Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:12:59 AM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought a penny-wise handbook and found several things I had around my house that made good cleaners.
Who knew that vinegar and baking soda cleaned EVERYTHING!!!!

Squeaky shiny clean, and no bad smells."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"A neighbor here in Virginia had to go to Washington state due to a family emergency, I cared for her school aged son and made dinner for her family during the week she was gone. I also went over to care for her dog while her husband was at work.

It felt very rewarding to help their lives stay in order while Carrie was gone I know how hard it is to leave and how hard it is to clean up after a trip but thankfully she wont have to!
This was a very rewarding badge!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Annika Laurea-Wood (Annika, #13) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I've read Lynn Coulter's book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds," several times and who could not be inspired to go heirloom with catalogs like Baker Creek.

I have ordered about half heirlooms and hope to have a bountiful garden this year.

Well, I haven't planted yet, I'm still waiting for my seed orders to arrive, but do I ever have garden fever. I can't wait for my own fresh vegetables. The first tomato from your own garden is heavenly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Linda Smith (connorsmommy1 , #1008) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"A friend has a little boy going through chemo treatment. Single mom with three kids. I have been helping her by staying overnight with her other kids when she's in the hospital with her son.

It has felt good to be helping, I wish it were happier circumstances, but there's something about giving selflessly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have 7 reusable bags that have been either purchased or given to me: 1 Trader Joe's insulated bag, 1 Oregon State University (supporting my daughter who is in her 3rd year), 1 horse bag (of course!), 1 bag with burgundy handles, 1 small black and white bag, 1 fabric bag from a vet clinic, and 1 fabric Shari's pie bag.
I keep them inside each other in the back seat of my car.

At first I would remember the bags after I was in the store. Now I remember them most times. Fred Meyer pays me 5 cents for every bag used. I feel better not having so many plastic bags that I just throw away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"As far as reasearch, I read MaryJane's Farm magazines and surf the Chat Room for information, ideas and recipes for cleaning.
I have been making and using my own laundry soap for several months with vinegar in the rinse cycle. I also made wool dryer balls from yarn spun by my mother-in-law from her own sheep.
I use Mrs. Meyers or Dr. Bronner products as needed elsewhere in my home.

I really like the powdered laundry soap I make myself. It smells lovely (I grate up Dr. Bronner's lavender) and a little goes a long way. I am surprized at how long a batch lasts. It gets my clothes clean, too!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Delicia Noble (delicia, #959) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the movie trailer. Very interesting and I really learned a lot from the trailer. Last year I had planted some lambs ear, bee balm and blackeyed susans and they are all starting to come forth with the warm weather. Just finished the book the Secret Life of Bees this morning. This book was wonderful maybe one of my favortie books that I have read.

Loved everything about earning this badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:23:08 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"The photo is an apron that is made from a pillowcase, napkins that were taken apart and trims that were removed from other articles of clothing.

I have made MANY aprons from pillowcases, cafe curtains and sheets.
Some of these projects were a bit tedious in taking them apart carefully, cutting accurately and being able to work around any areas that were not suitable for recycle, such as stains, tears, etc.

The end products have all turned out quite well and I have received many compliments on the quality of work and many comments like "it was formerly as what?"

I have sold many of these items at Farmers Market and Christmas Bazaars and given others for gifts.

Cost? Almost nothing!!
I'm such a scrounger and love to repurpose and recycle."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:35:02 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Nellie Make-do badge.

"These are some examples of pillow covers I made using every kind of taken apart pillow case, doilies, napkins, placemats, hankies, ribbon and lace of every description.

Everything had to be carefully taken apart, seams opened, navigation around areas not useable, such as stains, tears, etc.

Also took a kind size ecru colored sheet that had been made into a curtain with a built-in valance. It had Battenburg type lace inserts and edging all along one end.
I had to carefully take all the seams out, press it, cut it into sections highlighting the lace insert area, cut other sections of the lace to make pockets, cut strips from plain area of the sheet and put them all together to make aprons.

I have made dozens of these pillow covers in a variety of color themes. I have sold them at Farmers Markets and Craft fairs and given them as gifts.

Comments from customers and friends are that they are "EXQUISITE!", "BEAUTIFUL" and are amazed at the items I used to construct them.

From the sheet I was able to make 4 of the cutest, "French Maid" style aprons and have sold them all!!!

Because of the number of items that I have made the time involvement well surpasses 50 hours."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:45:06 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I started with an old leather covered wooden suitcase. Completely "gutted" it removing all the insides, and painting the outside a more pleasing "decorator" color.

