Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  2:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I saw a certain photo of something on Facebook and I thought that it would be neat to do with quilled flowers. I painted the canvas with different colors of gold and copper and then drew on the silhouette with dark pain. I then quilled the flowers and added it to the canvas.

I really loved how it turned out. I have it hanging in the studio/barn where I do most of my craft work. the flowers add a bit of definition to the hair, and the hair itself is quilled.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  2:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I decided that I really wanted something that showed lots of flowers and needed something for my studio to put up that would make me happy. So I designed a plaque. I took a wooded 10/10 board and covered it with scrapbook paper, and then printed the word BLOOM on it, then I decorated it with all the different kinds of flowers that I could think to make.

I think that it turned out better then I expected. It is very cherry and I love the bright colors of the flowers.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half-apron, using mint green fabric with strawberries on it. It's trimmed with red fabric with whit polka dots. I didn't have a pattern so I made it up. I didn't like the first apron, so I seam-ripped the whole thing and started over. It needed longer ties and more fabric on the sides so it would be ruffly.

You can't see it, but the back ties are made with the red polka dot fabric.

It turned out fine the 2nd time around. Ripping out all of the seams might have seemed crazy, but why have an apron that you don't like?”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  3:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I keep my cookie cutters in a gallon glass jar inside my hutch, which has glass windows. I'd say it's in a good spot for display.
I went ahead and bought the copper colored 'Old World' cookie cutter set. It came with the original recipe book from the1950s. I noticed a lot of the recipes where for a mirro cookie press, which I didn't have. In the booklet; the original cost for the cookie press was $1 with purchase of any brand of butter! So I put the cookie press on my wish list and carried on.

The next week I went into a thrift shop looking for a stainless steel bowl, for picking lettuce, and there sat the cookie press! It was in perfect condition and had all of it's accessories, and they wanted $10 for it! I walk out with a bowl and the cookie press.

I'll put them with my cookie cutters after I wash them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I was taking my elderly neighbor to the next town over, and she expressed that she would like to go with me on my tree scavenger hunt. So we went on the backroads (away from any farmhouses) and looked for trees.

We found:
Native - Myrtlewood, white ash, white spruce, Oregon maple, white cedar, and a lot of fir and pines.

Non-native - cherry plums and a beech tree. We also found some apple trees, but we could tell if they were crab apple or garden variety.

The vegetation under the trees was so thick, I could barely get to the trees I was collecting branches from. I didn't find any trash, but I did find some ripe cherry plums. So I did the tree a favor and cleaned the tree of them.

Identification was a lot more difficult this time. Afterward I collected my branches and leaves, my elderly neighbor wanted to go out to her ranch, which she doesn't live on. So I obliged. That's where we found the Oregon maples.

I gave all of the plums to my elderly neighbor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil , #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I went through my UFO box (the Mother Ship), and pulled out my half-apron, and finished it. It took a long time to make, because I had to make up a pattern.

I helped my friend get the supplies she needed to finish one of her UFOs. I eventually found what she wanted for her project online, I ordered it and had it sent to her.

It took a while to find the supplies for my friend's UFO, but now that she has it, she started working on it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  1:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I already had a couple of bags, so just added more to get 6. I have used them on every shopping trip, and will continue to do so.

I have eliminated all the plastic bags from my home (gave them to a local food bank). I won't be bringing them home anymore and am committed to using my pretty new bags!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have one chicken (yes one!) who showed up on our property back in April. She has decided to stay and we are truly enjoying her. We have built her a shelter, and I am learning many new ways to prepare eggs (she gives us 1 per day!) We are feeding her completely organic and have researched the best feeds and treats for her.

We have ordered more chickens from our local feed store so she will soon have some buddies. She already has goat buddies, but we felt like she needs more of her own kind, plus we are in love with having her around.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  1:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I already had a couple of first aid kits, but have made additional ones for the cars, barn, and kitchen. We have fire extinguishers in the kitchen, barn, garage, and my sewing studio. I have made a note on my day planner to check the smoke detectors and fire extinguishers monthly. I also have two animal first aid kits, one for the dogs/cats and a 2nd one for my goats.

I feel prepared to handle minor medical issues, and now don't have to run to find a first aid kit!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I am a long time quilter and have my own sewing studio, so I guess my whole space is a place to keep the items mentioned in this level. So, I have made two kits to give to friends who just "mend" from time to time and are not frequent sewers.

My friends were thrilled to get their kits, and one has expressed interest in learning more!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  1:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have been quilting for years, and recently my neighbor asked if I could help her do something with her daughter's old dresses. I helped her cut them up and we got her started making a quilt out of the fabrics that she plans to give to her daughter. She has never made a quilt before and is excited to learn more!

I love to share the joy in creating something from scraps of fabric, and watching someone learn and hopefully get hooked on this amazing hobby. I will continue helping her until this project is complete, and hopefully get her working on a new project at that point.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I started my compost bin on April 5th and have been maintaining it since. I think this has turned out great! We have been composting all of our kitchen scraps, newspapers and yard debris for several months now and can already see it all breaking down into soil for next year's garden! We will continue to do this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:21:34 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I did this badge a bit out of order, but having completed all steps I am ready to apply for my badge! I have painted the entire interior of our home, aside from one room now, but for the beginner level I am submitting my entryway/stairwell project. I painted all of the walls in this area, which was rather challenging with the high ceilings over the incline of the stairs.

