Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  11:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Three branches of government are Executive, Legislative, Judicial.

Checks and balances keeps one branch of government from becoming too powerful.

The President is in charge of the executive branch.

Who makes the federal law? Congress.

Senate & House are two parts of U.S. Congress.

There are 100 U.S. Senators.

U.S. Senator Tim Kaine & U.S. Representative Scott Taylor.

Term of U.S. Senator is 6 years.

Term of U.S. Representative is 2 years.

Team of President is 4 years.

President is the Commander in Chief
President has the power to sign bills into laws.

I know more about government than I realized.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  11:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“The origin of stained glass is not certain but many believe it was first created by ancient Egyptians/Romans who excelled in making small colored glass objects. During the Gothic Period stained glass windows were used in Cathedrals.

Famous deceased stained glass artists are John LaFarge and Louis Comfort Tiffany created opalescent, confetti, drapery and ridged glass.

Living would be Tom Fruin famous for his water tower sculpture. My favorite is Cathry Shilling who makes glass that looks like fabric glasswork quilts.

I enjoyed looking at all the stained glass windows in my neighborhood churches and would like one day to take a class on stained glass.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  12:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Katie Thomas (bigsiskate #7578) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected 8 reusable bags. It turned out great! I use them for all of my shopping to reduce the amount of plastic bags that I bring home. I also use them around the house and to deliver eggs and others things to friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2018 :  09:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (MarleneL #7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made my four cheeses! I made 30 minute mozzarella, farmhouse cheddar, feta cheese, and neufchatel cheese.

All three of my cheeses turn out wonderful. I was able to use the mozzarella on a homemade veggie pizza the same night I made it. The feta cheese had to brine for a few days before I could use it, but it was great on salad and scrambled eggs when it was ready. The neufchatel cheese was wonderful on breads and made a great frosting. The farmhouse cheddar is curing on the counter for a few more days before I can put it in the cheese cave. (The cheese cave is just a converted dorm room refrigerator!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2018 :  09:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“For the expert level of this badge, our henhouse had a BakeOver TakeOver exchange. We swapped names and made a takeover for our sister and included 6 BakeOver Recipes that we had created ourselves.
I also embroidered a set of hot pads to use in my camp trailer.

I got the cutest takeover from Joyce Hein! She even knew that red gingham was my favorite! Here is the one that I sent to Shannon Hudson.

I wanted to include a photo of the hot pads that I embroidered as part of this badge. I thought I would keep them for my camp trailer but they might just end up staying in my kitchen!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2018 :  10:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“As I'm not sure yet what I want to do with my badges, I decided to embroider a set of dish towels.

I love Crabapple Hill patterns and I thought these fruit and vegetable designs were really cute!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2018 :  10:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“For the expert level of this badge, I embroidered 12 snowman and snowwomen blocks and made them into a Christmas wallhanging. I also embroidered a set of pillowcases for my guest room.

Here is a photo of both projects. One big thing that I learned... always make sure your thread is colorfast! I used some hand dyed floss for part of the embroidery and found out it runs when you wash out your marks!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  09:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have had a crochet book forever called "101 Crocheted Snowflakes". I decided I would start at #1 and work my way through the book to #101! I also taught myself a few new crochet stitches and tricks. I learned how to crochet around the front post, back post and how to make a magic circle when starting crocheting in the round.

This picture shows what I had left of the first 100 snowflakes that I made. I gave several to my daughter in law for her Christmas tree, sent 4 dozen to my cousin for ONE of her trees and several to my grand boys, who thought they were "ssoooo beautiful"! I went on and made about 30 more so I would have a few for myself!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  10:03:14 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“This project started out as a block challenge during 2017 on the Mary Jane chatroom. I decided to make more blocks on my own and make a quilt large enough for my guest room.

I had a pile of Christmas themed fabric that had been sitting in my closet for quite awhile and I decided to use it up. I had been wanting a Christmas quilt and the lighter blue went perfect with the room. It was also part of using up fabric that I had. I tried to use it all up which is why I added the piano key border and pieced the backing together when it got to be so large. I had it machine quilted by a friend because of the size and I absolutely loved the way it turned out!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I took a tour of our county museum when it was still housed in the old courthouse building. Because the building sold to a private party, the museum's contents had to be put into storage until they can find a permanent home, unfortunately.

