Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  4:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Countrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I found a miniature antique replica chest at my local farm store that had wax melts in it. I bought it for my button collection. Then I went around my closets and rag bag and took off all the buttons off of sweaters, pants and shirts that were no longer wearable. I came up with 53 buttons and put them all in my chest.

I have a start to my button collection. I have an attractive chest to keep them in and now have buttons if I ever need one. I plan on continuing to collect them. Perhaps once garage sales start up I will find more buttons.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  3:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Countrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I bought 5 Isa Brown pullet chicks on March 11th, 2017. On March 20th, 2017 I bought 12 Buff Orbington straight run chicks. I am feeding them Dumor organic 19% chick starter crumble from a Tractor Supply store.

I now have my chickens, and although the buff Orbington chicks will give me some roosters, I am happy with them and looking forward to having my own farm fresh eggs.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“To earn this level of the badge, I needed to do two things. First was to read an autobiography about a woman (living or dead) who influenced history in my country. I chose to read the Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt.

The second part was to share five things that I learned. Here is what I posted: I'm not big on posting facts about people, so these points are more what I learned on a personal level.

- I hadn't realized how intertwined politicians' lives were and perhaps still are today. Franklin Roosevelt was named Assistant Secretary of the Navy and in the process of a sailing trip with then President Wilson, Eleanor Roosevelt met and had lunch with then Governor and Mrs. Calvin Coolidge, a future president.

- I'm going to quote part of the book for the second point... because I do not think I could restate it nearly so eloquently... "It may seem that I have gone into a great deal of frank detail about our family affairs and the personal life of the family. I have done so with a purpose, because I sometimes wonder whether the American public, which encourages the press to delve into the private lives of public servants and their families, realizes how much the family of a public man has to pay in lack of privacy for the fact that he is willing to serve his country in an elective or an appointive office" (page 140).

- I was made more aware of the hardship of war. Mrs. Roosevelt had taken two of her young sons to France to show the devastation after World war 1 and the grave of Quentin Roosevelt, when one of the children remarked about there seemingly being only older generations of men and boys there ages, but no men their father's age. One does not think about the generational gaps caused by wars... or the destruction left, as we here in the United States have not fought on our soil in such a long time that we do not know what it is truly like!

- Hyde Park was donated to the Federal Government by Eleanor Roosevelt after Franklin Roosevelt had passed. I had thought, for some reason, it was after they had both passed! I cannot comprehend handing over my husband's favorite place to be, to the people ... even if he had served four terms!

- Towards the end of the book (Chapter 33), a personal conviction of mine is reiterated ... When many are asked why the United States entered World War 2, they will say because of Pearl Harbor... and if asked why the Japanese struck, they will say it was unprovoked. This is not completely accurate. Eleanor Roosevelt put it as "Pearl Harbor was only the climax of years of mounting misunderstandings and antipathies throughout the world. And out of all this came Hiroshima." (340)

As much as I enjoyed the book, I did not enjoy reading it. I find Eleanor Roosevelt to be an amazing woman who did a lot for this country, with her number one job being supporting her husband and raising the children, but I found the book difficult to read in large doses, which is odd for me, as I love to sit and read! I think part of the reason is the heaviness of the topics covered. She obviously wrote in her journal in order to remember all she did, but she didn't seem to capture any of the "small things" in life that bring such joy. I cannot help but wonder what it would have been like to personally know her. Would she have delighted in the sound of cooing from a newborn, the smell after a fresh rain, or the wobbly legs of a newly born animal? And then I must reflect on myself when I post about the day's happenings here on the boards at MJF, in emails, texts, or on my blog, do I focus on only the weightier topics of the day or week, or do I take the time to express my joy at the eagerness of my children in their endeavors, the delight I find in the clucking of the hens, the spring in my step after I see a newborn calf wobbling after its mother in the field? If each of us were to write our own autobiography, do we realize the impact we have on our country now - even "just" by being wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, and nieces? Do we realize the impact our words have, be them written or voiced?”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  4:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I'm not a shopper, in fact I don't like to go shopping at all, but I do love old things. I'm a total history nut, so I do like to go antiquing. A few pieces of Wedgewood have caught my eye over the years but I never purchased any. Of course, the fact that it's made in England made it even more special to me as I have been obsessed with English history most of my life. And so, I finally started buying some small pieces. I've also been researching the marks and learning what they mean.

I love Wedgewood! I plan on buying many more pieces, but only if they speak to my heart.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  5:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, 4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I was orphaned from the age of 5. To complete this badge, I ordered a DNA kit from Ancestry.com and found out where my roots lie. I found out my lineage was mainly Irish with German and others as well.