Using recycled fabric from sheets and taken apart pillow cases, wood scraps from the wood pile and trims that were removed from other projects I covered poster paper with one fabric, covered the backing and the shelves made from the wood scraps with the other fabric,
glued it all inside the suitcase, riveted hangers onto the back, wrapped the handle with old ribbon and made myself a CUTE, VINTAGE knick-knack treasure shelfing that can be moved around.

And, because the lid to this suitcase was deep enough I was able to make it into a second unit in the same manner to use in my bathroom.

ADDITIONALLY: I acquired a second suitcase and did exactly the same with both bottom and lid for my daughter. She has one in her bathroom and one in her bedroom.

I really wanted some cute shelving . . . and decided to do this and am very pleased with the result.

My daughter was so impressed she asked me to do the same for her.

So, we used up a lot of supplies that needed to have a "new life".

MANY MANY COMPLIMENTS on these projects!!

These two projects required a considerable amount of time and took several days and would have well surpassed the required time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I have tried several of MaryJanes BAKEOVER recipes and love them!!!

So easy and so convenient and have introduced the recipes to my family and friends . . . much to their delight.

Ordered the Gluten Free Budged Mix and tried it in a breakfast BakeOver.

We have been very committed to eating healthy for all our lives. My mom raised a huge garden and was the BEST farmwife cook ever. Everything we ate came off our farm.

As an adult we raise a garden, raise our own beef, buy from our local producers things we don't produce ourselves.

The breakfast dish I created is listed in the "FARM KITCHEN" section "Apple-Walnut-Raisin Breakfast BakeOver" (bumped to the top today)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I have been backpacking, hiking and camping for 40+ years.

My husband taught me how to read a map, use a compass and to find my way by watching the direction of the sun.

I NEVER go anywhere without proper supplies. I carry a first aid kit, emergency clothes, shoes and outerwear in my car.

When I hike I carry EVERYTHING I need (and as listed in the application criteria) in my daypack. I have a map and ALWAYS leave clear description of my plans, trails, distances and where I will park my car with my husband or other family member.

I enjoy the mountains immensely and have never had any mishaps.

I also carry a plant book with me to identify flowers and other plants and have learned what they are and what purpose they could serve.

Our mountains are FULL of plants and flowers and it is a wonderful learning experience to identify and learn."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:14:11 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"Because my husband and I started backpacking many years ago it was our quest to find packable food items.

And because we still do hiking and camping we are still in need for good trail snacks.

I have made trail mix from a variety of recipss and have made granola bars packed with all sorts of nutrients for the trail.

I also know very well because I've done it dozens of times, how to prepare an entire meal over a campfire.

I know how to gather firewood, start a fire, maintain it for cooking and how to do the cooking without burning it or taking forever for it to cook.

We have a "cooking kit" in our camping gear to fit any situation: campfire cooking, campstove cooking (in the event campfires are banned, which can happen in the fire season).

We also know how to clean it up and leave it with little evidence that we were ever there!!!!

We love doing these activities, will continue them and have plans for this summer!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:20:25 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level 'Out There' Women badge.

"Unfortunately, we do not have a picture of the wall tent we used when our kids were small . . . those pictures were lost in a house fire in 1994.

We did put a wall tent together in our camping experiences while we lived in Arizona and when our children were small.

We had a small barrel stove, cots and brought along a playpen for our daughter to use since she was that age.

Cooked outside over the campfire.

Our kids grew up knowing how to camp!!!
Really camp!!!! No worries about the dirt floor, the campfire smoke/smell, the ash particles in our food!!

Our kids, now adults, still love to camp and we still do it.

On a camping trip my husband and I took in the last 2 years we did stay in an established campground. The host commented on our "real camping style" and how much he appreciated it!!!

Hopefully, we can get a vintage trailer as my husband and I get older and into retirement . . . and hit the road!!!!

We do still tent camp most of the time, but do have an old hard-side popup camper we use occasionally . . ."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Outstepping badge.

"I have taken volumes of photos of buildings from old abaondoned mines and cabins in our mountains. This area of Colorado is rich in mining history.

Some of my photos have been enlarged, framed and sold.

Many of them were lost in our house fire in July 1994.

When we go camping we PREFER to do it in the backcountry, out of established campgrounds and that is usually how we camp. Have done lots of backpacking in years past. But now we do considerable tent camping and are very skilled at it.

And, I learned many years ago when backpacking with my husband how to read a map, use a compass and use the sun as a directional guide, as well as read trail blazes.
Photography is one of my hobbies . . will continue to do that.

Camping is one of our passions and we will continue to do that as long as we are able to.
We do it REAL CAMP style and are very conscious about cleaning up and leaving no trace . . .absolultely no trash!!!

A PASSION!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:35:02 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Outstepping badge.

