Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  5:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I have been doing a lot of reading lately about commercially raised beef. Along with reading the articles at eatwild.com and ieatmeat.com, I just finished reading The Omnivore's Dilemma.

There were a lot of things that I learned about feedlot beef, things that were surprising, and kind of disgusting. I was most concerned about the physical health of the animal and the antibiotics that were added to their feed rations.

I also learned that grass fed beef has less fat, less saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. It is also higher in Vitamins C and E, beta carotene and Omega 3's.

We buy our meat from local sources that I personally know. I buy very little beef from the grocery store and will probably buy even less from now on.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Dawn Harman (Ginger Dawn, 6451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I was gifted a lovely gratitude Journal by my pen pal Mamey Brown. I wrote in it every day for a month with

I am grateful for

What I learned today...

I am learning to...

The Best Part of Today was...

I am still writing in this journal and have discovered that I feel more positive and less stressed during the day.

I am also really enjoying The Book Of Awesome by Neil Pasricha, I was shocked at how fast MaryJane's librarian sent the book! I am almost finished with the book and it has really made me laugh and ponder simple things. In a way, I wanted to simplify my life a bit more because of this book so I deleted my blog, and the rest of my social media! Yes even Pinterest.

I want to make my connections more meaningful and really enjoy every present moment of my life.

The hardest part of this badge at the beginning was to not repeat what you are grateful for but after a week, it came to me rather easy.

Honestly, we have so much to be grateful for and when we open our hearts and become aware of this, our lives are much fuller!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  5:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I finally got the book, "Beef", finished! I have to say, it was not my favorite book. Although I love beef, my family has raised beef for a living and I am one of the PBR's biggest fans. I was NOT a fan of this book!

I also did some research for my area of where I can buy locally raised beef. I was surprised that there were so many. We have several friends that belong to a group that formed several years ago of ranchers around the state committed to selling their beef raised without hormones. They sell directly or in a couple of local stores.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  5:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“We always buy our beef from our local 4H/FFA Auction. Our county has very strict guidelines for the kids who raise livestock to sell at auction. They have to keep records of any and all products used on their animals, even shampoo. If it is not listed on the bottle, package, etc. for livestock use, it is not to be used. All vaccinations have to be recorded with the withdrawal date listed. The auction has been known to pull an animal from the sale if the withdrawal date has not passed at the time of sale.

We used to be the leaders of our own 4H group but now just go down and visit the barns and the kids and talk to them about their projects. They are usually so excited to tell you about raising their animals and many of them have their own herds going and this animal might be a 2nd or 3rd generation of theirs. The young man who we bought one of our last steers from spent a lot of time telling me about his daily routine with his animals, what he had been feeding them, where he had been showing them. He was quite an impressive young entrepreneur! We feel very confident buying from these young people and will continue to support them and our local 4H/FFA program.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  5:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I am not known for having a green thumb, it's more like a brown thumb! I also don't have a lot of garden space anymore, but I decided last summer to start small and tuck in a few plants here and there where I could. I decided on zucchini and heirloom tomatoes.

Surprisingly, we had zucchini and tomatoes and how delicious! I also found 3 organic sprays that I can mix to control aphids and mites, which I will use this year. I didn't use any pest control last year but I will have some ready in case this summer is different. I'm planning on using it on all of my roses. I also read the book, "Montrose" and enjoyed it. I don't think I could ever garden on a scale such as that!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  09:46:39 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc, #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It! Merit Badge!

“I hung and labeled my hand tools. I made a wooden planter from scrap pieces of lumber.

Trying to square scrap pieces of lumber doesn't work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  09:50:21 AM  Show Profile
Amber Jennings (Amber S., 5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I started crossfit and my goal is to go twice a week. I have been doing this now for 12 weeks!

I feel stronger and it feels great to accomplish a goal!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  09:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Amber Jennings (Amber S., 5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have been buying mainly organic and I have been purchasing organic, free range, and grass fed meats. I have continued to be consistent with attending crossfit 2 times a week.

