Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  09:56:43 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“For the last questions, I needed to do a bit more studying.

The President of the US vetoes bills. He can also choose to do nothing, neither sign nor veto, if the Congress is in session and it will become a law after 10 days.

The Supreme Court is in charge of the Judicial branch. They interpret the laws and the constitution. They also limit the powers of the other 2 branches. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the US. There are 9 justices that serve on the Supreme Court. Our current Chief Justice is the Honorable John G. Roberts.

Some powers that belong only to our federal government are the ability to print money, declare war, create an army and make treaties.

Some powers that belong only to the individual states are providing schooling and education, providing police protection, providing fire protection and issuing driver's licenses.

The 2 major political parties of the US are the Republican and Democratic parties. Paul Ryan is our current Speaker of the House and Oregon's governor is Kate Brown. Oregon's capital city is Salem.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This past summer I planted 5 different herbs in my garden area: cilantro, dill, basil, apple mint, and thyme.

The bees loved the apple mint--I left it in the garden to hopefully winter over so we can all enjoy it again this year. The basil was an abundant crop! I used a lot of it in homemade pasta sauces that I canned. The cilantro was used fresh. My dill was used in canning pickles and I also dried it, along with the thyme, to use in cooking.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“We have many root vegetables that grow well in our area: potatoes, radishes, carrots, beets, onions, rutabagas, parsnips, turnips and garlic. A lot of potatoes and garlic are grown here in our agricultural community.

These are also the same root vegetables that I found in our local grocery store, and also leeks. Leeks are something that I have never tried. I decided to pick some up and make a potato and leek soup. I don't think that any of the root vegetables that were available were local, except the potatoes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“This year I decided to grow 5 different root vegetables, some of them heirloom varieties. We had fresh radishes with several meals and carrots made into stew as well as eaten fresh. The Scarlet Nantes carrot variety was a really sweet, crisp, delicious carrot. I would definitely plant that one again.

We have several root vegetables that grow in our area--wild onion, garlic and camas roots are found in the eastern desert regions. Wild carrots can be found just about anywhere, along roadsides, fields, etc. Wild cow parsnips and radishes can be found in Oregon, just not on the dry side.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“In addition to the carrots and radishes, I also planted a plot of potatoes, a couple rows of yellow onions and Ruby Queen beets. I had a beautiful crop of onions and potatoes and a marginal crop of beets. Not my favorite vegetable but I planted them for my husband!

Potatoes are best stored in a cool, dry place with no sunlight, you don't want them turning green. I keep mine in a large bushel basket and a large box, both covered with either a lid or brown paper, to keep out light.

If you wait to harvest your root vegetables after a couple of dry days, your roots will be dry themselves. If you lay them in the sun for a couple of hours, the little root hairs will die off. Cut the tops close on most vegetables but you can leave an inch or two on the beets. Do not wash them. Wash just before preparing them to eat. Potatoes do not like to be stored next to onions. Onions can also be hung and kept off of the floor.

Vegetables can also be stored in layers of sawdust in a box or other container if you don't have an insulated area for storage. If your area can be kept at a reasonably cool, even temperature, they should store just fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“I made these 6 bean bags for my grandboys. I wanted them to look like a seed bag. I photocopied the farm's business card onto muslin and then appliqued them onto the front of the bags. On the back, I embroidered the numbers 1-6 and also a different shape onto each one.

I thought that they could be used for playing games, using numbers or shapes, or they could just haul them around with their farm equipment!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I made 2 different animals for my new granddaughter. The bunny is crocheted with a thick, squishy yarn. The teddy bear is knit with a fine weight cashmere yarn.

I also made a matching child and doll apron out of some fabric that I had been saving. The aprons are for the Expert badge but I have them pictured here together.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I had to get a little creative! I have 3 grandboys who do NOT like dolls, but LOVE all things Star Wars! I found 2 books with 24 different Star Wars characters and had them pick out their favorites for me to make.

They were very excited and would ask a couple times a week if I had any more people finished for them. After all was said and done, I finished 18. Here is a picture of them, minus one. I have a feeling he is safely tucked away somewhere under a bed!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  11:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I made this quilt from the "Farmgirl Vintage" quilt book. It was a block of the month program through one of our local quilt shops. It has 48, 6 inch blocks and a pieced border.

