Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  10:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level of the Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“For this badge, we dehydrated tomatoes, apples, and herbs.
The dish I used was a soup using the zucchini from the freezer, tomatoes and herbs from the dehydrated. I made a stir fry dish using these items along with sprouts we made earlier that week.

Dehydrated food was unique in its flavor and the herbs retained their strength and smell. The stir fry was delicious and I plan on making other dishes using food I had put away for the winter.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  10:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level of the Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“There are two different canning methods. Water-bath and pressure canner. The acid level will determine the method used. This was my first year canning and I was successful in putting up our entire crops. I canned green beans, corn, pumpkin, tomatoes, pickles, relishes, vegetable soup, brandied apples, green leafy veggies (Collards, endive, beet tops, carrot tops, kale, etc.) We also dehydrated beef jerky for snacking.

The dish I made consisted of butternut squash from my freezer, collards from my pantry, tomato sauce also from my pantry, and herbs that I had dried with the dehydrator. I made a layer dish, baked it in the oven and, with the various flavors and textures, it came out pretty good and filling. I took the left overs and used our freeze dryer to preserve them for another meal.

Using a combination of various methods of putting food up for the winter creates unique flavors when blended together. The dish I made was a pot pie type of dish with the various levels of food. Baking it in the oven gave the flavors a chance to meld together and created a filling and satisfying dish. We really enjoyed the dish and I plan on trying other combinations in the future.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  10:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level of the Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I joined Arbor and received a tree identification book. My husband and I took the book and walked around our farm and located all the trees we have on our property.

The trees we have just outside our front door are Maple, pine, plum, and apple.

The tree book helped us to identify all the trees on our property. It will help if we ever need to harvest the trees for firewood in knowing which are soft and hard woods. Also I located the different pine trees and some of the uses they will have also. It was a fun walk around our property and we are still learning all the things it has to offer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level of the Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“Because I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer, we went through our diet choices and made a decision to eat healthier. We limited almost all meats, started eating fresh fruits and veggies and prepared them either steamed or roasted in the oven. We also purchased sprouts and a sprouter and used them in salads and stir fry dishes. All white sugar was eliminated from our diet, as well as the five whites. All processed food was eliminated and the only oils we used were either olive or coconut oils. We only bought fresh fruits and vegetables and using the example from Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" we purchased organic. Most of the vegetables came from the local Amish farmers and we started our own garden as well.

I felt so much better choosing to go the natural way to maintain a cancer free lifestyle after my surgery had removed the cancer. I went natural in lieu of chemo and radiation. I feel that the diet will help me in this battle and each year will be a blessing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level of the Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“We increased our organic food to 100%. We joined an CSA until our garden could provide us with a crop. Eliminating all sweeteners except honey (from a local farmer) and maple syrup (also from a local farmer). We knew these farmers and their practices and were comfortable with the products we bought from them.

Since I do not usually eat sweets, it was real easy to replace with apples. I have 10 apple trees so I would bake either an apple pie or have baked apples with a cinnamon crust. The blueberries were from a u-pick farmer that lived close to us.

The food tasted wonderful and our bodies felt younger and healthier. I felt more alive than when we ate processed food. While I was limited to what I could do since my surgery in March I had energy and would take walks around my farm and enjoy the garden we had planted. I made plans for the new year for expanding our garden and farm by adding animals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  09:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level of the Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“Well the cost of one meal was so little we chose to donate $20 per month to a food bank that catered to the elderly. It felt good to be able to give to those who struggle and as long as we are able to make this donation we will continue to do so.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level of the Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“With the new diet plan in place we went through our kitchen and removed all the food we would no longer eat. It was about 123 items. The amount was great because we had stocked up for the winter in case we were snowed in. The food bank we chose catered to the elderly and we felt that was the best place to donate all this food to.

Searching out the organization took some time. I dropped off the items on the day the people came in for their weekly supply. I was able to meet some of those who would benefit from our donation. It felt good knowing that all we dropped off would go to those who needed it most and not to the volunteer staff first.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  10:08:27 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level of the Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I am not fond of green leafy vegetables but have found they are good for me and I needed to add them to my diet. So the two items I added to my diet were collards and endive.

It took some getting used to and I found some neat ways of dressing them up to make them taste better. While I still do not find them to be something I love, I do enjoy them from time to time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  10:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level of the Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I have added beet and carrot tops, acorn squash, and Swiss chard. Again these things I have never tried before but was willing to add them to my diet to improve my health.

I was amazed at some of the flavors and enjoyed them more than I expected. Since I have started on this journey to eat a healthier diet I have added many varieties of vegetables and will continue to try at least one new thing each year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level of the Get It Together Merit Badge!

