Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  09:54:53 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (#7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 Rs Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“I started in March by preparing my hand tools for spring. I read an article on sharpening pruners. Then I cleaned my 3 pruners, sharpened with stone, and oiled. I relocated all my tools, cleaned, and placed in proper locations in potting shed and greenroom. I continued to work on proper placement through June. I also started collecting tin can lids. I finished punching and placing in potted herb garden in tub.

I am pleased with my herb garden on my patio. Herbs are in pots placed in old galvanized tub. See photo. I need to be better at caring for and putting away my numerous hand tools.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  10:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“I was given a box of purple fabric. In the box there was also white fabric. So I cut out jolly bars which are 10 in by 5 in rectangles. I cut out 84 of them out of the purple fabric. I cut 84 5 in squares from the white fabric. I then sewed the white squares to the purple jolly bars then sewed them into rows of 14 in each rows then sewed 6 rows and sewed them together. I added a border backing and quilted it and the added a border.

It turned out well. Because my sewing skills are weak it took a long time but it is done and ready to give to a friend for her birthday. She loves purple. I'm excited to make another quilt.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“On May 25th-26th we decided to disconnect from the cell phone and tv for the weekend. During that weekend we worked outside at the farm, cut out wood shapes and stained and painted them. I played in the craft room. I worked on finishing a few crafts on the table. We played cards and baked a cake for dinner. We did have the radio on to enjoy music. It was a nice weekend. I loved it. I hate to watch TV. I would enjoy doing it again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  10:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“Since I don't have any farmgirls that can get away, I took my daughter with me we rented a cabin about 1 1/2 hours away from the farm. We enjoyed our stay on May 31-June 2. We went for a hike at the local state park, stopped at the diner for a bit to eat then headed back to the cabin we enjoyed games, a bonfire, crafting and just relaxing with a cup of tea on Friday. Saturday we stayed at the cabin all day enjoying a day in our pj's and sitting outside crafting. On Sunday we went into to town to enjoy church and a nice breakfast at the local diner. After breakfast and church we went to the scrapbook store to pick up supplies as we used all mine while at the cabin. Then headed home. We want to go back again. It was a fun couple of days.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  10:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I rented the cabin at the local county park as it hard to be away from the farm with hubby's change in his work schedule. I did have to go back to the farm to do morning chores and then left to head right back to the park for the day. While at the park, I worked in my bible journaling fruit of the spirit, caught up on pen pal letters, made goals for my life. I took my sewing machine and worked on my American quilt.

For me this was really hard as I need to be around people everyday. Even if I don't talk just need them there. I won't do this again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  10:25:29 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (#4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I learned that I could sharpen a knife by using a stone. It took some time but I got all the knives in my kitchen very sharp.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2019 :  10:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Sherilynn Carroll (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“I strapped on my backpack and went backpacking for the weekend with my daughter, taking only organic food, and leaving no trace (low-impact camping).

We did our mother-daughter weekend in Stehekin, Washington and it was wonderful! I had forgotten how difficult it can be to breath at higher altitudes. We were at 1100 feet elevation. There was even an organic farm a couple of miles from our camp where we got fresh produce to liven up our camp food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2019 :  10:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Sherilynn Carroll (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“Some places in my community say they are accessible or functional for people with disabilities, and many are. For some places, widening the aisles and eliminating clutter on the floor would go a long way towards increasing accessibility and functionality.

I identified areas in my home that might be difficult to use or access if one of use were injured.

I know a person who is living with medical conditions that challenge her. I can make her feel more welcome by eliminating some of the clutter in our home that narrows or blocks walkways.

How does what you've learned affect how you react to people around you who might need assistance? That is a tough question. I've always tied to be conscious of others around me and whether they might need assistance so that I may render it.

I've learned that making a few changes would go a long way to making a space more physically accessible, for them and safer for everyone.

