Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  3:36:53 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“We do have emergency supplies for at least 72 hours which include nonperishable food items with basic utensils, toilet paper, camp stove and propane canisters, water.

We also have outerwear ready, especially for any winter emergencies, but also rain gear for rainy weather.

I keep toiletries and medications in a train case that can be easily obtained as well.

We feel like we're prepared but hope and pray that we never have to deal with an emergency situation again.

The only family we have nearby is my disabled sister and her hubby, who have emergency contact info. Also is our disabled son's 24/7 caregiver, who also has this information. We have a few neighbors that we have given this information to as well, in the event they need to contact our daughter, who lives out of state.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  3:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read the book Blogging for Creatives and chose farming as a retiree as a topic. It looks like a beginner has designed it, but practice will make perfect.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  3:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have chosen wordpress as my host. My blog is called Life In The Gap. I have added my blog to Girlgab.com. Word press has been easy to work with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I cleaned out my cabinets, consolidating items, discarding items that are no longer usable. I have plastic containers without lids to go to the recycling box when I go tomorrow.

It was much needed task. I tend to put it off until I cannot find anything at all. Hopefully, I can be better at this in the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I started my compost heap. I have been adding peelings to it and a little scratch hoping the chickens would work it for me a little. I am starting to see dirt. I read the book Worms Eat My Garbage.

I'm starting to make dirt. The chickens keep it well spread so I have to do a lot of raking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have a container herb garden started with rosemary, parsley, basil and cilantro. My herbs are coming in very handy.

I am experimenting more with herbs and are enjoying fresh herbs better than dried. I will be adding more herbs as warmer weather comes in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:13:07 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have been taking 15 minutes a day to chill out all by myself without electronics. I'm calmer now, but that might have something to do with being retired.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“Since I have been cross-stitching for 50 years, I taught my granddaughter to do a simple bookmark. She is not so thrilled with cross-stitching, but she's only 10. She did a fairly good job for her age. I started with stamped material.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I learned the per inch of the material, I prefer 14 count. Also the different material such as waste cloth. It was a refresher. I did a Christmas stocking for my great, great nephew to be.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have been gathering and recording recipes from my family. Some that I have used many times and know by heart and so I vaguely remember. It's been a walk down memory lane.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane Butters
Administrator

11 Posts

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I needed to:
•Meditate for an additional 21 days. The average length of each session should be at least 10 minutes. Try different types of meditation techniques, such as breathing exercises.

I am very pleased to report that I have been meditating for over 400 days! Wow! First, I want everyone to know that I never intended to meditate or use mindfulness, It just sorta happened! Moreover, it really doesn’t matter how often or how long one meditates. What is important is that you are living fully present in the moment. My practice this month has to not judge myself or others. This all came about when I was meditating after reading a bible verse from Matthew 5:43-44.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”

I have to admit that I find it hard to do this. Yet, it is a practice like meditation. Something that you work on each day. So I have been praying and doing a loving kindness meditation for some people that have caused me much harm and have broken my trust. I have realized that by praying, meditating, and sending them warm wishes in thought that I have developed much compassion and empathy for them. At the same time, I do not wish to re-establish any relationship with them. This is part of my boundaries that I have established.

For this badge, I also decided to read a book called Work by Thich Nhat Hanh. Below is my Book Review. I really have found Mindful meditation a positive cultivation for a life filled with more joy and peace. I would encourage everyone to give it a try.

Work

How to find Joy and Meaning in each Hour of the Day

By Thich Nhat Hanh

A book review by Ginger Dawn Harman

In creating a more mindful lifestyle, I wanted to read some of the teachings for various authors that were listed in my MBSR course book that I attended. Although, I am not a Buddhist, I feel that we can all be mindful and respectful of different beliefs. I often tease that my faith is a bit Potluck since I have learned many wonderful positive behaviors from different religions and faiths over the years. Work by Thich Nhat Hanh will not disappoint you as a reader. Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese monk, a renowned Zen master, a poet, and a peace activist. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize by Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1967, and is the author of many books, including the best-selling The Miracle of Mindfulness. He has created a wonderful book titled Work that incorporates mindfulness and healthy choices. In his own words he wanted to give others the opportunity to examine and live a more mindful lifestyle. He states “how we deal with workplace scenarios, handle home and family responsibilities, and endure traffic jams and other challenges of modern life. By carefully examining our everyday choices he encourages us to become a lotus in a muddy world.”

