Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I bought an old camper to fix up for glamping, so I started out my quilting merit badge by hand piecing a couple of pillows (four squares) and a tablecloth (Around the World pattern). It is in that cute owl print and matching solids. I am really pleased with it. Already my camper has a fresher look!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Women Merit Badge!

“I made my own survival pack. My son gave me a good knife and storm-proof matches for Christmas. I had most of the rest of it already in the house, just not in a pack yet. I teach an intro class on plants at Mohican Outdoor School, so I know quite a few native plants. Dandelions are NOT native!

In researching Ohio's DNR list of rare and endangered plants, I was surprised to see poison ivy listed! I continue to learn something new with every merit badge! Being prepared is very important to me.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I bought a small notebook to keep in the truck to record mileage and gas. I started checking the fluids and tire pressure every week. I didn't know the clutch had a fluid reservoir that takes Dot 3 brake fluid!!!

Because I was writing the mileage down, I became more accountable to myself and started condensing trips and figuring out the shortest loops to drive.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“I read Timothy Ferris' book on "Seeing in the Dark..." It was very interesting and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. My library also got his DVD in for me and I watched it with my 3 grandsons. Have also been keeping a log. Finally have the phases of the moon down! My son got me a nice telescope so I hosted a star party for the grandkids. We saw the nebula in Orion and lots of other things.

Besides the telescope, I got a new star chart and researched the upcoming events for 2017.

Already have plans to go to KY. to see the TOTAL solar eclipse in August!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I started a vocabulary journal when I started reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." Then I read "Seeing in the Dark," "Omnivore's Dilemma" and "Secret Life of Bees." My vocabulary journal is getting quite big!

I am continuing to keep my vocabulary journal! I have learned so much since starting to work on merit badges! I just finished a book called "Rising Prices, Empty Shelves." Author Bill Heid started out his book with a quote from "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and then toward the end he talked about Polyface Farm. I am so glad to be able to make connections as I learn new vocabulary!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I not only watched the trailer for "Vanishing Bees" but also the whole movie. I read Sue Monk Kidd's book "Secret Life of Bees" and then my library got that DVD in as well. I planted several packets of milkweed and a package of "Bee Food Plants", which included purple coneflowers - one of my favorites.

I learned a lot from "The Vanishing Bees" about CCD. I had two hives years ago - one died from virroa mites and the other one swarmed. I am looking forward to getting two more hives in the near future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:51:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“I have started a journal for practicing calligraphy and read the book "Read Modern Calligraphy: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started in Script Calligraphy" by Molly Suber Thorpe.

I am left-handed, so I have had to do some extra homework on calligraphy for lefties and what I have learned is that we are pretty much on our own. Each lefty uses either left or right handed nibs depending on how they hold their hand. I bought two left-handed books blessed by left-handed calligraphers and learned a lot about how to write depending on how you hold your hand. I am what is known as a curler. With a bit of practice, I could produce some slightly shaky letters. With a lot more practice, I might be able to produce a work of art.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I gathered many of my relatives' recipes. We used plantoeat.com to store our recipes online so family members who joined could also share them.

It was neat to get some from my Great-Grandma's old BHBG cookbook and enter those in, so that I can make treats for my Grandpa that he remembers and loves (from his Momma!)

Sharing recipes was a good way to connect with Aunts and Great-Aunts, as well...it gave us something to talk about, plus we found some great new recipes (like my Aunt Kirky's Ham Bone and Bean soup...a new-old family favorite!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  5:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Farmerette of Heidi Schaap #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“My Mentor (Mom) and I purchased a wonderful class on Craftsy that teaches you how to make staples at home, that you might otherwise be used to buying from the store. We completed the class section on yogurt-making, and immediately went to the kitchen to apply what we've learned.

After learning the basics using the stovetop method (which was tasty!), we learned how to make a second batch in the Instant Pot, and put homemade peach preserves at the bottom of each jelly jar to make "fruit at the bottom" servings. It was a big hit, and something we repeated as long as our cow share was providing fresh, raw milk. (We will start again in the spring!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Carol Womelsdorf (Countryhomesteader, #6607) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“The types of emergencies in our area would include mostly hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, and occasionally floods. Our town has a few small rivers known to flood the street. But our main problems would be loss of power and heat due to these situations.

To respond to these situations we would need to be prepared to stay put or leave. For this we would make a choice for safety and use our plan from there. We have never been told to evacuate. To stay put we would use our supplies of food, water, that we have stored for such emergencies. We would also be using our skills learned for such types of situations. But to leave we would grab our to-go bags that are already packed and our water supply, stove, fuel, sleeping bags and other necessities to survive for a longer period of time. Our plan has been in place for a long time now. Flooding would be a problem due to blocked roads and hurricane or tornadoes might also be a problem with wires and trees down as a safety concern. Then we would shelter in place.
We have what we need to do both plans. We have emergency routes mapped out to go various routes to get to a safe destination.