I did all of the machine quilting myself on this one and I'm really happy with how it turned out!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“Minerals are naturally occurring, inorganic solids with a definite chemical composition and a crystalline structure, formed by geological processes. They are pure, usually have some crystals, are pretty, have a definite shape and their color is usually uniform. They will not contain fossils. Some examples are gold, silver, quartz and feldspar.

Rocks, on the other hand, are aggregates of 1 or more minerals and may contain organic remains and mineraloids. They are not a single crystal, not usually as pretty, no definite shape, contain mixed colors and some contain fossils.

Rocks are mined to extract the minerals they contain. There are 3 types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. Igneous rocks are formed when molten lava solidifies after an eruption. These are usually rich in granite. Sedimentary rocks are formed when sediment is deposited out of the air, ice, wind, gravity or water flows, carrying the particles in suspension. The sediment is often formed when weathering and erosion break down a rock into loose material in an area. Sedimentary rocks usually contain shale, siltstone and sandstone. Metamorphic rocks are formed by the transformation of 1 rock type to another, for example, marble or slate.

It is said that each person will use over a million pounds of rock, minerals and metals in their lifetime. Aluminum is used for cans, cars, airplanes and appliances. Feldspar is used in glass, ceramics, enamelware and soaps. Silica is used as an anti-caking agent, in computer chips, glass, abrasives and water filtration processes.
This badge was very eye-opening for me. I had no idea of the many ways rocks and minerals are used in our everyday lives!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  12:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I tried to find a good resource for native trees to our area. Our local BLM did not have any good information. I found some good sets on Amazon, that contain laminated pocket guides for different states. Each set has tree and wildflower ID, wildlife and birds. The back of each guide has a map of different areas of the state for wildlife and bird viewing and also botanical sanctuaries. I like them because they're handy to pack with you and carry a lot of information in a small folder.

Walking around our 4 mile block, we have willow trees, hawthorn, lombardy poplar, elm, cottonwood and juniper trees. All of the trees are native to Oregon except the elm. The only tree native to our particular area is the juniper. The others were planted by homesteaders. They liked the poplar and cottonwood because they were fast growing and were good for wind breaks. I've also noticed wherever there was a homestead house at one time, you will usually find a poplar, lilac bushes and wild rose bushes, as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  12:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“Growing up, we always had pets: dogs, cats, horses, cows...

When my husband and I were first married, we got our first "child". A cute, little border collie puppy named "Skunk". Our 2 children grew up with her. Being a border collie, she wanted to herd things, and that is what she did! Every morning, she would herd the kids down to the corner to the bus stop and then come back home. She knew when the bus would be back in the afternoon and would be waiting for them and herd them home. We had her for 16 years.

A border collie was a good choice for us. She had a lot of room to run and things to herd. She was slick-haired so she didn't collect stickers and burrs like a cocker spaniel might. She was just the right size and loved to ride in the tractor or in the back of the pickup. She was so easy to take care of. The ONLY thing that she had trouble with was THUNDER! She would almost tear the door down trying to get into the house!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  12:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“Since our children are grown, we are now down to 1 outside cat and 3 horses. We take care of their animals when they need to be gone, cats, dogs, chickens and a pig! I enjoy taking care of the dogs and cats and feeding the chickens. The pet pig... the jury is still out on that one!

We have debated getting a new dog for quite awhile but have decided for now, we won't get one. Our cat is easy maintenance and not hard for one of the kids to feed when we are gone. There are times during the year when we are gone for 2-3 weeks at a time and we wouldn't want someone else to have to be responsible for our dog, if we were to have one. We wouldn't want to have to travel with a dog. And, just seeing how our daughter's dog sits in the window watching for their return while we keep her makes us not want to have another dog and have them sad while we are gone!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2018 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (LynneM #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I set up an area of my garage dedicated to recycling, and have been using it daily since the middle of February. I use a large plastic tote for paper and cardboard, and I have clear garbage bags for glass and plastic. I would like to use another tote for the glass and plastic, but the borough requires clear bags for non-paper items.

The system works well. Pick-up days are the second and last Wednesdays of the month. Plastic and glass containers do not have to be cleaned, but I like to rinse mine out regardless. I don't want to draw bugs or have things start to smell.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (LynneM #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“My family recipes have been added to a beautiful scrapbook-type recipe book received as a "thank you" gift for volunteering at a local nursing home. The recipes from my mom, aunts, and grandmothers have been shared with my nieces and a cousin who lives in New Mexico.