Opening a door, moving an object in the way, getting something down from a high shelf, giving someone a smile when life seems to be weighing heavy on their shoulders, all these things go a long way toward letting someone with differing abilities that they are seen and heard, and they are valuable too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2019 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Sherilynn Carroll (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I joined an online challenge called Mystery Quilt in which everyone reads the same murder mystery book and makes a mystery quilt block each month. At the end of the year, you get the directions to assemble the quilt and you have to solve the murder mystery. All the people who guess correctly are put into a drawing for a gift certificate from the woman who sponsored the challenge, and you have a completed quilt top.

I also keep my TBR pile stacked high and have completed my two books from the Beginner Level ("A Discovery of Witches", "Shadow of Night", "The Book of Life" all by Deborah Harkness).

Since I'm a very busy person with a business, teenager, and small farm (not to mention all my projects), I choose an online book group that combined my love of Mystery novels (Agatha Christie is my all time favorite author), and my love of needle crafts.

I did guess the murderer correctly, but didn't win the prize. However, I have a new quilt, a new mystery novel, and 12 different quilt patterns to add to my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2019 :  10:25:06 AM  Show Profile
Sherilynn Carroll (#1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I created an emergency kit that will last for 72 hours and created emergency contact cards for each of my family members to carry in their wallets.

I've always kept a great deal of canned food in my pantry, but I have since added many dried foods as well (it comes from growing up on a farm and spending a week or more without power and snowed in). We keep camp stove fuel on hand so we can always use it if the power or gas goes out, as well as cook on top of the wood stove (we have lots of firewood too). I also keep both of my rain barrels full (they are only emptied for cleaning in the spring when we are getting plenty of rain to refill them) and I keep at least (3) 2.5 gallon containers of water in the store room. This year I have added some of the backpacking gear to the emergency kit in the vehicle so that all our emergency gear is not all in one location (single point of failure).

Aside from food and water for everyone, including the dogs, I think the single most important item in the kit is the portable solar charger. As long as the cell service is operating, we can keep the electronics charged and available for emergencies.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I read several articles that defined "cruelty free" (no testing on animals) and "organic" (use of only organically farmed ingredients: no GMOs, herbicides,synthetic fertilizers). On 4/1/19, I started using Burt's Bees Floride free toothpaste. I already use a homemade/purchased goat milk lotion and a natural aluminum-free deodorant. Today, I made lip balm with bee's wax, shea butter, coconut butter and peppermint oil.

I'm very happy with all of the natural products I use. I now have 25 jars (3ml) of natural lip balm I will give as small gifts to family and friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I used the "Smithsonian Guide to Birds of N America" and " Michigan Field Guide" (pictured) while watching the birds in my yard. I made a list of birds I most wanted to see in my own yard and woods: Indigo bunting, red headed woodpeckers, wren, scarlet tanager, rose breasted grossbeak, Great horned own, Baltimore oriole, orchard oriole, bald eagle; and in near by areas: loon, sand hill crane, Great blue heron.

As I watched birds coming throughout the spring and summer, I have seen all the birds on my "wish list" except the scarlet tanager and the great horned owl. I will keep watching!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“To start, my granddaughter and I actually found and identified the larva of a hover fly, and a rat tailed maggot! I then looked at other bugs around the yard and garden, finding good bugs: hover flies, ladybugs, dragonflies, praying mantis, bumblebees. I read why these are good and how to attract them. I then read about the bad bugs I see in my garden, yard and woods: emerald ash borer, gypsy moth, rose chafer, tomato hornworm.

I researched several different methods of organic control. I would like to try nematodes for our grub population. I also learned that rose chafers are toxic to birds. I am happy to say, I've never given them to my chickens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I read the book, "Secret Life of Bees," starting on 7/6/2019 and finished 7/16/2019. I watched the trailer of the movie "vanishing bees" on 7/9/2019. I have planted a special garden for bees and hummingbirds, which includes Petunias, foxglove, Nepeta, Sunflowers, Penstemon (2 kinds), purple salvia, pink sage, snapdragons, yarrow, monarda, hostas, zinnias, and shrubs: weigelia and bluebeard.