It's always fun to see how people lived before us. When I saw the dentist tools, it made me appreciate the new dental technology! I also appreciate being able to turn my faucet on for fresh water and not have to haul it from town, 10 miles from my homestead. But I think there is a lot to be said for the simpler life, as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“My husband's great grandmother was a homesteader in our county. Her husband gifted her with the first camera in the county and she built her own darkroom in the upstairs of their home. She had the foresight to photograph the birth of the county and all of the happenings, plus day to day life on the farm and life as a freighter's wife. The negatives to all of these pictures were made on glass plates, about 8x10". She was extremely organized and detail oriented and documented everything in her photos. They have been preserved in the family and have been enjoyed not just by us but also county wide.

Two years ago, one of our historical society members took a large part of the glass negatives and had them digitized and made into a slide show. We (our family, her descendants) hosted a History Pub at our malt house on the farm and invited the rest of the Historical Society and public to attend. People got to see what life and farming were like over 100 years ago and what the farm was doing today.

Everyone had such a wonderful time! They are still talking about how much fun it was and we are hoping to host another this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“Since our county does not have any re-enactments of any kind, I decided to do some research and find the oldest, still standing building. I thought I knew which one it was but I was surprised to find that it was a church building that I had no idea was that old. I found a picture of the church in the State of Oregon Inventory of Historic Sites and Buildings.

The church was built in 1912 and was originally the Conservative Baptist Church. It is now housing the Madras Gospel Mission. Comparing the old photo and what it looks like today, it is almost exactly the original design. The one-over-one windows with transom panes have been replaced with vinyl windows, but exactly the same shape. The main entry through the bell tower has been altered a bit and an addition was added to the north side. The shiplap exterior is still being used. A new door has been added to the side. My husband said this was where you used to go into the basement. He remembers attending there with his grandma and how ringing the bell would almost lift you off the ground! One hundred five years old and still going strong!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have always loved spending time visiting with my older relatives and hearing their stories. I especially love hearing the wisdom they have gained with their age.

Our church has a small mission church on the local reservation that we attend. There is a small group that stays afterwards for coffee and visiting. A couple of years ago we started going to coffee and hanging out with our older members.

Sunday morning Mass and coffee has become one of the highlights of our week! These older couples have lived here most of their lives and we went to school with their kids. It is so great to have this church family and sit and hang out with them and enjoy being with them and especially their HUMOR!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“Over the past couple of years, my husband and I have continued to spend Sunday mornings with our little group after church. They are getting older and have started having health issues in this time.

When one gentleman's wife developed Alzheimer's, he decided that he needed to clean out their large home and get things organized. He didn't want his daughters to have to deal with it someday. I helped him on several occasions to take loads to the dumpster or take things that he wanted me to have.

This group also loves their sweets, even though some of them aren't supposed to be eating them! I started bringing coffee cake or cookies once a month or for special occasions to have with coffee.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“We had missed being with our Sunday morning group for the past couple of weeks because of the flu, not wanting to share it with the older members. Today we were able to catch up with them. In the past month, we have had one funeral and one of our ladies is probably going to be going to live in a facility for Alzheimer's patients.

We really love these people, they are part of our family. I got to visit with one of the daughters that I grew up with that is now taking care of her parents, the mom with Alzheimer's and her dad just had a stroke.

You think that these people are so strong and vital and it makes you realize how precious and fleeting life is. So thankful that we have all of these memories of time spent with them. I shared a bit today with my henhouse on our prayer board.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I used to have a library card years ago, but needed a new one. I was surprised by how much libraries have to offer now! Free Wifi, rotating local art displays, story time, classes, social services, inter-library loans, book clubs, digital downloads and meeting room availability. The one thing that I was REALLY excited about was being able to listen to old recorded radio programs interviewing interesting "who's who" people from back in the day.

Here is a picture of my TBR pile! I should say this is the first pile... I found a few more books in my other cabinet!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“Our Wildflower Farmgirls henhouse decided to challenge ourselves and work on this badge for the month of February. It's a good month to stay inside and catch up on our reading. I also joined the Farmgirl Book Club on Facebook.

