Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2020 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Shamlin-Hansen (Tammy Shamlin-Hansen, #8130) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“All taps inside the house are checked; toilet float changed out. I keep an egg timer in shower to set for shorter shower use. A bucket is in the shower and collected to capture some water to water oleanders. A bucket is used in the kitchen to collect water from rinsing off produce and used to water house plants. Sink faucet is turned off while brushing teeth and flossing. also while washing face in the am. I roughly estimate saving 58 gallons a week.

It's taken a little work getting in the habit to remember to get the bucket in the shower. Gently reminding the hubby to get on board with the program. Every drop saved is precious. I planted drought tolerant plants outside for landscaping, which is nice too. It also helps the humming birds and bees. This is a ongoing merit badge. A good lifestyle change.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2020 :  12:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Shamlin-Hansen (Tammy Shamlin-Hansen, #8130) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have curbside recycling. We sort glass, plastics, paper, aluminum cans, and cans without food. Printed wrapping paper and foam cups/products are not eligible for recycling.
Recycling Center takes all kinds of metals, glass has to be sorted by colors, plastic milk bottles have to have the lids on them as well as plastic drinking bottles and aluminum cans.

This has been a long time practice. It's nice to be able to continue to reduce waste to the environment.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  10:26:33 AM  Show Profile
Donna Rowe (MrsNoah, #6059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I sew constantly while I care for my mom. Her respite care place loves my fun lap quilts for the residents. Blessings for the maker (me!) and the recipients.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  10:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Julie Kram, (Julie Kram, #3733) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I earned this level of merit badge by continuing to help on the dairy farm where I started this category at beginner. The family had to be out of town for an event and I stayed at the dairy for them for the day. I fed the new calves, monitored the milking parlor, brought in cows that were new and did not have their milking routine yet, cleaned, shoveled and fed the other 300 head that are on site.

Turned out FABULOUS!! I told the family that I would be willing to help again anytime. Their son is getting married out of state and I will be spending four days at the farm to oversee everything for them while they're out of town (which will fulfill my expert level in this category).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  10:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Miranda Pace, (Kitsch_kutie, #7800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a full apron with some denim (old denim that came from an ancient stash of my grandmother's!), some ticking, and some muslin. So. Many. Ruffles. I don't think I've ever done so much gathering.

Other than the bib not *quite* fitting the girls (this was a reprint of a pattern from the '40s), it turned out beautiful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  09:06:57 AM  Show Profile
Charlene Gravely, (Charlene Gravely, #7933) has received certificates of achievement in Garden Gate for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Herbs Merit Badge!

“I identified five herbs and tried them all! Love trying new herbs in cooking and tinctures!

I started an herb garden. I harvested and used the herbs in different recipes and beverages. I also made some medicinal teas out of the herbs.

Love working with herbs, it's now a hobby I'll continue to grow in knowledge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  09:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Charlene Gravely, (Charlene Gravely, #7933) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I'm working on a journal. I put three community organizations in it and went to volunteer for all three! This is a great opportunity to help people in need. I work the register, go shopping for things needed to run the Thrift store and I put out merchandise donated to sell. This helps the community in many ways. It gives scholarships, funds missions, and helps women in distress. I love this position still helping out at Thrift two Saturdays a month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  09:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Charlene Gravely, (Charlene Gravely, #7933) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I'm continuing my work at Thrift two Saturdays a month. I learned how the store accepts volunteers and got a few others to help out. There is alot to do in this store—sort clothes, toys, price everything, clean and decorate the store, and pick up/unload donations. I also chose to help Fostering Roots in our community. I make freezer meals for Foster families in our community and put them in a freezer for the families to pick up as needed.

While volunteering to help in the store, I work at the cash register so I get to meet a lot of interesting people. I also go shopping now for what we need to run the store such as coffee, treats, register tape, elastic bands, cleaning stuff, etc. I love this position.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Charlene Gravely, (Charlene Gravely, #7933) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I added five needs in our community that I could help. I also asked the thrift store I work at to help Operation Christmas Child by donating items to fill boxes for kids at Christmas.

I make freezer meals for Foster families in our community and put them in a community freezer for the families to pick up as needed.

We are now helping to fill 1300 shoe boxes for kids! Still working cash register 5 hours for two Saturdays a month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  3:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto, (JoanneMS58, #7580) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I've received a library card from my El Segundo library, I also have a card for the Los Angeles library. Because of Covid, it is easier for me to reserve from El Segundo, a neighboring neighborhood.