I'm enjoying the garden area as blooms and hummers and bees appear. As this is the first year, I expect to see an increase as the years go by. I was very interested in the documentary of bees, and intend to watch the entire movie in the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I thought back on some of the more "unusual" foods I've eaten: menudo, pumpkin "candy", octopus, seaweed, ostrich, turtle, cactus. (I just could NOT eat a smoked eel!) I consider myself to be an adventuresome eater. I looked at various foods of the Middle Eastern cuisine, and looked up several recipes, and decided I would make several different foods. I shopped and was all ready to start.

Living in a small rural community, I had to look at several different stores for my ingredients, and never was able to find tamari, so had to substitute sesame oil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I'd chosen a Middle East even cuisine, and enlisted the help of a friend, who attends a vegan cooking group with me. I made vegan pita breads, Lebanese tabbouleh, and hummus. Jill made vegan falafels and cucumber yogurt sauce. We gathered for our meal, with eight attending, and talked about the food and the preparation. We also talked about foods from various areas, such as Ireland, Brazil, and Mexico.

A number of the members of the group had never eaten any of this cuisine except pita bread and hummus. The falafel were a big hit! As we always do in our group, we shared our recipes and Jill gave a short demonstration of the process of making the falafels. I've attached a picture of our meal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:34:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“When my son was born in December of 1973, my husband and I were started on an unexpected and unplanned journey that still continues to this day. The family practice physician we had selected to care for our newborn son stopped by my room, opened the door, stuck his head in, but did NOT come into the room, and announced that our baby was “Mongoloid” and he was referring him to a pediatrician. The door slammed shut and my husband and I were left in utter disbelief and shock . . . and alone.

It was then we started learning the language of developmental disabilities, especially that the proper term for what our son was born with was “Down Syndrome” and it is a form of mental retardation caused by a chromosomal anomaly. In our case, after chromosomal studies, it was determined that his anomaly was not hereditary and could happen to anyone. We then became very educated on what that meant and all the possible physical issues that could be a part of his growth. We soon adopted and communicated the concept that our son was a human being first, blonde, blue-eyed, with a sense of humor, lots of love and hugs and the best dancer ever. He HAS Down Syndrome but that is not WHO or WHAT he is. Our focus has always been to focus on what he CAN do, not on what he cannot do. I’ve worked with parents to help them see their children as individual human beings with a personality, likes, dislikes, etc. FIRST.

As we started searching for services for him we met many other families with children with developmental disabilities such as cerebral palsy, autism, blindness, deafness, epilepsy, other forms of mental retardation, etc. And we started learning about the specifics of these and other disabilities so that we could have better understanding about the challenges as well as build supportive relationships with the parents.

As our son grew he needed to have eyeglasses and hearing aids at about 5 years of age. He has been generally healthy all of his life but we did have a scare with appendicitis just before his 5th birthday and lots of upper respiratory infections that, thankfully, didn’t develop into pneumonia or other more serious illnesses. Dental care for him was one of the biggest challenges and remains so today. We worked with him in toileting habits, walking, speech . . . which is still a BIG challenge and many activities of daily living. All the while doing this I was becoming more and more involved in helping other parents learn about how to access services for their children, becoming more of a true PARTNER with the professionals, no matter their field, who were working with their children.

I worked for the State of Colorado Special Services Unit as a Parent Professional to help educate and support parents and help them build mutually beneficial relationships with professionals. I also founded and directed a tax exempt parent and professional support organization in the Four Corners Area which was also able to help educate, create awareness and get support from local businesses. I wrote my masters thesis for my Master of Science degree in Health and Human services on “Parent-Professional Partnerships for the Developmentally Disabled”. I have also conducted parent trainings for how to participate in IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meetings for school services, how to proceed with guardianship applications and many other situations. I have also directed a puppet program for the purpose of educating school children about different disabilities and how to treat and interact with individuals. The puppet team was comprised of adults and high-school teens. Their teachers actually were very willing to let them out of class to go do the puppet programs.

My husband and I have also helped organize and host social events for families of those with disabilities, keeping in mind any special needs anyone needs but also trying to include and “normalize” the event as much as was reasonable. We, to this day, remain very involved with our son even though he no longer lives at home. That also means that we're around other folks with disabilities and interacting with them, having conversations with them and enjoying their company.