I had always known that I was of Irish descent, but was surprised when I found out that I was also German descent. I was glad that I submitted the DNA test and had a start in finding out about my ancestors.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“Since the day I was diagnosed with breast cancer, we have made a major change in our eating habits and diet. Living in Maine, the majority of the Amish farmers are organic food growers. We have purchased all of our vegetables from them since the first of February and will continue to do so until we are able to harvest our own crops, which will be organic grown.

Taking the time to really analyze our food and where it comes from has proved to be enlightening. I am thankful that we live in an area where organic is the way of life. I have tried more green vegetables than I ever did in the past and have found them to be quite tasty.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  5:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, 4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I signed up with Ancestry.com to learn more about my ancestors. I had the name of my father and mother and a little bit of additional information. Armed with this information, I was able to start a search into my lineage.

Through Ancestry.com I was able to track my father's history back to the late 1700's. This is where I found that German was part of my descent and am looking forward to tracking and finding more information. So far I have been unable to find anything about my mother, but I hope to find something soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  5:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756, #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“Most of my UFO's have been packed away since we left Florida. Now that we have moved into our new house, I was able to go through all my craft boxes. I put everything away and with the UFO's left pending, I organized them into categories, made a list of each item that was unfinished or never started. I purchased all the materials needed for the ones that I never started. I wanted to complete them before we moved, but never seemed to find the time. The UFO that I chose to complete for this badge was one that I wanted to complete before we moved. With winter and having time on my hands, I finally finished making all the dishcloths for our new home.

I had purchased about 5 new skeins of yarn for this project thinking I would get about 10 dishcloths. The design that I used was one of my own and I was able to get a total of 15 dishcloths. I have more than we will ever use in a year and they should stay in pretty good shape.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  11:08:42 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I have now been meditating for 471 days! I honestly think this is the longest that I have ever kept a habit. Well ok, I do read my Bible daily but I don't keep an app log for that.

Anyways, I think I have spoken much about the praises of meditation and can not begin to say how much this has helped me.

I have also had the pleasure of mindful eating! This is a very good practice because it slows you down and I have found that I appreciate and am able to taste the food that I am eating better.

Here are the best explanations from one of my meditation experts on Insight Timer (The app I use).

"Walking meditation is a form of meditation in action.

In walking meditation we use the experience of walking as our focus. We become mindful of our experience while walking, and try to keep our awareness involved with the experience of walking. Actually, there are several different kinds of walking meditation. We’ll just be looking at one of them in detail, although we’ll touch on the others. Once you’ve mastered one form, you’ll easily be able to pick up the others.

Obviously, there are some differences between walking meditation and sitting meditation. For one thing we keep our eyes open during walking meditation! That difference implies other changes in the way we do the practice. We are not withdrawing our attention from the outside world to the same extent that we do when we are doing the Mindfulness of Breathing or Metta Bhavana (development of lovingkindness) practices.

Walking: The Ultimate Exercise for Optimum Health

We have to be aware of things outside of ourselves (objects we might trip over, other people that we might walk into) and there are many other things outside of ourselves that we will be more aware of than when we are doing sitting – especially if we sit inside. These include the wind, the sun, and the rain; and the sounds of nature and of humans and machines.

But one of the biggest differences is that it’s easier, for most people, to be more intensely and more easily aware of their bodies while doing walking meditation, compared to sitting forms of practice. When your body is in motion, it is generally easier to be aware of it compared to when you are sitting still. When we’re sitting still in meditation the sensations that arise in the body are much more subtle and harder to pay attention to than those that arise while we’re walking, This can make walking meditation an intense experience. You can experience your body very intensely, and you can also find intense enjoyment from this practice.

The practice of walking meditation can also be fitted in to the gaps in our lives quite easily. Even walking from the car into the supermarket can be an opportunity for a minute’s walking meditation.

The form of walking meditation we’ll be introducing here is best done outdoors. For your first attempt, you might want to find a park or open space where you will be able to walk for twenty minutes without encountering traffic."

I encourage all to take a moment and be mindful! Oh and here is some mindful art I made.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  11:28:26 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“I am so excited to have earned this badge, mostly because my son earned his with the Boy Scouts at the same time.

For the past six months I have been learning piano and I did have two videos of my progress on my blog. However, I deleted my blog last week. Nevertheless, I did receive several compliments. Our family decided to start a Family Jam session on Monday nights. This has been so much fun and it will create great memories for our son. Well, the sound of us playing may make great conversation.

We also had the opportunity to go to a performance with the Airmen of Note Air Force Jazz Band. This was a huge treat and I really was impressed with the music. My son also recently had a school concert and this was also a delight.

I encourage all to make a joyful noise!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  11:37:45 AM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, 120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“My button collection was started many years ago when I was a little girl. I loved sorting through my mother's and grandmother's button cans. They both gave me a few buttons to start my own.

