Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“My personal style when it comes to jewelry, is very simple and non elaborate. I have a decent sized plastic container for all my jewelry supplies, with baby food jars in it to separate some of the items. I also have a case that it "suppose" to be for embroidery floss, that I have some of my beads separated in.

With everything relatively organized, I'm looking forward to starting my journey into jewelry making. I think it's something that my older two daughters will enjoy doing with me!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“In our area, there aren't many trees! In our yard we have a lilac tree, which from what I can tell, is not native here. In our one neighbor's yard is a Plains Cottonwood, which is native, as well as being the state's tree. Our other neighbor has Ponderosa Pines growing, which are native to the area.

I've never been one that's been able to identify trees. I've found working on this badge to be truly helpful. It's given me the interest and confidence to continue researching the trees in the area and to see which ones we want to plant on our property.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“There are two parts to achieving the intermediate level for this badge. The first part centers around windbreaks. Windbreaks are planted by densely planting trees and shrubs, in multiple carefully spaced rows. One of the greatest benefits of a windbreak for us would be to block some of the accumulating snow.

In our local park, different types of trees can be found. One of the most common is crabapple trees. I don't think these are native to here, however. Another tree found is the Narrowleaf Cottonwood. These are native close by, but not actually here. A third tree is the Hackberry. It's not native to our area.

I was surprised to see that the trees in our parks seem to be transplants rather than natives. I understand that our area does not have many native trees, but I was still expecting to see them over transplanted ones.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“Woods are not something found in the Gillette area! Due to this, we went over to the Black Hills of SD to check out the trees. We were able to identify Quaking Aspen, Ponderosa Pine, Bur Oak, Black Elder, and Black Hills Spruce. One thing that always amazes me in the woods is how everything is covered... there are always fallen leaves, grasses, and fallen branches on the ground.

Amazingly, we didn't find much litter on our outing! We only filled up one "walmart bag" about halfway with litter!

I enjoyed learning about the trees over these months. Our family is hoping to learn more about the trees in this area, as well as determine which ones would be best to grow on our own property.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Geography Merit Badge!

“Due to being a homeschooling mom, we have maps and atlases in our school area. Geography is one of our favorite classes! We're working on finishing up some countries in Europe right now. Italy will continue to be our focus for January, and then we're moving on to France.

Cartography is the art of mapmaking. It originated as cave paintings! The earliest known maps are actually of the stars.

I love learning geography! I especially find it fascinating to learn about the country through their cuisine!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Geography Merit Badge!

“I thoroughly enjoy writing penpals. One of my penpals live in Germany. It's here, to visit her, that I would like to take an overseas vacation. Heike has said I could stay with her and her family. I would really like to go tour Neuschwanstein Castle, Bradenburg Gate, and the Black Forest. I'd also like to spend a couple nights in the Igloo Village!

Going overseas is a dream of mine! I'd love to tour different countries and taste their authentic cuisine, while getting a feel for their culture. Hubby and I actually hope to do some traveling after the children are grown and he's retired.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“Being a mom of 8 children, getting away and being unplugged is not generally an option. In September, however, I was able to get away for a much needed respite. It was a time for me to become rooted in Christ. I NEEDED that time! Being away from my children was difficult, but I knew that they were home with their daddy, perfectly safe.

I think sometimes we just need to unplug. There are so many distractions and so much noise! When we moved to Wyoming, the quiet is one thing that absolutely enthralled us... but the computer, the phone, the radio, etc are still going. I LOVE the quiet! As an introvert, there are times I need a daily down time... but the time away was a true "reset button" for me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“There are three parts to fulfilling the requirements of the beginner badge. The first was to go day hiking and visit three places I had never been before. I was able to fulfill this requirement the end of March 2017.

The second requirement was to identify in the wild our state's bird, tree and flower, as well as take pictures of them. This was much more difficult, as we just moved here the end of 2016. Wyoming's state bird is the western meadowlark. This beautiful bird is one we delight in seeing in our front yard! The state tree is the Plains Cottonwood. Our neighbor actually has these trees growing in their yard, so I was able to take a picture without any issue. The flower, however, is the Wyoming Indian Paintbrush. This took quite a bit to find.

The third requirement was to learn to make a safe campfire. The safety portion of doing this is HUGE here in our area, as fires are a real problem in our area! I've found that in order for me to feel safe is to basically dig a trench around it so that it is less likely to catch on fire.