I feel healthier and more energetic. I am creating healthier food choices for my family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Amber Jennings (Amber S., 5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“We made bakeovers with our farm girls. It was fun and delicious.

They turned out great and I look forward to making more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Amber Jennings (Amber S., 5102) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have more than 6 reusable shopping bags and I use them for my shopping trips.

It works out great. I just keep them in the car and it is convenient.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  09:56:42 AM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“My children and I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling together as part of our homeschool day. Also, we started playing board games during our weekly Family Home Evenings. Some of the games included Operation, Mouse Trap, and Monopoly. Our favorite was a game called Camp which tests our knowledge of plants and wildlife as we move around the board trying to get back to the “campfire.”

This was a very fun merit badge to work on. I had forgotten how much fun our family has when we play games together. We will definitely hold on to this tradition!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  09:58:32 AM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I typed up a chart to keep track of our t.v. viewing habits for one week, did some extraordinary math to figure out what 20% less would be (the new goal was 47 hours and 40 minutes), and then tracked our habits for the next week.

I grew up on t.v., so it was no surprise to me that in the first week we had watched almost 59 hours of t.v., but seeing that number was a slap in the face. So, the next week, we spent a little more time reading or playing outside, and reduced the number to 45.5 hours. We already were careful about what types of shows we watch, so we didn't adjust anything about what we watched, we just watched less.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  1:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“I got more comfortable with my holders, nibs and inks by sending at least 3 letters to loved ones.

Paper really does make a difference. Having to stop to pull little fibers out of your nibs not only gets ink all over your fingers, it's annoying too! I am also getting much better at holding my nibs at the correct angle to get the ink out without making little splatters all over the paper. My mom, grandma, and aunts all loved their letters.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“I read, and practiced, "Creative Lettering and Beyond" by Gabri Joy Kirkendall and Laura Lavender. I also used several calligraphy holders, different-sized nibs, and inks create a piece of artwork with my favorite saying (just ask my kids), including a variety of flourishes, sketches, and fonts.

I even used some watercolor paints. In time my artwork may get a bit more elaborate, in fact the creative juices are continuing to flow as I write.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  2:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Countrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I don't care for half aprons so I designed and made myself a full apron. I chose a fabric that reminded me of a vintage Era. I took measurements of the front area of myself I wanted covered while cooking. I also measured my waist, then measured, cut, and sewed the fabric. I then wore it while I made a homemade beef stew and rolls for supper.

I really love the finished product. I will really enjoy wearing it while I cook.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Countrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“I made a list of all my Ufo's and then chose to finish the nightgown I had started.

I like the finished product and feel accomplished. Can't wait to finish the rest of my ufo's.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  3:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Beale (#7349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“Badge# 19 Blogging. So here it is. My Blog.

The first step is to read Robin Houghtons Blogging For Creatives. I happened upon two of her additional blog books and reviewed these as well.

I found several helpful tips. For the most part however, I have already taken active steps in creating a blog. There were some suggestions that I had not considered, such as the audience.

My trip log for example is a blog that I have created simply for myself. Following a format with a content flow, just never was a consideration. Quite honestly I'm not sure if I really want all the pressure and responsibility.

Managing a blog that has the expectations that lurk in a blog that a. has dedicated readers, b. includes links and or promotions and c. has the potential to make $ is actually kind of scary.
With a, b, and c, there is an expectation, commitment, proper grammar, spelling, discretion, fancy videos, promotions, time, pre-thinking and planning, overall a hole lot of WORK! I find that I blog simply for the enjoyment. I use my blogs as a journal that I envision only myself reading.

My own train of thought and interests change so frequently, I can't promise myself that I still be focused on one particular topic at any given time. Add the pressure to commit to an audience, is simply not my thing. I've committed to my trip blog simply because I blog about my daily adventures. Its easy to commit. It is my life!

If I get honest here, I'm really NOT that interesting, I haven't even worked on promotion for the blog because I really don't want people seeking it out. My friends are aware I have a blog, and often they are pictured in it, but I haven't offered or even referenced where they could find it should they be so inclined.

