Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2020 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“I chose to research the classical composer, Frederic Chopin and French pianist, Richard Clayderman. Both musicians are Romantic pianists who studied and performed from an early age. Chopin composing his first piece at age 7. Clayderman states that "I admire people who have the ability to remain humble, who do not boast, and who are able to speak about their career and success with humility". Perhaps this is why he admired the work of Chopin so much. Despite his worldwide popularity, Chopin was only thought to have given approx 30 public performances, preferring the more intimate atmosphere of the Paris Salon. Chopin was the inventor of piano Ballades, and Clayderman played the famous "Ballad Pour Adeline" to raise to stardom.

I shared a more comprehensive comparison of these musicians on the Sisterhood chatroom under Merit Badge Chit Chat - Intermediate music badge. I have encouraged my fellow farm girls to listen to Richard Clayderman's "Ballad Pour Adeline" and his beautiful piece "Lady Di".”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  12:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I don’t use a dryer haven’t for years. I have removed my carpet and am in the process of replacing them with wood from our property. I’ve helped a neighbor clean out her house of old lead paint cans and also with putting up her clothesline. I have many garden books that have been donated to the 4-H program and library.

I'm looking forward to finishing replacing my carpet with wood floors. It will be awesome.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  12:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Sandy Japhet (S-Japhet, #8158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I have a love for heirloom tomatoes. This year I was able to save seeds from Beefsteaks, Yellow Brandy Wines, and Mortgage Buster that grew last year.

They all grew really well and I was able to give plants to my girlfriends. All of my garden was started from seeds and over 75% is Heirloom. LOVE IT!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  12:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Christina Burnham, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I picked out different fabrics that I felt would go together well. With the guidance of a friend who knew how to quilt I cut the fabrics leaving my 1/4 inch seam allowances. Before putting together the placemat I arranged the cut out pieces in different orders until I came up with an order I liked. I proceeded to piece them together. After the piecing was done we stretched out the top, the batting and backing and my friend taught me how to hand quilt. Afterwards we put on the binding. We made a set of 4 placemats.

It was a fun project but I sure did prick my finger a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2020 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Miranda Pace (Miranda Pace, #7800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I made a pillow! It has a Scottish thistle, and the name I went by in the Highland games—Bonnie Wee Cowgirl.

I made a couple of mistakes. I think a fern leaf is missing some fill stitch, and some of my French Knots did not turn out like I wanted, BUT I have never done them!! I've wanted to learn for a LONG time, and the more I did, the better I got!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Susan Wich (#7876) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I found reusable shopping bags that fit in the shopping cart, and they have inserts that hold them open so they can be filled while they sit in the cart! I have used them quite a bit, until COVID came and stores preferred you to not bring your own bags with you. Now that things may be getting more normal, I will be using them again!

I also found a set of 9 different sized reusable bags for produce. They are really handy for my Farmer's Market trips! They are very useful and they are all washable as well!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Susan Wich (#7876) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I read both the books about earthworms. I also started a compost pile. I chose to go with a piece of fencing set up in a circle, and adding my kitchen waste to that. I have previously tried using different compost bins that were supposed to speed up the process, but have not had great luck with them.

The books were fascinating! I'm contemplating setting up a worm bin, but right now I'm not sure where I would put it. So far, the compost bin is working well. I'm going to add more leaves to it later today. We will see how it turns out this spring, when I need compost for my veggie garden!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Susan Wich (#7876) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I've been using the square foot gardening method and growing organic veggies for a few years. I've not used pesticides in at least the last 6 years, but have relied on picking off what I could find of the pest species. I've looked at companion planting as a form of pest control but haven't implemented it yet; and this year I did use some Neem oil—more on that below.
I read the recommended book—I love the illustrations and was wanting more of those! The book itself was interesting, but the prospect of gardening on that scale really sounds daunting!

