Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  4:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (kristin sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I participated in the cherrywood challenge for Princess Diana when I got the fabrics for my birthday. https://cherrywoodfabrics.bigcartel.com/challenges

This fiber project was unlike anything I've ever done before and it was certainly more ambitious than I'd intended!!

I've spent HUNDREDS of hours on this project. I'm breaking it down to satisfy all levels of this badge.

25 hours was spent in just researching the topic because i could only use pink & the pinks that came with the challenge. It was a challenge finding four different outfits of Princess Diana's that could be used after coming up with a design. I went back and forth between dresses and design and how I would execute the design.

Part of what I had to do after settling on dresses, design & execution, was make the fabrics so they wouldn't run.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  4:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (kristin sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I decided to create a four panel piece of Princess Diana's more famous pink outfits. One of her very first notable outfits was a bright fuchsia sweater with llamas.

I decided to make my first block that sweater. The rules of the challenge are that you must use the fabric. You can do creative things on top of it, but use of the fabric is important.

I was fortunate to have found an old knitting machine pattern that gave me number of lines or I don't know how much more time it would have taken me to come up with my own pattern.

I had a terrible time trying to get a way to re-create the sweater knit. I first attempted to use dissolvable aida, but with an area larger then the aida, it was not going on straight.

So I bought a larger aida used some really wicked interfacing and fused the two. The interfacing held the aida in place BUT you had to punch through it for EVERY SINGLE HOLE!!

In addition, because I couldn't see the holes, I had to use a light box to pre-punch the holes in the aida before I could apply my stitches.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (kristin sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“There were 3 pinks and a white. As I explained in at the Intermediate level, the darkest pink became the llama sweater. The medium pink is a pleated pink & red hat by Philip Somerville. light pink became a Gianni Versace suit similar to a Chanel suit. White was an easy, easy choice but an extremely difficult execution—her pearl Elvis dress.

Oh mylanta!! The first hurdle to over come was the iron. Mom's quilting iron DOES NOT like me and spit up orange on my very white fabric 3 times!

Next hurdle was to somehow create the collar of the jacket yet be able to sew to the others with the pearls on. You can hardly sew it together with the pearls in the seem so I decided to do the body beading and do the collar after I assembled the white block. Just figuring out the seams took numerous attempts.

Let's talk about random. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make something random. I can tell you - damn hard!! The beading on this dress is random. Look closely at her in the dress (http://dianalegacy.com/facts-why-princess-diana-was-a-record-breaking-royal-bride/princess-diana-wears-her-elvis-dress-in-hong-kong-photo-c-getty-images/). Those pearls are not in any order.

There are different sizes & sequins. I started with the sequins, then went to the larger pearls and finished with smaller before starting the collar.

I had a terrible time with the collar, the beads would look well positioned but then i would end up with gaps. I did luck out in the fact that the weight of the pearls pulled the fabric away from the white back to make it appear more like that stand up collar.

I spent months beading way more then 100 hrs!! I suspect the entire project took about 300 hours.

The contest was delayed from july until December 31, due to covid (thankfully!) because it took me that long to get this done. We were working on assembly until the afternoon of dec 31st but we got it submitted. Now we just have to wait & hope we made the cut.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  4:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (kristin sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“While I was cleaning up, straightening up and re-organizing my UFO tote after a big project, I came across one that I thought "I'm going to experiment just to get rid of this "minky" fabric".

After my mom made me one "minky" re-useable Swiffer pad, I discovered it really didn't work all that well.

I hypothesized that if I created more openings in the fabric nap, I might have a better chance of collecting more dust bunnies. So I did a couple going parallel to the front & back and a couple that made diamond shapes. I used up some ugly orange fabrics for re-usable Swiffer duster pads. I had also purchased some chenille scraps so I decided to make a couple of those as well.

I had purchased some very nice sized bags that I used as tool box and medicine cabinet in my purse, but they had gotten really old and had started shedding the naugahyde skin off in my purse. So I salvaged the zippers to sewed them into new cotton fabric.

My mother was supposed to just finish those off after I had to leave one day but discovering them in my UFO tote, meant I got to finish, and I did.

I was on a tear!! so I then found some canvas I had squirreled away. When my mom got her long arm quilting machine, she cut down the length size of it so there were these pieces of scrap canvas from shortening the started fabric.

I had completed a quilt project with fabric I really liked, and had enough left that I could do something fun with it. So I made the canvas into some fun tote bags.

The swiffer dusters are still being evaluated. One problem is that they don't have a coating that makes them "staticky" like the disposable product, but I just sprayed a fine water mist on it and it improved the pick up!

The purses are different sizes which certainly fits my purse better. I love having my toolbox and medicine cabinet back!

