Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have gotten rid of all cleaning products that are not safe for the earth or other living creatures. I have collected recipes to make my own cleaning supplies and to pare down the amount of cleaning supplies that are needed. I will no longer use non green cleaners and will use only products that are safe for the earth, my family and my home.

1. Got rid of all cleaning products
2. Spent a several days researching recipes and common household products to use and have begun a collection of information to use
3. Wrote a mission statement and pledge to clean green.

It's a work in progress!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“South Carolina has so many birds native to our state. Many of those feed either at feeders, on grasses, in or near my fish pond, or in the Edisto River which borders my property. Different types of feeders require different types of seed to accommodate the different types of birds. Research has been done to plant native trees, bushes, flowers, and brush to attract all sorts of birds to my yard, pond area and fields. Birding is the one activity I have never lost interest!

Northern Cardinals hatch their young every spring; Brown Thrashers thrash about loudly under the azalea bushes as they look for bugs and worms; Robins are a delight to see as the days get warmer, a sure sign of spring; the Carolina Wren usually lays her eggs somewhere near the house or on the back porch; Eastern Bluebirds use the houses made just for them as do the Purple Martins; Carolina Chickadee and their companions, the Tufted Titmice, are such sweet birds who delight in my presence. I love their chirping to get my attention! The songs of the Mockingbird are beautiful and original; I have one that sounds like a cell phone ringing! Sparrows and Finches are plentiful at the feeders also. The Cattle Egrets ride the horses as they eat the bugs; Northern Flickers love to eat from the pecan tree; I can hear the Pileated Woodpecker drilling into the dead pine tree nearby; turkeys roam the fields; Canadian Geese fly over every evening, heading to a pond nearby. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have arrived for the summer to feed on the nectar of flowers and feeders. Painted Buntings, with their patchwork of painted feathers, are the most prized birds at any feeder.

At work, I am the bird woman. The Killdeer couples who frequent the grounds recognize my voice and are not afraid as I approach the young ones! There is no display of the broken wing to lure me away from the babies. So many birds, too many to list.

Just a short drive away is the beach where shore birds thrive and Brown Pelicans fly just above the ocean waves. I’m sure there must be some birds I haven’t seen but I’m always on the lookout as I continue to explore my native state, South Carolina.

This summer I will be in the Southwest Region of Idaho. This is my list of birds I would like to see while visiting:
1. American Coot
2. Long-billed Curlew
3. Common Loon
4. Ring-billed Gull
5. Caspian Terns
6. Clark’s Grebe
7. Marsh Wren
8. Western Meadowlark
9. Yellow-headed Blackbirds
10. Willet

I'm sure there will be photos to share!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Hope Johns (woolybunny28, #7249) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I'm sorry to say that for too long my kitchen storage container cabinet has been a nightmare! So, for my first Farmgirl badge I thought tackling "Get It Together" was a wonderful place to start! I pulled out every container and paired it up with its matching lid. Any container that no longer had a lid was repurposed by my husband for his workshop and now holds screws or other odds and ends. Now, my containers are all neatly stored away and the lids stacked, ready to be used!

I love opening my cupboard now and seeing how neat and organized it is! I also know what containers I have available to me so I can easily find the right size for the job.
I plan on keeping this new look up!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  09:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc , #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have looked at packaging of products. I buy a lot of fresh produce and don't have to use packaging.

I have used baking soda and white vinegar with water to clean the front porch this year.

I am trying new mixes for cleaning instead of buying.

Homemade cleaning products don't hurt the plants and grass. It doesn't leave residue on my hands.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc , #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I toured the Hall of Valor in my hometown of New Market, VA. It is a civil war museum.

The young cadets from VMI marched from Lynchburg to New Market to give their lives on Mother's Day for their beliefs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  10:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Lenora McMahan (firecatinc , #7131) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept a grateful journal for the month of April. I read an entry from The Book of Awesome each day also.

I was grateful for family, friends, front porches, seeds, rain and many other things. The book makes you look at things differently and a little comically.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  10:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I can now identify:
Tarragon
Thyme
Oregano
Parsley
Lemongrass

I made a parsley based salad. I tried the tarragon and lemongrass and really liked them. I've always liked thyme and oregano I didn't know what they looked like outside of a spice jar (I'm ashamed to admit!) so now I know to buy the fresh stuff. I really (like really) dislike parsley! But now I know! ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  11:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Instead of choosing plastic while bagging up the groceries I've been using the cute reusable bags I found on sale. Not only am I going green I'm styling!

