Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“I have planted 2 different breeds of carrot, beets, and green onions. I shared them with my elderly neighbor, and she was glad to get them.

I kept some of the carrots and green onions and cooked some shrimp fried rice. It's my grandma's recipe, and yet the only thing measured is the rice. It's all done by eye-balling the ingredients and tasting the rice. One of the secret ingredients is brown sugar, so tasting the rice is important.

There are 2 native root vegetables in my area:
Typha (aka: Cattail) which grows near water.
Camassia: which grows in meadows. The bulb is supposed to taste like a sweet potato.

The rice turned out good. The carrots and the green onions were very flavorful.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  4:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“My garden is too small to plant a dedicated row, so instead I took a percentage of each row to donate.

Here's the thing though; I made multiple attempts to contact both Meals-on-Wheels and my local food bank. I never heard back from meals-on-wheels. I tried calling the food bank, but there number was disconnected! I went to the food bank itself, to check the hours, and it's only open once a month! I found this to be ridiculous, but what can you do?

Instead of giving my vegetables to the food bank, I give them directly to families I know to be in need. The families appreciate the fresh vegetables, which they have a hard time affording.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  4:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Continuing with my vintage aluminum cookie cutter collection:

I always check antique shops (aka junk shops), for shapes I don't already have. I haven't found any as of this year.

The price range for these cookies cutters are relatively cheap, unless it has a bullet (wooden) handle, those are worth more. Plain aluminum can range from 25¢ to $7.00 depending on rarity. If it has a bullet handle it could range from $1.00 to $15.00! Only 3 of mine have bullet handles.

There is 1 set of cookies cutters that I have on my wish list: the 'old-world butter cookie cutters'. The shapes include: a windmill, lion, cross, fleur-de lis, and a crown. (I included a picture of the set). Right now the set ranges from $10 to $20.

It's still fun to dig through the cookie cutters at a junk shop, even though you already have them! I may get that old world set yet!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  4:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I continue to check up on my elderly neighbor, offer her help, take her to town, and visit with her. I also continue to work her garden, wash her vegetables, and deliver them to her.

Just this week she told me that the neighborhood creeper had been peeping in her windows, and knocking on them. She was frightened and had all of her windows closed and locked. She has health problems, and needs fresh air.

I notified the local police. I measured her windows, and cut some dowels, and put them in her windows. Now no one can force the window open, but she can open them for fresh air.

I gave her the phone number for the police dispatch, and told her to call them in the future, then to call me, because I'll come running with my baseball bat!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  3:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Virginia Slaughter (#6525) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I taught my granddaughter to knit and she knitted a small scarf. I also knitted a orange and brown tweed warming shoulder wrap for my mothers cousin in Germany.

I used a lope wool yarn. Each end was finished off with fringe. It should keep him warm during those cold German winters.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  3:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I downloaded Dare to Repair, Replace & Renovate (Kindle Edition) by Julie Sussman onto my kindle. The book was very easy to follow and gave instructions to simple repair such as replacing a garbage disposal, tile work, and installing deadbolt locks. I also painted the front foyer to our home.

My painting went very well. The color was called "clothesline." This was very good for me on many levels. I was once told that I could never paint a room because it is not woman's work and I would be terrible at it. It was great satisfaction to be able to do my first painting job. My husband was also pleased. I also gained an appreciation for the rooms he has painted in the past. I was very careful around the crown molding but did hit it a few times. This was no problem because I was able to quickly fix my mistake. I found the tight corners the most difficult. The book was an easy read but very basic. This was perfect for me but for some, I feel that this information is something that they could look up on Youtube or search on the internet. The cover was my favorite part of the book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  3:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“A few years ago I went to Geneva Switzerland for a writing conference. I really liked the area but was more touched by the area of Neuchâtel. I now have a pen pal from the area. We have never met but I wanted to learn this week a bit more of her area. Her name is Huguette McCluskey. I have been practicing my french, I learned my colors, numbers, and a few greeting.

