Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“On our way to move here to Wyoming from South Carolina, we visited numerous friends and some family. One of our stops was for about 24 hours at a rustic cabin in the woods. There was no indoor plumbing or electricity, though there was a port-potty set up. While technically our cell phones were with us, as were all the rest of our stuff, we had no signal. That 24 hours was glorious! I loved spending the time with my dear sweet friend! Sitting by a campfire and enjoying nature was absolutely delightful!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I live in the Ozark Mountains of Southwest Missouri, 17 miles from town. My property is 2 1/2 acres in the country. I have woods on three sides of my property.

I am preparing for Wildfires, making an emergency plan to evacuate our home. It is me and my elderly husband. I live off the County Road that leads to the main road.

There are two entrances to the county road but the whole road is also full of woods, that once they start burning, people would have a hard time getting out.

I live a quarter mile from the main road, but even that has woods on both sides for miles. With more wildfires happening , this is my concern. Getting out safely.

I have made a list of important things to grab in a hurry. Medicines we take, heirloom quilts, photo albums, important papers. I try keeping all these things to where they are easy to grab.

Enough clothes for a few days, water. At this point I am not concerned about food because our son lives 25 miles away in town.
My biggest concern is being able to get out onto the main road to safety.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I do not use slang or abbreviations in text, blogs, etc. I am a poor speller, but I try and find that I'm better than I think. Being the daughter of a fourth grade teacher, I have never been much on anything but proper grammar and doing my best with spelling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I have oiled all door hinges and none squeak now. We do not have bikes, I oiled the chain on the porch swing.

I have a barrel with sand in that we add used oil to when we change oil. I run my tools through this oily sand mixture after every use. It cleans and sharpens them after each use. Oil is important for many reasons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  12:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I am very pleased to start the "green" lifestyle. I have a huge collection of reuseable bags but seem to always forget them or they are scattered around the house. My first task was to gather them and place them in the truck. I also decided to keep one in the coat closet for my library books.

Did you know that the average American goes through six shopping bags per week. With a population of roughly 300 million, that means 1.8 billion bags are used and discarded in America every week, and all of that trash adds up.

I will admit that I like to use the plastic bags for my small bathroom trashcans but I feel that by using the reuseable bags it will cut down on waste.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I gathered up all of your UFOs and put each one in a tote or bag. For me a box, It was glass.

Make a list of supplies needed to complete each UFO. Search your supplies to see how many of the supplies you already have and mark them off your list.

Place the list in the bag with the appropriate project. Pick one of the UFOs and get the rest of the supplies needed to finish it.

Once the UFO was finished, I posted pictures of it on The Farmgirl Connection.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that this UFO has taken over one year to make!!! I started a discussion in Chit Chat with the gnome home, I finished. Problem is that I have so many UFO's that it is an invasion of the crafting kind!

Yet, I finished the stained glass window for the military auction, several cross stitching bookmarks, and best of all I fished the St. Patrick's Day Window!

Photo of the Texas Flag project. I am also happy that it sold at the auction for $65.00 to help the military folks at Lackland AFB!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  1:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I made an effort to improve your grammar and spelling. Refrain from using slang, abbreviations, or any form of text-messaging language.

I used a dictionary, pick an unfamiliar word to be your word of the day, write down the word along with its meanings and uses, and try to incorporate the word into your daily activity. Continue to do this daily for two weeks.

I have a terrible time with grammar. Yet, I know how important it is to take the opportunity to expand one's skills and improve on those skills that I am not that good at.

I made sure to take the time to write slower and make an effort to reread what I have wrote on my blog, scripture journal, and in my letters to my penpal.

My penpal sent me a letter and chuckled because she noticed my "new big words."

Maybe I shouldn't have used hobbledehoy. However, that is the funniest word that I have ever seen and now I can't stop using it. My son doesn't seem to appreciate it as much but it has added a bit of laughter to our home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, #6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“My local extension office at Blandy farm in Va. was very helpful with which plants in your area are edible, where they grow, and what season is peak to forage for each.

I also took a free online class.

I was given the opportunity to take an herb class. I thought this would be a wonderful chance to learn about the healing qualities and plant identification when growing or forging for wild foods. The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine is located in the botanically rich Appalachian Mountains, just outside of Asheville, NC. They provided this wonderful course that I participated in.

In our first class, we learned that humans have been ingesting medicinal food long before we even evolved the ability to make fires for our tea. Animals seek out medicinal plants to eat as remedies for specific ailments— early humans were no exception. I learned that herbs that might be typically picture as medicine (teas, capsules or tinctures) can also be made into —pestos, sauces, popsicles, vinegars, salads, salts, broths, soups, and more!