I made a commitment to use only reusable bags when I go out so I have been making sure I always have a bag with me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  3:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“There are many ways to dry herbs: solar using a screen, hanging by the stems, a dehydrator, the microwave or oven. The two methods I use are tying herbs in bunches and spreading the herbs out on a large screen, cover them with muslin and leave in the sun. Of course, this can only be done on warm sunny days.

I have made several of the herb blends in MaryJane’s Ideabook. There are some combinations, I would never have thought of putting together. It is interesting trying them in new ways.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  3:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“My oldest son’s favorite pie is Apple. He was lucky enough to get about two bushels of a variety of apples for free, so we did up a batch of apple pie filling. I enjoy having several bottles of tomatoes on hand for use in soups, sauces and casseroles.

Along with the spice blends and the tomatoes, we are able to make up some tasty meals. My family likes pickles, so I have tried a few refrigerator pickles (dill and bread & butter). These were easy to make. I’ve also been trying the fermenting process for different vegetables.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  3:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“My family likes dried apples and apricots. We use the dehydrator for these and do them almost every year. We tried different thicknesses and sizes before finding what works best for us.

This past year, my family and I "put up" the abundance of tomatoes in my garden. We were able to do tomato juice and whole tomatoes. It is always fulfilling to see the filled bottles on the shelf.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  4:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Sage, Lavender, Spearmint, Thyme, Rosemary are the herbs that I chose to use for the Herb beginner badge. Each of these herbs have medicinal values and are tasty when used in food preparation.

Lavender is the first one I used because I love the fragrance. I was able to get a culinary variety and have made lavender lemonade and used the buds for sleep pillows.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  4:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate level of Herbs, I chose to grow rosemary and spearmint. Spearmint made into a syrup and drizzled over a slice of toasted angel food cake is yummy! Rosemary is a great memory booster and it smells wonderful!

I have found each of them to be very useful as teas for medicinal use and when cooking. I’ve enjoyed having an herb garden, being able to cut fresh herbs as needed and drying them for later use is very beneficial.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  4:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“My herb garden now includes lavender, sage, thyme, oregano, mints, basil and rosemary. I am still learning all of the uses for herbs. I have also been trying to grow herbs inside with limited success. Don't get enough sunshine during the winter months.

At a girl’s night out, I made up bouquets of fresh herbs for several friends. We discussed the many uses of each one, from dream pillows to flavored honey. I love herbs and am enjoying learning about them and using new combinations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  5:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by owning six reusable bags for shopping. I HATE plastic bags! The reusable bags are stronger and can hold so much more. When someone does bring in a plastic bag, it is placed in the collection bin for recycling or reusing.

I committed to using reusable bags years ago and of course as time goes by and I get older, I get more obsessed with using my bags! When the removable plastic bottom finally wears out, I merely cut out a piece of cardboard to fit the bottom.

Actually, I have ten bags at the present time because I use a reusable bag for everything. I have certain ones (green) that I use for going to the farmers' market, a red one to bring home meats, the yellow one for dairy--you get the picture. After cleaning my bags, they are stored in a container in my car, ready for the next shopping trip!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  09:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“Types of canning include pressure, hot water bath, steam and oven. Steam canning is similar to hot water bath and even though it has been around for years, it was only approved in 2015 due to not enough data to prove safety. Oven processing is used for items like dried beans or flour.

The term "pH" is a measure of acidity; the lower its value, the more acidic the food. The acidity level in foods can be increased by adding lemon juice, citric acid, or vinegar. I won’t profess to really understand the ph of foods, but I do follow the guidelines of my local extension office and the national center for home food preservation.

The canning method used for commercial canning is called sterilization and is done to destroy all contaminating bacteria including their spores. I chose the following canned food to research:

Corn – cans are sterilized at 250 degrees for 4-6 minutes
Tomatoes - cans are sterilized. I was unable to find any information for how long.
Vegetable Soup – cans are put into a giant pressure cooker for 30 minutes

According to the USDA:

Canning is a way to store food for long periods of time. It is a method of preserving where food is placed in airtight, vacuum-sealed containers and heat processed at 250 °F (121 °C). This destroys microorganisms and inactivates enzymes. As the food cools, a vacuum seal is formed that prevents any new bacteria from getting in. Since the food in the container is commercially sterile, it does not spoil. Once the container is opened, however, bacteria can enter and begin growing in the food. Any unused portions must then be refrigerated in clean containers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I chose to can peaches and tomatoes using the water bath method. Peaches are one of my favorite fruits and tomatoes are used in many dinner dishes.