My new friend Huguette was thrilled with my video of my simple French phrases to her. I hope to speak the language better so that we can Skype and one day I will go back.

My biggest mistake at the conference years ago was that I stayed in the hotel or in the classroom. I wish I would have visited more of the area that I have just learned about. Neuchâtel is rich with not only cheese but with many local artist. Creux du Van is one area that I did see but I would like to go again with Huguette. It is a canyon with hiking trails and panoramic views. The area also has a Gothic church and castle that Huguette and I wrote about. She often walks around the large lake and visits the many shops and outdoor markets. I also learned on my own research that Laténium Museum has 50'000 years of local history - modern presentation at the archaeological park and museum. This is amazing. I am sure Huguette will be able to tell me more.

As for my french, I am not able to understand much. They speak very fast and I have found it difficult to understand. One greeting that the local area uses to say hello is Hihi.. This was really neat for me to see when a letter has arrived in the mail. I also like the artwork of the Swiss stamps and the different meals that Huguette eats. She even goes to a local mill for her grains when making bread. She eats mostly organic and meals are a longer experience than American meals. I hope as we deepen our friendship that I will learn more and that I will have the opportunity to visit Switzerland again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I researched two people from Neuchatel, Switzerland and then I wrote to my Farmgirl sister and shared the information with her.

The first person I researched was Jean Piaget. So many amazing people in the field of Psychology have come from Switzerland. Since this was my field of study in college. I was interested to learn more about Piaget. Piaget was known as a genetic epistemology (the origins of thinking).

What Piaget wanted to do was not to measure how well children could count, spell or solve problems as a way of grading their I.Q. What he was more interested in was the way in which fundamental concepts like the very idea of number, time, quantity, causality, justice and so on.

Much why he is known for being the first cognitive psychologist. He developed an early interest in natural history and by the age of 15 he had published several papers on mollusks.

He was educated at the University of Neuchatel where he majored in psychology.

Piaget earned his PhD in 1918 and he accepted a teaching post at a boys' school in Paris, France run by Alfred Binet. Binet developed the Binet Intelligence Test that is still in use today.I really enjoyed learning this about him. I always thought he was French not Swiss.

The second person that I found that was interesting was Maurice Bavaud. He was also born in Neuchâtel on 15 January 1916 and executed at Plötzensee in Berlin on 14 May 1941. He attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1938. He traveled to Germany on 9 October 1938, planning to shoot Hitler with a pistol. However, he did not fire because he was too far away from Hitler. The spectators in front of him denied him a clear view, by raising their hands in the Nazi salute. When he could not produce a train ticket for inspection, he was arrested and handed over to the Gestapo. At that moment, his firearm and compromising papers were found on him. Under torture, Bavaud finally admitted his assassination plans and was brought before the Volksgerichtshof. He was sentenced to death and guillotined. Could you imagine how brave he must have been? To stand up for his beliefs when so many were following Hitler.

Oh and for fun. Here are a few more fun French phrases in case you get into trouble. “Je te jure! Je n’ai rien fait! (I swear, I didn’t do anything!) and Va savoir pourquoi!(“your guess is as good as mine!”)

My french is slow and not very good... but.. “Ouais, t’inquiète pas, je te tiens au courant.” (Yeah, don’t worry, I’ll keep you up to date.)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  3:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“From July 2 to July 6 I took care of The Huff Family backyard chicken farm! Now I am a city gal so this was huge for me. After all, 8 chickens, 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, two cats, and 5 turtles was a good start!

Day One: I learned the ropes so to speak. I followed my written instructions and only spilled the water feeder because I forgot to latch the pin at the bottom. I think the chickens watching me because it really seemed too easy.

Day Two! Oh Goodness! Chickens do not listen! I did the morning task and all the indoor animals were very well behaved but the chickens did not want to go to bed! I was told at dark they would climb up their little ladder and roost. Well the hens were clucking and pecking. Then I almost got stuck in the cage but remembered the rope string that will let you out. Finally at 9:00 they went one by one up the ladder but they sure did look at me strange.