As I start my new blog http://thescrappyowl.blogspot.com, I am hoping to expand on my commitment to both followers as well as myself. I plan to welcome viewers and work on taking the next steps in becoming a blogger expert.

My scrappy owl blog will be dedicated to a journey in creative knowledge. This may be a little broad and perhaps I will find myself tailoring the focus a little more, but for now this is where the blog begins.

I think it is beginning to turn out great! Once I apply for my Intermediate level, I welcome you to come and visit my blog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  3:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Beale (#7349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have completed my very first post on my new blog
http://thescrappyowl.blogspot.com

I am about to add my new blog to GirlGab.com

Please visit my new blog and find out. I am pleased with my first post.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  3:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Beale (#7349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I began with researching the benefits of meditation. I guess I have always been aware of the reduction of stress associated with meditation, but after reading "Benefits of Meditation - 76 Things You Might Be missing" from http://liveanddare.com I found that there are multiple benefits to meditation that go beyond simply stress reduction. The Author identified studies found from all over the world and the benefits. The brain is affected reducing depression, anxiety and stress. The article even goes as far as to report that Meditation has been shown to be as effective as antidepressant drugs. Additionally MRI scans have shown after an 8 week mindfulness course in meditation the 18 subjects found to have an increase in brain matter. This result indicates increase in learning and memory, revaluation of ones emotions and perceptions.

Other benefits included reduction in the abuse of alcohol and substances, mind performance such as decision making, ability to focus and being able to work better under stressful situations.
Studies have also found evidence to support that Meditation relieves pain and helps with the management of ADD symptoms.
There are clearly some great emotional benefits through meditation, but also some added perks such as awaking the unconscious mind, and increasing creativity.

There are some medical benefits to meditation as well. Meditation was found to improve immunity and reduce blood pressure. One study showed that meditation decreases inflammatory disorders enabling faster recovery from illness.

Medical News today indicated that studies showed Mindfulness Mediation helped to prevent Asthma, arthritis and IBS. The relief of premenstrual cramps and menopausal symptoms were also shown to be reduced. The studies continue to identify Meditation as helping with fibromyalgia, reduced heart and respiratory rates as well as potentially reducing the change in the T cells found in individuals with HIV. Overall it appears that incorporating meditation onto ones life appears to result in a longer, more creative, and a less stressful life. WOW!!!

Types of Meditation-An overview on 23 Meditation Techniques: I was surprised by all the different types/techniques of meditation. Although they are similar they generally differ in the focus during the meditation.

For example, guided imaginary is a focused meditation while listening to verbal direction as one meditates. They generally start with a focus on one's breathing and lead the listener into a state of relaxation. The intent is to focus on what the verbal cues are leading you to. I found that this style of meditation worked best for me.

An example of Open minded meditation is Mindfulness. In this style of meditation the focus is to stay within the moment. The use of deep breathing, mantra's, visualization or fixating on cues from one's body. I personally struggled with this. Either my mind would race to other things or I would fall asleep. Although a Mindful meditation would include and even welcome the racing mind as part of the process, recognizing with practice these interruptions would be lessened.

The author of An overview of 23 Meditation Techniques (http://liveanddare.com) also identified Effortless Presence which includes no focus at all. The article offered multiple names for these techniques as well. When addressing my challenge I generally went with guided imaginary.

The challenge presented to earn the badge is putting Meditation into practice for 7 days for a least 5 minutes. I started my Meditation journey just a day after having had one very stressful day at work. March 14th 2017. The husband had also had a stressful 24 hours the previous day. (He works an overnight shift on Mondays.) I offered to provide some guided meditation music on Youtube.

I was about 10 minutes in and feeling quite relaxed when my puppy started barking. That ended Day 1 of my challenge.
The next few days were not interrupted.

I found it best to locate myself in areas dog free, children free and husband free as well. These were all guided meditations. Generally, I found myself taking trips away from focusing on the message and had to pull myself back. My mind often would go to the things I had to get done, stuff that was coming up and mostly anything that was not focusing on my breathing or taking that trip into the peaceful garden as instructed. I tended to do best when there was much more focus on breathing and less on the guided imagery. Breathing in and out...in and out. I stayed away from using a mantra.

