Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  8:32:12 PM  Show Profile
D Percy (#8125) has received certificates of achievement in Outpost for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I did a lot of research and soul searching. I believe in managing our wildlife populations effectively (degree in this), and in the need to be self sufficient should the time come for that. I got a hunting license in my prior state, but did not get a chance to use it before I moved. So I went through it all again in my new state. This past fall, I went hunting with my neighbor, and we caught, cleaned and processed a deer.

This was not easy to watch or do. From just a clinical perspective, it took a long time (a lot of that was my learning as I'm sure he would have had it done in minutes). I learned where to cut, what to do first, how to remove skin, how to remove remaining hair, how to get different sections of meat. The meat itself turned out great—I'm fond of the backstraps in teriyaki, and the ground venison makes an awesome chili. TBD if I will actually hunt again this year. I will maintain my hunting and fishing license regardless, but I will definitely help clean and process anything he catches in the future!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  8:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wienzierl (#7997) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I made a scarf for my daughter then taught my sister how to make her own. It is a vintage pocket scarf pattern that turn out super cute!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  8:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wienzierl (#7997) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a beginner level half apron from a pattern that I modified to add old hankies to the front panel. Turned out super cute! Going to hang it in my kitchen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  1:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (tchr66, #8042) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“In my classroom, I add a word of the week to my students vocabulary list that are usually unrelated to our topic at hand. Now, not being in the classroom with them, we have allowed that habit to fall to the roadside. During the past two weeks, I've rejuvenated that habit for myself. I've enlisted the assistance of the Merriam Webster online site and used the Word of the Day there.

I've enjoyed the process. Each day, I've written the word of the day, its' part of speech and definition in my notebook. A couple words I'd heard of before. This gave me the chance to learn their correct spelling and accepted definition. As for correct spoken grammar, this is a constant effort for me to be a good example for my students. We truly are "judged by the way we speak."(An old commercial from my childhood days.)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  1:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (GinnyBelle, #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I've identified lavender, cilantro, thyme, sage, and basil. I then used Cilantro in a salad. It turned out very well. Loved the extra kick that the cilantro gave to the salad greens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile
D Percy (#8125) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I installed a shelf and 2 hanging barn style doors on my mother's bathroom and closet. Intermediate badge request to come shortly as I am redoing her entire bathroom to make it more senior friendly!

They turned out great. In general, doors can be tricky, and I've never done a barn door before. Really pleased with the effort and I have the courage to do more!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile
D Percy (#8125) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I re-did an entire bathroom. (making more senior friendly for Mom) Taking it all to the studs and completely redoing. Needed plumbing, electrical, tile, woodworking, flooring, and a lot of cursing to complete.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile
D Percy (#8125) has received certificates of achievement in Make It Easy for earning Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“My dad taught me growing up how to change the oil in things - I've been doing it for over 45 years! I lived in the city though and did not have a lot of equipment, and in certain cases it was easier to take vehicles for that kind of work that finding places to dispose of all of the liquids for easy recycling.

Fast forward to the last 18 months at the farm. I've learned full tractor maintenance (hydraulic fluids, antifreeze, etc), mower maintenance (blade sharpening, fluids, belts, etc) and this January - the replacement of the heater core in my car. A chore that involved no less than 30 hours to complete with the removal of the dashboard, steering column, and antifreeze to find and replace the core. I never thought that car (Penny) would go back together again - but she's running great now!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2020 :  10:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruth Ann Kutemeier, #4072) has received certificates of achievement in Outpost for earning Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I loved this badge. I've been making homemade organic food for most of the animals here on the farm. They love the food.

For a few years now we have been using young living oils and all natural products to take care of our animals. It took some trial and error, but in the end it worked out well. Sophie is the newest addition to our family and on April 30, 2020, she was spayed.

We took Sophie to canine good citizen training class. I enjoyed the class but it had some ups and downs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2020 :  10:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemeier (Ruth Ann Kutemeier, #4072) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“For several years now I have been working with my Aunt Mary, 92, to learn about our family and our roots. My daughter is one of the youngest in the family. We looked at the data and family history book and talked about it. I feel it went well.

