Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed a half apron from a pattern. My apron turned out great, and it was easy.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed a full apron from a kit. I used a chili pepper print and wore it to our church's chili contest. It's VERY cute! Lots of compliments!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made my own garden trellises for beans, tomatoes and cucumbers out of recycled sticks, wood and string.

It turned out great and it was cheap!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I started a dairy goat herd, learned to milk, and continue to breed and milk them. I added to our farm the rare/heritage breeds of Large Black Hogs and Jacob's Sheep.

What a joyful enterprise! We love the fresh, nutritious milk and meat our herds are providing us.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  2:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We now raise our own chicken, duck, rabbit, pork, and goat meat. We buy our grassfed beef from a local farmer. I wrote a letter referencing the current TN Senate Bill 15 touting the benefits of knowing where my goat meat and milk come from and the right to consume it.

Great. Always a work in progress, but knowing how our animals live their lives, feeding them what we think is best, and processing the way we think is best sure goes a long way in knowing you are consuming a safe, nutritious source.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knit some cowls for 2 friends for Christmas. Great--it turns out the colors were perfect for what they already could wear them with!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knit a V-neck sweater vest for my husband, and spent 8 hours in the car knitting while my son drove us to Kansas City from Nashville. My husband was thrilled. I love the variegated yarn colors--navy, burgundy, and hunter green.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I started collecting buttons and using them to adorn my homemade soap labels. I'm very picky about not spending a lot on buttons--unless they are just one of a kind.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I took a Wilton Cake Decorating class which taught me the tools, ingredients, and methods to use to ice a cake.

I loved the class and have continued to use the knowledge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I organized my recipes into a handwritten card box and an internet organization software (pepperplate.com). I wanted two places so that I can reminisce with the older, handwritten recipes from my mom, grandma and friends, as well as "modern" technology to rapidly pull up a recipe from wherever I am.

Very time consuming, but worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I researched what local plants are edible, where they grow best, and best time to forage. I was surprised at how many edible plants grow just in the yard/acreage and how they can supplement our meals both nutritionally and yummily!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2019 :  3:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I've searched places to forage before, during and after peak seasons. Now I know where to get, for example, my wild violets to make my wild violet jelly; my plantain leaves to cook with basalmic vinegar, EVOO, red onions and bacon; dandelion leaves to steam or add fresh to salads; pecans and black walnuts; wild chives; etc.

I love to add wild foraged plants and nuts to our meals. Its free and adds a variety to the dishes not found in the grocery store or most restaurants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I started researching canning--ph, acidity, methods of canning. I've really been canning for a long time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I water bath canned wild violet jelly and tomatoes (adding citric acid to ensure acidity). I shared my jelly recipe with friends on social media who were interested and had never heard of it.

This went great--water bath canning is the easiest method to can (but only if it's the PROPER method for the food acidity).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I canned green beans, potatoes, rabbit meat, pinto beans in my pressure cooker. I did a lot of this with a girlfriend in my kitchen, so we shared recipes and processes.

It turned out great. I'll continue to pressure cook green beans and pinto beans. Will probably switch to freezing the rabbit meat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:48:18 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I pulled out all my storage containers, threw away all the mismatched lids/containers. I feel so much better!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I did an inventory of the things I needed, after going on a cruise and taking several cooking classes. I added a microplaner, a meat cutter, a bread cutter, and a fish filet knife. I gave the tools I had multiples of or were replacing to my son, who just moved into his first house.

I feel a lot better and more prepared to accomplish my kitchen duties!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I bought 2 different knife sharpeners for American and Asian blades and sharpened all my knives. Although they don't do as good of a job as a professional knife sharpener, they sure help!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I researched cheesemaking, purchased the tools/materials I would need, and made my first farm cheese from my own dairy goat herd milk.

It went super--although it is IMPERATIVE that the temperatures are correct (can't eyeball it--need a thermometer)!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I expanded my cheesemaking to include ricotta (both vinegar and lemon), mozzarella (microwave method), cream cheese, and cheddar.

I don't have a lot of patience, so the soft, quick cheeses are my favorites. It takes so long to wait for the cheddar to ripen! I make my ricotta flavored & freeze for future use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched where and what we can recycle. We can recycle at our local dump.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We throw all recycling into one bin and then separate it out into the different containers at the dump. It's an easy process.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We've recycled for years. I recommend and advise all to recycle as we talk--also did a "green" presentation to a church group which included recommendations about recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I researched, both for myself, and then to present to a church group, non-toxic cleaning products. I now make my own liquid laundry detergent and have foregone dryer sheets and use felted woolen balls instead to combat static electricity.

The homemade detergent doesn't always work super well on stains (of which there are a LOT on a farm), but I LOVE the felted woolen balls!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16270 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16270 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“I attended the requisite meetings, researched the issues on the ballots, and voted for a minimum of 5 elections in county, state, and federal elections. Easy to do and every person should participate at a minimum in this way.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page