If my head wasn't searching for other things to distract myself, I would be so relaxed I fell asleep. I did all of my meditation laying down. I think I may have to explore sitting up in the future. I fell asleep while listening to soothing music and lacking an instructor to guide me.

These 5-15 minute attempts at meditation although questioned to their success did seem to help me be less stressed. I think in expanding into the second piece of the merit badge I should spend more time in the meditation and actually work hard at focusing on the message. I certainly plan to continue. At the time of this submission I have continued to incorporate some meditation into my day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  5:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Roxanne Ettlin (LitlleBit, #7129) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I did a quick google search using the key words “history of origami”. I found the Origami Resource Center which gave me an overview of the history of origami with plenty of links to find more detailed information of that time frame or specific movement from origami historians. This site also has a library of written instructions, diagrams and videos of origami models. I chose to do a crane for my first try at origami and then had to make two more for my daughter who wanted to “try”.

The history of Origami can be difficult to pin down specifically due to paper’s limited lifespan. China is given credit for inventing paper, so they may have also started paper folding, but at the same time there is no physical evidence showing the Chinese did any paper folding in the beginning. Paper was introduced to Japan around the 6th century via Korea. Like all new things paper was expensive and thus used for important functions such as purification rituals and high value gifts.

Shide were one of the earliest paper folding (and cutting). These were attached to a staffs for purification rituals or attached to altars and shrines, and strung on straw rope to designate a sacred site. Since Shide involved some cutting it is not true Origami, the art of paper folding, but rather Kirigami. The title of First Origami model would have to be given to Ocho and Mecho, male and female butterflies, which adorned Sake bottles in traditional Shinto weddings. Origami Tsuki is a folded piece of paper that served as a certificate of authenticity to a valuable/expensive gift. Noshi is a token of good fortune accompanying a gift. Both have simple, but individual judgment folds. The art form that we know of as Origami did not truly appear until the 18th century with a couple books giving brief descriptions on how to fold a variety of cranes.

Roughly the same time, paper folding was being practiced in Europe in a uniform grid (squares, rectangles and diagonals). Original paper folding in Europe were used for rituals as well, such as baptism. Baptism certificates were folded in 3x3 or 4x4 grids. The “Pajarita” (little bird) is definitely from Europe as it is first created in Spain and documented in several paintings.

In 1950, Akira Yoshizana and Sam Randlett developed the origami symbols used to describe how to fold the paper into the models. Origami continues to grow and develop as more people play and fiddle with paper folding.

www.origami-resource-center.com/history-of-origami.html
April 26, 2017

Some folds were better when they were crisp and others serve a better purpose when pressed but not crisp. The folds that have several layers already and will be flipped seem to be easier when pressed as flat as possible.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  09:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I live in the country where there is no curbside service. I bring some of my recyclables to town on my way to work for drop off at the nearest "convenience center." There are bins for corrugated cardboard, newspaper print only, plastic bottles only; motor oil, filters, and batteries, yard debris, and heavy metal items are recycled in my county but I don't have those items. There is also a covered area for used televisions and computers, and a place for gently used items for community pickup. Gently used clothing and household items are taken to Habitat for Humanity or the Goodwill store in my town.

I usually take most of my recyclables to the next county over when I visit my best friend. Mixed paper, including magazines and junk mail, is stored in a huge bin for recycling. Metal cans of all shapes and sizes are recycled there as well as aluminum cans. Many types of plastics can be recycled without sorting. Glass of all colors can also be recycled without sorting. I end up with very little actual garbage; some weeks there is none! All the bins in this county are taken to another nearby county where it is sorted and sold.

Does it seem like a lot of work? I think about the impact of landfills. I think about saving this planet for my grandchildren. Recycling is not difficult once you get into the habit of doing it. Of course it takes an organized system and that I discuss in the Intermediate Level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My recycling system in set up in an old three-compartment laundry sorter, labeled Paper, Plastics, Glass and a small plastic grocery bag hangs on a corner to collect aluminum cans. I reuse empty feed bags for collection in the sorter. Metal cans and lids are rinsed after emptying and placed in a small trash can in the kitchen. It's so much to load the car and haul all the recyclables to the convenience center instead of putting all into the garbage bin! This will be an ongoing process for me!

