Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I read Heirloom seeds book on 02/16/2020 and Manitoba Kitchens 02/22/2020. I have signed up for Farmgirl book club, but haven't started reading your books because I have not been able to access them due to Covid-19. I just noticed there is someone reading the books and might try that! I did however just complete the Secret life of Bees. It's turning out great! Both books I read for this badge helped me with one other badge and I am very excited about the book club!!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I set a goal to lose 17 pounds this year. I also set a goal to exercise twice a week.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I've never actively tried to lose weight before this. My Dr. told me that losing just 10% of my body weight would help me to be healthier. So far, I've lost 7 pounds. I do feel a little better already and have a little more energy and motivation to do the exercise. Especially these days since I'm working from home most of the time.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I researched how relaxation helps your health. I learned that relaxation and meditation can lessen or shut down the production of stress hormones, reduce blood pressure, boost energy, and help you to sleep better. These things can make feel happier and be more healthy and productive. I also did breathing exercises where I laid down, closed my eyes, breathed deeply (inhale positivity, exhale negativity), let every thought pass right on through, tensed every muscle one at a time from the top of my head to my toes, and finally released each one until I was totally relaxed.

I already knew that relaxation was good for you. I've always been a really calm, laid back person, but it was eye opening to learn all the scientifically proven things it can do for my health. That breathing exercise was super helpful in helping me to let go of stress I was holding on to after a long day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I clipped a picture of a wildflower scene from a magazine and drew my own interpretation with colored pencils.

For the first time copying a picture, at least the first time in a long time, I think it came out fairly good. I'll definitely try to keep practicing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  6:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I researched and found that there are a ton of heirlooms, especially tomatoes, that are made for planting in the south. They're heat and crack resistant. Examples are Marion, Arkansas Traveler, Homestead, and Rutgers. I found a Kindle version of the book and read it. I also planted a few of the Marion and Rutgers varieties of tomato plants that I found at the feed store.

The book was such a great reference. It inspired me to think about all the old timey flowers I'd love to plant like snapdragons, foxglove, and sweet peas...maybe next year.

So far the heirloom tomato plants are doing well. I can't wait to see how they produce!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  10:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I looked at several fine art books and took note of the things I liked best and what it was about them that I liked (the composition of the subjects and the colors in paintings). I used each child's favorite color as a jump off point, or the colors of nature for my scrapbooks.

I made 3 historical scrapbooks (one for each of my children of their early years, and one of my Mother-Daughter trips). I read Organizing and Preserving Your Heirloom Documents by Katherine Scott Sturdevant.

I shared what I learned with my crafting group and my family.

My kids were each thrilled when they got their books for Christmas. I plan to do more books for them, as I ran out of space before I ran out of materials.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  11:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I'm part of a Facebook book club so did not have a book reading lunch. However, at school we had a day to dress up as our favorite author. I dressed as my most favorite—Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have all of her novels plus recipe books and extended reeds. I've also visited most of her homes in the United States—De Smit, Mansfield, Plum Creek, and I was super-close to the one in Independence Kansas, but traffic was crazy. I placed a little library in front of the former store in Hadashville.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  11:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Going Green for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I'm always looking for different ways to clean my house and myself better. I've just completed spring cleaning my home using mainly vinegar and water solution and I will be doing all of my windows the same way. I have also invested in a new laundry and dishwasher detergent: Nellie's laundry soda and Nellie's dishwasher soda.

Everything is turning beautifully clean and fresh. Nellie's only has 4 ingredients and though they may cause skin irritation if directly you rub on your skin the clothes are getting clean and the ingredients are non toxic.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2020 :  11:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Going Green for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I posted my chat about why to use reusable bags (cowgirlup@21 is my name). Please check it out here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=90193. I'd love to know if anyone wishes to exchange reusable bags with me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2020 :  11:22:34 AM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I identified five herbs and their possible uses:
    Sage - prevents colds help with rheumatism and indigestion. It's in many teas.
    Parsley - helps with bad breath, and is a diuretic.
    Cilantro - has anti-bacterial properties.
    Thyme - good for cough, congestion, and colds.
    Basil - is an anti-inflammatory and rich in anti-oxidants.
    I have tried all of them but, eat Parsley often, especially after a meal to freshen breath.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  4:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I've grown basil and chives. I freeze dried the basil and stored it in small jars. I cut the tops off the chives with kitchen scissors and used them fresh in salads.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Georgia Fair (Mentoring Sister: Nikki Fair, Thats_Sew_Fair, #8048) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I looked at my books and recorded the information on my notebook and also looked at some birds to put on my bird wishlist.

It turned out great I found out about some new and interesting birds and what they eat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Georgia Fair (Mentoring Sister: Nikki Fair, Thats_Sew_Fair, #8048) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made my apron with my own self-drafted pattern. My mother showed me how to make a box pleat. I made 3 box pleats on my apron. My mom told me how she makes the waistband for her aprons and I made mine just like hers. I finished the raw edges by double folding them. When I finished my apron my mom said it would look nice with a pocket, so I added a pocket. I use my apron to tote my newly hatched chicks with.

I think it turned out really nice. I didn't have any troubles making it. It fits really well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“My two daughters and I went to Goodwill and bought a variety of different types of glass to use for our mosaics. We brought home our collection and smashed the dishes in our pillow cases on the driveway. After we sorted the pieces into Dixie cups, we figured out the design of our mosaics and then put them together. We made the mosaics inside 8x10 picture frames.

I think my girls liked smashing the dishes into pieces as much as they liked making their mosaic pieces! We bought the mosaic tile mortar, but decided we liked the pieces without the mortar. We plan to display them on the shelves in our family room.