LIST OF COMMON MEDICINALS THAT ARE FOOD/CULINARY HERBS

• Chickweed (Stellaria media, Caryophyllaceae) • Calendula (Calendula officinalis, Asteraceae) • Violet (Viola sororia, Violaceae) • Burdock (Arctium minus and A. lappa, Asteraceae) • Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale, Asteraceae) • Nettles (Urtica dioica, Urticaceae) • Hawthorn (Crataegus spp., Rosaceae) • Elderberry (Sambucus nigra, Adoxaceae) • Hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa, Malvaceae) • Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum, Lamiaceae) • Monarda, Wild Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa, Lamiaceae)

As the class progressed we learned the most important rule....

Be absolutely positive of your identification before you harvest and ingest any wild food or medicine.

It is common sense that you should know what you are harvesting. If in doubt, do not gather! Consult with local herbalists, botanists, and field guides. A story was told of how one woman died from eating a poisonous plant. This is why it is so important to take courses by trained professionals such as The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine.

The class offed many videos and goes into great detail each part of the plants botany/floral terms. What I liked best was the booklet and audio lessons that were able to be downloaded and used for future reference.

The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine also provided many links and future classes. Juliet Blankespoor the Green Mastermind at the Chestnut School provides a wonderful free and many other courses such as their Online Herbal Immersion Program. I really enjoyed the mini class and look forward to joining other programs

I also started a board on Pinterest for wild foods and herbs.

https://www.pinterest.com/gingerdawnharma/herbs-wild-foods/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  4:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I had been wanting to learn how to decorate cakes for a while so I took a Wilton class. I thought I would learn a lot about different tips and how to use them but I really didn't. The class was a disappointment and I didn't even finish it. All they wanted to do was sell more Wilton supplies. If you wanted to learn how to decorate the cakes, you had to buy the book and learn at home.

So that is what I did. I bought the kit, a book to go with it and I have been teaching myself.

It's going well. The tips are really fun to use although I don't quite have the hang of it yet, I am getting there though!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  4:34:47 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“As I said for my Beginner badge, I bought a kit and a book and I have been learning by trial and error. I am having fun using all of the tips and seeing what I can do with them but I think that I still have to practice some more.

It's turning out okay. The first time I tried to make homemade frosting it came out a little stiff, but it still tasted good and I still frosted the cake with it. Everyone ate it, too! So I guess it didn't come out that bad. I want to try and frost some homemade cookies next. I think the tips for the frosting are going to work great with the cookies that I have in mind.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  4:48:35 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette Friedman (Bridge, #7277) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I try to always use my reusable bags when shopping. I have the little teal fold-up shopping bag and I keep this folded and in my handbag. Because the hardest part of using reusable bags is remembering to take them in the store. It is also really great for those times you are in a shop browsing and pick up an impulse purchase.

I also found the big canvas bag at the thrift store a few years back and it is awesome!! I think it is a Lands End, but it is heavy duty, has pockets around the entire interior, and a clip for your keys.

We have a local store, Ruler that you have to bring your own bags or pay for bags. I always seem to have a bag when I go there, lol. I wish all stores would do this. It would reduce the excess trash of all the plastic bags. It would also change the mindset and people would bring their own bags.

I love using my reusable bags, because I know I am reducing waste. I also like not having the clutter of all the plastic bags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“The most used methods of Canning are Boiling Water Bath and Pressure Canned. There are two groups of foods--high acid foods with a PH of 4.6 or lower and low acid foods with a PH of more than 4.6.

High acid foods generally use the water bath method and low acid require pressure canning at higher-than-boiling temperatures for safety.

Boiling water bath is used for jam, jelly, fruit butter, preserves: fruits, tomato sauce, & juice, pickles and relishes.
Pressure canning is required for vegetables, meat, poultry, seafood: and combination recipes that include low-acid foods.

Different Jars of store-bought canned food:
Pickles are vacuumed sealed. Classico creamy spinach & parmesan sauce is pressure canned (vacuum sealed)
Progresso hearty chicken noodle soup-vacuumed sealed.
These are all vacuumed sealed for safety and to preserve.

I have been either helping Can or doing it myself all my life. I know there are other methods for canning but I have always use water-bath and pressure canner.