Small jars of peach preserves and jam were given to friends at Christmas time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Vicki Meeds (pearlsnjeans, #120) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“Green beans and carrots are the vegetables I have canned in the pressure canner. I use the recipes in the Ball Blue Book. I inherited by mother’s pressure canner a few years ago when she was sick and unable to can. She liked home canned green beans. That was the start of me canning on my own. Some people say they are afraid of the pressure canner. After watching my mother and helping her for years, I feel comfortable that if I am careful and follow directions, all will be okay.

Now I still can beans for dad and other family members. I feel so accomplished when the food is “put up” at the end of harvest season. I would like to try canning meat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have spent the last several trips to the store looking at the various packaging used and have realized that not all plastic is recyclable. I'm paying a lot more attention to not only what is inside the box, bottle, or can but what impact that packaging has on not only my family's health but also the impact on our planet.
Unless I have absolutely no choice I will buy only items that have been responsibly packaged.

For my Going Green beginner's badge I did a lot of reading and research on non toxic cleaners and health products and have made my own laundry detergent and will continue using my own instead of buying toxic detergent in a toxic bottle.

I didn't realize how easy it was to make laundry detergent! I felt such happiness over such a simple thing! Now I'm looking forward to making more household cleaning products.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  11:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My apartment complex has recently begun a recycling program so I have looked into what can and cannot be recycled in St. Louis County.
There are the usual suspects; boxes, cans and glass but I didn't realize that they will take window envelopes and cans/jars with the labels still on them. No need to spend a lot of time ripping up paper and soaking jars!

Another interesting thing is that leaving the lids on bottles and jars enables the lids to be recycled as well.

There are also the things we can't recycle. Plastic bags need to be recycled through the grocery store and hazardous waste needs to be recycled through the StL County Hazardous Waste Disposal Centers. This requires a fee and an appointment.

I've been more diligent about putting trash in the trash and recyclables in the recycling. Now that I know that things don't have to be washed, separated or torn apart to be recycled it's becoming much easier to actually do!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Dorothy Nootbaar (DoeDear, #7390) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I pulled everything out of the cabinets and ruthlessly went through it all! I got rid of almost all of the plastics and am using empty glass jars for storage.

So far so good!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  12:59:18 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“All taps inside and outside the house checked for leaks; none present. I thought I conserved water on a regular basis, but I found valuable information when researching this topic. My mother grew up during the depression years, so many of these ideas brought back memories of my childhood. For the last week, here is my list thus far:

• taken shorter showers and cut the water off while soaping down
• taken shallow baths every other day in place of a shower
• put a five-gallon plastic bucket in the tub while showering to catch water for other uses
• I cut the water off while brushing my teeth
• I quit flushing the toilet after every use
• I put the half gallon jug in the toilet tank to cut down on the water usage when flushing is necessary
• I vowed to run the dishwasher only when full (once this past week)
• I put five-gallon buckets out near the garden to catch the rainfall

I estimated I saved at least 20-25 gallons in a week. This sounds good but I think I can do better! I am already finding ways to reuse the gray water.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  2:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I reread my copy of Strunk and White's, The Elements of Style. I then wrote a two-page short story.

I wrote a two-page short story on the antics of my dog, Huey. Although I am an English major and could have critiqued my own paper, I had a former professor read my story. She found no errors and made no comments.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  3:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I learned about our atmosphere, atmospheric pressure, barometers, wind, and air masses. Fortunately, my 5th grade son was studying the same subject for his science class, so I had a study buddy.

This is an interesting subject. I have always loved watching the weather forecasts on the news, and now I enjoy understanding what is going on a little better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I learned about how clouds form and the different types. In my journal, I kept track of the daily cloud activity.

Living in Southern California, we usually don’t get too many cloudy days, but this year has been exceptionally different. I have seen mostly cumulus and stratus clouds. We have had a couple of storms that brought in the cumulonimbus clouds. I am much more aware of the weather around me now.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page