It was definitely a lot harder than we thought! Although we are glad we tried something new, we all decided mosaic art is not quite our thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We are fortunate enough to have a recycling center in our town, along with recycling services that pick up our recycling at our curbside. We don't even have to sort our recycling! We do have to take our glass to the center, as it became too dangerous for our curbside service to sort.

We looked more into what can be recycled at our recycling center. We knew we were not able to recycle Christmas wrapping paper, but were reminded that we should really consider other options this year. We also realized we need to be more careful about the types of plastic we put in our recycling, since my husband thought all kinds could be recycled. Oops!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We have far more than six reusable bags that we take with us wherever we shop. We bought them several years ago, but have made more of a concerted effort to use them on a more consistent basis in the last few months. Unfortunately, we are not able to use these during the COVID-19 pandemic, but we plan to resume using them when things are normal again.

There are times we forget to use our bags; we accidentally leave them in the car or take the car that doesn't have the bags. But, by in large, we remember to take the bags most of the time at the grocery store. We are getting better at using them for other types of stores as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“We were not able to find a copy of The True History of Chocolate in our library, so we Googled it. We watched a youtube video about the history. We attached a copy of our report after watching the video.

We also sampled chocolate at our only chocolate shop in town. We talked to the shop clerks about the difference between the chocolates.

We were shocked at some of the facts, and were also glad that after all of the turmoil, we still have access to chocolate!

We decided my daughters, my son, and I prefer milk chocolate or white chocolate, and my husband is the only who likes dark chocolate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“We learned all about cocoa beans. Thank goodness someone does that work us so we can have wonderful chocolate!

I have known how to temper chocolate for a long time, and I taught the method to my daughters.

My oldest daughter and I made gluten-free fudge brownies, and a Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Ganache cake.

The gluten-free brownies were good, however, my son and husband thought the aftertaste and texture was a bit off. My whole family loved the Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Ganache cake! My daughter helped me make it and was a fantastic experience!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“My daughter and I made white chocolate ganache for our Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Ganache cake.

We made two different kinds of hot cocoa--the authentic hot cocoa and one with Nutella in it.

We made truffles—four different kinds of truffles: white chocolate, milk chocolate, almond milk chocolate, and sea salt milk chocolate. My girls invited their neighbor friends over and we feasted!

We definitely did not like the authentic hot chocolate, and everyone LOVED the Nutella kind. It was a different kind than we normally make and it will now join our favorite recipes!

My girls and the neighbors gobbled up the truffles with the almond milk chocolate truffles being the favorite. We stuck a little ball of Marzipan in the middle and everyone loved it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  5:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We are fortunate enough to have a recycling center in our town, along with recycling services that pick up our recycling at our curbside. We don't even have to sort our recycling! We do have to take our glass to the center, as it became too dangerous for our curbside service to sort.

We pay only $20 a month for the curbside service to pick up our recycling. It is sad to see that our recycling bin is smaller than some of our neighbor's trash bins! If only they recycled, too. Hopefully, after seeing our bin out on the curb week after week, they will begin to think about the advantages of recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  6:04:11 PM  Show Profile
D Percy (#8125) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I took the plunge this year! 7 beautiful Oliver Eggers arrived a while ago. They are now busy terrorizing bugs and the dog. I researched different coop styles and challenges with predators. I acquired my starter coop, but am already dreaming of the chicken palace I will build next year to add to our flock!

So far it's been great. Quarantine time has allowed me to stay home and get so many things done (Chicken care included!), and I've learned so much about raising chickens. When they start their next phase (laying eggs), I know there will be even more to learn. Meanwhile, I love to spend time with my feathered ladies and love to watch them do their thing—so much fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  6:05:14 PM  Show Profile
D Percy (#8125) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“This year is the first for my garden! Everything is a learning process of course. I've done my own maintenance on my tractor, bought and used a tiller, laid out a garden, started many batches of seeds, laid down row cloth....had 3 unexpected freezes, a tornado, and a monsoon. All of which have had unexpected impacts on my garden.

I downloaded & read the book last winter. This year, I'm proud to say that 90% of my garden are all heirloom seeds! I've got some things popping up now—corn, sunflowers, tomatoes, basil and other herbs, carrots, watermelon. A Victory garden of sorts. Looking forward to the summer feast (and learning how to save the seeds for next year!!).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  6:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I enjoy taking walks outside around my property and neighborhood, playing with my cat, and drawing/coloring. I've been doing at least one of these things everyday.

Doing these things during normal times is enjoyable, during these last couple weeks they have also been extremely helpful. When I get down because I'm too into all my thoughts and feelings I take a break to go do one of my relaxing activities and feel better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  6:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson (FungusChick, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer and re-watched the movie. I have planted Crimson Clover, Bluebonnets, and other mixed wildflowers. I also re-read the book, which is fantastic! One of my all-time favorites!

I don't remember seeing the trailer when the movie first came out so that was neat. It made me want to re-watch the movie as well as re-read the book. There are some definite disparities between the two. However, both on their own are magical. They really helped me have a calm, respectful, and fascinated mindset toward bees. The advice about not swatting and that no life-loving bee wants to sting you stuck with me too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2020 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Meg Shull (#8040) has received certificates of achievement in Outpost for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I feed my little one all natural food from Farm Dog. I had been making her food, but after a lot of food research, I decided to buy it from Farm Dog. I also use CBD oil for her health, which my vet is on board with. We've practiced this way of life for many years and she is very healthy.

I cannot physically work at a shelter, as my heart is too big and it's mentally painful for me to see homeless animals. So, in turn, I donate financially and dog food, treats, whatever they're short on every month to my local humane society. I also donate monthly to Tuff Tails Animal Rescue and Wild Heart Ranch.

Donating to animals rescues and taking care of my dog makes my heart happy!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page