I encourage you to read this book slowly and to create an open attitude as to how we can each create a kinder and more compassionate world. We live in such a busy world full of connections and disconnections. Hanh explains that in this business, we often confuse Joy and happiness with excitement or expectations of what must be. My favorite quote from “Work” was, “Perhaps one of the reasons we don't enjoy all these activities as much as we could is because we think activities need to be exciting for us to enjoy them. Many people confuse joy and happiness with excitement. But excitement is not the same as happiness. With joy and happiness we have a sense of satisfaction. There's a feeling of satisfaction in being in the here and now, when you recognize you have so many conditions for happiness in the present moment, whether you're sitting, walking, standing, or working.” I have gone to lunch and have often left dissatisfied because of the constant photos that must be taken and then the play by play that is then posted on social media. It was as if I was having lunch with a camera and sadly, it was more about the story of the other person. This book had me shift the focus on not the frustration of the lunch date but to create better choices in my life. How often have I looked at my cell phone while out to lunch with others. This book is a great means to shifting ones perspective.

Let’s face it, Joy and Happiness is not a “like” icon or is an excited constant posting of look at what I have done. Joy for me the connection with a fully present moment. Experiencing the good food, the smile on the persons face as they share, and the positive reciprocal companionship is what makes a lunch with a friend a “joy.” Not the judgmental, drama, or constantly need to fill others attention. This book goes into detail how to create healthy boundaries in relationships and best of all how to resolve a conflict. I did have a bit of a giggle how even a monk can get annoyed with another monk over something that seems so little such as chewing too loudly. In every moment of life he emphases, there are infinite reasons to suffer and infinite reasons to be happy. What matters is where we’re putting our attention.

At the back of the book are suggestions on how to continue to create a mindful lifestyle at work, home, and even why driving in rush hour. I appreciate the way that this book is not preachy and gives the reader the choice and what works best for each of our circumstances. I highly recommend Work by Thich Nhat Hanh.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane Butters
Administrator

11 Posts

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  3:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I did tons of decluttering, added storage ideas found online, tossed or donated items that I no longer use.

For the love of Merlin! I could not believe how many Tupperware, Rubbermaid, and Glad container lids that I had with no match! By the time I tossed those lids out, I had 50% more room. After, I cleaned that area, I decided to attack the baking pans, and casserole dishes. For some reason, mine tend to balance on each other. With a bit of rearranging, every dish has its own place. I also hung an adjustable bar under the sink to hang my cleaners on. This gave me extra room for other items that I keep under the sink.

I find having an organized kitchen makes it easier for meal planning and heck you are less likely to get injured! Have you ever had pots come crashing down on your head? Same goes with the pantry, nobody like to clean us a jar of tomato sauce and broken glass!

It is rather easy to get organization tips to reduce clutter. I like searching on Pinterest. This way, I am able to see the photos without the advertisement pop up.

I do like how Lifehacker.com gives short and to the point advice. Below in green is what they suggest.

Decluttering is the first step to organizing any room, and kitchens tend to have more unique kinds of clutter than other rooms: ice cream makers and other wedding-registry items, gadgets you were suckered into buying from TV infomercials, useless knife sets, and so on. Use the box method to weed out the kitchen tools you never use, reevaluate whether you really need more than the essential kitchen items in your kitchen, get rid of the bulk spices that have already expired, reboot a junk food-filled pantry, and use up food in your freezer at least twice a year. This checklist can help you decide which kitchen tools to purge or not.

9. Opt for Space-Saving, Uniform, See-Through Containers
One of the main contributors to kitchen chaos: Mountains of mismatched food storage containers. You only need a few types of food storage containers to maximize the amount of space you have in your cupboards. We prefer square or rectangular containers that stack up well, such as the Snapware Glasslock containers that can go from fridge to microwave to dinner table to dishwasher. We also recommend organizing your spices with cleanly labeled, identical containers, perhaps on a magnetic spice rack or arranged in jars in a geeky periodic table of spices system.

8. Make Use of the Back of Your Cabinet Doors
The inside of your cabinet door is wasted space. Instead of leaving that surface blank, organize your measuring cups and spoons there, store pot covers on the back with inexpensive hooks, build a knife block into the back of the door, hold cutting boards in a magazine rack on the door, and pretty much mount anything to the back for easy access. You can also just paint the inside of the doors with blackboard or whiteboard paint to keep a running grocery list and weekly meal plan.

7. Create Sections with Tension Rods
Tension rods are a surprisingly awesome organization tool throughout the kitchen. You can use it for hidden paper towel storage, organizing cleaning bottles under the sink, creating an extra shelf for spices, and creating pantry dividers or lid organizers in drawers.