"Backpacking!!! Yes!! Been there, done that!!!!

My husband and I bought the equipment back in the '70s and took off on all sorts of backpacking trips in Arizona, hauling in water. We have backpacked miles and miles here in our corner of Colorado. We had a system about how we could carry the load and we carried it all on our 2 packs.

We did pack with and cook organic food.
And, when we left our camping area you would not know that we had been there.

Unfortunately we lost all of our equipment and photos of our backpack trips in our house fire in June 1994.

And, my husband has suffered a work related knee injury that does not allow for him to hike and carry a load.

These were such relaxing, pleasurable trips that took us WAY BACK into the mountains. To places where the scenery was ABSOLUTELY STUNNING and SPECTACULAR!!!!!!

We cherish those memories and would do it again if we were able.

But we learned how to enjoy the rugged backcountry of the mountains of Colorado."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:42:17 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Because my husband has been a homebuilder all of his life and is a woodturner, blacksmith and knifemaker we have always been on top of keeping all things in good working order.

Hinges, bike chains, exercise equipment, tools, etc. all get regular cleaning, oiling and maintenance.

We also have a garden with hand tools to maintain as well as a lawnmower, weedeater and tiller.

We make every effort possible be regular with maintenance, cleaning, winterizing, etc.

Makes it so much easier to use when the season starts back up again.

It's easier to have doors working properly so that there is less resistance, wear and tear and noise."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:53:07 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"In continuation of info for first application: because of my husband's building experience and the experience we both have after building two houses for ourselves, we are conscientious of maintenance and upkeep for the proper working order, appearance, etc. of doors, etc.

We have a nice, modest, and well maintained home. We recognize the importance of MAINTENANCE and taking care of small repairs before they become big repairs.

The same applies to all of our household appliances and equipmet, furniture, etc."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Lori Selby (nightengale , #1288) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"While I sat with my daughter this week as she recovered from oral surgery, I crocheted a number of dish cloths, a pan scrubber and a scarf. I learned to crochet years ago from my aunt and just love it!

Very nice. I will probably never buy another dishcloth again. Hand made cloths are so durable, abosrbant, and soft made from all cotton yarn. I always took them for granted when given to me as a gift in my earlier years. Now I realize just how much effort, love and self-suffiency went in to this project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Lori Selby (nightengale , #1288) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Okay, if I must admit it, I have a fetish for aprons. My mother just gave me a new (hand made by her) apron for my birthday, in fact. I made one this weekend also. It is from a smock style pattern I have by Indygo Junction. Cute! Red and yellow, so cheery for spring! I always need a pocket to put the chicken eggs in when I head out to visit the girls, so I added one on the front.

Adorable! I think this is one of my favorites."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Lori Selby (nightengale , #1288) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I was already an established sewer before joining the sisterhood, but I put together a sewing box to take with me to work. I am hand piecing some of my quilt blocks on my lunch hours. I also sewed a back pack style purse from a patriotic fabric and embellished it with buttons from my button jar. I can't wait to make a BakeOver TakeOver cover.

Wonderful! I enjoy the hands-free purse style and now know I can make a number of them from various fabrics so easily."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Debra Butland (debbiebee, #934) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I purchased a book "A is for Apron" first. Then I chose the style of apron that I wanted to make and took it to copy place to have it enlarged. I chose the fabric at Hobby Lobby along with the thread. I have sewn for a while so I knew the basics of sewing.

The apron came out beautifully! I had so much fun that I copied a number of other patterns and made a total of 10 aprons..some to keep and some to give away."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  3:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Debra Butland (debbiebee, #934) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"Made this apron from a book called "French General Home Sewn" by Kaari Meng. Fabulous book that I have made several items from! The butcher's apron is very long and I am only 5'4" so I had to shorten the pattern almost 3 inches at the waist to get it to fit. Washes beautifully in the 100% organic cotton that I used.

My sister liked this so much that I had to make one for her. The neckstraps have button holes to adjust for sizing. Covers the wearer completely since it wraps around the body and ties in the front with a generous pocket."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Debra Butland (debbiebee, #934) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"Made this cute apron from a Simplicity pattern. It was very easy using only straight stitches and some minimal gathering. The material is 100% cotton, which I washed before cutting.

Irons beautifully.

My mother loved this one so much that I gave it to her. We took a picture and that's the one she uses as her profile picture on Facebook."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  3:58:32 PM  Show Profile
Debra Butland (debbiebee, #934) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I sewed two linen tea towels from 100% linen, then trimmed them with ribbon and lace. I used an "Aunt Martha's" cross stitch iron on pattern for my initials and embroidered them with red thread.

I love these towels. A problem is that they are almost too good to use so I hang them on my stove handle."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page