These two are what is used in most of the Canning books I have. It was interesting to learn about how store-bought canned foods are processed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I posted ten pictures I have taken in the style of Arnold Newman on the Merit Badge Chit Chat. I read the book "The Camera Phone Book." I learned to look at daily things in an abstract way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a pillow case apron. I made the ties too narrow and it was hard to turn them inside out to hide the seam.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a hanky apron as seen in the Oct 2015 magazine. I made my top different from the magazine and I think I would change it if I had to do it over.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have assembled a sewing kit, with pins, needles, thread, buttons, scissors, safety pins, a hem remover and a needle thread key, since I cannot see the eyes of a regular needle. It helps to have everything at one place.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“The five root vegetables that I grow are radishes, potatoes, onions, carrots and turnips.

Also in the store you can find sweet potatoes, parsnips and garlic. I want to grow more root vegetables.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I purchased my life-time VA fishing license. I went to the trout farm and caught two trout - one brown and one rainbow. I came home and gutted them (you don't have to scale trout) and grilled them with lemon. Great. Fresh trout are really good.

We do not keep fish from the Shenandoah River they are not safe to eat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected a dozen cloth shopping bags, two of which are insulated. I use them whenever I go shopping. I feel like employees are watching me for shoplifting as I walk through the store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  5:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I have learned to use a whet stone and keep my knives sharpened. This is dangerous for me as I usually cut myself when around sharp objects.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  6:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Karen O'Toole (kjmytc, #7345) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I learned about quilling through library books, magazines, and online searches. I purchased a beginner set with a few tools and various colors of paper. After practicing with the slotted tool, I created my first piece.

I like how the piece turned out. I look forward to making more, though I did find it difficult to work on with the kids around! It will have to be a "me time" hobby, until my girls are little older.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  6:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Karen O'Toole (kjmytc, #7345) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have a collection of a few hundred buttons. I like having the buttons available. The girls and I mostly use them for crafts. When I took down the jar to take a picture, my youngest immediately dug her hand in to play with them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel (Madelena, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“I drew a simple Lady Bug picture. I cut a piece of contact paper to fit the stepping stone mold. Then I took the paper backing off the contact paper and laid the sticky side up over the drawn design.

I cut the stained fiberglass with nipper and laid it on the sticky contact in the shape of the Lady Bug. Press the glass firmly onto the contact.

Put the contact- Bug in the bottom of the mold with the stained glass on top. Mix Quick Crete and partially fill the mold, add a layer of wire mesh/ screening/chicken wire. Then finish filling with the rest of the cement to the top. Tap the mold gently on the table to help the cement settle around the stained glass. I let is dry and carefully I molded it onto a towel. I gave it a week to cure and gently unfolded it, took off the contact paper, and cleaned the glass with a damp sponge.

Turned out great! Love it!! I was hoping to make several stepping stone for the yard, and this was my first.
I plan to make more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  4:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel (Madelena, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“This is actually the first mosaic I had ever done. I was "painting" (correct term is drawing) Byzantine Icons for a year or two. I was inspired by the artwork in the cathedrals, and came to love the mosaics.

A craft store does not have the range of colors needed to compete a replica and I could not find a source, so I decided I could make my own. I used Sculpey clay. Rolled it thin, cut it into very small squared and baked it. I enlarged a picture of Christ the Pantocreator and traced it on a board.

I used E6000 to glue it on my board, following the colors of the picture. I used white grout to finish it.

When it was done, I gold leafed the while background and double gold leafed the halo. The border is done with texture wallpaper glued to the board, painted midnight blue, and finished with some gold buff in a jar from HL.

I really like it. Most people can't tell I didn't use a ceramic or stone it's very heavy, of course since it's backed with plywood. Haven't found a "home" for it yet, but I hope to hang it in the craft room.

It's been awhile since I made this and can't remember actual,dates.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  4:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel (Madelena, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“This mosaic is a from the Good Shepard with his flock.It graces the entry arch in the Mausoleum of Galla Placida in Ravenna, Italy.

I chose to focus on Jesus and the one sheep he is feeding. I made a copy of the picture and enlarged the area I wanted to recreate.
I was able to order imported Smalti from as American supplier for this one. I cut a plywood board with an arch, and traced the design onto the plywood.

I used stained glass nippers to cut the Smalti into the smaller pieces I needed. Then, using an adhesive worked in gluing the tiles. I averaged 2 sq. Inches an hour. After it picture was ready,I grouted it.

Smalti is a mosaic glass made with molten glass and metal,oxides for color. The mixture is pours into flat slabs. Unlike stained glass, it is thicker and opaque.

I think it went quite well, although very slow.

A friend of mine was planning a Renaissance themed wedding and she asked me to bring the Pantocreator Jesus (creator of all) and the Good Shepherd mosaic for the alter at the church.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page