Since the beginning of January, I have finished 5 books, 3 of them being on the bookclub reading list. They weren't necessarily what would've caught my eye to read, but I REALLY enjoyed all 3 of them! I am looking forward to the sequel for Better Dead, hopefully coming out soon. I also read "Present Over Perfect", which was a Christmas gift from my daughter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  12:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I ordered a Bakeover pan and started learning how to use it. I tried out several recipes on my family while I was learning.

The thing I love about this bakeover idea is how you can take little bits of leftovers from the fridge and turn it into a completely new meal that tastes great and is healthy for you...in no time at all!

This is one of my favorites is a breakfast bakeover with potatoes, eggs, ham and cheese.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“While working on my apple badge, I made up an apple dessert BakeOver, kind of like an apple crisp. I posted it online and shared the recipe.

Our online henhouse challenged ourselves to create new BakeOver recipes to complete our badge and posted photos and shared recipes online.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  12:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“Our henhouse decided to do a combination swap...we would make a BakeOver Takeover and include 6 recipes that we had made up ourselves using the bakeover pan.

We had to include 1 from each of the 4 categories: breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and then 2 more of our choosing. It was fun to get new ideas and share ours.

Here is a picture of the Bakeover Takeover that I made with the 6 recipes I sent to my sister.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  1:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“While I was organizing my own home pantry, I decided to pull some things together to donate to our local food pantry.

I collected items from other friends and took them down to the food pantry. The food pantry generally buys food in bulk and carries most of the same items week to week. I wanted to take some "fun food" items down so somebody could have a treat from the usual.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  1:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I had done some cake decorating years ago when my kids were small but definitely needed to brush up on my skills. I read Wilton's Basic Buttercream Skills. I also watched the videos by the same name and also Wilton's Baking Basics.

Wow! So many new, fun cake decorating gadgets! I think that I would still like to take a hands on cake decorating class, maybe through a store like Joann's, to really watch technique and get pointers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“After seeing so many new cool gadgets in the cake decorating videos, I used my Joann's coupon and stocked up on some fun things that I thought would make cake decorating easier, to add to the tips, bags, and supplies that I already owned.

Using my own buttercream recipe, I made this cake for our Easter dinner. It took 3 different tips.

I didn't get my ear color quite what I would like and thought the little lamb looked a bit homely. But even my grown son thought it was awesome! My grand-boys were so excited and proud of that cake! The youngest even asked for another lamb cake for Christmas!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“Ah... chocolate! What's not to love? I found a copy of The True History of Chocolate through Amazon and got it read. I remember in grade school learning about the Aztecs and their chocolate but didn't know to what extent chocolate played in their everyday lives. There really was a lot of interesting history in this book. I shared the book with one of my fellow sisters.

There is a great place that my husband and I like to stop north of Tri Cities, WA when we are headed to Montana. It is a big farmers market. They have an in-house chocolate kitchen and row upon row of chocolate delights! Truffles, fudge, flavored chocolate (I accidentally picked up a chocolate cayenne pepper almond and wondered why my mouth was on fire... haha!) I think our favorite is the dark chocolate!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“Growing and harvesting cocoa beans is a labor intensive ordeal. 70% of the world's cocoa is grown in 4 African countries: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroon. They call it the Cocoa Belt, 20° both north and south of the equator.

90% of the cocoa is grown on small family farms and provides a livelihood for 40-50 million farmers. It takes 3-4 years for the cacoa tree to flower. Out of the 10,000 possible blossoms, only 20-30 will pollinate to become pods. These pods are cut open with machetes to remove the 30-40 seeds inside. These seeds are fermented, dried, cleaned and packed to be exported to the north. Once there, the beans are crushed, roasted and ground. The result is cocoa liquor, which is used to manufacture chocolate or it's processed to make cocoa butter or cocoa powder. One of the most expensive chocolates today is from To'ak...a 50 gm bar with impressive packaging and sells for $260!

I had never tempered chocolate before but learned to do so by putting 70% of the chocolate that I was working with in a metal bowl over a pot full of simmering water, similar to a double boiler. Once this melted, I added the rest of my chocolate and allowed it to melt. I used this to dip my truffles.

The 2 new chocolate recipes that I tried were a white chocolate cranberry fudge and pots de creme...a big hit with my husband!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page