Day 3 (Fourth of July) Chickens were in roost early. They must have known they would be in trouble for being naughty! I am pretty sure they were faking sleep. A few of them were fussing in a soft coo to the others to be quiet. I was shocked to see their water stuffed with bedding and they knocked over the food jar. Oh and somebody pooped on the food jar! I swear on my MaryJane apron that I heard a cluck that sounded like a laugh!

Day 4: All Huff are alert and awake Very quiet and odd. They didn't even try to rush me for feed. I reckon it was guilt! Had my hands full with the indoor animals. They knocked over a few things and food bowls were tipped over.

Day 5 Well I caught the road Island Red in the act of kicking up bedding into the water bowl this morning. Then she pooped on it. I told her that was not very Southern Ladylike. The rest of the hens were very happy to see me. I gave them a bit of extra feed as a treat. I did notice that a few of the wrapped plastic eggs were kicked out of their nest. I think they want to lay and return to their normal schedule.

Day 6: My last day! I sorta will miss the chickens. Sorta sad in a way. I think they were getting use to me. I did sneak them a tiny bit of watermelon. I made sure the coop was very clean and reminded that Red hen to not make a mess. Alas, Chicken don't listen very well. I found the indoor pets easier but I did rather good with the chickens. And none died so that was even better!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have added a few new tricks, including the afghan stitch (uses a needle as long as a knitting needle, yet with a hook at the end), taught at least 5 others how to crochet (including my daughter), and did an advanced level project that took at least 50 hours to complete (a couple of years actually).

Each row of this afghan took an hour to do and each color band has 11 to 12 rows. Five stars took about 45 minutes to make, and another hour to attach to the afghan. I can now say that I have crocheted a flag. I put the final stitches in it on this 4th of July. The stars look like a bunch of drunken starfish though.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  4:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I made a storage sock for plastic shopping bags, using an old pair of jeans that I wore in High school.

There's a funny story behind these jeans: When I was in High school; having embroidered pockets on your jeans was really popular. My dad let me buy a pair, and they where my favorite pair of jeans for a long time.

I wore them for 3 years, and they were starting to get holes on the corners of the back pockets. My mother would always complain about the holes, and wanted me to throw the pants away. I didn't of course. So one day, I was teasing my mom and I sat on her lap, as I went to stand up she grabbed my pockets and yanked on them. This causes my pockets to rip all the way off!

My favorite jeans were ruined! So just to get back at my mom, I pinned the pockets back on and wore the jeans for the rest of the day. I washed them and kept the fabric.

- Ok, now back to the present: I found my old jeans in a fabric box, cut out the useable fabric, made a pattern for the sock, and made the sock. I hung it in the bathroom. I have about 50 shopping bags inside it, which I reuse as trash can liners.

It saves a lot of space when it comes to storing shopping bags.

After handling the fabric, it made me wish that jeans were as good of quality today, as they were back then.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I'm allergic to raw onions, milk products, and oddly enough; pepperoni.

When I make homemade pizza, I don't use pepperoni anymore. I tolerate cheese so I just make cheese pizza. I actually love pepperoni and could eat it up until 3 years ago. Now it causes me terrible discomfort.

I altered my buttermilk biscuits by using lactose free milk.

I altered my bread recipe by using margarine and lactose free milk.

Lastly, I altered my fried rice recipe, not by forgoing onions, but by cooking them separately and longer.

The biscuits turned out harder for some reason. I think I'll stick to regular whole milk.

The bread came out a little firmer than usual, but it wasn't a bad thing.

Cooking the onions longer and separately from the rice made a difference. Raw onions cause me to have pain, but cooking them neutralizes the acid in the onion juice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“We exchanged family recipes during the 4th of July BBQ. It was fun to get to add to Brenda's collection and for her to add to ours.

