Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Debra Butland (debbiebee, #934) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I renewed my interest in crochet at the beginning of 2009 as a way to keep my hands out of the cookie jar!

I made three washcloths from a pattern on the Lion Brand website. Stitches were simple just single crochet, half-double crochet, and double crochet.

These were made from 100% cotton, which is very absorbent and washes easily. Very useful."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Debra Butland (debbiebee, #934) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I taught myself to knit last January, the same day that I joined Weight Watchers. My first project was a knitted scarf in garter stitch. I used a woolly yarn to hide my mistakes.

It is wearable and I have lost 20 lbs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Long (elisa in the woods , #1202) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I contacted a local farmer who advertises that he sells locally-raised, grassfed beef. He and I spoke at length on the telephone where he told me that most of the Florida cattle is sent to large corporate cattleyards, out of state, before slaughter. There they are often fattened up with steroids, corn, and other non-natural feeds. They have no room to roam, thus their quality of life is poor, and their stress levels are high, which create unhealthy levels of chemicals in their systems. This farmer's father-in-law is a practicing physician who began his farm because he began to link various cancers to this type of beef. He raises all the cattle he has locally, on grass, and slaughters/butchers locally, using no steroids, antibiotics, or other unnatural modes of feeding or raising. The cattle roam with plenty of space, are beautiful, and thus he feels he delivers a healthy product.

We purchased a 'half of beef' from this local farmer, a freezer, and became believers. The taste was amazingly different. There is literally NO fat; it is lean and delicious, and we feel that we are giving the cattle the dignity that they deserve, and regarding our bodies with educated and wise care.

We have told our families about our change, invited them for dinners, and they too are amazed and 'sold'. Two members of our families purchased along with us this year from this farmer (Lake Oriole Ranch), and say they will NEVER return to 'store-bought' beef. We know that we never will!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My husband and I are now raising 21 baby chicks. They are delightful little creatures. Our decision to do so was based upon be able to have farm fresh eggs...and of course for the enjoyment. We are now feeding them organic feed that we are preparing ourselves. This is much more difficult but rather fun being able to prepare their food.

They are two weeks old now and doing quite well. We have 21 "babies" and are having a blast."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Tina Dennis (dreamingofafarm, #1355) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"To earn my merit badge, I knitted a dish towel that measures about 11 inches square. I am new to knitting and to date have only made scarves or shawls of one type of stitch (knitting or purling). This dish towel is the first time I followed a pattern - and the pattern included a combination of knitting and purling as well as counting stitches. I am a slow knitter so it took me about 7 hours to complete this project over the last two days. For the last part of the criteria - teaching someone to knit - I was unsure who I was going to teach. However, my youngest son joined me in the living room yesterday and asked me to show him how to do what I was working on. I think he was curious about what I was spending my time on more than anything, but I appreciated him taking an interest. I showed him how to purl on 15 size needles - something big so it was easy and had him knit a small sample while I worked on the dishcloth.

This is the first badge I've applied for so I am very excited to have worked toward my goal of learning as many new farmgirl things as possible. Given that it is spring and warm now, I was happy to knit the dishcloth because it has an immediate practical use around the house. I think I just might knit a few more! Also, I really felt a sense of accomplishment knitting from a pattern - it makes me want to tackle harder knitting projects. My favorite part of earning this badge though was the unexpected interest my son took. I doubt he'll stick with knitting, but it meant the world to me that he was willing to try it simply because he wanted to take an interest in something new that I was learning."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  10:21:13 AM  Show Profile
April Johnson (Aprilshowers, #972) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Well, I made this Apron for my daughters upcoming birthday so I think this one qualifies for the beginner. It is a half-apron I made from an old pair of Levis. The fabric I used on the ties, belt and ruffle are leftovers from the one piece apron I already sent you. The lace was some old stuff I had leftover from an old project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  11:02:50 AM  Show Profile
April Johnson (Aprilshowers, #972) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"This large denim apron I made without a pattern for my son-in-law. I have chili pepper fabric for the borders and then I appliqued his initials on the front bib. The pockets are lined and there are no open edges any place."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Angelyn McLain (blueshelties, #906) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put the kit together with Vintage things that my Granny used in her sewing. She handed down the sewing box to me a couple of years ago and I inherited all of her sewing stuff when she died last year. I made my pin cushion on top of an old jar that was stuffed with old bobbins etc. There are all kinds of different needles and pins in the cushion. The scissors and buttons are both vintage and belonged to her as well. There was even and old pair of electric scissors that were probably from the 60's or 70's. They were the color of the old leisure suits that were sky blue! The best thing though was the watermelon seed I found in the old jar. I guess she had a snack one day while she was sewing and it fell in there. There is no telling how old it is:) I put a picture of Granny on the inside of the sewing basket. I included everything that was on the list of requirement to be in the box. I thought it turned out so good and it gave me great pleasure to make it. I've been sewing for years myself but it would not have been as much fun to gather my own stuff as it was to use hers. I worked on it for two days (the 17th and 18th of Feb). I also found a lot of old metal sewing pieces that change the stitches on your machine. We have certainly come a long way to the computerized machines we have today. Some days though I am not so sure technology is our friend!:)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  11:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Nasser (Joanne nasser, #1125) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made the four seasons wall hangings by paper piecing the blocks and putting them together by a pattern. I picked out my own colors and style. The ripping off of the paper backing is the messy part. I love to quilt, I have not machine pieced as much as I hand piece, but, I enjoyed this project.