“The list we made resulted from a revamp of the things we had and needed replacing and buying new. We changed out all plastic, Teflon, and other items made of materials that were deemed dangerous because of cancer. We replaced all the plastic with glass, Teflon with cast iron cookware & bakeware and other items to stainless steel or wood. Then we made a list of things that we needed to complete the kitchen.

I love the fact that I no longer have to worry about the dangers of plastic and Teflon cookware. I love cooking with my cast iron cookware and even though it took a little getting used to I can not imagine using anything else. The things we needed have been purchased with the items that are perfectly safe.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:08:59 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level of the Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have no family other than my daughters. They are always calling me up for recipes and how to cook something. So I took to writing down the recipes they requested and started a recipe library that I could share with them.

My girls were always wanting information when it came to cooking. It was a lot of fun putting together my favorite recipes as well as their most requested one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level of the Recipes Merit Badge!

“Since my girls have been requesting recipes from me ever since they got married, I am putting together a recipe box for them as this years Christmas present. My husband built me wooden boxes and I have put a lot of recipes in there already.

The three people that I will be gifting this recipe box to are Heida and Linda my two daughters and Diane my cousin. I have enjoyed putting together all the recipes I use and have collected over the years especially those from the early 1900's. I hope they like their gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“The two methods of canning are water bath and pressure cooker. The water bath is used for high ph acid food, while the pressure cooker is used for low ph acid food.

I was given a jar of Christmas jelly, relish, and green beans. The jelly and relish were processed using the water bath and the green beans were processed with the pressure cooker.

We recently bought a farm and put in an acre garden. While we were waiting for the harvest, I purchased a Ball Home Preserving book, took a canning class, and watched a YouTube video on the process. The class afforded the opportunity of hands on using both the water bath and pressure cooker. After the class and watching the video and with my Ball book I was ready to put in my harvest. This was going to be my first time ever canning and I was a little scared.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“The items I canned using the water bath method were tomatoes, tomato sauce, brandied apples, relish and pickles. Using the Ball Home Preserving book I was able to follow the recipes and can the above items.

I shared some of the tomato sauce, brandied apples, and pickles with my cousin, Diane, and my neighbor, Candy. They both loved the products and said I did a good job for my first time.

It was scary when I started the canning process. By the time I completed the projects I felt more at ease. I relate the success of the canning process to the class I took in August and the video I watched. Having a book as a guideline really made the process easier. I loved watching my pantry fill up with my canning jars and was looking forward to canning more products to use for the winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Riccio (ladybek9756 #4932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“This time I was to use the pressure canner. The items I canned were green beans, pumpkin, corn, various types of greens and vegetable soup.

I shared some of the products again with my cousin Diane and neighbor Candy.

My first batch of green beans did not come out so well. I had tightened the lids too much and they buckled. Fixing the problem, I had no other problem and the process went smoothly. I worked out a routine and before I knew it my pantry was filling up and my husband had to build me another one. It was great watching the shelves fill up quickly and knowing that this food came from my garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:35:37 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (MarleneL #7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“It started with a leak under the sink. I had to clean out everything that was under the sink to dry out the floor and repair the leaking sink. When I realized just how many nasty chemicals I actually had under there, I was shocked and a bit ashamed of myself. Most of these chemicals will have to be taken to a disposal site.

This badge has been one that I started working on a few weeks ago by making my first green all purpose cleaner from vinegar and orange peels. Half water and half orange/vinegar in a spray bottle for the all purpose cleaner. I use salt and baking soda as a scrubbing cleaner for the bathroom. I have been making my own laundry soap for years now because, well, I'm cheap! I have a green three ring binder that I keep cleaner recipes, recycling ideas, and money saving ideas in.

My new cleaners work great! I infused orange peals in the vinegar for a few weeks before I started using it in my cleaner and my kitchen smells like oranges instead of an Easter Egg Hunt. The baking soda and salt scrub works just a good as the gritty cleanser that I was using before I made the switch. I am making a wood polish next using vinegar, olive oil and lemon essential oil!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  10:09:35 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“We calculated our monthly energy expenditures for one month. Our electric bill was $160, gas and diesel fuel (not including my husband's semi-truck that he uses for work) was $100, and we cut and burn our own wood which heats the water in our house, as well as our house.

We'd really like to try and get our electricity bill lower by using solar panels, but the investment right now is higher than what we would be saving so we are looking for alternatives. All our bulbs have been converted to energy saving bulbs, currently all our taps do have low pressure. We purchased a new oven and deep freezer so they were more energy efficient. We eat a lot of raw food, and I do all my baking on day, while the oven is hot, as well as bread making, for the entire week. If I am making a meal in the oven, I make extra so it serves more than one meal.