With some thought and research, I have found ways to reuse many items that I don't want to recycle. The strips of paper with name and address that are torn from junk mail and magazines go into a cardboard box to start fires in my woodstove insert in the winter. Styrofoam egg containers make perfect seed starters. Some of my favorite dresses are in a container to make cloth strips for crafting and of course, all buttons are saved. I just started a new compost bin this week! I have also recruited my granddaughter to help her family recycle everything the convenience center takes nearby her home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Who knew I could actually call all those buttons a collection! I searched for the vintage blue shoebox that contained my mother's buttons from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Oh yes, what about the sewing kit I retrieved out of a trash can when my daughter was moving. I had found the most beautiful rhinestone buttons tucked among the bits of vintage lace. Then there were my own buttons, clipped from clothing, still in those tiny paper and plastic envelopes. There were also buttons given to me thirty plus years ago. By the end of the day I had my button collection without buying a single button!

I searched in different parts of my house for the buttons I knew I had. Start my own button collection! Oh my, what a joy to know I have approximately 300+ buttons from four generations! It doesn't stop there. I have requested buttons from worn out clothing from my grandchildren to add yet another generation to my collection. I'll keep searching for unique buttons to add to my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I searched through all my sewing items to create five separate sewing kits. I included all the items listed plus a few more of my own I considered necessary for any sewing kit such as snaps, hooks & eyes and loops, Velcro dots and strips, and a cloth measuring tape.

When I began dividing all the sewing items into separate piles, I had no idea I owned so much stuff! I found a Singer tin box in which to fill with all the items for a complete sewing kit for my bedroom. The drawers of my mother's old treadle sewing machine hold another complete sewing kit plus other items as well i.e. elastic, lace, etc. Two of the kits, in 6x6 tin boxes, will become gifts for each granddaughter. The last one, a small version, now rests in the glove compartment of my car.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  12:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“No research necessary to find holistic/natural care for my pets. Although I have to travel fifty miles to Charleston, AAHA accredited Bees Ferry Veterinarian Hospital has taken care of my pets for the last ten years. Taken from their website,"AAHA accreditation is a trusted sign of excellence. It shows that veterinary professionals are knowledgeable, equipment is well maintained and updated, medical procedures are cutting-edge, and facilities deliver high quality veterinary care. To maintain accredited status, BFVH voluntarily undergoes comprehensive on-site evaluations about every three years. There are 3,000 accredited hospitals in North America and they are one of them." Six female veterinarians are in the practice, specializing in all areas of care, including:
•Conventional and Traditional Chinese medical diagnostics
•Conventional medicine and surgery
•Acupuncture, Chinese herbal, and nutritional therapies
•Western herbal medicine
•Flower essences
•Cold laser therapy
•Massage and energy therapy
•Veterinary Chiropractic Care
•Certified veterinary journalist (ASVJ)
Veterinary Specialties
•Pet adoption/selection counseling
•Short and long term rehabilitation
•Pet weight loss programs nutritional and wellness counseling
•Veterinary hospice care
•Pet loss support
•Non-embryonic Veterinary Stem Cell transplants for arthritis
Traditional Medical and Veterinary Dental Care

Because I have had the empty nest for 17 years, my pets are my children. I have cared for a Chihuahua with an enlarged heart and leaky valves, cancer, and finally diabetes. Binky had to have the best care. I researched and visited many vet offices before choosing BVFH in Charleston. Binky passed away in 2015. I immediately found another Chihuahua to love.

Recently I have changed from a commercial dog food with grains to one without any grains and few meat byproducts. I researched labels to find a commercial food, Rachel Ray’s Zero Grain, for my older, arthritic dog. I also cook organically raised chicken parts, fresh turkey, and fresh duck hearts and venison when available with brown rice, with home-grown herbs, green peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes for both dogs and my one cat. My animals are my children at home! Their care is important to me!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page