It turned our great. My friend Brenda was visiting (she is like family) and we were able to add to our collections.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Since I had company coming for the 4th of July holiday- I cleaned out my extra and orphan kitchen containers. Still trying to figure out how we lose tops/bottoms.... when the kids were home it was easy to blame the "Gordon" ghost... because of course no one ever did it... whatever it was!

I had nice cabinets-- when they were opened by my guests nothing fell out!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“After cleaning out last week - I made a list of things that needed upgrading in my kitchen. Now that we are empty nesters it is time to replace all of the things that have been broken or have disappeared. It was fun to have my friend visiting and help with my list.

The list was a great idea. I will keep my eye out for a good sale and will pick up the items when I see them at a good price.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I researched a powerful/influential women that was still in her position of power. I chose Mary Barra- CEO of General Motors. She was born in Waterford MI and earned her MBA from Stanford University. She is married, has 2 children and is the 1st female CEO of a major automaker.

This was a fun badge to earn. I started by researching FORBES top 100 women for the this year- now I want to continue and read more about all of them. Good stuff!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Fouty (#7025) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“We exchanged family recipes during my visit to FL and a 4th of July BBQ with Angie Gordon's family (I'm an "adopted" Gordon, or at least every time there's food on the table, I seem to show up!). I am now the matriarch of my family, so I have decided now is the time to be sharing.

It was a great experience of adding more southern recipes to my collection, and sharing some never before shared by my family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:34:09 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Fouty (#7025) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I reorganized my kitchen cabinets before leaving for FL, since I would be having company for two weeks upon my return. I sorted drawers, cabinets, containers and lids, purging what was no longer needed.

I feel so accomplished as a farm girl sister....it is empowering!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Fouty (#7025) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Getting ready for company always spurs me to do more than I would normally do in my kitchen. I have sorted and taken stock of what needs replaced, as well as thoroughly cleaned counters and cabinets. I have listed and sorted to extreme...my late hubbie is laughing, I'm sure, at my continued list making.

I love the realization that came with this clean up! I needed some newer small appliances, and didn't even realize it until taking stock of what really worked, and what was "a pain!" What was usable but no longer fit would fit somebody else's kitchen, and what did not work properly belonged in the recycling bin. Done, and done!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I Identified five herbs and their possible uses and try at least one.

1. Aloe

Scientific Name: Aloe vera
Common Names: Aloe, cape, barbados
Family: Asphodelaceae
Part Used: Leaves
Habitat: Aloe is native to the Mediterranean. It also grows in Latin America and the Caribbean.

The gel inside of the leaves of the Aloe plant can be used externally to treat minor burns, sun burn, cuts, scrapes and poison ivy. Aloe gel is good for moisturizing the skin and is a main ingredient of many skin care products. Many people use it to reduce acne and treat other skin problems.

2. Bee Balm

Scientific Name: Monarda didyma
Common Names: Wswego tea, mountain mint, scarlet bergamot
Family: Lamiaceae
Part Used: Leaves
Habitat: Bee Balm is native to North America

Bee Balm was often used by the Native Americans to treat intestinal problems, colic and flatulence. Tea made from this plant was used to induce sweating and break fevers. Bee balm is often used to treat the common cold and sore throat as well. The leaves of this plant are a good source of essential oil that contains thymol. Thymol is an antibiotic and often used as an ingredient in mouthwash.

3. Lemongrass

Scientific Name: Cymbopogon citratus
Common Names: Silky heads, fever grass, barbed wire grass, tanglad, hierba Luisa, citronella grass or gavati chaha
Family: Poaceae
Part Used: Grass
Habitat: Lemongrass is native to tropical Asia and India

Lemongrass is used to treat many health conditions, such as cancer, stomach problems, nervous disorders, fevers, arthritis, flu, gas, pain and others. Lemongrass tea is a relaxing beverage that helps reduce anxiety and promotes sound sleep. Used externally, it can treat skin problems and keep the skin moist and clear.