Aunt Mary and I used ancestry.com and findmypast.com. We then put it together in a book for other family members to purchase. It was a great experience.

My family was so excited to get their family history books that we decided to hold a zoom party. Everyone shared what they learned about the family. We include family from Germany. It was fun and I want to have another zoom party soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2020 :  10:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“My daughter and I researched the city issue of switching from a traditional Firefighter model to a Public Safety Officer model.

We watched news segments and read articles printed in our local newspaper.

We learned more about the issue altogether. We had heard bits and pieces, but now have a much better understanding of what both sides of the issue are saying.

We also found out that one of our neighbors is on the City Council! That was a bit of surprise!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2020 :  10:47:34 AM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“We used two tree identification guides: Fandex Family Field Guide: Trees and Arbor Day Foundation What Tree Is That? A Guide to the More Common Trees Found in North America.

We identified the following trees in our yard: Paradise Apple Tree (transplant from Eurasia), Green Ash (native to Northeastern Iowa), Sugar Maple (native to Northeastern Iowa), Juniper (native), Scot’s Pine (transplant from Europe), and
Northern White Cedar (native).

It was definitely more difficult than we originally thought, but we preserved and then double-checked our work with a Picture This! app on our phones.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2020 :  10:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“We used our two Tree Guides and found a Black Willow and an Eastern Cottonwood at the public pond behind our house. It was MUCH harder to identify trees than we thought! We had to come back home and do more research. Both of these trees are native to northeastern Iowa.

We learned (through research online since the libraries are closed), that windbreaks are most effective when the trees and shrubs are planted in multiple, dense rows. The rows should have no gaps between. It is also best to plant the windbreak trees and shrubs perpendicular to the primary direction of the wind. Windbreaks can help reduce snow drifts and soil erosion, provide shade in needed areas, and cut down on the noise level of major highways. Interestingly, two of the trees we found in our yard are often used as windbreaks in Iowa; the Juniper and Northern White Cedars.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2020 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Sadie Terpstra-Schwab (Sadie Terpstra-Schwab, #8118) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“We took our tree guides out to a local reserve. We didn’t have much luck at first with identifying trees. There aren’t any fruits or nuts on trees and it is early in the season for even the leaves. But, we persevered and were able to identify some sugar maples, a cottonwood, and more green ash. It's definitely harder than we thought!

We definitely saw many trees that were too close together and some were dying. We also noticed that the tops of the trees cast so much of a shadow that many of the plants underneath of them were weak or dying. There seemed to be the same plant growing under most, so this particular plant much be able to withstand the shady spots. We also noticed that any type of pine tree had a large circle of dead grass under/around it, which we have seen before in our previous back yard and other yards.

We picked up litter while we were hiking, but thankfully, we didn’t see too much!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  1:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Davis (Sandy Davis, #8063) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I researched ways to conserve water and came up with eight that I can implement;
    1. Collect rainwater
    2. Use a dishwasher instead of hand washing
    3. Only run the dishwasher when it's full
    4. Take short showers
    5. Turn off the tap when brushing teeth
    6. Wash only full loads of laundry
    7. Use a commercial car wash that recycles water
    8. Use a water-efficient shower head

Turning off the tap while brushing your teeth is estimated to save up to 2,400 gallons of water per year. That translates to 462 gallons of water per week.

Washing only full loads of laundry would save the average family 65 gallons of water per week.

I'm surprised at how much water can be going to waste even if you think you're being careful. These are all easy things that I can implement right away to begin conserving water—a non-renewable resource.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  1:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Davis (Sandy Davis, #8063) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I've started my blog and have published eight posts. I've included pictures in all of them. I have requested to be added to GirlGab.com

My blog is https://thefarmgirlnextdoor.com. It looks great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  1:58:35 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Davis (Sandy Davis, #8063) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched and found that the following items can be recycled in my area:
paper, cardboard, metal, glass, electronics, yard waste, and household hazardous waste.

We also have a drop-off location for partially used cleaners.

There is also a composting program that households can choose to be part of.

Recycling is available to me by collecting items and then putting them in a recycling "dumpster" or I can take them to a recycling station. I will set up a home recycling center and take items to one of these locations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Davis (Sandy Davis, #8063) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I got a library card for my local, public library. The are restarting curbside service in a few days.