I think they turned out better than I thought they would. I would not say expert, as I made some minor mistakes and they are not very noticable, but I know they are there."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Holly Barrett (echinaceabarr, #402) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I began my gratitude Journal March 1. As directed I listed one item a day I was thankful for, not repeating any items.

It has really helped me stay positive and uplifted. It is encouraging to remember I have so much to be thankful for and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. This is truly a habit I hope to keep. In MaryJane's make do style I made a cover for my notebook out of scraps of felt laying around the house."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Tina Dennis (dreamingofafarm, #1355) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have always been fascinated by horses and desperately wanted to take lessons. I am fortunate that I have a number of farms within driving distance of my home, but one stood out from the rest - partially because of the beautiful, white fence that stretches across its border for about a mile and mostly because of the stunning speckled gray horse I kept seeing along the fences edge when I drove by. No matter when I pass this farm, this horse is there at the fence even when the other horses are clustered together out in the field. This is a very regal looking horse, not terribly large but very muscular. I looked into breeds and thought that this horse looked like a quarter horse but wasn't sure. I also looked into the farm where the horse is boarded and found out they have lessons so I signed up for a series of four!

Well, tonight was my first lesson and as part of my time at the farm I got to look around at the horses. Almost every horse there was a quarter horse, except for the one I admired along the fence line. Turns out the horse is an Arabian and Quarter horse mix and her name is Antonia. That horse was even more beautiful close up than she was from afar. After my tour of the farm, I moved on to my lesson. I learned how to groom a horse, pick its hooves, put on the saddle, mount the horse, and hold the right position in the saddle for my safety as well as to best control the horse. I'm learning to ride English so the instructor spent a lot of time on how to control the reins/bridle and my positioning to guide the horse. I have to say, this was one of the most wonderful experiences I have ever had. I cannot wait until my next lesson!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"I found this extremely fun...so much so I am going to make chandeliers for all of my friends and family. I found some old rusty double loop wire that my mother had once used around her house and used mason jars for the candle holders.

It turned out lovely...I have received so many compliments on it...of course I have referred them all to MaryJane's Ideabook! I am so pleased with this project...thanks so much for the idea!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have found five wonderfully large heavy duty reusable bags (and one more medium size that I could not turn down because it was so cute). I have used them several times and am really enjoying it...I feel proud to walk into the store and know that I am not being wasteful any longer.

Turned out fantastic...will continue to do so and will try to convince friends and family likewise."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Buttons, buttons, buttons. It is amazing how many buttons are just lying around waiting to picked up and appreciated. Until I started working on this badge I never knew how many buttons I had and could find that were no longer in use...I even took a lovely button off a jacket of my grandmothers that she no longer wears...don't worry, I asked her first.

I now have a collection of buttons that ranges between 100 and 125...in only a week of searching! I am so pleased. Now I pick them all up and really study them wondering how old they are and imagining the outfit they once were a part of."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:22:26 PM  Show Profile
Joana Fedewa (TansyShy, #907) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I'm not very good at knitting yet, though I have known how to do it for some time. So I thought to practice, I would make a washcloth.

The washcloth took me several weeks to finish even though it was so small. In fact, I believe I started it about a month ago to date and finished it today.

I used blue yarn for the washcloth and vintage needles that I sorta borrowed from my mom when I was little and never gave back lol.

For one of my first few projects the wash cloth turned out well. Except when I had to cast off. I don't think that I did that right and need to work on it. I think I need to work on the stitching a bit too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"My husband and I began our first compost pile in September 2009. We have been putting anything that will decompose into it. Our goal was to have enough to start our first garden this spring, March 2010.

The compost pile has worked out great! When March came, we hauled our compost out and tilled it into our dirt for the garden. The dirt hadn't been worked in who knows how long. Today, I'm not sure that I didn't see a green onion from the compost sprouting in the garden! We continue to build the compost pile and are also using it in our flower beds, under the shrubbery, and coffee grounds on the growing lawn."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I crafted a sewing kit that is nice and portable.