This collection has grown and now I'm a grandma and still enjoy sorting buttons!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  11:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“I made this stepping stone along with another one about 5 years ago. I used precut stone, but I cut the glass myself from a 12x12 tile. It was fun learning how to cut glass. I love the stone mixed with the glass, because the glass gives it some reflection, but not too much.

This was my first mosaic project, and I enjoyed it so much I’ve mosaiced many things since.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, 120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“To earn the beginner level crochet badge, I learned to crochet from MaryJane’s stitching room book. I was able to complete a simple scarf and am happy to say that it looked nice enough to wear.

I received several compliments my scarf and even made a few for Christmas gifts. Not the easiest thing for me to do, but I am glad that I learned how to crochet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  11:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, 120) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“To earn the beginner level knitting badge, I learned to knit with other farmgirls at a chapter meeting. We knitted a simple dishcloth. The first one didn’t turn out quite square, but it washed dishes great!

After the first one, I tried a few more with different edges (purl and knit). There was notable improvement with each one. I love homemade dishcloths and am now able to make my own!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:05:38 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“This concrete birdbath was sitting on a relative’s porch collecting junk. They gave it to us, and I decided to mosaic it. The basin is supposed to resemble a Pisces symbol. It sits in front of our house now, and birds use it!

I remember doing this project in the summer, and it was so hot outside that I really didn’t want to finish it. I’m glad I did though. It makes me happy seeing it in the front of our house in the spring!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, 120) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“To earn the intermediate Farmgirl Jubilee merit badge, I planned a get together for several friends and invited them to my house to celebrate the jubilee.

Afterward I shared rhubarb jam with a neighbor, while wearing my farmgirl chapter apron. The pink one in the photo!

We were small in numbers but had a lot of fun tasting herbal ice creams and doing a show and tell about the projects we are all working on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“When we moved into our house we had plywood on one of our countertops. I decided I was tired of seeing it and not being able to clean it very well, so I mosaiced a countertop. It’s supposed to be red flowers with wind at the top. It might be my favorite thing about my kitchen.

The tile surface made the counter much more functional. It was fun to make as well. I had leftover glass tile cut already, so I didn’t need to do extra prep work. It’s much nicer looking than plywood!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I have flipped to the BakeOver page in MaryJane’s Ideabook so often that the book naturally opens there. I am not very good at “winging it” when it comes to recipes. Something about being an oldest child and liking to do things “the right way,” no doubt. I don’t have that problem when it comes to BakeOvers. I love the freedom to experiment. That is the heart of the BakeOver! I often use whatever we have on hand to create my BakeOvers.

Last summer we had weeks of BakeOvers using vegetables from the garden. Our garden was much smaller than the years before, since I had a baby in May, but what yield we had I used often in BakeOvers. One of my favorite combinations was eggplant, tomato, peppers, mozzarella and the basic crust found in the book with a little thyme thrown in the flour. I’m not a huge fan of eggplant, but I would eat it prepared this way. I also frequently made a taco-style BakeOver with peppers, chicken, black beans and corn. These are the ones I remember but there were others, and my family loved them.

BakeOvers are always delightful to make. I have some that have been loved more than others, but I have never made one that wasn’t good! I’m so happy to have this easy go-to for quick, nutritious meals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“My first recipe is a pizza-inspired BakeOver. I used a ten-inch skillet. I have often made this recipe with different appropriate veggies from the garden, and sometimes meatless. This is the basic recipe.

Cook 1 lb sausage and 2 cloves garlic pressed in a little olive oil. Add 1 16-oz jar of tomatoes, cook until broken down. Add oregano and basil. Add mozzarella cheese in a layer. Using the basic crust recipe, add oregano to the flour. Roll out crust to fit skillet, and cook at 425 for 20 minutes.

My second recipe is inspired by a Turkey Bacon Sandwich. I used leftover turkey breast. The turkey meat was dry, so I made a roux-based sauce for this BakeOver. I used a ten-inch skillet again.

Coat pan with olive oil. Cook 2 pressed garlic cloves. Do not Brown! Add 1 chopped tomato, a few crumbled bacon slices, and 2 cups turkey breast meat. To make the sauce: Melt 1 T butter, add 1 T flour. Mix 2 minutes. Do not brown! Add 1 cup milk and whisk without boiling, until thick. Add 1 T Dijon mustard. Add the sauce to the skillet and mix together. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Add basic crust rolled out to fix the skillet, and cook at 425 for 20 minutes.

My family loved both BakeOver recipes, and I loved making them. BakeOvers are the perfect way to use leftovers to make sure no food is wasted!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:40:00 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, 5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“My oldest daughter absolutely loves to quill. It was she that inspired me to try for this badge.

This art dates back for many centuries, with it becoming popular in the 18th century. There is a wide array of materials used in quilling, including the slotted tool, needle tool, tweezers, scissors, circle sizer ruler, a regular ruler, curling coach, glue, and a crimper tool, along with paper - be it acid-free, graduated, or two-tone.