The supplies are growing as each item is checked for their use. I can see we could use some more water supply and a smaller emergency stove so as to be portable for use in case we must leave. Also a tub of seasonal clothes and linens in a tub would be a good idea. Making some dehydrated foods would be an excellent addition that I will be trying this summer for both staying home and leaving situations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Carol Womelsdorf (Countryhomesteader, #6607) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I have made and purchased 72 hour kits from a survival source on line and gave them away as Christmas gifts to family members this past Christmas. My 72 hour kit I made can be used for a longer period of time and packed in a tub for protection. I sealed each meal in heat sealing bags as a complete set. Breakfast has everything for 1 person including 2 packages of oatmeal, a granola bar, raisins, dried fruits, hard candy and a pack of matches, plastic spoon and napkin. Lunch has a protein bar, tang, jerky, and dehydrated fruit. There are many of these put together.

There are several packages of dehydrated meals in this tub along with canned meats and a can opener. Plus metal bowls that serve as our dishes and 1 pot. This is in case we need to grab and go. In our 72 hour kits (we each have one) we have the same items plus medications, first aid kit and flashlights. Our water supply is close by the kits in a designated area. Our lanterns, batteries and camp stove are all in that same area. More food is on shelves.
Emergency contact cards are made up to carry in our personal kits and in our wallet and car. It has names of MD's, family members and any meds, medical conditions, or allergies we may have.

So far it is working out well. I rotate our food and check the expiration dates on the prepackaged food I have sealed. I do need to put the emergency contact cards in the go bags, but that will be printed up today and sealed in plastic. I think I can make up a more diverse selection in the breakfast meals and will go on line for ideas for that. I feel confident that we are OK for that duration of time. More batteries wouldn't be a bad idea either, along with emergency candles. I will be adding in those.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Carol Womelsdorf (Countryhomesteader, #6607) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I added a get out bag in case of evacuation and kept our 72 hour bags as it maybe needed. The evacuation bag is a larger framed back pack that can store many more supplies, such as food, clothing, a larger medical kit, fishing supplies in a Altoids container, 3 ways to start a fire, batteries, survival knife. flashlights, another cook pot, protein bars, rice, and more smaller items. Being careful that it is not too heavy.

A sleeping bag is tied to the bottom of the frame with a tarp and large garbage bags with bungie cords. We also have our camper fully stocked and ready to go in case we need to leave and are able to take it. In this bag are hard candy and cards, along with personal hygiene supplies, rain ponchos, extra socks, 1 small ax, duct tape, para cord, 2 life straws for water filtration. I just purchased a solar phone charger so that will be added also. This pack can be used in case we need to carry and walk out. The other supplies are in tubs and include more food, water, blanket, clothing, cooking utensils. We also have additional food in easy carry buckets that was purchased from Wise Food Company. They are grab and go or eat in.

The shelter in place kit can use the supplies from the 72 hour kit and the to-go bag. I also have a fully stocked pantry and water supply. There is more than 2 weeks worth of food and water to go around. I also carry a smaller back pack in my car in case I get stranded or an emergency and it will keep me going until I can get home. It also has food, fire starters, emergency blanket, first aid kit, meds, and other small items. I change it over from winter to summer and rotate items.

It is doing very well and I add to the home supplies when I can. I would like to add more emergency supply food and more water. I have had emergency medical and survival training while practicing with what we have. I need to add a cast iron pan and oil to my evacuation tub when I can find an extra one. This would be much better over a wood fire. We try to read up on survival skill that we may not know of and keep fresh with them. Hopefully we won't have to use them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlnsjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“BEEF: The untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World, stated that rib eye is the ultimate cut. It is my favorite steak; cooked medium without any sauces!

There are several locals who raise beef to sell and some ranches that participate in the farmers’ markets in my area. In talking with some of these folks, I found there are as many opinions on what to feed, how and when and the timing of butchering as there were people.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlnsjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“A year ago, I decided to purchase two steers and “finish” them April to October. From the people I had previously talked with, I chose a rancher who didn’t use hormones and left the calves with the mothers on pasture for a full year. Since we have a lot of snow where I live, cattle are fed hay when they can’t get to the pasture. When I brought the steers home, my granddaughter wanted to know their names and if could she pet them. I laughed and said “hamburger” and “roast beef”. I explained to her that these animals were not pets. They hadn’t been around people very much and were a bit skittish. I told her that we would care for them and then they would be “dinner.”