6. Get Rid of Wasted Dead Space
Got a kitchen with awkward, unusable spaces? Yeah, me too. If you have trouble seeing or reaching items at the back of a space, such as the cabinet under the sink, the inner depths of your fridge, or the corner of your pantry, a Lazy Susan could help. For that weird space between your fridge and the wall next to it, build a roll-out pantry or a sliding spice rack (you might be able to use an IKEA shelf to create your own). If you’re desperate for more space in your kitchen, turn those false drawers in your kitchen into usable storage space. You can also create a secret toekick drawer at the bottom of a kitchen cabinet on the cheap.

5. Know Which Foods Go in the Fridge, Freezer, or Pantry
Part of having an organized kitchen is having your ingredients stored properly. It wastes less food and it makes it easier to inventory what you have before you go grocery shopping. Here are our general guidelines for storing foods so they last longer in the fridge or freezer and which foods you don’t need to refrigerate. Don’t want to memorize them? Print out these charts and hang on your fridge to keep track of your food inventory and also know when foods are about to expire. Likewise, this graphic illustrates how long essential pantry foods will last.

4. Store Food in the Fridge Properly
It’s not just a matter of keeping foods in or out of the fridge, however. Within the refrigerator there are ideal spots for different types of foods. Dairy, for example, is best kept on the upper shelf where the temperature is most constant, while meat should be in the bottom of the fridge, where it’s coldest and any leaks wouldn’t contaminate other foods. Check out more fridge storage guidelines here or this infographic. You might also want to organize your fridge with a first-in-first-out (FIFO) method, like grocery stores do or use an “eat me first box” in your fridge to make sure you don’t waste food. And of course there’s this stack beverages in your fridge with binder clips strategy for clever beer storage.

3. Maximize Pantry Space So You Can See and Reach Everything
Out of sight really is out of mind when it comes to food storage. In the cupboard and pantry, make sure you can see and reach everything with things like stacking shelves, Lazy Susans, and clear storage containers. You can also group items in your pantry by meal (e.g., pastas next to tomato sauces) so you remember what to cook. For hard-to-stack cans of food, create a can holder using a magazine rack or organize canned goods in your cabinet with a closet rack. The back of your pantry door is a perfect spot to hang an over-the-door shoe holder to gather snacks, seasoning mixes, and more.

2. Create Kitchen Work Zones
You’ve probably heard about the kitchen work triangle, the triangular layout between fridge, oven, and sink that makes it easy for a cook to move about the kitchen. Whether or not your kitchen conforms to this ideal, it’s helpful to think of your kitchen in terms of work zones: food storage, dishware storage, cleanup (sink and dishwasher), prep, and cooking zone. Store items according to their related zone. If you tend to have more than one person cooking the meal with you, you might create a second prep zone. Alternatively, you might want to add a baking zone or other specialty zones so everything is organized and kept in the proper places.

1. Store Items Logically
That leads us to the last and most important point: Have a place for everything and everything in its place. Julia Child’s kitchen had a place for everything, with pots and pans hung on pegboards with their outlines drawn around them so she could put everything back in its place. Items you use most often should be easiest to reach, while you can put items you hardly use (e.g., turkey carving tools) higher up in the cabinets. Group your items next to the tools you use most with them (e.g., can opener by the cupboard you store cans in, baking ingredients with the baking pans). These and a couple of other simple suggestions will help you organize your kitchen like a programmer. And here’s our geek’s guide to rebooting your kitchen.

With just 20 minutes each day, one area at a time, You too can “Get It Together” and have a well-organized and safe kitchen environment. Then again…. It will be safe if I am not the one cooking! Hmmm… Maybe I need to find a cooking Merit Badge!”
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane Butters
Administrator

11 Posts

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  3:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (#6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“In January, I spoke with my doctors and received the approval to exercise at our local Health and Wellness Center associated with our hospital. I have been battling a left bundle branch block and pulmonary issues. After several test and a couple of different inhalers, my health has stabilized. So time to up the psychical fitness. For starters, I have set the goal to visit the gym four days a week. I also did the psychical assessment and will do another one in three months. This will also be given to my internal medicine doctor. For weight loss, I have set the goal for ten pounds. It is best for me to go slow and steady so I do not get discouraged. As for eating. Let’s face it. I eat too much and eat terrible food.