I've noticed a few places locally that need some modifications for accommodating persons with disabilities, such as a restroom stall not large enough to accommodate a wheelchair and be able to move it around. Our home is all one level with only one step up onto the outside deck and is basically obstacle free for anyone.

I know MANY people who are disabled and living with challenges. As with my son, I do my best to carry on conversations with them that are suitable for them and they can engage in. I try to be interested in them and their interests, be aware of anything they might need, be sensitive to anything that might trigger a negative and/or unpleasant reaction.

My youngest sister has been totally disabled and dependent for the last 13 years due to a traumatic brain injury from a horseback riding incident. She is a totally different person than she used to be and I’ve learned a lot about TBI from working with and being around her. She is no longer able to care for herself and the expectations for behavior have had to change. We've helped move and replace furniture, build a wheelchair ramp to her back door and another one to her front door to help accommodate her needs. As time goes on, we have and will help as other needs come up.

Needs for our son are ongoing as he gets older. He will be 46 years old in December and we will be as involved with him and his service providers as long as we or he are still living. And we will always be a part of his life and those who are involved in his life, as well as his disabled friends. We will be constantly educating, creating awareness and helping in any way that we are able to.

We have had our battles, heartbreaks, lots of stresses and difficulties but we have also had so much joy and happiness in raising our son. And the friendships and relationships we’ve built through these years are priceless! We've always said we’d really not have had it any other way. It’s a lifelong journey!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (lynnem, #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I found out that commercially-made health products are or can be tested on animals. Cruelty-free products can be recognized in two ways. Some certification organizations merely require a written agreement from the manufacturer that they do not test on animals. Others, such as Leaping Bunny, are more vigilant. These organizations require companies to agree to independent audits. As I use up any commercially-made products, they will be replaced with organic, cruelty-free products. For my homemade item, I decided to make a Restful Night Sleep Bath, with Epsom salts, baking soda, and essential oils of lavender, vetiver, clary sage, and ylang-ylang.

I don't know if the bath salts helped me to sleep (I fall asleep pretty well anyway,) but it certainly is enjoyable being in a warm bath with all that lovely aroma!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (lynnem, #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Questions researched and the answers are as follows:
    1. The supreme law of the land is the Constitution of the United States.
    2. The Constitution sets up the government of our nation.
    3. The first three words of the Constitution are "We the People."
    4. The first ten amendments to the Constitution are called "The Bill of Rights."
    5. Two of the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment are the right of the people to peacefully assemble and the right to petition the government for redress of grievances.
    6. The Declaration of Independence declared our independence from Great Britain.
    7. Two rights guaranteed in the Declaration of Independence are life and liberty.
    8. Freedom of religion is the right to practice whatever religion one chooses.
    9. The United States has a mixed economy, which is a combination of market, command, and traditional economies.
    10. The "rule of law" is the legal principle that law should govern a nation, as opposed to being governed by arbitrary decisions of individual government officials.

I was amazed at how many of these questions I could answer without having to do any research!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  10:53:35 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (lynnem, #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Although I've been away from working on my merit badges for quite a while, I have been diligent with my recycling. I am doing papers, cardboard, plastic, and glass. This system has been in place for nearly 1-1/2 years. I've managed to recruit my husband to the cause.

My husband was a hard case!It is so easy just to throw things into the trash. He now asks constantly "Is this recycling?" He may not get things to the right container, but at least they are not in the garbage can!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  11:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Ruth Banwell (musicality, #4223) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I'm a violinist and teacher, so doing research was a good review for me. I studied how melody is the tune of the piece and provides the listener with a series of pitches moving in skips and steps of notes. Harmony supports the melody and gives the music texture and mood. Harmony notes are under, behind and around the melody. From the musical scale you create a rhythm. Rhythm is the beat of music with a succession of notes of different time value. It is a rhythmic pattern that is repeated through the music. There are 5 groups of rhythms: random, regular, alternative, flowing and progressive. Beats are determined by the time signature. Sometimes the rhythm will follow the words in a song. My 2nd question was to listen to 3 different types of music genres and identify the elements in each. I choose Vivaldi's "Summer" from the "Four Seasons" I choose the first movement "Allegro Non Molto" or not very fast. The piece was written with a story of a shephard boy and the thunder storm. The rhythms begin slow and the solo violin is the melody of the cuckoo bird. Then the full orchestra comes in with a fast rhythm and the melody goes through the different instruments with a texture and creates rhythmic interest in triplets and dotted quarter notes. "Take Five" Jazz artist Dave Brubeck. This piece was performed on the saxaphone as the main melody with the piano and double bass as the harmony with chords and single notes. In jazz there is swing notes, blues notes, call and response, vocals and improvisation or spontaneous performance without specific preparation. "Appalachia Waltz" with Yo Yo Ma cellist, Mark O'Connor violinist and Edgar Meyer bassist. This is Bluegrass American made music from the Appalachian region. The melody keeps a steady motion of notes where the harmony can be on the off beats.

