Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2019 :  09:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“When shopping, we started buying biodegradable dryer sheets and non-toxic cleaners. We are looking into ways to reduce even more like not using single use straws or lids!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2019 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We created our own reusable shopping bags for future trips at our first chapter meeting in honor of Earth Day. Everyone was SO creative and had an amazing time making a bag. I spoke about why it was important to do, and not just because in California you have to pay extra for a bag. It was a great time.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 08 2019 :  09:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“I hosted our first chapter meeting of the Orange County Farmgirl Chapter. I recruited wonderful ladies and we worked on the "Shopping Green" merit badge by creating and painting our own reusable bags.

We are meeting once (hopefully soon twice) a month and have a meeting later this month. The ladies are so nice and very interested in the organization!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  08:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“The 5 herbs I have learned more about are:
    1. Sage is good for headaches, itching, and sore throats. I use sage when making making my weekly soup.

2. Pepermint helps with toothaches, bad breath, and fatigue. I use peppermint as a tea.

3. Dill is good for coughs. I use dill to make a chip dip.

4. Thyme is helps with the asthma,flu and anxiety. I use thyme on my chicken

5. Ginger is good for motion sickness. I use ginger when baking.

I'm growing each of these in pots inside and will take them out soon. Learning about the herbs has taught me how to use them besides in the kitchen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I'm growing basil and oregano. I use them for many sauces and soups. It turned out well. I love the fresh flavor of the herbs in my food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  08:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I am growing rosemary, several different kinds of mint for hot and iced tea, and chives.
I share fresh rosemary and thyme with a recipe for rosemary and thyme chicken with Janie, Carol, Marica, Mary, and Joleen. They each were happy to get such a nice treat.

I feel it turned out well. I want to keep learning and adding herbs to my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 17 2019 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I have adopted a vocabulary that is inclusive and not marginalizing. I'm aware of people in my community who are dealing with disabilities, or as I prefer to call it, different abilities. We all have different abilities and none of them need be a disability. I myself am ADD, and that is not something that ever goes away. While I do not handle some things well, I excel at handling other things. I work with Girl Scouts, each of which also has a different ability, but everyone of them is brilliant and as a team, they can take on anyone or anything. The problem is the idea of "normal." There is no such thing as "normal" as we are all different.

This topic happens to be one of my "soap boxes." My personal motto is, "Normal is a setting on a washing machine." We are each unique and perfect in our uniqueness. Rather than pointing out how we are different, we need to focus our how we are the same and what each of us is good at. We all have something we do well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 17 2019 :  09:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“I researched different types of wood and techniques for makeovers, and spoke with an associate in a local paint department. I looked over all my options for doing an eco-friendly makeover and learned about stains and paints. I chose my childhood trunk which was my hope-chest, then later a toy box for each of my children. It had already been made-over once and has been well loved. I chose to remove the pain on it, but not completely, and finish it with a stain, then added a padded top to it so that it could serve as seating as well. It took over 10 hours to complete. I posted before and after photos on The Farmgirl Connection.

There is some residual paint under the new stain, which I love. I didn't want pristine, I wanted much loved. Putting all those upholstery tacks in let me with a very bruised finger from hitting it so many times. I'm going to have to do a lot more upholstering before I'm any good at it. I plan to take this trunk with me to Women's Primitive Skills this weekend as it is my new clothes and other goodies trunk.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the pictures smaller when I post them in the chatroom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Field (#7908) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“In celebration and preparation for my birthday (May 23), we decided to make it a learning-about-canning day! As a family, we learned the difference between water bath and pressure canning, and that water bath canning is for high acid foods (or foods that have a sufficient balance of acid added to them), like fruits, fruit juices, jams, salsa, tomatoes, pickles, vinegars and some condiments. Pressure canning is REQUIRED to preserve low acid foods as it’s the combination of time and temperature that destroys food borne bacteria - required for meats, poultry, salsa and vegetables. We looked at a jar of Mozzetta Golden Pepperoncinis and determined that because it contained vinegar with an addition of citric acid, it was likely water-bath canned. Similarly, we were surprised to discover balsamic vinegar as an ingredient in a jar of pomegranate and jalapeño pepper jam along with citric acid and lemon juice - definitely water bath canning! Lastly, we looked at my daughter’s favorite Trader Joe’s Turkey chili in a tin can, and determined that it MUST have been pressure canned to preserve the meat (and the generally low acid makeup of the recipe except for the tomatoes!) I'm keeping a Farmgirl Journal where I'm writing down notes on everything I’ve learned, including recipes, etc!