I usually have good crops of what we plant. This year I used Neem oil to control a recently introduced invasive species—the spotted lantern fly. The larvae were all over my spaghetti squash plants, and since we don't want them here, I declared war. They jump, so the spray seemed the way to go. My original plan was to use insecticidal soap, but the store was out of it. Hopefully i can get on them sooner next year and do what I can to reduce their populations. The tomatoes were late this year—we had a longer cool period in the early summer so they didn't set and ripen as soon as they usually do. But now I have plenty of green tomatoes to try some recipes! The photo is some of the harvest from a year or so ago—I forgot to take any this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“As an ER nurse, I am required to complete BLS (Basic Life Support), ALS (Advanced Life Support) and PALS (Paediatric Advanced Life Support) classes every 12 months. My most recent classes were BLS & ALS on 30 April 2020.

In addition to keeping up to date with my classes, I've shared a post on the Farmgirl Connection Chatroom under Merit Badge Chit Chat, entitled "Restart a Heart" day. 16 October is"Restart a Heart" day which is a global initiative to raise awareness and educate communities about CPR and AEDs. What a great segue into having a conversation about the importance of first-aid training!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I am a registered nurse with specific experience in the ER and PACU (Post anaesthetic Care Unit). It is a requirement for us to have BLS (basic life support), ALS (advanced life support), and PALS (pediatric advanced life support) updated every 12 months. I've been attending these classes for over 16 years. For the past 7 years, I've been a BLS instructor in my workplace, training other nursing staff, operational staff and administrative staff in CPR and use of the defibrillator. I last completed the Code Blue Resource Person training on 29 April 2020.

During the height of the COVID pandemic, staff with ER or ICU experience were asked to up-skill in ventilator training. I'm currently working in the PACU, but attended several workshops to increase my ventilator knowledge. To relieve the staff from ER and ICU, we in the PACU also took on the role of the Code Blue team within our hospital. This means we attended any medical emergencies within our facility.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I researched the recommended "Survival Plans" for the specific emergencies that are most likely to occur in our area, these being bush fires and summer storms/flooding.

Preparation of property is vital. This includes: trim trees & remove excess ground fuels and combustible materials (long grass, dead leaves, branches), clean and maintain gutters, check roof condition for rust, holes or water entry points, fit shutters or metal screens to windows, secure outdoor furniture or items that could be picked up by wind, clear yard of debris that could block water flow, install water hoses around the property to defend from bush fire, display a prominent house or lot number in case it's required in an emergency, ensure there is access to your property for fire trucks, check that you have sufficient personal protective clothing and equipment, check the first aid kit is fully stocked, make sure you have appropriate insurance for your home and vehicles, find out if there is a neighbourhood safe place, secure pets and provide water, turn on garden sprinklers for 30 minutes before the bush fire arrives, tune in to warnings and monitor local radio, websites or social media for updates, review and update emergency kit regularly.

Unfortunately, we had a bush fire close to our home last year and had opportunity to practice our evacuation plan. We are now clear on what items to put straight in the car (we had our cars packed for about a week as the fire was surrounding us). We were able to put sprinklers up on to the roof ready to hose down if needed. We cleared excess vegetation from around the house and cleared the gutters. We were fortunate that the fire remained about 1 km from our house, but the opportunity to practice our survival plan was valuable.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  1:45:24 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Naprstek (Julyrain, #8231) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“To begin, I spent the first part of a morning removing all cleaning products that did not have the green clean seal of approval. I created the new mission statement that our household is pledging to uphold for all our sakes in this day and age. Making my green clean journal where I will swap ideas and recipes that can be passed to others. My newly purchased book of green clean ideas will be my companion in adjusting the house into this new way of healthy living.

First few days of using new green products were very easy to adjust to using and it made the house smell so natural and less chemical. Learned a lot from Green Housekeeping by Christina Strutt and past MaryJanesFarm magazine articles. Also noticed this past week the green products last longer in use. Made a small gift basket of green to our elderly neighbor next door who has been gracious in giving me fresh lavender.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (citychick03, #8229) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept a Gratitude Journal for 30 days and I read The Book Of Awesome, one entry per day.