For my beginner project, I decided to make a multi-media project. I actually made two. One was a butterfly that I added pearl beads to, and this one, which is of lilacs.

I can see why my daughter absolutely loves to quill! It is extremely relaxing, and the end results are beautiful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, 5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“The requirement for this badge was to create an intermediate project that took at least three hours to complete. I spent a lot of time on Pinterest searching for inspiration for a project. Then I joined a bee swap, and the perfect project for both came to life. :)

I honestly have no idea how long this project took me! I know I spent many afternoons and evenings working on it, as well as the majority of a weekend. While I found a picture I was trying to replicate to a degree, I had no directions, and was on my own as far as how to create it!

Overall, I think my project turned out fairly well. The recipient of the canvas seemed to enjoy it as well. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at the expert level in the future!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  12:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“Minerals are a naturally occurring substance. Sometimes they are made of one chemical element. For example, diamond is made from carbon. More often a mineral is made up of two or more chemical elements. For example, fluorite is made from calcium and fluorine. Minerals are distinguished from one another using several characteristics such as: crystal structure and habit, hardness (Mohs scale 1-10), luster, diaphaneity (transparency), color, streak, tenacity, cleavage (a smooth break producing a flat crystal face), fracture, parting, and specific gravity (density of the mineral compared to the density of water). One of the most commonly used minerals is salt. Other common uses for minerals are graphite for pencils, tungsten for lightbulbs, and diamonds (and other gems) for jewelry.

Rocks are made up of several minerals and other organic compounds. There are three types of rock: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. Igneous rocks are formed when molten lava cools and solidifies. Sedimentary rocks are formed by deposition and over time the cementation of material on the earth’s surface or in a body of water. Metamorphic rocks occur when igneous or sedimentary rocks are changed due to heat or pressure. Rocks have many common uses today. Coal is used for energy. Granite is used for construction and monuments. Limestone is used for cement, paper, fiberglass, linoleum, and the coating of many types of chewing gum.

It was extremely interesting learning about rocks and minerals. I think it helped me remember things that I learned in my childhood. As I was researching, many things I found looked very familiar. I was very surprised about the limestone on gum!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  1:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“The most common waxes used in candle making are soy, paraffin, and beeswax. There are also soy-paraffin blends, and some people even use crayons to make candles. Soy wax is natural and will hold scent well with fragrance oils. Paraffin is a petroleum by-product. It will hold scent well, but has been linked to health issues such as aggravating asthma. Soy and paraffin are comparable in price. Beeswax is natural and has a long-lasting burn life. Beeswax is significantly more expensive than soy or paraffin.

Candles are typically scented with fragrance oils or essential oils. Some fragrance oils are blended with essential oils, but most of the time fragrance oils are synthetic. They are affordable, and offer more selection. It is easier to have a strong-smelling candle scented with fragrance oils. Essential oils are more expensive and they do not react well with heat. Because of this the smell of the candle is often weak. Essential oils do have therapeutic properties that are beneficial rather than just smelling nice.

Candles can be dyed synthetically using liquid dye, powder dye, or color chips. These methods give you more control over the shade while dyeing the wax, and they are easy to use. Candles can be pigmented naturally a few different ways. Powdered spices, ground herbs, flower petals, and berries can all be used to color wax. If candles are dyed naturally, the color may fade quicker, and may not burn as well.

The research seems to show that if you want consistent, controllable results, you should use synthetic products. Personally, I think it’s worth the gamble to use natural material, even if the candles may not turn out exactly as you hope.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  1:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, 5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I have dabbled with embroidery in the past, primarily when making Christmas ornaments with felt. It wasn't until I started looking into this badge, however, that I realized how many different embroidery stitches there are. Wanting to create something I wanted to hang on my wall, I searched Pinterest for inspiration, and came up with a design that would work well for our family. It allowed me to exemplify numerous stitches, while presenting a "motto" of sorts for our family.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the outcome of my sampler. It is unique and fits well within our home. Once I started working on it, it became quite addictive. I worked on it each afternoon and evening until it was done!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  1:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“We don't eat a lot of processed food, but with small children, I always have plenty of crackers in the pantry. For this badge, I decided to replicate cheez-its and graham crackers. Cheese crackers are a bit of a luxury. We don't always have those on hand, so they were excited about them. We usually have a bed time snack for the kids instead of a treat. They love graham crackers with milk for a bed time snack.

My kids and my husband loved the crackers. Both replications tasted as good or better than the store-bought versions. They were also really fun to make. I spent time with my daughter while I was making them. She watched me and occasionally "helped." She mostly ate scraps of dough between baking. We had a good time together while I was earning this badge.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page