I learned so much and the second half of our day was spent in an orchard beginning on the next step of the canning merit process (picking strawberries to make jam!) This was a really fun one and I was surprised to discover how simple it was to determine the canning method by first understanding the science behind it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  10:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (#4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“With this level we did look for classes but they were too much money and you needed to have all the tools so we watched a youtube video of a guy making a feather. It was much different than I expected. We learned about copper foil, making a pattern, carbite, flux, and solder. Then we did our version of stained glass. A kiddie glass bead kit in the oven lol. Those little suckers are harder than I remember to keep in the lines. We did go to a small town gallery. It turned out good and we will definitely keep an eye out for cheaper classes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Stiching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“At our May Meeting for our FGS Chapter, we did origami. I decided to try a koi. I thought it went pretty well for my first try, the directions are easy to follow. I definitely want to keep learning more shapes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  10:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked our two water sources for leaks and found none. I created a list of ways to conserve water.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I'm already doing most of the things on the list. The only way to save more water is for the other people in the house to take shorter showers, which I have asked them to do. If they limit by just 2 minutes they can save 10+ gallons of water.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I wrote a letter to the local paper about the local literacy rate issues, and about an upcoming opportunity to help. I also worked 10 more hours with my student, she is starting to read sentences now.

I'm hoping they will publish my letter and I will continue to work to promote literacy in our county.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Field (#7908) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We decided to start a backyard chicken flock and after a lot of research, we ordered our baby chicks from Cackle Hatchery online. Imagine our delight to receive our call from the Post Office! We kept our chicks in the house for about 4 weeks, making a brooder first out of a cardboard box, then from a larger box, then finally with a large doggie fence/enclosure that we modified. Finally, we moved them out to their coop!

Watching our chicks grow SO QUICKLY has been amazing and amazing for our 2 1/2 year old daughter. We feed the chicks organic feed and let them graze in a pasture we've created for them. We're learning so much by keeping chicks and have loved the whole process so far! Our 17 chicks all have names and distinct personalities coming through!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  09:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (#7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“This one seemed a little too easy. I have three bags for shopping. I leave them in my vehicle so that I don't forget them when I go shopping. The trick is getting them back in the truck before I leave the house again! Now that Oregon has banned the use of single use plastic bags, it's even more important.

While I do love my plaid plastic bag, (it has a zipper too!) my other bags are cloth and get dirty too easy. I have plans to make a few reusable bags out of some feed bags that I have around.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  09:47:50 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (#7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I started by making my own soap. It was easier than I thought it would be. I found a few recipes on line that I thought I might like to try. All of them started with lye, goat milk, and a variety of fats and oils. My oils and fats of choice were olive oil, coconut oil and lard. The measurements had to be exact. I had to pull out my kitchen scale. I put the goat milk in the freezer to get slushy so that it wouldn't curdle when it was mixed with the lye. I mixed and warmed my oils and fats. I wore gloves and googles to protect myself. I had to mix the lye milk mixture and the fats when they both reached the same temperature. After I started mixing the lye into the fats I used a hand mixer I bought just for this purpose. Two minutes mixing, five minutes setting. It seemed to take a long time to trace...finally I was able to pour it in my mold. Wrapped it in a towel to keep it warm and let it cure on the counter for about 24 hours. It was still soft when I cut it the next day. The directions said to let it cure for about four to six weeks.

The all purpose cleaner was much easier. I poured white vinegar over some orange peel. I let it sit for about a week, shaking it a few times a day. The orange vinegar mixed with equal amounts of water in spray bottle. Shake before using.

The laundry soap wasn't too bad. Washing soda, borax, shaved mild soap, (I used small leftovers from my homemade soap!) And a lot of water. Melting the soap in water and disolving the powders took some time. Lots of boiling water.

I love my soap! I started to add a few tablespoons of honey and a bit of beeswax from my hive to the soap and it traces quickly now. It did harden nicely as it cured. Add a little coffee grounds just before pouring and it makes a nice exfoliating bar. Can't use those bars for laundry soap but the rest are fair game!

I love my cleaner. It actually cuts the grease off my stove and I can use it on my walnut kitchen table. Smells nice too!

I love my laundry soap too! As long as I kept stirring it while it cooled, it turned into a gel soap. I do have to wash out my washing machine once a month with vinegar to keep the inards clean, but it is a small price to pay to know what is in my soap!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2019 :  09:48:52 AM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (#7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I made my own lip balm. Coconut oil, beeswax, soy butter, liquid vitamin E, and a touch of honey. I made soap, which I love. I have been using my own deodorant for a while now and I still love it. I made some bath bombs. I started using rosehip oil with a few drops of frankincense oil as a mosturizer. I also made some foundation and mascara. I was lucky enough to find a book that has an amazing set of recipes for vegan and cruilty free bath and beauty products.

I enjoy almost all of the things that I've made so far, except for the mascara. The mascara turned out...well...odd. I replaced it with an all natural store bought version that works well for me. I'm looking forward to making facial masks and learning how to make shampoo bars!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've been using cloth or reusable shopping bags for the past 6 years or so. In the past year I've added reusable produce bags to my family's habits while shopping to cut down on those thin plastic produce bags when we're able to.