I really enjoyed keeping the journal, it was fun to find little gratitudes throughout my day. I'm enjoying the book as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Cathi Carpenter (Picturemommy, #8208) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected more than six reusable bags for shopping! Truth be told I love them! I have them in the trunk of my car. I have some of the front seat of my car and I always have one or two hanging on the door knob that leads to my garage to remind me to take them every trip I go on.

It has been going great! I find than when I make sure I have them around in places that I would be in my car, my garage and I even have some in my locker at work when I know I’m gonna be running an errand after my shift, it makes it easy to remember to go green!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2020 :  2:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Cathi Carpenter (Picturemommy, #8208) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I actively journaled every day one item that I was grateful for in my gratitude journal. I also read every day from The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. When I journaled in my gratitude journal, I used his book as a format for my daily gratitude. I looked for the simple things that happen in the course of the day, something sometimes very small that meant quite a lot or at the very least made me very happy. Sometimes it was a long phone call with a friend that lives far away sometimes it was a compliment that came unsolicited from our son. I’ve been meaning meaning to start a gratitude journal for a while this was exactly the jumpstart I needed and I plan to completely continue!

As I said it’s gone really well. I continue to write in my gratitude journal, I continue to read from The Book of Awesome and I’m even going to buy the follow up book. Every day at the end of the day I have to sit and think about what happened today what happened that made me smile… What happened that made me feel grateful… Sometimes it takes a little while to think of something and sometimes it comes to me very quickly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2020 :  1:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I chose wheat as my common food allergen. (I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy when I was about 2 yrs old. Celiac disease was unknown then. While I outgrew the allergy, I remain sensitive to wheat.)

For the past several months, I have been steadily removing wheat from my kitchen and my family has been eating wheat free for about a week. The easiest way to remove wheat as an added ingredient has been to either make things by scratch, or buy gluten free.

Other than breads, they really haven't noticed a difference.

I learned to make my own flour blends based on the type of cooking I will be doing. Bake goods have a separate blend from stove top cooking. The stove top blend has the same taste and texture as flour and was the easiest change to make. Baking has taken longer to get a blend that has a palatable texture. I'm still experimenting with the different flours and plan to make my own granola next.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  10:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Leslie Demarco (#8254) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I went to an outdoor store and got a fishing pole and some hooks and some line. I went on YouTube and found videos to help me learn to make the 5 knots for the beginning badge. I’m very excited for the Intermediate level and have already started to research. When spring comes, I've researched where I can catch and release so I can start practicing. My goal is to fish on a camping trip out west in a river!!!

It went well! The knots were not as difficult as I thought they’d be. Just handling the line took the most practice!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  09:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I researched the birds native to our area on a website called ebird.org. It gives a list of birds native to your area and the frequency of sitings. I identified 21 birds that I have seen in our backyard, but added another 20 to my wishlist. Now that I've viewed the pictures and a description of each bird, I'll be on the look-out for them.

The birds I've identified on my wishlist include: bar-shouldered dove, shining bronze-cuckoo, sacred kingfisher, dollarbird, green catbird, regent bowerbird, white-throated treecreeper, variegated fairywren, superb fairywren, Lewen's honeyeater, scarlet myzomela, silvereye, noisy friarbird, spotted pardalote, white-browed scrubwren, large-billed scrubwren, brown thornbill, brown gerygone, black-faced cuckooshrike, and the varied triller.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  5:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Janice Carey (Cranberryrose55, #8128) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I've maintained a worm bin for 3 months. I've read and own The Earth Moved. I checked out from the library Worms Eat My Garbage to know better how to keep worms.