I do laundry every day with a young family living on the farm, so to cut back costs of the dryer, we use an indoor clothes line or outdoor, weather permitting. I do have a dryer, which I will use if absolutely necessary, but I would like to explore not having one, and just having a separate space to hang laundry indoors.

We weren't surprised by our monthly energy expenditures, but would enjoy getting the electricity bill down! We are looking into how to make a homemade solar panel that we can use part-time. We did convert to a solar panel electric panel for the animals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  10:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We calculated our household's water usage for an entire month. Interestingly, it averaged to 240 litres per week (not including our cows, goats, pigs or chickens water). The average amount in our area, after research, is 305 litres. We were happy we were under! By installing low-flush toilets and faucets, reduceage is 160 litres per week.

It's amazing how a high efficiency washing machine and low-flush toilets/faucets make a huge difference!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  1:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I posted a photo of my TBR on Facebook. I only have a few books (lol). I also have a library card, and boy do I know how to use it.

I have been known to read until 3 am. I read until my eyes are dry and glassy. I do love a good book. Believe it or not, my pile has gotten smaller.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, ‘Riting, and ‘Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I picked out three in three categories: fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. You know the rest (read them). “Nemesis” by Agatha Christie (fiction), “The Boys in the Boat” by Daniel James Brown (non-fiction), and “Teach Me To Fly” by Suzanne Grenell (poetry).

“Nemesis” belonged to my great-grandmother, and I adore Agatha Christie, so this was like visiting a friend.

“The Boys in the Boat” was about the University of Washington rowing team pre-WWII. It was riveting. I stayed up way past my bed-time reading. Tell people from the Northwest they can't do something, and they will do it just to prove you wrong.

“Teach Me To Fly” is very inspirational and thought provoking. It’s one of those books you read in between reading others, then think about what you read. Maya Angelou does the same thing to me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  10:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (LynneM #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have reusable shopping bags in my purse and in the backseat of my car, as well as cooler bags and bags to visit the wine shop! It doesn't matter how I get to the grocery store, farmers' market, or to shops, I'm ready with my totes.

The reusable bags work out great. They are so much stronger than the plastic bags, and they make me feel like I'm doing a small part in reducing my impact on the planet. I've even started to use my bags for trips to the library. No more carrying stacks of books!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (LynneM #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I thought that since we were under a winter advisory today in Northwestern PA, I would go through craft boxes, sewing table drawers, and old sewing baskets received from my mom and grandmothers to search for buttons. Definitely a good day to stay inside!

I grabbed a quart-sized canning jar and started collecting. By the time I was done gathering, I had amassed nearly 150 different kinds of buttons! None were purchased, unless you consider that some were in the little plastic bags that occasionally come attached to pants and shirts that you buy. Next step, a button necklace!

The canning jar is nearly full. I think I will try sorting the buttons by type, and put them into three or four smaller containers. It will be so convenient to have them all in one place.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  10:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I used my library card and checked out three books: fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

Fiction was “Never Coming Home” by Alison McGhee
Non-Fiction was “The Sisters Who Would Be Queen” by Leanda de Lisle
Poetry was “Horses Make A Landscape Look More Beautiful” by Alice Walker

I enjoyed reading both fiction and non-fiction. On poetry that was a little hard to read because there is so many different styles of poetry I wasn't sure what kind I would like since I'm not into poetry. I think I would try another book on poetry more traditional.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I got my library card when I was in high school and would spend many afternoons there doing homework assignments.

My library offers a wide range of activities for card holders. With my library card I'm able to log on to the computer, send out faxes, make copies, check out DVD's and audio books.

There are also community activities that the library offers: a book club that meets once a month, a summer/winter reading program, computer lab for help with computer problems, and (my favorite) a knitting club where you can learn to knit and meet other knitters.

I started my TBR pile, took a picture, and posted it on the Farmgirl Chatroom.

So far I have finished reading two of the books on my TBR pile. I also added one of the books from the MJ book club to my pile. Had to have the library order it for me. Can't wait to read it and join the online discussion.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  11:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I took government in school, so this was easy.

What is the supreme law of the land? The Constitution.

What does Constitution do? Set up government.

The first words of the Constitution are We the People.

The first 10 amendments of the Constitution are called The Bill of Rights.

Freedom of speech, right to bear arms are two freedoms listed in the first amendment.

The Declaration of Independence declared our independence from Great Britain.

Two rights in the Declaration of Independence are life, pursuit of happiness.

Freedom of religion is the right to practice any religion or no religion at all.

Economic system is capitalism.

What is the rule of law? That no one is above the law.

It was good to refresh myself on Government.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page