I was amazed at the various places some of these old recipes cropped up! I'm glad they are all centralized now. Sure will make it easier to find them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  09:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (LynneM #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“This is a pencil drawing copied from an old calendar picture. The light, gossamer wings did not show up very well in the photo.

I really enjoyed doing this picture. I always wanted to be an animator when I was young, but life got in the way! It was nice to draw again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  09:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (LynneM #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“The scarf is a pattern called "Old Shale," a variation of the feather and fan. It measures a bit over five feet long and about seven inches wide. I knit quite often at home, but I also take my projects to my book club meeting (where another reader usually brings her knitting,) and I spend a couple hours knitting with friends at our Scandinavian Culture Days on the first Saturday of each month.

I love the color and texture of my new scarf. The yarn was left over from the "hobo" mittens I made for my Beginners Knitting badge. Once again, Duffy consented to be my model!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2018 :  09:49:44 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I grew up on a farm and we had dogs and cats for pets all the time, usually more than one at the same time. The only time I have not owned a pet was when I was a college student, living in the dorm on campus. My husband and I had only been married a few months when we got our first puppy, which was soon followed by a second one.

It’s hard to pick a “favorite one” because they all were unique and I loved them all, but I might say that the dog I had before the current one and the cat before the current one. They lived with us a long time and both mysteriously disappeared. I believe the dog was stolen. The picture is of Skye, the cat that disappeared.

Our top choices for personal pets have been and will always be a dog and/or cat, usually one of each at the same time. We did have a pet llama for a time and we enjoyed him so much. He was a fun little friend, but he was killed by a mountain lion the summer of 2013.

There's nothing like growing up on a farm with all kinds of animals and pets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2018 :  10:04:16 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“We have taken care of familys' and friends' pets numerous times, usually cats and/or dogs, but even fish. Never even thought about asking for money for the services.

As previously mentioned we are dog and cat people. We like quiet, non-aggressive dogs that have a gentle mouth, don’t bark unless they are warning us of something, medium sized and who like to be outdoors as well. I like calico and/or tortoiseshell cats and they have to be cuddly, affectionate, friendly and purr a lot!

Our pets are not high maintenance but we do make sure they get their vaccinations, eat good food, get exercise, and receive lots of love and pets! We also have conversations with them.

The picture is of “Silky”, our current tortoiseshell cat. She is five years old, fun, funny, active and a cat we have enjoyed immensely. She is an indoor cat, but does get to go outside with a harness and long leash, I even take her for walks around the property!

I believe we are healthier for having pets in our lives and households!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2018 :  11:25:50 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“It’s not possible for me to volunteer to help at a shelter because of my health challenges. I have volunteered at a local horse rescue which included adopting a horse to help feed and supply needs.

Our pets have all come from the local shelter. I’m definitely a believer that shelter pets make the best pets and have not been disappointed. We have a great local shelter that is excellent. If and when I’m ready for another pet I’ll be looking there. The adoption fee includes shots, spay or neuter, initial vet examination and a chip.

The picture is of my Australian cattle dog, Bramble, who is the BEST dog. She’s also been able to work our cattle. She is such a sweetheart!

Oh, I’ve been committed to owning pets all my life. They have been the best friends and companions ever. Every single one of them, no matter the breed or characteristics have been a true joy to me!

I highly recommend having pets and I believe that if children are allowed to have pets, taught the responsibility of caring for them and learning how to be a loving pet owner, they are much happier and healthier.
I believe that elderly people also benefit from the companionship of a pet.
That's been our experience and it is very rewarding! Pics are posted on the Farmgirl Connection.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=85806

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  09:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I live in Illinois, moved here 6 years ago, and had only been back to Kansas once since then. My wife and I took a road trip to Kansas to visit my family on March 1st. My Grandpa died a year ago, and my Great Aunt died just recently. Mom and I spent a lot of time going through pictures and talking about all of the things my family has done, she is the oldest living blood relative I have. We had a great time looking at all of the old pictures, and she gave me all of the boxes of slides that had myself and my brother and sisters growing up, and all of the places we had lived and vacationed in, as we are Army brats. I am excited about turning on the old slide projector and checking them out. I plan on making a picture book for my family and sending them digital copies of the slides.

