Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  09:54:09 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have had a library card for our local library for a long time and do know what the services and resources are that are available there. I’ve used my card for books in the local library and several times on interlibrary loan. I have also donated a lot of books to the library, especially arts and crafts books.

We still have a lot of books and there are several on my list for reading but I’ve taken a photo of the ones that have priority. My Bible is on top because it is part of my daily life, my go-to-for-everything book. I’ve read through it many times but I will NEVER put it aside. It will remain part of my daily reading.

I love to read and derive great pleasure out of it. I just wish I had more time for it and that my vision wasn't going the way of aging. A picture of my TBR is included in the “Merit Badge Chit Chat” thread.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  09:55:14 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“It’s been a long time since I knitted anything for my beginner level badge, but I decided to dig out my tools and supplies and give it a go for my intermediate level.

I had purchased some yarn quite some time ago with some plans in mind but that all got put way on the back burner for a while.

I used a tan “tweed-y” look and multi-color in green and brown yarn (2 different skeins) for some projects of a few potholders and couple of caps. Took a while to get back in the “groove” of things but things came out quite nicely and my hubby said he was impressed.

My projects took approximately 25 hours to complete and I did most of it in the presence of my hubby who actually was quite interested in what I was doing and did have plans for what is next.

It’s been rather fun doing this and is something that I can do when I need to rest. It’s hard to take on a knitting project when it’s garden or summer activities season. I’ve started my next project but we’ll see if it gets done before needing to be outside or whether it will have to wait till next winter.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  09:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I wanted to open a door sign business. I made a vision, mission and start up costs to open Red Porch Collections. I then set it aside and thought about when it will open.

It turned out well while I was thinking about taking the plunge. I was able to make a few signs and learn more about what it would take.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I applied for my business number with the state of Indiana . My business cards were ordered and delivered. Both were done mid April. These tasks were easy and quick.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I worked all spring and summer up make items to sell at local fall craft fairs and pop up markets. I also had a few online sales.

This turned out well I posted pictures on MaryJanesFarm marketplace and "What are you working on" thread. I also opened a Facebook page called red porch collections.
At the fall crafts and pop up markets sales were good. Looking forward to a few spring fairs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2018 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“Since I live in an area where there are no farm sisters, I chose to help a dear friend who broke her foot and was on bed rest.

I went to my dear friend's Rose's house twice a week. While I was there I helped her get in the shower, made her family meals for a few days, and shared a meal with Rose. I cleaned the house, did laundry. Rose and I just visited about life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2018 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“When our friends at church lost their baby, I went to their home. I prayed with the family. I picked up around the house. I later returned that evening with a meal. I took evening meals for 2 weeks.

I feel it turned out well as our friendship grew through a difficult time. Each of us became a little closer to God and learned more about his word.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  10:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers to Eaters Merit Badge!

“For the last 2 summers I have helped plant the community garden at our church. It turned out great and the garden has had a great yield of veggies, fruit and herbs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Connecting Growers to Eaters Merit Badge!

“The purpose of the garden at the church is to share with others in the community. I would go with the other ladies of the church and pick the items in the garden. We then took them to the pantry at the church, would use them in the meals for the Thursday night evening service. We took items to the church resale shop to give away and we also donated to a food pantry in the next town. I can't wait work at the garden.

I feel our garden worked out perfect as many were blessed by the yields.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  10:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Connecting Growers to Eaters Merit Badge!

“We plant the garden and we use the yields in the community on a daily bases. At the pantry, resale shop, church dinners, at church on Sunday as well as donating to another local pantry. We ask people in the church to donate items for the garden such as seeds, plants, shovels, mulch, ect. The church supplies the water for watering.

I feel it is working out well. I can't wait for this growing season to start. We are in the process of asking for this years donations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  09:40:32 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have a library card and know and use the services at the library on a regular bases. We had a new neighbor move in up the road. I took her to the library and helped her get her library card and talked with her all about what the library has to offer. We attended an art class together.

I think it turned out well. I took time out of my crazy work and school schedule to read books. I enjoyed the books I read.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  09:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“Since we moved to southern Indiana all of my friends live in northern Indiana. We decided to have a reading group in January and February. We called each other every week to discuss what we read. At the end of February my friends decided to surprise me for my birthday. We then traded homemade bookmarks, bags, tea cups, and tea.