I've read The Secret Life of bees and have a small list ready to go. I've also joined the Facebook Group Farmgirl Book Club.

While I do have a list of books to read in the upcoming future, I would like to continue checking out books from the library so it's difficult to photograph mile stack
Next on my list is The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs.
I will photograph my at home stack.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  3:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto, (JoanneMS58, #7580) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I've researched and set up feeders, two bird baths, and multiple humming bird feeders in my yard. I have observed many different types of sparrows. I have also observed finches. So many hummingbirds! I've even seen a hawk—that’s when the birds become very still and quiet.

I absolutely LOVE it. I plan to work on the Intermediate and Expert level of this badge.
Bird watching and caring for birds go hand in hand with my love of gardening.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  3:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto, (JoanneMS58, #7580) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I've organized my kitchen storage containers and kept only those I truly use. I passed on to others those I didn’t use and recycled odds and ends. I punched plastic holders to help me to more efficiently use freezer bags for storage.

It turned out fantastically! I'm actually using items that were buried in my cupboards before and my family is benefiting from my surplus.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  3:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto, (JoanneMS58, #7580) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“Made a kitchen list, added items that I needed to perfect and help me be more efficient in my tiny kitchen. I shopped for items that would help me complete my kitchen and donated items to family that I did not use, I also donated items to the Salvation Army Center.

It worked great! My kitchen is now so easy to work in. I now find myself wanting to go into the kitchen and try new recipes. Makes for a happy husband.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto, (JoanneMS58, #7580) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the entire documentary Vanishing Bees

I have many bee friendly plants and fruit trees in my yard, some that I have recently added.

I read the book Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

I loved the book and found the documentary alarming. I plan to act with more care of what products I use in my garden and continue to plant with bees in mind.

I'm almost finished with the requirements for the intermediate level of this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2020 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Julie Kram, (Julie Kram, #3733) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I earned my expert level for this category by "living" at the dairy farm for four days while the family flew from Michigan to South Dakota for the wedding of their son/brother. The dairy is located about an hour away from my home so I pulled my little camper to the location and stayed on site.

What an awesome experience!!! I did morning chores and evening chores both for all of the days. There were bottle babies to feed and and medicine to give. I monitored the milking robots and the new cows who didn't have the routine yet. The dairy milks about 100 head around the clock, seven days per week. I shoveled manure, cleaned stalls, hauled feed, fed the chickens and the dog and oversaw the place while they were gone. I've since received a thank you card from the family and have been invited back any time. I couldn't be happier to have helped such a wonderful family and made friends for life!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith, (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Threw out all my soaps and cleaners that are not "green". I'm using my cardboard boxes for new flower bed weed controls. Cardboard really great for repelling weeds and keeping moisture in the soil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith, (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made my own laundry detergent and I'm using vinegar and baking soda to clean.

The laundry soap doesn't work that well. Turned some of my whites yellow. The vinegar and soda work well with about anything.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith, (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I’ve been using bags for three years now. They work great except now some grocery stores won’t let you use them. So they put them in their bags and I transfer them to mine in the car and use the bags for making floor blankets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Rae Brewer, (Kindred Soul, #8239) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched my city's website to find out what can and can't be recycled. I thought the city would accept more items at the recycling center, but was surprised to find that it's the same items that they collect curbside. We have to buy special recycling bags and everything can be placed in the same bag. I learned that we should not include the caps to the plastic bottles! I also learned that we don't recycle juice pouches, nor plastic grocery bags. And, I didn't realize that all containers should be washed out. I assumed that was just a hygienic issue, but apparently it can contaminate the entire load.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:28:18 AM  Show Profile
Rae Brewer, (Kindred Soul, #8239) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“Since we have plans to travel to Prague next year, I chose the Czech language. I researched how to count to 10 and how to say "hello".

Well...it wasn't as easy as I thought. I had to listen to the pronunciation of three and four several times and I STILL have trouble saying those numbers! The Foreign Service Institute categorizes Czech as a Level IV language, which means it's very hard to learn & it takes over 1000 hours to attain a basic conversational level.

I posted a list of the numbers and greetings near my computer and at the dinner table so that I can retain what I learned.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Rae Brewer, (Kindred Soul, #8239) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I already knew 5-6 of the Beginner questions for this challenge. but I looked them up just the same, to be sure that my memory served me correctly. Of course, I also researched the answers to the remaining questions.

