Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2020 :  12:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I researched birds native to my area by looking around outside, reading books, and watching documentaries.

Burrowing owls, barn owls, great horned owls, oriels are at the top of my wishlist. The main species I'd like to see are the barn and burrowing owls.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2020 :  12:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“5 root vegetables you can grow in Manitoba are:
    Carrots
    Beets
    Parsnips
    Turnip
    Horseradish

These are in my store:
Carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, leeks, and yams. All are are all grown in Manitoba with Peak of the Market except yams, which are grown in Jamaica.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2020 :  12:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I have grown parsnips, carrots, and turnips. I've canned, frozen and eaten all of these root vegetables. I've never found them in the wild. A root vegetable that grows in my horse pasture is horseradish. It was initially planted there many years ago but has gone wild and prolific.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2020 :  12:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Cowgirl@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I've been a member of the local library near where I work for 10 years. I've done inter-library loans and belong to the audio book app where I always have an audio book on loan! I've wanted to take classes at my local library but have not made time yet. I've participated in leading classes for children during the summer for summer programming.

My commute is an hour each way and always have a list of books to be read (or listened to)! We have also rented movies, books, and magazines.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2020 :  12:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta Brown, #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I earned my candlemaking badge by first going to a jar candlemaking class with my farmgirl sisters because we had no idea what was involved. We left with colored, scented candles. It was fun. At dinner after our class, our sister Lynda taught us about the different types of wax. Although most waxes are a mixture they are mostly made up of one type. Soy is the most versatile with a high melting point, so that molded and taper candles hold their shape in warmer temperatures. It tends to be a bit frosty looking. Paraffin is also used a lot but melts easier so it is good for jars. IIt has a glossier look. Beeswax is the hardest to work with and needs specific wicks. It's also is difficult to color.

Scenting candles was interesting. You can sent candles with oils or crushed and powdered herbs and plants and even the zest of citrus.

Coloring candles is done with pigment dyes or herbs that are infused in wax.

This turned out great as we left with candles and now are ready to make our own at home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  9:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Mentoring Sister: Heidi Schaap, JustPlainHeidi, #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I'd never cross-stitched before, but I thought I'd give it a try! I found a free pattern online from Country Living (always love seeing their free patterns in the magazines), and started a project of a beautiful butterfly!

I loved the finished project so much, I cross stitched the words 'love' to the bottom, framed it, and gave it to a friend for her birthday. <3”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  9:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Hadassah Schaap (Mentoring Sister: Heidi Schaap, JustPlainHeidi, #3752) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“*Alas, forgot about this badge until I was flipping through some things!*

A good friend of mine, a young mom, had her fourth baby in May of 2018. She had three little ones, so I asked her if I could give her a hand with her littles until she got back on her feet.
For a few days that week, I helped her run to the grocery store (pushed her little ones around in their own cart), and we went strawberry picking another day. One day I just played outside with the kids while she took some rest with her baby.

It was a great way to help her, and she thanked me profusely for giving her so many hours that week where she could focus on her newborn! I had so much fun taking care of her little ones and helping them with their everyday life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  10:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup @21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I just read Gardening with Heirloom Seeds by Lynn Coulter. I will hopefully buy it once I find it! Tons of useful and inspirational information. I've gotten all of my seed in for this year. I have at least 98% heirloom varieties.

I've learned a lot of new tips about planting heirlooms and keeping a seed journal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  10:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup @21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I saved seeds from peas and beans to start because they are the easiest. I bought a book from LEE VALLEY and cannot seem to find it. I planted 98% heirloom seeds and save of my plantings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  10:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup @21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“This year, I have saved 14 different varieties of seed. I spoke to a friend's dad and he said to dry seed on writing paper or white paper and it is absolutely amazing what a great job it does.

99% of my seed is heirloom and I am aiming for 100%. I've switched seed with neighbors and friends and will be attending the seed swap next year in a small town near Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm very excited about developing my first kitchen garden this year as well! I saved my milkweed seeds and will add them and marigolds amongst others to my plantings to attract pollinators! I'm very excited!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  9:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (Aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I painted over 4 paintings and even some shoes. I also visited Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West, home of the architect's famous school and art museum. I gave the shoes to my friends and enjoyed Taliesin West.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  10:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonasinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost earning a Beginner Level 'Out There' Women Merit Badge!

“There were two parts to earning the beginner level of this badge. The first was to make a survival pack. This was easily done in an afternoon!