The talks with my mom about her parents and grandparents and various other relatives were great. I need to get a bulb for the projector, this is going to be awesome!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  09:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I have been a member of Ancestry.com for a few years now. It was pretty neat to do my DNA test and find out that I am 25% Scandanavian. I never knew that growing up. With the information I had already discovered along with more information I received from my mom in the beginner level of this badge, I was able to fill in a few more branches on our family tree.

I even found a cousin I didn't know about living in Maine. She has the distinction of being the only half Italian in our family. The rest of us are a bunch of blond haired blue eyed German Irish Scandanavians. We are now Facebook friends. Did I mention that this was cool? This has turned out pretty darn amazing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  09:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“While it wasn't a family reunion per se, this was the only time my family could get together, as my sister and her husband passed through Kansas from Alabama on the way to her husbands new duty station in California, and my wife and I planned our trip accordingly. My brother and his wife were unable to make it due to work, they also live in Cali, and my oldest niece is in college and could not get away to hang out with the rest of us. But between my sisters (the youngest lives in Kansas just a few blocks from mom), my mom, and myself had sort of a mini reunion, with my nieces and nephews running rampant around my moms house, which is my grandpas old house. We talked about all of the things we have discovered about our family tree.

I mentioned to them that I was on Ancestry.com and showed them the results of my DNA test. My mom was surprised. I have no Native American DNA, and she was told that her grandmother was a Sioux Indian. She also had no idea that there was Scandanavian ancestry in the mix. I explained to her that the Vikings had invaded Europe and Ireland, and that since the Irish came from my biological fathers side that maybe that's where we get our Norse blood. She still swears that she is only German and Native American, and thinks maybe I was switched at birth.

My mom refuses to get a DNA test to find out what percentage of nationalities she may be. She says she doesn't want her DNA floating around out there, someone might want to clone her. However I am trying to convince my sisters to do it because they may have different DNA percentages, and maybe even some Native American. Even close relatives such as sisters can have different DNA percentages as everyone only gets half of their parents genes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have had our farm almost 2 years. I was happy with just raising goats for awhile. Between them and my "real" job, I was kinda busy. And then...my wife fell in love with chickens. She had been hinting, and hinting, and not so subtly hinting, so one day while we were at the feed store picking up some grain for our goats, I said go pick your darn chickens. She happily complied and chose a dozen Rhode Island Red chicks, and raised them in her sewing room in an old dog kennel until they were big enough to go out to the chicken coop. She babied them like crazy, now they follow her everywhere.

Well, turns out I wanted chickens too after awhile, and I bought 4 Black Australorp hens and a rooster of the same from a friend from work. My rooster's name is Galavant. He's a handsome devil. We average about nine eggs a day now and keep a log book on how many we get each day. We have sold and shared many, many eggs, and I must say I had never had fresh chicken eggs before, but they are absolutely delicious.

Turned out... over easy, hard boiled, omelette, french toast, breakfast burrito, banana bread, scrambled--I would say it turned out yummy as all heck. Those eggs are great to cook with and the chickens are fun to watch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“It was the first sunny warm day of the year, sandwiched between 2 cold rainy nasty days, and it happened to be a Thursday, which is my Saturday due to my "real job" schedule. Thus I was off work that day, as was my amazing farmers wife, who gets every other Thursday off. I had a lot of plans for that day, nothing relaxing, just a day choc full of catching up on housework, doing laundry, steam cleaning the carpet, etc. It's what I do on Thursdays. But my wife, she had other plans, and said that since it was so nice out that we should go fishing. Fishing? Heck yeah! So we grabbed our poles and our tackle box and hit our very own personal quarter acre pond stocked with catfish and bass. The fish weren't biting. Maybe a few nibbles, but nothing concrete.

I finished my one beer and worked on some of my other fishing poles that needed new line, then it hit me. Eureka! I exclaimed. I can be working on my MaryJane Merit Badge for fishing! All I have to do is work on my knots while I sit here and wait for a bite! I cut some line, grabbed some hooks, and began tying my way to a merit badge whilst waiting for a fish to bite. I knew the palomar and the barrel knot, I had been using them for years, but I had to look up the clinch, the turtle, and the double surgeons loop. The turtle is now my favorite, I find it fun to tie. We sat and talked while I sat and tied, and thus I completed the beginner's fishing merit badge, but alas, caught no fish on that perfect sunny day off. Though they were out there, we watched them jump.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page