I've been able to harvest worm castings. I will be adding a third of the castings to the 2/3 potting mix because it makes strong stems on my tomato seeds that I grow in the spring. I've raised enough worms that I was able to give some away to help another person start her bin.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Janice Carey (Cranberryrose55, #8128) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We prepared a coop for chickens. In May 2020, we purchased 2 Spotted Sussex, 2 Black Marans, and 2 Ameraucanas. They're not laying yet. The chicks all turned out to be hens. (We had no surprise roosters. Roosters are not allowed where we live.) We raised them on organic chick starter from Modesto Milling. https://modestomilling.com/

I'm grateful that we did a lot of research. The fires this year drove predators down into neighborhoods. I had double wired the coop with chicken wire (inside layer) and avian wire on the outside layer. I dug down a foot and half and lined the trench with wire and covered the wire with broken concrete on top of the wire, then backfilled with soil. A Bobcat breached the wire but couldn't get the hole wide enough to get through. The coyote dug but couldn't get in. The pullets are getting closer and closer to laying, and I can't wait for fresh eggs!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  5:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Janice Carey (Cranberryrose55, #8128) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“The five herbs I identified are lemon verbena, lemon balm, lemongrass, mint, and stevia. I experimented with making teas. It was fun to add herbs to store-bought black tea and but also made my very own herbal iced tea with mint and a small bit of lemon verbena. It takes a large pot, boiling water, and stuffing down the herbs so the pot is stuffed with herbs. Do not boil herbs on heat—only pour boiling water over them. Then chill.

Experimenting with herbs has turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun. I like to take 1-3 lemon verbena leaves when juicing fruit, like juicing some lemon and apple: It adds the lemon verbena flavor to my juice. Just know a little goes a long way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  5:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Janice Carey (Cranberryrose55, #8128) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I created a container herb garden, while I planted many herbs, the 2 herbs for this badge, of which I am growing, are feverfew and sage.

I read that feverfew lowers the number of migraines sufferers have, so I decided to try to grow it. I eat a flower every few days. (They taste especially bitter and are strongly flavored. Definitely not a taste treat!) As preventive, however, it has lowered my number of migraines this year. However, please do check on the internet for contraindications BEFORE you try it. The sage I grew seasoned my Thanksgiving turkey and dressing. It was enjoyable to walk to the container herb garden and pick the sage herb for seasoning the dinner.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Janice Carey (Cranberryrose55, #8128) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“The 3 additional herbs are Provence Lavender, German Thyme, and Rosemary. I harvested lavender for making lavender muslin bags for throwing into the dryer so sheets smell of lavender, the German thyme is for cooking; for example, a French peasant soup made with chicken broth, and the rosemary I used on a small wreath to make a cooking wreath. For gifts, as an MJF Urban Farm Chicks Chapter Leader, I sent herbal gifts to our group.

I planted 2 lavenders; however, while 1 lavender grew really well, the other lavender had parts of the stem die. Lavender Dryer Sachets work well. The website used: https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/herbs/diy-lavender-dryer-sachets. The German thyme is getting woody: I'm going to cut it back in the spring for some new growth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2020 :  5:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Janice Carey (Cranberryrose55, #8128) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I've been working on strength exercises. I'm doing 3 sets of 5 different arm exercises using a medium-weight green band shoved into the door frame for 20 reps each exercise; the frequency of these exercises is every other day. After each set, I lift 5-pound weights doing a 15 count for Triceps Kickback, Lateral Raise, and Bicep Curls. https://www.healthline.com/health/dumbbell-exercises-for-arms#triceps-exercises

I'm not having the neck and shoulder pain that I used to have. My quality of life has improved. As of the end of last week, I was adding one more set of band and dumbbells in the morning and continuing the 3 sets of band and dumbbells in the evening. I'm definitely excited to make this a lifetime habit. I'm in my 60's, and this is helping me get my strength back! It is also protecting me from my back going out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2020 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Sandra McCarter (Sandra McCarter, #7766) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“When my mom died many years ago, I received her cookbooks and recipe box. I finally went through them before Thanksgiving as was remembering a recipe that she made when I was a child. I found it and made it. However something was missing on the written card as it was old it was hard to read. I called my Aunt Nancy who was my mom's sister and only living relative now to see if she remembered this recipe and ingredients. She did and was able to tell me the missing amount of the ingredient. It then turned out great just as I remembered when I made it again.

It turned out great after getting the rest of the recipe from my Aunt. It made me miss my mom but was wonderful to remember her making this every year as a child at Thanksgiving and Christmas.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page