I thought I knew what the Constitution did for the US, but I found that it actually did a lot more than I thought. At this particular time in our country, it felt good to revisit these topics and to learn those answers that I didn't know.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Rae Brewer, (Kindred Soul, #8239) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“I read a book about rocks and minerals to learn the difference, as well as the characteristics of minerals and the types of rocks. Then I used a DK Pocket Guide to learn about all the different types of minerals and learned some uses that I hadn't known before.

I fell in love with rocks and minerals all over again. As a child, I remember having a collection of both and my oldest daughter has been collecting them. After pouring over the beautiful pictures in the DK guide, I want to start my own collection!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:53:42 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion, (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“During a road trip through South-west QLD in July, my husband and I visited territory that we had never explored before. Three new places that we hiked were Blady Top Lookout at Quilpie, Minerva National Park (Skyline Lookout) and Cania Gorge National Park.
Queensland's State bird is the Brolga and the floral emblem is the Cooktown Orchid. We don't have a specific State tree, but we do have a faunal emblem which is the koala.
We have recently purchased a fire pit for our backyard. It is made from old plough wheels welded in a bowl shape. I have been lighting our indoor fireplace for many years, so found making a campfire reasonably easy. I have made several safe campfires in our fire pit now. We are on fairly strict fire restrictions at the moment, so a defined area with cleared surrounds is absolutely necessary. Permits are required for larger fires.

The Cooktown Orchid became the QLD State floral emblem in 1959, during celebrations to mark the State's centenary. We did not see it on any of our hikes because it's only found in the tropical northern regions of the State. Similarly, the Brolga (our State Bird) is mainly found in the tropical north. It has featured on the QLD Coat of Arms since 1977. I have seen one in the wild on a previous trip out to Birdsville (far western QLD). They are a beautiful elegant bird and are known for their dancing performances. As for the faunal emblem, we are fortunate to have quite a number of koalas in our own area of Ravensbourne. If they are not always seen, they are certainly heard during mating season when they make a loud grunting noise up in the trees.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:55:01 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion, (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“We have always had a first aid kit in the bathroom and in both vehicles. My husband's vehicle is a work issued ute, so his employer has provided both a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. Since researching for this badge, I have added a first aid kit to the work shed/garage (yes, my husband is always injuring himself out in the man cave) and I have updated the first aid kit in the bathroom with some extra supplies. I don't have a first aid kit in the kitchen, because our bathroom is right near the kitchen, so the first aid kit in there services both areas very well. I'm glad to have added the first aid kit to the man cave—it came in handy when my husband injured himself while using the band saw.

We check our smoke detectors in the house every April. April 1 is the day designated for all households across the state to test smoke alarms, change batteries or replace broken devices. Since 2017, under Queensland's new legislation, all faulty, damaged or expired devices must be replaced with a photoelectric system.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion, (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“Rhythm, in music, can be defined as the placement of sounds in time. It incorporates the elements of accent, metre and tempo. Time signatures are the symbols used to identify and describe the metre in a piece of music. Rhythm is music's pattern in time. Whatever other elements a given piece of music may have (eg patterns in pitch or timbre), rhythm is one indispensable element of all music. Rhythm can exist without melody, as in the drumbeats of primitive music, but melody cannot exist without rhythm. The melody (or tune) is made up of musical sounds in agreeable succession or arrangement. The key and scale of the piece of music help identify which notes to use for a melody. The harmony is the sound of 2 or more notes heard simultaneously. The main difference between harmonies and melodies is that a harmony builds upon an already existing melody. A harmony needs a melody to exist.

I chose Miles Davis "So What" (Jazz), The Cars "Tonight She Comes" (Rock), and Yothu Yindi "Treaty" (Pop, New Wave, Indigenous Australia).

"So What" is written in 4/4 time signature in the key or A minor. The melody is a call in the bass, followed by a response from the piano and horns. The harmonic simplicity of "So What" gives the instrumentalists a certain freedom in their improvisations not found in other forms of jazz music. The differing creative approaches are evident in each of the different solos.

"Tonight She Comes" is also in 4/4 time, but it is a diatonic song in the key of F Major. It has a vocal melody with a guitar solo and harmonised by piano.

"Treaty" is a song in Gumatj, one of the Yolngu Matha dialects and language of the Yolngu people of Arnhem Land in Northern Australia. The timbres of the song include the balanda rock ensemble of electric guitars, keyboard and drumkit, and on occasion balanda voices. The Yolgnu sounds include the lead singer's vocal quality and the traditional instruments of bilma (ironwood clapsticks) and yidaki (digeridoo). The time signature is 4/4 and the key is F sharp minor.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page