The second part was to identify ten native plants.
    1. Yarrow: This is great as a medicinal plant for pulling out infections.
    2. Harebells: This pretty wildflower can be used for heart issues, ear drops for ear infections, or as an eyewash.
    3. Coneflower: The one we have is not the more common form of echinacea, yet it is still great for boosting the immune system.
    4. Prairie Smoke: Can be used for GI issues.
    5. Sunflower, whose seeds are delicious!
    6. Lewis' flax, which can be used for treating diarrhea, as well as to reduce inflammation.
    7. The tufted evening primrose: It too is medicinal, and can be used to reduce swelling.
    8. Soaped yucca: This pointy plant can be used for stalled deliveries, to make soap, and to treat wounds.
    9. Fern bush is used for stomach issues.
    10. Sagebrush, which can be used for preventing infection and stopping bleeding.

I thoroughly enjoyed earning this badge! It took some doing, as using these native plants are not common, and it seemed that many did not know what the plants even were. I found Native American books were the most helpful in identifying the uses.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  10:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonasinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“Over a year ago, I assembled first-aid kits for both of our vehicles, as well as for my kitchen, our master bathroom, and the bathroom downstairs. I didn't make one for the other bathroom upstairs, as I have too many littles that use that bathroom. I included herbal salves, tinctures, and activated charcoal, as well as the "typical" first aid supplies. We also have fire extinguishers in our kitchen and downstairs down by the wood stove, as well as smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house.

First aid kits are something I find extremely important... and even more importantly, is to understand how to use everything and when to use the supplies.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  10:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonasinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost earning an Intermediate Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“About a year ago, I took a first aid class and got certified. Then, earlier this month, I assisted teaching a 4-H group about basic first aid. We went over various scenarios, including a car accident where passenger one/driver had a head bleed, passenger two was thrown from the car and was unconscious, passenger three was a young child strapped in the carseat screaming, and passenger four had a broken arm. The second scenario was a hunting accident, with two in the hunting party, but one had a broken leg, and they were lost in the woods in the freezing cold snow.

Being certified in first aid is so very important! We are actually organizing a class for the end of March where our 4Hers can get certified in first aid and CPR as well as getting myself re-certified.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonasinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“In order to complete the beginner level of this badge, I was to familiarize myself with gun-safety rules and gun regulations in my state. I was then to enroll in a hunter-safety course in my area. I enrolled in a hunter-safety course with my oldest daughter and youngest son, that started the Friday after Christmas. It was all day Friday, all day Saturday, and much of Sunday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  10:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Ann Gee (Old grey mare, #7351) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made three items using a technique I had not used. One was using a mitered border, the second was a pattern using a photo technique, fussing cutting item and then using corners so it looked like a photograph, the third was using antique blocks, cutting out Sun bonnet Sue and appliquιing them onto new fabric. I also did a silk ribbon embroidery wall hanging. And I used a Santa Claus panel with log cabin design around it.

My silk ribbon took a 1st at our local quilt show 2020 in hand work, and the Santa Claus took a 3rd in holiday quilts.

I belong to a quilt group which makes comfort quilts and we have a meeting once a year where some of us teach different techniques. I have done this several years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2020 :  10:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Manuel (Debbie Manuel, #7826) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“When I was in high school, my home economics teacher had to take leave. The substitute teacher was a very old woman who had no idea what to do. So, what did she do? Thought us how to knit using pencils. Well, that was a long, long time ago. I love crafting and love all aspects of the craft. However, my family was not knitters or crocheters. I was own my own to learn this craft. Learning how to knit and purl was not that hard. My issue was reading patterns. So I never truly learned how to knit. After my mom passed, I moved and joined another church. I was excited they had a group of women who knitted on Monday nights. I picked a few easy projects that required knit and purl stitches only. I made a kitchen scrubber and then using a faux fur, a knitted headband. Valentines was approaching and I found this cute pattern for a knitted heart. I had no idea how to read the pattern. It looked simple enough, but out of my range of expertise. So I took the pattern to knit class and they showed me how to read the pattern and how to complete the heart. I will admit I struggled in front of these talented ladies. I was not going to let this stop me, so when I got home I continued working on my heart and I got the hang of it. I'm proud of my accomplishments. I still have a lot to learn but I now have a support group who will help me learn to read patterns so I can become a skilled knitter. I am now knitting a blanket and a washcloth that will spell out the Packers logo. The more confident I become in my skills, the more I will be able to learn and become more efficient in my skills and not take me forever to complete simple projects.