We love having our cloth bags. They are kept either in the back of the family vehicle or a stack of them in the kitchen area. We use them not only for groceries but also for farmer's markets, library trips, thrift store shopping, and more. It feels good to not be bringing home very many plastic bags over the years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Since my oldest child was a baby I've been doing a lot of research and switching over to more earth-friendly cleaning products, as well as trying to get my mom and sister to switch over. My oldest is now 6! We have a stack of cotton rags and cloths in the kitchen & both bathrooms for use in cleaning. I save the orange peels we would otherwise discard to make a cleaning vinegar. I've tried various store-bought "natural," cleaners but typically go back to making & using my own as there always seems to be too much fragrance or still some suspicious ingredients in the store bought ones. I'm always looking for earth-friendly packaging when we shop. Sometimes it can be a challenge and we either go without the product, I make it at home, or we reuse any packaging that cannot be recycled or composted.

I love the ease of having reusable and/or easily prepared cleaning supplies on hand. It is nice to be able to clean my home and know that we as a family are not breathing in any potentially harmful smells from the cleaner. It also feels great to know that in some very small way we are being friendlier to the earth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“In our area there is recycling offered with the trash service. It's placed in a designated blue bag to be picked up on a bi-monthly basis. Currently the only plastics accepted are #1 & #2 plastics. Other accepted recyclables: newspapers, cardboard (broken down & bundled with twine), beverages cartons (rinsed with lid replaced), as well as office paper (no shiny/glossy type papers). Since we are in WA & also live on the border of OR we can take *most* glass and canned beverages to a recycling center & receive payment for each uncrushed bottle/can.

We've been here about a year (we moved from MT) and the recycling switch hasn't been all that bad. It is nice to have a way to recycle our glass as that wasn't such an easy option where we were in MT. There has been a change in plastics being accepted but I think that is pretty common everywhere over the past year or so. Anyhow, we recycle whenever we can with the hopes that it is making a bit of difference as it is kind of out of our hands in some situations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“Since my oldest was born I have put hours of research into finding more earth & animal friendly products for us. She is now 6 and she and her little sister are both on board with this process. We use a remineralizing toothpaste from a brand called Harry's. I've tried making toothpaste before and it worked okay, but I prefer to buy it from the Harry's brand as I trust them and it arrives in a glass container. We go back and forth between shampoo bars & liquid shampoo both from companies that are earth and animal friendly. As a family we rarely wear deodorant as sweat happens and we don't stink all that much. BUT if we do happen to use it, I will just rub on a slice of lime, a swab of coconut oil, or an old stick of earth friendly/animal friendly stuff in the back of my drawer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have yet to make any type of soap although that is definitely on my list. For now, I will continue to support the local people I know and trust for their awesome soaps! I have tried my hand at making lip balms, beet root tinted lip balm, body butter, whipped body butter, herbal infused skin oils (face/body), essential oil blends, makeup, dry shampoo, and a few other things. Every product was used making earth friendly and animal cruelty-free ingredients as that is important to me and my family.

It is fun to make our own health and beauty products and occasionally we will give them as gifts to friends and family. I really appreciate knowing what went into my product and that they are safe for me and my family to use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I suppose one process I haven't shared is how I make herbal tinctures and teas for our health and beauty use. I do grow a small selection of herbs or will forage for herbs that I will use to produce tinctures or teas. The tincture is usually set in alcohol (vodka) for a period of time, shaken daily or so, then strained and used a few drops or dropperfuls at a time. Herbal tea making is fairly no fuss. Forage or pick homegrown herbs, wash and let dry (air dry or dehydrate). When dried combine a selected variety of herbs together. Example: chamomile, spearmint, lemon balm, and rose hip tea. Tinctures: Red clover tincture. I've shared my teas with friends and family before as well as various health and beauty products. My mom and sister have both been very receptive to welcoming more natural products in their lives as a result.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Marshall (mellomoonmama, #7924) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I believe it was back in November that I started interviewing my mom, my dad, and my mother in law with a list of really great questions I found on Pinterest. There are 7 sections to the "Interview," so over 100 questions for each person. Starting with before they were born up to where they are in life now and what wisdom they have to share. Since it is such an intense process I have not finished with any of them as they all live in different states. Typically when we sit down for a session, I will video call them & have a voice recorder going on my computer. I will have the document of questions pulled up on the computer as well and will occasionally type out notes. However, it is much more fun to just sit back and listen while it is all being recorded.

My other family history project which I started in March. . .I've asked the females of the family-- grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, sister, etc. for handwritten recipe cards, photos of themselves in the kitchen/of kitchen creations, and a questionnaire pertaining to their kitchen work and why they love it. I am working on turning it into a recipe book via Shutterfly for my two daughters to have for when they're older.

I'm loving the process so far. I'm not entirely sure what I will do with the recorded interviews. I think it would be fun to make it into a book somehow. I am loving the recipe project so far and it's amazing to see the diversity in recipes throughout the families as well as the conversations that are started! I hope both projects are in some way valuable to at least my daughters!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Amanda Schefter (#7887) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I used the internet for research - Being that I can only upload 1 picture, I have included the first page of my research. I had a total of 4!

So far, so good! I'm very eager to move on to the Intermediate badge. As the 10th great-grand daughter of Governor William E. Bradford, I 'm currently doing research to (God willing) write about his views/opinions of what he and the colonists hoped for in this country. Including, his study and following of Torah and Hebrew.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page