I enjoyed reviewing the elements of music: rhythm, melody and harmony. Music is very complicated and I just explained it briefly. I enjoyed listening to the three genres of music, classical, Jazz and fiddle bluegrass. As a musician I try to find new artist and new types of music to listen to. It was alot of fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  09:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Lynne Meyers (lynnem, #7545) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Questions asked in the Intermediate Level are answered as follows:
    1. The three branches of the U.S. government are the executive, the legislative, and the judicial.
    2. The Constitution distributed the power of the federal government among the three branches of government, and built a system of checks and balances to ensure that no one branch could become too powerful.
    3. The president of the United States is in charge of the executive branch.
    4. The legislative branch (Congress) writes and passes laws.
    5. The two parts of Congress are the Senate and the House of Representatives.
    6. There are 100 United States senators, two from each state.
    7. One of Pennsylvania's Senators is Bob Casey; Chrissy Houlahan is one of Pennsylvania's eighteen representatives.
    8. The term of a U.S. Senator is six years.
    9. The term of a U.S. Representative is two years.
    10. The term of the President of the United States is four years.
    11. The President of the United States is commander-in-chief of the U.S. military.
    12. The signing of bills into law is a power of the President of the United States.

I must really remember my civics class from tenth grade! I wrote down all the answers prior to checking myself, and I found that I had answered every question correctly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  09:50:45 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I spent an additional 3 months tracking our energy usage/bills.

We replaced all of our old aluminum frame windows with vinyl double pane windows. It took more then 30 hours.

Our energy usage and bills are pretty low. Less than $60/mo for gas and electric in the summer.

After we replaced all the windows (which was a complete pain in the neck as the openings for the windows turned out to not be square), we pulled apart the old windows and recycled all the components we could. Our house is better able to trap the early morning cool air during the summer as we lack air conditioning, and will no doubt cost less to heat in the winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  2:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Linda DeBrauwere (#6633) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I just finished reading" Montrose: Life in a Garden", I started a raised bed with tomatoes and squash, I only use organic fertilizers, soil, etc in my yard, I helped my Sister start a garden.

My tomatoes are so sweet, they are like candy. I'm having a little trouble with my squash, so will have to research why (the plant looks great, but the flowers wilt and drop off without making fruit/vegetables). I enjoyed the book" Montrose: Life in a Garden" very much, although I'll never be the gardener she is!!

Here is a photo of my mini garden and the chair where I sit on my front porch doing my MaryJane's homework.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2019 :  2:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Linda DeBrauwere (#6633) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“Thank you MJF for being such an inspiration and motivator. Today I looked for a Holistic Vet and found one only 30 miles from my home, which will work for me. They even offer a free tooth evaluation and a half price first time visit. They're on my list to visit. Even though I LOVE my vet now, he believes in shots, shots, shots....looking for an alternative.

I also make my own dog food and treats. My adorable Floki and Siggi love it. I have an appointment to take Floki and Siggi in for an initial introduction and free tooth check. Of course, I have to "check them out" before becoming a regular customer, but I have high hopes.

My homemade dog food always looks so good, my husband now knows to ask, "Is it people food or for the dogs". It all looks the same since it's all human grade, but I add a mixture from the butcher shop especially for dogs that people shouldn't eat.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page