4. Chamomile

Scientific Name: Matricaria recutita
Common Names: German chamomile, wild chamomile
Family: Asteraceae
Part Used: Flower heads, oil
Habitat: Chamomile is native to Asia, Africa and Europe

Used by the ancient Egyptians for fever and chills, chamomile is still in wide use today. This plant is used for colic, indigestion, flatulence, bloating heartburn and to calm nervousness. Chamomile has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiseptic, antibacterial and antispasmodic properties. Some people suffering from peptic ulcers find relief from drinking chamomile tea.

5. Catnip

Scientific Name: Nepeta cataria
Common Names: Catmint, catswort, catnep, catrup
Family: Lamiaceae
Part Used: Flowers, Leaves
Habitat: Catnip is native to Asia and Europe

Medieval herbalists often used catnip to treat coughs, scalp irritations, bruises, restlessness and gas. Modern herbalists use this herb primarily to treat upset stomach, colic, colds, fever, flu and diarrhea. It is sometimes used to treat inflammation, allergies and as a mild sedative

I grew and tried chamomile.

In April of this year I was invited by a few gals from Farmgirl Chit chat to learn about herbs and then take a class online after we did this beginner work. We each looked up several herbs. I picked herbs that were common in teas. The reason for this is that I am a huge tea drinker.

Chamomile is so easy to grow and yoiu only need a few flower heads to make tea. It is very mild in flavor and can be used fresh or dried. It also makes a nice gift.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I started an herb garden. I am growing ten herbs for cooking and medicinal uses, I have harvested them, and used them.

My herbs

Rosemary
Peppermint
Chives
Cilantro
Thyme
Basil
Parsley
Catmint
Camomile
Lavender

I also took an online class for foraging and growing herbs.

I joined the gals in Farmgirl Chitchat in April to take an online herb course that was free. This spring I began growing my herbs and now I am enjoying them. My favorite is the chive flowers in a salad. Oh and a cup of chamomile tea at bedtime. I am also making bath salts with the lavender. At the beginning I wrote a blog post on the class. This was a great opportunity for many. Here is the link. http://gingerharman.blogspot.com/2016/04/handcrafted-herbalism.html

I am very pleased with my herb garden and will continue to add to it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Ok so for this badge I researched birds native to West Virginia.

I also made a “wish list” of birds that I would like to observe in the wild. Well, maybe my backyard is wild enough for now. Although, I have a hankering to go to Iceland!

Here is what I learned about native birds in West Virginia. West Virginia is home to a multitude of wildlife species including hundreds of birds. Some of these bird species are native and remain in West Virginia year-round to mate and roost. Native species such as the red-bellied woodpecker, the pileated woodpecker, barred owl and Carolina wren remain throughout the year, rather than migrating south for warmer temperatures. This is also true for the cardinals. I see them all the time in my back yard. I also have two wild ducks that come to visit every year in the late spring. They stay in the dry pond behind my house until they nest. This year they have been coming to my birdfeeder. This was very exciting. I have included a photo. The birds bring me great joy in my back yard. The hummingbirds seem to have a lot of personality. Here is my bird wish list and a little about them.

1. A Bat! Little brown bats might be the most common species in West Virginia. Their wingspan is 8 to 10 inches, and their bodies measure around 3 inches. Their diet includes beetles, flies, mosquitoes and moths; in one hour, a little brown bat can eat more than 600 mosquitoes. During the summer, they roost in buildings, caves, cliffs and hollow trees. Along with big brown bats, they’re the West Virginia bats most likely to end up in people’s attics. Could you imagine how that would be to have a bat show up in your bedroom. Ok Ok.. I am watching too many horror movies!

2. An Owl! The barred owl is known for its distinctive "who cooks for you" hoot. Some bellies have pink feathers due to consuming large amounts of crayfish. The aggressive barred owl may displace the endangered spotted owl, however, there are hybrids of the two combined species. The great horned owl, who resides in the same territory, is a predator of the barred owl. However the barred owl will avoid the area occupied by the horned owl to avoid risk. I just want an owl to visit my yard to be honest.