I thoroughly enjoyed working on this badge. I think I enjoyed learning to identify Wyoming's state flower, tree, and bird the most!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“My favorite pet to this date was our Dutch Shepherd, Stephie. She was an "SPCA special" but one of the most mild-mannered well behaved dogs we have ever had! We got her as a puppy shortly after we were married, back in 2002. Sadly, when she was 13 years old, we had to put her down due to aggressive cancer that took away her ability to see, walk, and live a "normal" life.

After our children are grown and have homes of their own, I would love to own a Snowshoe cat.

Working on this badge allowed me to reminisce about the past and dream about the future. Snowshoe cats do not do as well with more than an individual or couple.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“Car maintenance isn't something I learned a lot about growing up. My father is very skilled in auto mechanics, as is my husband, so all through my life, they have cared for my vehicles. When we were in the military, my husband would always make sure the cars were good to go before he deployed and then took care of them again when he got home. Yes, I was and am spoiled. I decided it was time for me to learn however. Keeping track of mileage is one thing I've always kept track of, as a drop in mpg signaled an issue.

Thankfully, learning the various liquids wasn't too difficult. I think it's important that all of my children, both genders learn these simple checks for the upkeep of their future vehicles.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“Oil changes have been kinda scary to me. Thankfully, my suburban wasn't difficult at all. The hardest part is getting the bolt off to begin with! The emptying of the oil and the changing of the filter isn't difficult at all. Putting the bolt back on, filling it with fresh oil, and resetting it isn't difficult either. Recycling the wasted oil is as easy as bringing it to Autozone in town!

I'm so thankful I have a vehicle that is relatively easy for oil changes! I now don't need to burden my husband every time it needs changed!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Due to constantly having young children and babies, I do not wear necklaces or bracelets very often. For this reason, I dragged my feet on this badge for quite some time. Then I realized I could make an anklet. Little ones cannot pull and break an anklet nearly as easily as they could a necklace or bracelet! So that's what I set out to do. I must admit, I love the outcome! My anklet is one of my favorite accessories during the warmer months when I'm wearing my sandals! It dresses them up in a huge way!

Overall, I am extremely pleased of my anklet and love that I made it with something as simple as buttons!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Buttons. Have you ever considered the history of buttons? I certainly had not until I was looking to fulfill the requirements for this badge!!!

There are so many types of buttons... China buttons used from 1840s to 1930s. Vegetable Ivory buttons, popular from the 1870s to the 1920s. Celluloid buttons which were popular in the 1900s to the 1920s. Bakelite Buttons that were popular from the 1920s to the 1940s. Lucite buttons popular from the 1930s to the 1960s. And so many more like the mother of pearl, metal, rubber, and fabric covered.

I own multiple types of vintage buttons... metal buttons, wooden buttons, fabric covered buttons, mother of pearl buttons, china buttons and rubber buttons. My favorite, I think, however, are green Bavarian glass buttons. They have a beautiful white flower on them.

As I look at all these vintage buttons, I cannot help but stop and think about those who wore those buttons... How different the times were. How much they must have treasured being able to buy their buttons, whereas we see them and buy them for such a cheap price and think nothing of them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“For the next level of crochet, I decided I was going to make my daughter a thick blanket. This proved to be harder than I anticipated! I crocheted 7 skeins of yarn into the blanket, only to discover I had increased my number of stitches as I went, creating a rhombus rather than a rectangle! So I had to pull all those skeins back out and start over again!

Jenni received her blanket for Christmas. She uses it nightly, and I think she really likes it! I was pleased with how it came out!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“One of my favorite crafts is to sew clothing. This year for Christmas I made each of the children a minimum of four outfits a piece... and there are eight children! Some of them were easier (such as pajama pants) and others were much more time consuming including dresses and pant outfits.

The children were thrilled with their outfits and I was quite happy with getting them all done before Christmas! I do think I need to start earlier next year however, as I started only about a month before Christmas!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“To fulfill this badge, I decided to make my mother a cross-stitched project for Christmas. She absolutely loves hummingbirds, so I purchased Dimensions Hummingbird Duo to make for her.

She hasn't received it yet (we will celebrate Christmas together later this month or next), but I think it turned out really well and she will be pleased!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“Hello. My name is Shannon and I am guilty of multiple UFOs! However, this year I was actually able to finish some!!! I finally finished pillows for my dad and an apron for my mom! I also finally finished crocheting a blanket for my youngest daughter!