Nevertheless, I am making it a goal to purchase more local and organic items. Oh and eat less of it. I am really proud of the progress that I have made in my fist month. I have lost four pounds and have tried several different classes such as Tai Chi, Water Aerobics, Interval weight training, and the machines on the main gym floor. I am a fan of the elliptical and recumbent bike. My favorite class is water aerobics but today, I decided to step it up and do Aqua Boot Camp. Oh Lordy, my arms and calves are still feeling it. This was a good lesson to not jump into the harder classes when I am not ready.
I feel very fortunate that I am able to attend the Health and Wellness Center and look forward to my next doctor’s visit with my results. Even if you set a small goal with 250 steps an hour that is a start. To be honest, I take my health even though it is not perfect for granted. Many would be more than happy to walk, swim, or ride a bike. When I get discouraged, I imagine that those who are not able to do these things sorta step into my body and go for it. I imagine their joy and happiness. This snaps me real quick out of my negative mood. I feel that sometimes, our biggest challenge is ourselves. Anyways, I am glad that I am taking the time to take care of my health and I encourage all to do the same.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane Butters
Administrator

11 Posts

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  3:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have been wanting to make my own bath/ home products for years. I finally bought a few books and I have been reading on how to make things like bath salts, lotions, powders and all kinds of other products. I would rather make something myself and know where the ingredients came from rather than buy something in a store made with words that I cannot even pronounce.

It's going great so far. I made a glass jar of lavender-rose scented fizzing bath salts and I love them! Now, I am off to see what else I can make!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“While living in Florida my husband worked for a local grocery store food chain. He became friends with the butcher and learned about the beef they sold. From there we started researching grass fed beef. The information proved that the best beef to buy was from a local farmer who raised their own cows and grass-fed them.

From the research we decided to buy a freezer and buy our beef from a farmer. The information showed us the danger of buying commercial beef compared to grass fed beef.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Countrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I got a skein of Redheart Super Saver Yarn and using the single crochet stitch I chained 16 stitches for a finished width of 15 stitches. I started February 8th 2017 from 10:08 am to 10:46am. Then I crocheted on February 10th from 10:16 am to 11:22 am. On February 13th I crocheted from 12:38 pm to 1:28pm. I crocheted on February 18th from 2:56pm to 3:23 pm. At 3:24 pm I weaved in the ends which I finished doing at 3:29pm. This gave me a work time of 3 hours and 6 minutes. On February 19th from 11am to 12 pm I taught my 12 year old daughter how to crochet a chain stitch and the single crochet stitch having her start a dishcloth.

I have a beautiful Perfect Pink scarf to go with my pink camouflage coat. After finishing I noticed some mistakes but they are in the middle and make the scarf unique.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I printed up business cards. I have started a monthly craft night where women can come and learn how to use power tools and make things for the home. I am going to turn my garage in to a shop to where I can make word crafts/ furniture and refinish furniture to sell. I only allow 20 participants to come to each monthly craft class. I am usually full and people want to sign up that night for the next months' class.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (#170) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have been gradually making my own beauty and bath products at home. My hands and lips are always dry with all of the snow, wet and cold of a New England weather. I wanted to try something for my lips to keep them from cracking so I made a strawberry lip balm.

I really like it so far. Now I need to find a recipe for a good lotion for my hands.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:41:43 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“My mom was a farmwife, growing a huge garden with all kinds of produce. My dad also had fruit orchards, with peaches, pears, plums, apricots, cherries and LOTS of apples. We pretty much “ate off of our farm.” My mom was an expert as putting food away and canned everything there was. She taught me how to can, including the difference in what needed to be pressure canned as opposed to water bath canning. I practiced canning under her expert supervision so that she could guide me through the process. I have the Sunset “Home Canning” book and find it to be helpful for anything I need to check on. I’ve had this book for about 20 years.

I’ve been canning all my life and have had great success with all of it. Only occasionally would I have a jar crack. And, an occasional lid that didn’t seal. I also learned how to properly prepare what I canning for the process with syrups, seasoning (or lack thereof), etc.

Since it’s just my husband and I right now I don’t do as much and have sold some of my canning jars. There is also the issue of weather and whether or not there will be fruit to can. Sometimes it is our choice to freeze some things which would include peaches, applesauce and some jams/jellies, even though I do can those sometimes as well.

I’m looking at some of my own canning on the shelves and KNOW the ingredient list well for all of them.

I have green beans that were pressure canned and the only ingredients are beans and water. I have applesauce which was water bath canned, ingredients are cooked and processed apples, no seasonings. I usually add cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar when we’re ready to open and eat.

I have peaches which are water bath canned, ingredients are peeled peaches and a light syrup.

Well, there is nothing like your own homegrown goodies to put away for the winter. You know what’s in the jar and it’s tasty and healthy! Will be canning as long as I’m able and there’s something to can!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:45:17 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“Our 72-hour supplies kit is definitely portable in the event we need to evacuate. We also have sleeping bags and Therma-rest mats readily available if necessary. We also have a train case that contains our first aid supplies that we can add to the supplies as well.