3. A male Carolina wren.

The male Carolina wren's "tea-kettle, tea-kettle, tea-kettle" song is the loudest per volume of birds in West Virginia. Listen I drink a lot of tea. and to have a bird say put on the tea kettle... How cool would that be? The Carolina wren is a quick and active little bird with a pointed bill and tail that cocks over their back. They have red-brown backs, white chins and a distinctive white eye stripe. A male and female may mate during any part of the year and will remain together for a lifetime within their territory. The male and female Carolina wren sing together in unison creating a singular sound. They are sensitive to cold weather, and the population decreases during severe winters.

4.Red-Bellied Woodpecker

The red-bellied woodpecker is a pale, medium-size bird which is common to the forests of West Virginia. They are an unforgettable sight with black and white striped backs, a gleaming red cap and neck. The red-bellied woodpecker is a rare species of woodpecker that can be spotted with white patches near the wingtip as they fly.

They may be found perched and picking, rather than pecking, in medium to large oak, hickory, young hardwoods and pine tree trunks. They may also emerge from the forest to appear at backyard feeders.

5. Hmm only 5... Ok Lets make this last one special...

Small-footed Myotis! Ok I am on a bat thing right now. Look I have lots of robins and the bats have to be near.. right?

This is one of the rarest bats in West Virginia. In winter it is found hibernating in caves, but it is never abundant. The largest numbers of hibernating small-footed bats are found in caves in Greenbrier and Monroe counties, but the total number known to hibernate in the state is less than 50 individuals. This bat has also been observed in caves. I guess, I could go on the other side of the mountain to see them. Hmmm. I am feeling the need for a fieldtrip!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  4:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I believe I have discovered what calms me. Mindful Meditation. Since January 1, 2016, I have made it a personal practice to get up and before the emails, social media, and yes even my coffee, I take 15 to 20 minutes to meditate. Sometimes it is focusing on all that I am grateful for, sometimes it is just my breath and the different sensations.

I have been able to log this via an app called Insight Timer. The past two weeks I have been really allowing myself to explore what makes me happy. Such as learning new things, nature, and focusing on those activities like Mary Jane Farmgirl Sisterhood that brings me much more joy than Facebook or reality television. I also feel it is more positive.

Wondering how it turned out?

Well lets start with my health.

This results in joy, peace, enthusiasm as the level of awareness in the body increases.

On a physical level, meditation:

1. My blood pressure is lower. This was documented with my cardiologist. I am now at a healthy level without medication.

2. Decreased tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems.

3. I also have increased my energy level, I even am walking more and just feel more present in life.

Here are some Personal befits I have found.

Emotional stability has improved. I find myself less irritated with others on social media. Then again I have also been off of Facebook for the last two weeks.

Creativity increased. I have really been more inspired with my art and writing, and the renovations to our home are going much better.

Happiness increased

Intuition seems to be more clear. You know that gut feeling you get. And just by listening to others, I am so much more aware.

Gained clarity and peace of mind! Hey that says it all!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  5:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyem, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“After joining the farmgirl sisterhood a few years ago I was able to research opening my own business. Well, nearly a full year out of my craft business and I am so pleased. I have been able to take my farmgirl love of reduce, reuse and recycle and make items of home decor and use that people love.

Best sellers, Golden Girl Wine glasses! Emily Hack's Inspired Collections range from Repli-Kates to custom wedding gowns, while my home series has personalized wine glasses and cutting boards. I have branched out to doing craft shows all over my home state of Pennsylvania.

It has changed my life and allowed me to have a creative outlet from my new day job as an accountant. Some days juggling my family, school, work, and the small business feels like I am in a full tornado. But I wouldn't have it any other way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  2:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I have always admired quilled projects and decided that I should learn this wonderful art form. I purchased a beginner kit from on the the craft stores and started working. Buy the time I had finished I had two books and more kits on order.

I made several cards and gift tags which I really love. some of my fellow sisters in the card swap may be seeing them soon.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page