I'm actually looking forward to finishing more UFO projects this year! I feel like it's decluterring my craft supplies!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“There are three parts to earning the intermediate level of this badge. The first is to research the differences between raw and pasteurized honey. Pasteurized honey is where the honey is heated up drastically and then cooled. The thought process for doing this is to make it "safer" as it kills any yeasts and chances for fermentation. It's also thought to kill off any botulism spores. The HARM in doing this, however, is much more detrimental... the process also kills off all the minerals and vitamins, as well as filtering out all bee pollen, leaving you with a "refined" sweetener that does nothing but raise one's blood sugar! Raw honey has all the natural benefits of honey, namely the minerals and vitamins as well as the natural bee pollen, a superfood in itself, intact.

The second part of this badge was to find a source for raw honey. Thankfully we have not only found a source for raw honey, but it is also local. This is a win win for us!

The third and final requirement was to read the book "Nature's Little Wonders: Bees" by Candace Savage. I actually enjoyed this book. It comes from a science perspective mixed with some poetry, which I really enjoyed.

Overall, earning this badge was educational and enjoyable. We have eaten raw honey for quite awhile now, but I appreciated learning more about why it is a better choice for our health. ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“My children and I had been studying Prairie Primer - a homeschool curriculum based on Little House in the Prairie. With that in mind, we decided to donate a tree with homemade decorations. The decorations we made included strung popcorn, paper chains, and lots of embroidered felt ornaments. For the topper, we made an angel using an empty bottle as the structure, and covering her with lacy material.

I was THRILLED with the overall look of the tree and the recipient was just as happy with it! She doesn't put up a tree, as it is just herself, but I think the tree brought her some joy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Money was tight this year, so it was a perfect year to fulfill the expert level of this badge! I have a TON of homemade ornaments, so the decorating our tree with homemade ornaments was simple. The harder part was making all the Christmas presents this year! Each of our eight children received at least four outfits this year, completely homemade. I can finally say I am comfortable with putting in a zipper, with having done it so often this year! I also made all ten of us our Christmas Eve pajamas, which I do every year. Our oldest daughter also received a desk my husband and I made. Our three sons received homemade bows and arrows made from PVC pipe and dowel rods. Our second daughter received a kit to make her own fairy garden. Our next two daughters received an end table that we painted and turned into a storage area for their dolls and doll clothing as well as a wooden "zoo" for their stuffed animals. For our youngest daughter I crocheted her a heavy blanket. And then there was my dear sweet hubby - his gift will last all year - and includes dates for each month.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of fulfilling this badge! One thing I learned, however, is that I MUST start earlier in the year!!! I didn't start until November, other than my youngest daughter's blanket, and it about drove me batty!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“With eight children that I homeschool, working isn't the most feasible thing at this time. A few months ago, however, I started helping a friend by going to her house on Sunday afternoon, once or twice a month, and making a bunch of freezer meals for her to cook at a later time. And I loved it! Apparently she loved it too, as she has talked very highly about the meals to some of her coworkers. As a result, I have begun to dream up "Dinner's Done." It's a "business" where I go into your home and make your your meals for you, putting them in your freezer or fridge.

This business is still in it's beginning stages, but I am quite excited at the potential! Rather than charging, I'm thinking I will probably barter for services when possible.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“Legally, Wyoming is a GREAT state to undertake this. The food will be consumed in a private home setting, and they are actually doing the cooking, whereas I will be doing the preparing, therefore, under Wyoming's Food Freedom Act, I am well covered. And, due to the type of business, there are no overhead fees. Business cards are only $3.99 for 100 from Vistaprint. As I don't have any intention of turning this business into a fulltime huge undertaking, with multiple young children, these were perfect!

I'm actually quite excited about this undertaking! The nice thing is I'm in complete control of how much I do and do not add to my plate!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  1:53:23 PM  Show Profile
Ann Gee (#7351) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a queen size quilt using two panel pieces which I fussy cut into squares and then used the log cabin pattern to go around each square I cut out. This was a Christmas quilt. I think it turned out great. I was very pleased with the outcome.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I learned to both embroider and cross stitch. I made a sampler of the different stitches and knots. So far it's going great, and I'm getting better with practice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I embroidered a Days of the Week dishtowel set, entered it in a local fair (took 2nd place) and gave the set to a friend. This was super! I won 2nd place at the fair!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page