right down the road. We set up containers for our plastic, glass and metal. We have continued this now for over a month.

The hardest part about this is my 2 year old wants to pull the rinsed recyclables out and play with them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have now been recycling for over a month. I also talked my aunt into recycling, which she has been doing for the last two weeks.

It has been amazing how much our trash amount has reduced!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“For Thanksgiving and Christmas each year, our family brings pies to our local firemen and policemen. We also give gifts to our mail carrier, our cashier when we go grocery shopping, and our children's Sunday School teachers. This year, I also wrote thank you letters. We also delivered letters to the local EMS, hospital staff, and local government officials. For our military, we sent care packages with thank you letters, to those who were serving overseas for the holidays. I also wrote a letter to the editor for our local newspaper.

We actually just moved to a new town in July, so this was the first time the mail carrier, firemen and policemen of this town received pies and letters from us. To say they were surprised is an understatement. This has become a family favorite tradition - one that we will surely continue!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile
SuZan Brown (imascholar2, #4394) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I have found a holistic veterinarian in Bountiful, Utah. I have checked out all the labels and ingredients in pet food and determined that very few are good enough to feed to my pets.

I am pleased to find a good vet within an hour and half of my home. Becoming informed about the poor quality of commercial pet food is very beneficial as I provide for my pets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:18:31 PM  Show Profile
SuZan Brown (imascholar2, #4394) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I have decided to feed a well-balanced raw/cooked diet that is prepared at home. This way I can insure what goes into the food. I am following recipes created by Veterinarian Dr. Becker who wrote "Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats".

Also based on my research I have decided that spaying/neutering is NOT a viable option due to the endocrine diseases created by the loss of the sex hormones which the body NEEDS to function properly. I have chosen to be a responsible pet owner and keep my pets intact and safe from having unplanned litters. The best information on spay/neuter that I have found is provided by Dr Becker at this link.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPCZA1WFKY

My dogs love their food.

MonAmie (16 months, Shetland Sheepdog) is in her 2nd heat. To keep her safe we created a fence within a fence where she can have safe access to the outdoors when she is not on a leash. Also my pets are never outside when I am not at home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:20:35 PM  Show Profile
SuZan Brown (imascholar2, #4394) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I filled out all of the applications to volunteer at the Utah Sheltie Rescue. Also I called them and asked about fostering. I then fostered an 8 year old Sheltie February 20 - March 20 at which time I adopted her. Acadia Poetry bi Moonlight was a champion show dog and had a couple of litters. She was no longer able to be shown or produce litters so she was rehomed with me. She is intact and I plan to keep her that way because that is best for her health.

KaeDee, (previous call name was Emily and formal name Acadia Poetry bi Moonlight) has adjusted beautifully to our home. She is now living the good life of a well-loved and cared for fur baby . As a show dog she was not allowed to sit and was taught only to stand. She can now sit and has learned to gain access to the great outdoors (large fenced yard) through a dog door. She was in a kennel and not a house so she had to be housebroken which took all of a week with only 2 indiscretions. Her former life was very sedentary and now she enjoys at least a 1 mile brisk walk once a day. Also, in her former life she spent most of her time in a crate and even though she resorts to her crate (one on every floor of our home, when she wants time to herself) she is being more social and spends time with her family, usually at my feet and takes guarding the bathroom door very seriously. She is the model pet and gets along beautifully with MonAmie (16 month, Sheltie), Watson (14 year old Lab/Springer Spaniel, two cats Flower and Samurai and most importantly 2 grandchildren.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:24:32 PM  Show Profile
SuZan Brown (imascholar2, #4394) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“In spring 2015 we purchased 8 baby chicks and successfully raised them to adulthood. They gave us blue, green and brown eggs. One hen chose to sit on several eggs but only one egg successfully hatched and the chick was raised by the mother hen. So then we had 9.

It was going quite well until January 2016 when a raccoon gained access to our coop and beheaded 7 of the 9 chickens. In March 2016 we purchased another 8 chicks and will be introducing them to the surviving two hens in a few weeks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I made this for a friend, who moved back to Louisiana. It's a red and black satin purse, embroidered, and beaded with seed beads. The embroidery is done in black and gold. It took 1 month to make, at about 3 hours a day.

The bag came out fine, but I never want to see gold embroidery thread ever again. You have to wax the thread, but it still has the tendency to get caught. She loved it though, so that's what matters.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have a lady who lives on my street. She's in her 90's, doesn't drive, and lives alone. I often check on her, and she has my phone number if she needs help.

I go grocery shopping, in the nearest city, once a month. This city is a 45 minute drive, and there really isn't any sort of bus service here. I choose a day to go shopping, and invite her to go along. It gives her a chance to go shopping for groceries, clothes, medicine, and pet supplies. Plus, I carry all of her groceries in for her, when we return.

The lady told he she enjoys our shopping trips, because I don't try to rush her, like her grandkids.

We just went shopping this Tuesday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  4:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I folded a unicorn amongst the tulips. The unicorn took 2 pieces of paper.

I showed my friend how to fold one of those fortune-telling-games. Where you choose a color and then a number. She hadn't made one of those before.

I almost gave up on folding that unicorn, the face was really complex.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I have been using my food dryer for the past several years drying all kinds of things. I also tried using my oven to dry celery tops to save for cooking.

I spent an hour putting together spice mixes from Mary Jane's book and also some that I had saved the recipe for that I wanted to try that I would use all of the time ... spaghetti seasoning, chili spice, and a replacement for "cream of whatever" soup mix. I don't use it very often but am excited to try the mix next time.
I shared some of my Mediterranean mix with my daughter ... we're thinking it would even make a great base for a vinaigrette!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I have been canning since I was married 32 years ago. I have made both cherry and apple pie filling in the past. I decided to can homemade salsa, canned tomatoes and a new garden relish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I bought a new food dryer last summer and put it to good use! I dried pears, peaches, strawberries and bananas.

It all turned out well....the peaches and pears are already gone! I found that if you have EASY access to your food dryer, it's so easy to throw a tray of something in that you're not going to get eaten right away. You can dry it instead and save it for later...less waste!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“My daughter, who is a farmgirl, decided to start her own Etsy business last year. I know she was hoping that it would be successful, but she was even surprised with how fast her new business took off!

She also holds down a full time job at the local Ag Research Center. She put me to work sewing blank muslin pillows that she does calligraphy work on. I have lost count with how many I've done....close to 125, at least. I also designed a Christmas tree skirt for her shop and a set of Christmas stockings. I have made blank napkins for her embroidered monogramming.

She and I went to a Junk Barn girls show last fall and took several months of sewing and calligraphy work there and I helped to man her vendor booth for the weekend! It was a great success and I was really happy to help her!

I also sent over dinners and goodies all last summer when I knew she was tired from her day job and had several hours ahead of her in the evenings to get ready for the barn show.

I'm really proud of how well she's doing and she's now considering doing her Etsy store full time!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page