Because of what is in our pantry we are able to “shelter-in-place” should that need arise. We also have a generator, lanterns.etc. as well as all kinds of equipment needed to “dig out” or whatever might be the need.

We also have a camper trailer that we could easily hook up and take to the road, if that is a reasonable plan. It is equipped with everything but food, which would be fairly easy to do because of the location and layout of our pantry. It does not have food in it over the winter because we don’t want it to freeze or have anything that would attract mice, etc.

We feel like we’re prepared for most anything, however we try not to assume or be over-confident. It is always a reassessment/re-evaluation process. There is the need to check for anything that needs replaced or repaired, etc.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I did online research to find a holistic and natural veterinarian.
I looked at the labels and ingredients of all our pet foods.

For the holistic veterinarian, the only one we have on the island is a Dr. Lynn Robblee, and she works along with our regular veterinarian. We need to get our bloodwork, vaccines, scans etc. done through our regular vet and she then comes in beside him and provides a holistic approach to prevention.

For our food, we use organic non-GMO food for all our animals on our farm, so I double checked with our feed guy where it was coming from and what was being put in it. For our cats, I make food for them as much as I can - one loves it, the other despises it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I did research on natural ways to get rid of mites/lice/fleas/ticks for our cats and fowl. I shared a recipe with my Wildflower group.

We have our cats neutered. In the rare event we need to wash our cats (ie sprayed by a skunk, poor thing!) I use the same homemade shampoo bar on them as we use for ourselves. For their food, we use organic food, and as much as possible, I make it myself. I was intrigued in learning how to make a homemade tick repellent as we have just had ticks move over to our little island and had one on our poor kitty this summer. Here's my favorite recipe that I found, that I shared with my fellow Wildflower Group:

8oz. apple cider
4oz. warm water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
20 drops of Citronella essential oil
8 drops of Melaleuca essential oil
8 drops Rosemary essential oil

Shake together in a spray bottle, spray and come through hair of cat daily.

The other thing that I found really essential is learning about DE (Diotamecious Earth)for our chickens and their chicken lice. We spread it in their dirt baths, surround their coop in it, and spread it on them weekly as chicken lice is also on the rise here. Quite the task when you've got 70 feathered friends (between turkeys and chickens) but well-worth it for prevention!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  3:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (#170) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have been having a ball learning how to make my own bath and beauty products. I have been trying to use the most natural ingredients that I can find. Right now I am working on perfecting my bath oil recipe. The first recipe I tried, I think, was a bit too oily so I toned it down a bit and the next time I tried it, it came out awesome! I sent my mother a package of homemade goods and I also made up two baskets for two of my husbands aunts.

So far I am loving this! One of the aunts used up everything in her basket in a matter of weeks. She said she used every single bit of it and loved it and I think she wants me to make her some more which I will be more than happy to do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  4:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Hilary Syddall (knyttwytch, #6958) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“Meditated for the whole of January for at least 5 minutes a day using an on-line meditation tool. I feel calmer (apart from a couple of serious stressers!) and will continue with this to get my Intermediate!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  4:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Heather Hayes (#6831) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“1. If you don’t know how to quilt, learn. I already knew how to quilt, I started quilting about 17 years ago. I have taken several classes and attended multiple quilt meetings, spent time quilting with friends, etc.

2. Pick a simple pattern like a doll-sized quilt that will help you learn the basics, even just sewing squares together. My first completely finished quilt was a Log Cabin quilt that I made for my queen size bed. It took me 8 hours to cut and piece it.

3. Learn how to add a backing and batting and do simple quilting stitches to hold everything in place. Finish your quilting project. There is a three-hour minimum time investment required.
A little quilt I cut, pieced, and quilted on my own with no help it was a crib sized windmill quilt. (Still twitching from the prairie points.) This winter I tried a new pattern and made a quilt for my husband for Christmas 2016. It took 12 hours to cut out, piece, and finish the quilt.

4. If you already know how to quilt, teach someone how to quilt the beginner project. The summer of 2015 I taught at my Daughters American Heritage Girls summer camp and I taught eight girls how to quilt. Each girl completed a small snack mat. Then together they made a bandana quilt and sat in a circle as they quilted the quilt together by tying it with embroidery thread.

All of the projects were finished, though my quilt closet is full of a lot of UFO (UnFinished Objects) but this past year I have picked back up and completed 6 quilts so far. The girls quilt projects from camp were so special to me as they each had their struggles to learn new skills they each over came them and had a mat finished to take home. They were so proud of the work they had done I had girls aged 12-15 and my own daughter was in the group. She was very happy with hers as she also had used fabric that she had dyed herself in the mat.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page