My sons build a run-in shed and we purchased bedding material. I have a small pasture and had to supplement with hay. My children and grandchildren took turns with me feeding the cleaning up the pasture. As a family, we enjoyed taking care of them and are definitely enjoying the beef how! It was a little bit sad when the slaughter guy came. He did a great job and was very respectful of the lives of the steers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I tracked the daily day and night temperatures. In addition the precipitation and the temperatures of those days to determine the level of ice that would be on the road and our driveway. The wind speed and direction was also important to me for deciding where to put our greenhouse to get the most sun, less snow coverage and the door location. Sunrise and sunsets were also helpful information to determine the length of day and sleep patterns we have been experiencing.

Knowing the weather here in our new house helped us to plan our outside activities, location of the greenhouse, and the amount of fuel (oil, wood, pellets) we need to keep the house heated. The length of days helped us to regulate our sleep patterns and best time for rising and going to bed. Overall the weather patterns in our new home, while being new to us will help us to better understand the winter weather for the coming years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read the book "Beef: The Untold Story...." It was an interesting read about the history of the cow.

While living in Florida I research local farmers who grass-fed their cattle.

When we moved to Maine I also research and inquired from the locals which farmers sold their beef and contacted them to determine if they grass-fed their cattle.

In Florida most farmers did a mixture of grass-fed and grain. There were two farmers who did grass-feed only and I met with one of them. She showed me around her farm and where the cattle was kept for grazing. She was friendly and helpful in answering all of my questions.

When I moved to Maine, I met with a Farmer from Duff Farm who grass-fed their cattle. Joel took me around the farm and showed me the area they grazed in and the barn where he would milk his cattle daily. He was also friendly and very helpful in answering all of my questions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“While living in Florida we were unable to have a cow, so we purchased from the farmer whom I spoke with earlier a 1/2 cow. When we moved to Maine, we also purchased a 1/2 cow from the farmer whom I had spoke with when we arrived.

The Florida cow was aged before we received our order. The Maine cow was not aged. The difference in taste between the two orders were different. Overall the meat was superior from what you can buy in the grocery store and we will continue to buy our meat from the local farmer who grass-feeds his cattle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“With the construction phase of our house we found there was little to no insulation anywhere in the house. The windows were single pane and did not keep out the wind. Eastern Maine does have rebates for insulation in the attic and basement.

The previous owner had complained to the neighbors on how hard it was to keep the house warm during the winter months. When we found out there was little to no insulation in the house we decided to upgrade and put insulation and add new windows.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“Since we live on top of a small hill and the area is known for its wind, the windows would howl and you could feel the wind coming in through the windows and up from the basement.

Sealing the leaks was going to take more than a caulk gun. We decided to replace the windows and the front door to remove the wind from entering the house.

Making the decision to install new windows that would seal the area from the wind entering the house and stop the air leakage proved to be a good first step in proving air tightness. The front door was replaced along with the removal of the two side windows. Both of these upgrades provided a tighter house and protection against the weather from outside.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“Since we had a major heat loss through the attic and basement, we hired two contractors to insulate the house. The attic the insulation was blown in and the entire attic was sealed up. The basement was also blown in with 2" of insulation.

The first major difference after the attic was done was on the 2nd floor. It was warmer than it had been before. With the basement, we noticed that the house felt tighter and the floors on the 1st floor was warmer compared to before. Another difference we noticed was the usage of wood and oil heat to heat the house. We were using less and the rooms held there heat better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I've been a writer for many years. Most of the time there is nothing I love more than sit with either my laptop or a pen and paper and make up stories. Most of the time I have so many stories rattling around that I hardly have time to write them all down. I don't let too many people read what I write, in fact the only person that has really ever read anything is my mom, which has been great because I trust her instincts (we are both book fanatics) and she always points out of I used or spelled a word wrong. One of my most heartfelt wishes is to be published one day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“I decorated a jar to hold the money accumulated from the Monday lunches that I gave up, and at the end of the month, that money was donated to our church’s food bank. It felt good to take part in helping others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Since I already have a sewing kit, I put together the beginner’s sewing kit in a container I decorated and gave it to my friend’s 8 year old daughter.

She was really excited to get it and said that she has been wanting to fix her doll clothes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“After learning that baking powder is baking soda mixed with cream of tartar and a drying agent, I baked three different breads using the chemical leavening agents. The banana bread used just baking soda; the corn bread used just baking powder; the Irish soda bread used both baking soda and baking powder.

I found the banana bread to be the densest, the corn bread to be a little lighter with almost a grainy texture, and the Irish soda bread was the lightest (except for the burnt bottom crust).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  6:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“My dad’s side of the family is from Norway, so I decided to learn more about the country and the Norwegian language. The library had a few books, and YouTube was a great resource for hearing the pronunciation of the Norwegian words. “God dag” means “Good day,” and, “Hvordan går det” means “How are you doing?” I also studied how to count to 100 in Norwegian.

I only feel comfortable saying 1-10, except for 7 which has two different ways to say it. It was really neat looking at pictures of where my family came from and learning about their culture. Hopefully, I can make a trip to Norway someday.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page