I think this came out great! I absolutely love the paint color and gallery walls on either side of the stairway.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by remodeling my craft room. I painted this room, built and refinished almost all of the furniture in it (just yesterday I built the center desk with some help from my husband) and created a very functional space to work in.

It love it! I am still working on a few finishing touches, but I am extremely happy with the result. I have been working on this for years, but finally started the full makeover about two weeks ago. I feel proud of all of the hard work that went into this project!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“This was the first "carphentry" badge project I did (my husband and I actually did this together) but it best fits the advanced requirements. We completed our "beachy grilling shack" when we first moved into our house several years back.

I love how this came out. It is a wonderful place to hang out most of the year, we tried to bring the feeling of the islands we visited on our honeymoon to Colorado with this. We often have dinner out on the bar tops and we built "pop ins" which go into the window openings in the winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It! Merit Badge!

“I organized my garden tools, my word working tools and my craft room tools, so that I can hopefully find what I need without having to go on a hunt for them! I also made the pictured wooden planter out of reclaimed wood from pallets and a large plastic planter left over from a tree we purchased.

I am happy with how this all came out, I just hope I can stay as organized as I am now. The planter came out great and my airplane plant looks great in it too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Jackson (#3639) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I bought the Chillover powder a while ago when I reactivated my sisterhood membership. I honestly didn't see any Chillover recipes that I 100% loved the sound of so I made this raspberry recipe I have. I served it to my family for a Friday night dinner desert. It was topped with heavy whipping cream fresh raspberries and fresh mint I picked from my kitchen herb garden.

The family absolutely loved it! turned out great and the kids requested that I make it again soon! I cant wait to maybe try a different recipe with the Chillover powder that was left.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I read Eleanor Roosevelt's autobiography and posted 5 things I learned in the farmgirl chatroom. What an incredible woman! She was an amazing human from start to finish. I very much recommend reading her story as there is was to much to even begin to try to recount here. I have added her to my list of people I would love to have lunch with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Pottery / Ceramics Merit Badge!

“I researched kiln firings and learned about the different kinds of kilns and firing techniques. I learned the process from mud to ceramic. I learned the difference between low (about 1800 degrees fahrenheit), mid (about 2200 degrees fahrenheit), and high (around 2400 degrees fahrenheit) firings. I purchased a piece of greenware and prepared it for firing. I spoke with a local pottery/ceramic shop about their kiln firings and had my piece fired and finished it with both glaze and acrylic paint. It took more than 10 hours to complete the entire process.

I had taken pottery in college many years ago and enjoy to process of making something to be fired, but didn't get to spend so much time on the different finishing techniques that could be used. This time I chose a piece that had already been made (poured mould) and prepared it for firing and used a variety of colored glazes to create something I could add to my craft space as inspiration. Since you can't use metals in glazes (and maintain their color), I painted my piece with acrylic metallic details after it was fired. I think it turned out pretty sweet looking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I researched the most common food allergies and found the top eight: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Soy, Wheat, Fish, and Shellfish. These 8 items make up 90% of all food allergies, and 1 in 50 people are affected by these allergies. I made a list of friends and family who are affected by these allergies, and have identified the three most common among my people.

I have been aware of these allergies for years, since my husband is one of the affected people on my list. I have also become more aware of the others on my list and made it a point to avoid the allergens when around these people. The top three I need to be on the lookout for are Cheese, Milk, and Peanuts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Ashley Edstrom (#7053) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I finally dug into my Tupperware cabinet and pulled out everything. I matched up containers and lids and put the lid-less in the bin to recycle. I also organized my baking utensils and stacked the items by size. Now I can find what I need without hunting, and my cabinets are way more organized!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“To begin with; I do not have children myself, so making bean bags for chores wasn't going to work. One of my neighbors has 2 little girls, that visit her on weekends. So I decided to make them a bean bag game.

I bought a cardboard school project board, and painted targets on it (non-toxic paint). I made 6 different colored bean bags, with 5 bags for each color and filled them with lentils. I then sewed a bag to put the bean bags into. Lastly I put a note book (to keep score) and a few pages on different games you can play with bean bags into the bag.

The kids were excited to play with their new game. And I showed then how to throw and catch a bean bag on the back of their hands.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I sometimes make bento boxes (Japanese lunches), if I have to travel or go somewhere for a long time. I own a few books in Japanese, that teach you how to make 'cute' lunch boxes. Before I attempt to make a cute bento, I sketch it first (kinda like a picture recipe!).

In this case, I wanted to make a bento with the rice ball monkey. So I sketched my plan and made it. Even though this merit badge is for sketching (which I did), I included a picture of the finished bento lunch box.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I had no idea I was earning this badge till after I already did it!

I have a Chinese watercolor book, and sometimes I paint little pictures, usually for no reason. I had painted 2 watercolor scenes for the fair this month, and I wasn't expecting to win anything, since I'm an amateur with zero training.

Also, paintings are a heavy category at this fair and competition can be serious.

I went down to the fair last night and looked at the other paintings, while searching for mine. I found mine eventually and it had won a 1st place ribbon!

So I painted with watercolors AND went to an art exhibition. I'm glad I entered my paintings. Though I probably won't do it again next year. Needlework is my real category.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“My exercise goal was to walk to the community garden and/or library, rather than take the car. I'm physically disabled, so I this is harder that normal for me.

I kept to my goal except for 2 times when I either had my elderly neighbor with me, or I had a lot of produce to bring home.

I'm noticing an improvement in my stamina, and can walk a little bit farther than usual. I did more than a month, because I don't go to the garden every day.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page