I felt this was hard to get done but it was fun. I am working, going to school, and taking care of the farm so time is not always on my side.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I'd say Sis would be the book club winner. She read 10 books during our book club months. At the party at my house we enjoyed tea, cookies, fruit salad, and chicken salad. In October of 2017 I helped to finish building and setting up a little library at our home town church. This little library serves many in the community. The people who attend the church, the pantry families, and the preschool children. I have donated 45 books and will be donating another 25 the end of March when we travel home.

I feel this has been a fun and busy badge. I feel for me it's a way to connect to the community back home. The downside is that I don't have a lot of time for reading since I'm in school.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  09:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I completed this badge when taking music appreciation course from Vincennes University. I really enjoyed this course. I learned a lot about music and the types and the sounds of each genre of music. For a test I had to identify the elements of harmony, melody, and rhythm.

I earned 3 credit hours for my class. I received an A in this class. I enjoyed learning more about music.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“For my music class I had to write about several classical composers. My favorite composer was Wolfgang Amadues Mozart. I very much enjoy Mozart's music.

My favorite is John Cougar Mellencamp. John lives in Bloomington, Indiana about hour and 15 minutes from my house on a 65 acre farm. John is good friends with the brother of my friend from college. I have had the pleasure to meet John and his family. They are very nice people.

I compared and contrasted their music. I think this worked out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  10:03:48 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruthie218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“As part of my class we had to attend a professional musical. So we went to Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana to see White Christmas.

I also attend a choir concert at the local high school. To see a dear friend's son sing.

We attend open mic night a local coffee shop once a month and my friend Meagan's boys sing Christian music. It's a great time. I think things for this badge worked out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Katie Thomas (#7578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I have gone through all our cabinets and organized containers to reduce clutter and repurpose old Tupperware.

It turned out great. I have more room to work and use old containers to feed animals: chickens, goats, and dogs. Also good for collecting eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“Since being diagnosed as pre-diabetic I knew I had to lose some weight. I can't do it through exercise as I need a total knee replacement so it all has to be done through diet. I think I am more conscious of what I buy at the store, more organic and less junk. I also joined Weight Watchers in January.

As a result I have lost 15 pounds, but still have a ways to go. But the doc said for each pound I lose it's 4 less pounds of pressure on my knees when I walk. So I'll keep working on it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  09:41:07 AM  Show Profile
Paula Black (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went online and found that the company that picks up the trash for our city had a great website detailing what can be recycled, what goes in the garbage, what has to go to the hazardous recycling and what other companies will recycle things like appliances and electronics.

It was very helpful--it turns out that we can put a lot more things in our curbside recycling than we previously thought!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  09:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have been sewing little baby quilts. The one I am submitting took me about 3-4 hours from start to finish. It turned out alright. I had to modify the bottom fat squares but it worked.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  09:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I researched birds of Southern Illinois and there's a heck of a lot of birds out here. I will just name a few as I have 2 notebook pages full of them now. White breasted nuthatch, blue jay, black-capped chickadees, downy woodpecker, American robins, mourning doves, house finches, ruby-throated hummingbird, house wren, northern cardinal (which is the Illinois state bird), cedar waxwings, common grackle, American goldfinch, dark-eyed junco, white-throated sparrow, red-tailed hawk, coopers hawk, northern harrier, rough-legged hawk, broad-winged hawk, red-shouldered hawk, barn owl, barred owl, screech owl, great horned owl, killdeer (found one of those last year nesting in rocks by my driveway, pretty neat), bald eagle, golden eagle, peregrine falcon (saw one of those today on the way to town), rose-breasted grosbeak... I could go on for quite some time.

And I haven't even began with the ducks and the many species of woodpecker. However, I read enough about them and studied their pictures, I am confident that I will be able to name quite a few when I see them.

The ones I would really like to see are the American goldfinch, yellow-headed blackbird, bufflehead duck, green-winged teal duck (the smallest duck in North America), American white pelican, trumpeter swan, yellow-bellied sap sucker, ring-necked pheasant, bald eagle, wild turkey, rose-breasted grosbeak, snowy owl, and the beautiful indigo bunting.