My projects turned out OK. They are far from perfect, but so am I. Each project is usable. I now have a kitchen scrubber I can use and not have to purchase them anymore. My headband is nice. The weather here in Virginia this year has not been that cold enough to wear it, but I have it ready to go when the weather changes. The heart became a sachet filled with sweet lavender making my dresser drawer smell good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (Aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I've researched into relaxation and realized I need more of it in my life. I want to keep doing something for myself, journalling, reading, meditating, each day.

I've been feeling down lately, so I took a walk each day this week. I came home and did a short meditation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  5:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I strung up my tomato plants with wire. I also used a scrap piece of fencing to trellis a big potted bleeding heart vine. I made tee-pees for other plants out of bamboo that grows in my backyard.

The tomato plants are looking good so far. I'm already finding it so much easier to manage them strung up than it ever was using those tomato cages. The bleeding heart vine was easy to trellis this time of year because the leaves haven't come back yet. It will look so much more tame this time around when they do return. At first I had trouble making the tee-pees stay up, but once I got the hang of tying them together they were just fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  5:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I'm growing green onions, strawberries, and 2 varieties of tomatoes. I haven't used any commercial pesticides. Instead I have been sprinkling cinnamon around the garden to keep ants off the plants and neem and peppermint oils to get rid of aphids and other pests. I also gave the book, Montrose: Life A Garden, a read.

So far my little plants are doing well and pest free. Hopefully it will stay that way through the summer. The book happened to be tucked away in my library and was a lovely read. I really enjoyed how she told the story of her garden journey that gave insights from experience rather than just being a how-to book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  5:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn Girtler (Mtnmamakt, #8016) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“On Feb. 11 I began my healthy & clean lifestyle goal. Before the new year I knew I wanted to set a goal for getting into the best shape of my life this year, as I'm turning 35 on Feb. 12, 2021. I took January to intermittently begin eating better, including a breakfast shake and trying to eat better without sugar and carbs. I'm already gluten free, but eliminating bread has still been slightly difficult. I decided to start this journey slowly in January because I knew I needed to go easy on myself or I wouldn't stick to it. Feb. 11, I went on my first run and began a workout routine through zuzkalight.com. I ran 4x that week and decided that was a good amount of running per week. 1 mile 4x per week. I also started zuzkalight after the run instead of on off days only and then on fridays as well, working out 5x a week. I considered 3/16/20 my month mark, since I really set the 4x per week goal then. I feel great and can't wait to continue on. My new goal is to do zuzkalight 7x per week.

Setting a goal and going easy on myself if I missed a day or needed a rest made it a lot more appealing (I made up the days later in the week if one day didn't work out)! I'm feeling really good physically and at the beginning of this I also set a goal to do a 5K mud run with my husband and volunteer fire department (it was my idea to keep me accountable) and it has since gotten a couple of friends working out more than they had or keeping up with what they were already doing. I'm still eating a lot healthier and actually feel a difference on the days I don't have my shake which is full of organic veggies, some berries and almond milk.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Darla J. Armstrong, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have a stainless steel container from Lee valley. I put my compost in there in the house and then put it in a black compost container in the yard. I have used the dirt on my garden, along with the ashes from our wood stoves and manure from the horses. I'm going to have to figure out where to put my chicken doodoo so it may compost.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Darla J. Armstrong, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have a black garden garbage composter in the back and has been excellent for household garbage.

The recycle facility in my tiny community does not and will not be composting. We are a rural community and it serves 5 tiny rural communities in the area. It's excellent in recycling and even used to go through everyone's individual garbage to make sure they were recycling to the max.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Darla J. Armstrong, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have read the earth moved by Amy Stewart, even though I did not need to and Secrets to great soil by Elizabeth Stell. I learned a lot about the art of composting!

I try to lead by example and if my friends need help with their needs and if they want to start composting I'm always available.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:10:41 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (Darla J. Armstrong, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer for the vanishing bees. I have just finished Sue Monk Kidds book The Secret Life of Bees. Last summer I planted Cosmos and milkweed in my front garden.

I was delighted with hundreds of butterflies and bees in my yard. I also added 5 flowering plants in my garden that increased my harvest of fruits and vegetables in my garden. I'm going to try a kitchen garden this summer because of it.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page