My TBR "pile" is listed on GoodReads. That's where I list all of my TBR books as well as record what I'm currently reading.

I read more because I keep a running list of book ideas here: goodreads.com/sandymechelle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Davis (Sandy Davis, #8063) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I have donated kitchen items that were not needed to a family just setting up their household. I continually examine how I'm using my items and if I truly need them.

In learning to cook from scratch I can see that I will need different supplies for my kitchen. I've made a list and am slowly adding items to my kitchen as I can afford them. The next item on my list is a stand mixer.

Food from scratch tastes so much better to me and I feel better when I eat it compared to pre-packaged foods. I love knowing that I have a well-stocked kitchen and can cook anything I might need.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wienzierl (#7997) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I put this button collection together by jarring up all those little packets of extra buttons You get when you buy clothes. I've been throwing them in a tin for decades. Also, cut some buttons off of my husband’s flannels that are in no condition to be worn anymore. I stripped the shirts to make rag rugs out of them later.

This is decorative enough to display in my sewing room and now makes it really convenient if I need a button.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wienzierl (#7997) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“Hi all! I've been cross-stitching for a long time. I got both my daughters a little cross stitch kit for Christmas and one of them picked it up. I taught her how to do it and gave her pointers on things that can happen to cause you problems and how to prevent them.
    1). Don’t let you floss get twisted.
    2). Don’t let your floss tail get frayed.
    3). If you get a single loop knot, pull it the opposite direction and it usually comes right out.
    4). if you get a double loop, you probably weren’t correcting numbers 1-3.

She is now building an inventory of completed projects to start up an Etsy store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:38:55 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (GinnyBelle #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I found a pattern I had bought awhile back but never made. Then I dug through all the leftover fabric scraps that my momma gives me when she's done and managed to find enough mostly matching material to piece together all the parts!

I also wear aprons in the kitchen all the time. My momma has made me several, and a one is purchased.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with it! I grew up watching my momma sew, but I've always been half scared of my sewing machine. I've used it for little things here and there, but nothing like this. My seams are not straight, and some things I had to modify to get to match up, but none of that really shows once its on. It took me roughly six hours, but I feel very pretty with it on, so it was definitely worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (GinnyBelle #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I already had a tree guide for North America that I acquired at a library sale. I used it to identify our Maple tree as a Silver Maple, and our other tree as a Red Mulberry. We also have a Belle of Georgia peach tree growing in our yard. The Maple and Mulberry tree are both native to Indiana, but the peach tree is not, so I decided to do a bit of digging into its origin.

I learned that my Belle of Georgia tree originated from seeds produced by a Chinese Cling peach in 1857. Lewis Rumph wanted to name the peach Virginia after his wife, but was concerned that the credit would go to the state of Virginia rather than his home state of Georgia. Instead, he chose the name Belle in honor of Virginia's mother. I really enjoyed looking that up and was pleased that it's origin had such a fun story behind it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (GinnyBelle #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“First I built my bean teepee out of some bamboo sticks strung with jute. I thought it would be pretty easy, but I kept getting my string tangled. Haha!

Next I built a trellis for my husband's tomato plant. I found some wood from an old ladder that broke for the side pieces, then braced it by screwing on scraps I found in the garage. The crowning glory was an old wooden level that no longer worked but looked pretty neat across the top. Then I strung it with jute to fill in the gaps.

I was pretty pleased with both of them, over all. I'm not much of a gardener, so this is all very new for me! As I said, the bean teepee was pretty straightforward and turned out fine, other than tangled string. I am looking forward to using it.

The trellis was fun to make and has a pretty neat look to it, I think. I really like the level, I think it gives it character. I will admit my husband had to help me hammer it in to the ground, though. We had to use a big sledgehammer and I was having trouble with the angle/weight.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Annette Widmark, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I researched quilting. Bought a pattern at craft warehouse and fabric for a table mat. I cut the pieces hand sewed the pieces together quilted it and sewed a binding around it turned it under and slip stitched the binding to the back. I gave it as a gift to a friend. I think it turned out pretty good for a first try. It's a little hard to make all the seams match up.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page