I started my bird research a couple of days ago, and since then have been excitedly pointing out birds, even when there's no one to point them out to except for my goats. I am going to buy a bird book and some good binoculars because this is a lot of fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  09:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I researched a plethora of herbs and came up with 5 that I thought were pretty interesting and then a surprise number 6 that I hadn't really thought of as a herb.

1: CINNAMON-Cinnamon zeylanicum, C.cassia medicinal uses: aromatherapy, athletes foot, ringworm, colds, diabetes, digestion, flu, insect repellent, nausea. The problem with using cinnamon from the store is that it has gotten old while sitting on the shelf and is no longer strong enough for medicinal purposes. I need to grow a cinnamon tree. The parts used are the dried bark and essential oils.

2: DANDELION-Taraxcum officinale. Common names: dandelion root, priest's crown, swine's snout. Medicinal uses: bronchitis, bruises, sprains, colds, cholesterol, diabetes, digestion, PMS, warts. Parts used: roots, flowers, leaves.

3: LAVENDER-Lavandula augustfolia, L. officinalis. Medicinal uses: acne, aromatherapy, burns, colds, cuts and wounds, depression, migraines, insect bites. Parts used: flowers, leaves, and stems

4: ST. JOHNS WORT-Hypericum perforatum Medicinal uses: anxiety, aromatherapy, arthritis, burns, congestion, depression, flu, cold sores.

5)VALERIAN ROOT-Valeriana officinalis. Medicinal uses: cardiovascular, cough, cramps, headache. Parts used: roots.

Now for the one I never thought of as a herb: CHIA SEEDS, salvia hispanica. Chia seeds are chock full of omega 3 oils, calcium, niacin, and iron. A super food in a tiny package. And I use it every morning in my apple cider vinegar, honey, cinnamon, lemon juice concoction to start my day.

It was pretty neat to find out that the same seed used in Chia pets is an herb. I've been using it for months and never gave the little seed much thought.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  09:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I weighed 185 lbs when I began this on the 1st of February. At 5'7 it didn't look too bad on me, though I had a bit of a belly. A lot of the weight may be muscle due to farm work and my "real" job as security. My goal is to eventually get to the weight I was before I got married, 145 lbs. My wife and I set up a gym in the spare bedroom with a weight bench, a speed bag, stretch bands and barbells. And probably the most important item, a dvd player. I began my journey to lose weight on February 1st, and I am down to 175 lbs. I also have given up soda and fast food. It's not so hard to stick to working out every day once you get started, and it's a great way to begin a day.

It's turning out quite well, working out has benefited me in multiple ways. Sometimes I even hit my little gym after work if it has been a particularly stressful day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  09:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“I learned how to operate a chainsaw in the Navy as a Seabee, Heavy Equipment Operator. They didn't give me the option of being nervous. After 8 amazing years of serving my country I got out and obtained a job at Kansas State University as grounds maintenance and worked my way up to Plant Science Technician where they sent me to arbor classes to learn proper tree trimming techniques and tree removal. These are chain saw heavy jobs, especially the year that a tornado whipped through campus. With all of that experience and now living on a farm I regret to say I don't own a chainsaw as of yet. The trees I have needed to remove I cut down by hand, but I will have a chainsaw sometime this year. The one I want is an MS 150 C-E, gas powered 6.1lb Stihl. It comes with the Stihl Easy2Start system. I'm a big fan of Stihl equipment. The price is $550, and I can get it at ACE Hardware. As far as accessories I already have proper gloves, boots, safety glasses, hearing protection, and a gas can. I will get my chaps, bar oil and engine oil once I purchase my chain saw.

I have been wanting to get a chainsaw for awhile, I hadn't done the research on types before now, usually when I buy equipment I just buy what strikes my fancy at the time, but I am super excited about this chainsaw. Just gotta save up for it, then firewood, here I come. Though I do like using my ax.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  09:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Maggie Lough (#7579) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“There are no chainsaw safety courses in my area right now so I watched the video on you tube. It mentioned very important things that I had learned while in the Navy operating chainsaws and at K-State operating chainsaws. Safty is the number one most important factor to take into consideration. I liked their emphasis on safety gear, and how they mentioned knowing where the tree would fall and having a good escape route.

It's not a bad video, and I can see how it would bolster the confidence of someone who has never used a chainsaw before.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page