This sewing kit includes straight pins, needles, thread in neutrals and red (I wear lots of red!), lightly sewn on buttons of various common colors, has small scissors tied in with a ribbon, and also has safety pins. The felt cover itself is a repurposed blank book cover that I had been saving for a rainy day. I sewed a little pocket into it to hold the scissors, and I embroidered my initials on the cover, too. I really like my new sewing kit and plan to tuck it into a suitcase to accompany me on my next adventure."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I hostessed a farmgirl style weekend houseparty for my family and some friends at which we did farmgirl style activities and I promoted MaryJane's Farm magazine and recipes and ideas from it. I was so fun and wonderful!!!

I had just a magnificent time! Our activities included 2 (low tech of course) game nights, cooking from scratch and eating together, going hiking and cross country skiing on the trails of my local state park, swapping recipes, attending church, trying the recipe for Cracklejack popcorn in the September issue of MJF, consulting with one another about our craft projects (quilting and crochet), and everyone played with our new baby quite a bit.
Topics of discussion included:
-Getting excited about horse trough gardening as described in the Makin'Hay issue. My husband got totally on board with this idea and my friends left determined to ask their landlord if he'll permit them to try it.
-Homemade cleaners, specifically all-purpose cleaner and laundry soap. I shared my version of the laundry soap recipe listed in the Green Housekeeping article of a recent MJF magazine.
-we also gabbed about: bread recipes, crochet, berry picking, canning, rabbits as pets, soaking dried beans, and cross country skiing as a wonderful family activity.
My guests even came with farmgirl style hostess gifts for me! My friend Julie had made a crocheted blanket for the baby, Ed brought jam he'd canned from berries they had foraged, and they gave me copies of recipes they thought I'd like. We all had a great time and left feeling inspired and edified - bolstered up by our visit, the good food, the outdoor air, the laughter shared in the games we'd played, and the gardening, canning and craft ideas we'd talked about. I think it was a big success. Also, they are excited about the MaryJane magazine now, too - they didn't know too much about it before. Here's a sort of still life / collage showcasing our activities and discussions from the house party."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I brought a homemade welcome card and a warm loaf of homemade bread to our new neighbors.

My family and I went over to greet our new neighbors and introduce ourselves, as well as give the bread. It was like a tiny little party on their doorstep -- we all had so much to talk about and if the baby hadn't been a little fussy toward the end of the discussion we could have talked for hours! It was great to meet new people and help make some positive connections in our neighborhood."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my cupboards (and freezer too!) and matched up containers with lids.

This turned out well, though I will admit to learning -- thanks to this activity -- that I am a bit of a kitchen nerd. I had things in fairly good order already, but this activity prompted me to start using one ceramic dish-with-a-missing-plastic-lid as a mini casserole dish instead of just allowing it to languish, orphaned and useless, in the lidded containers cupboard."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a bracelet out of buttons and wore it.

It made me happy to see my lovely pewter buttons that I bought long ago on a much-anticipated trip to Iceland finally get some use. It was a pleasure to string the buttons into a bracelet. I am really not a jewelery gal, but making this was fun."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer of The Vanishing Bees, planted some bee friendly flowers, and read The Secret Life of Bees.

It was a joy to re-read the book, which is so well written. I like the main character so much, Lily is easy to root for.
I have planted 3 pots of Forget-me-nots for our container garden, as I read that bees like blue flowers. So I hope that I will be doing my part to help out the tenuous bee situation, which is very sad."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Long (elisa in the woods, #1202) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Our neighbors began to share fresh eggs from their flock with us. Wow! What an amazing difference. After much research, we decided how we were going to build our coop and run, and ordered chicks from our local feed store.

The coop is done; the run able to be used; and we have now had our 7 chickens, 6 hens and 1 proud rooster, for two months. They are fed ONLY with organic feed and spend happy days scratching and learning to fly up to their perch. At night we house them safely in their coop. In about 3 months we should be getting our very own eggs! This has been so fun so far and it is amazing how fast the little balls of down are now 'real' little chickens."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Since I went organic and green over 8 years ago, I decided to help out a friend. One of my co-workers was moving into her own apartment (her first time on her own), so I got her a set of cleaners (window cleaner, shower spray, toilet scrub, orange floor cleaner, and a good all-purpose cleaner) and some re-usable cleaning cloths and stuck them in a carry-all similar to the ones used by cleaning ladies. I threw in some of my homemade soaps and a large bottle of organics lotion as well.

She loved the basket and loved the products. She said it was wonderful to not be made sick by cleaning her house. She said they made her house just as clean without all the funky smells. After she used my soap, she said that she didn't believe she could even go back to store bought now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv, #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a throw size quilt using warm colors to match my living room. I embellished the quilt with patches of different sorts and used various stitches on each as shown in the "Ideabook". I used scraps of fabric I had laying around and only had to purchase the backing and filling.

It turned out pretty nice. I still need to work on matching up corners and making sure all seams are the same width, but overall it is lovely."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page