I had a ball doing the bags. I serged them to give them more strength. I added decorative stitches on the handles to again increase strength of the handles. The top hem which is serged off, is also sewn down with a decorative stitch. Nothing is moving that, which is unfortunate because I put the handles on wrong. But I'm not ripping out decorative stitching that will ruin my fabric and give me a headache! I decided that is going to be where I store my sisterhood stuff & put my badges!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:03:53 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“This was a fun project. I looked in the Ideabook and realized I had a piece of ornamental fencing in the scrap pile. SO it took a while but I reshaped it and added jars with candles. After I finished I thought it turned out pretty well and hung it in the corner of my patio.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“Make it Pretty was a challenge because I am not artistic at all, but I thought I would give it a try so I tried the simple collage. The next level will be challenging. I think it turned out pretty well. It was fun reminded me of when I was back in grade school!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Kiirsti Nano (Knano13, #8300) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I created a small embroidery sample, learning basic embroidery techniques such as the filler stitch, the chain stitch, and the back stitch. Once finished w the embroidery, I pressed the fabric, and mounted it with glue.

I like how the project turned out, and am excited to display it, next time I would like to attempt a floral pattern.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #8300) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I didn't have to sign up for a library card, as I have had one since I was in grade school. No matter where I have lived I always have one. I love the library. I have used the inter-library loan often, as we are a smaller community and there are always books I'd like to borrow that are not in ours. I've used the audio books to walk on my treadmill in the winter and listen.

I will always use our library. I can't afford all the books I want to read! At present with the pandemic, our library is only doing curb-side pickups. You call in and they get the books ready, you drive to a window and then you can get them. I really can't wait for it to reopen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by making a beginners sewing kit. I had such a great time looking and finding the pieces for it. Wow—it came out so cool. I'm going to have to make a couple more. I made two and I'm so excited to pass them on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I went on a Button scavenger hunt. Oh it was so much fun. My goal was to find fun, interesting, different buttons.

Oh my gosh it was so much fun digging in buckets and bins at flea markets and a gently used craft store. This merit badge definitely makes you stop and enjoy the little things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2021 :  5:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by making a bracelet and wearing it. It turned out very good. I wore it to work and had several comments on it. It took a few tries to figure out how to put it all together, but eventually it all worked out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“Crazy how this merit badge dovetails beautifully in with what I'm doing right now. I created first aid kits for everyone in the family for Christmas presents. It's not sexy but they will be thrilled when the need arises.

I created a total of 10 vehicle first aid kits. First aid kits for each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen. I even made a first aid kit for my sewing go-kit for classes I take on the road. 4 fire extinguishers. 8 smoke alarms.

Can't wait to earn my Intermediate & Expert stitch on this merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“Finally got around to creating compost using a barrel. So far, not crazy about it. Before moving to the coast, I lived in a much hotter area. Compost cooked down seemingly overnight. On the cooler coast, it's fussy. But I keep trying. On the bright side, a flock of tiny yellow birds hang out to wait for me to turn the compost. It's like ringing a dinner bell for my little birdy friends because I disturb gnats that have taken up residence in the composter. The little birdies are fat & happy now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Pulled together sewing kits for several girlfriends wanting to learn to sew. Those girlfriends are making a living at what they're stitching up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“As a quilter, I have an excessive amount of UFOs. Not proud of the that fact. However, during this exercise of gathering up/organizing my undone projects, I've learned something very valuable about myself. If the process or direction are vague & laborious, I'm DONE! In fact, because of my distaste for vague & laborious directions/process, I have learned to write my own darn patterns and have began teaching beginner quilters. If the beginner quilters want vague/laborious, I have a stack of patterns & a mountain of UFOs for them.

1. I finished a buried UFO I've been pushing back on for over 5 years. Already sent it off to a fella that is over the moon about his new quilt.
2. Ever stitched up a Bargello quilt? Dear GOD in heaven! In my world, Bargello translates to HOT MESS! And on the 8th day, GOD made rotary cutters. He looked upon the rotary cutter and called it GOOD! I took my rotary cutter to the HOT MESS and created several Quilts of Valor with a big beautiful star for each quilt.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I am a scrap quilter. What really feeds my soul is using clothing. When my parents passed away, what got me through the ugliest moments of my grief journey was creating quilts from their clothes for each of the grandkids.

Somewhere in that messy grief journey and scrappy quilting, I started my quilting business. Now I'm creating legacy quilts for lots of folks going through their grief journey.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“As a quilter of legacy quilts, I have an excessive amount of buttons. Thousands of buttons (please don't make me count them). Before I can use clothing as quilting fabric, all that bling needs to be eliminated: buttons, tags, zippers, all of it.

I now have jars & boxes full of buttons. Always have a button project I'm working on now so I can power through my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“In Calif, I live on high alert 24/7 for a number of emergencies. Wildfires is top of the list however, if there's an earthquake in Japan, my neighborhood is evacuated for an incoming tsunami. Also, when North Korea is sabre rattling, Calif coast is on high alert for incoming missile attacks. If there is ever an explosion or terrorist attack at Diablo Canyon, I need to know where the iodine tablets are. I am out of the city limits so I have much more peace in my soul than I did when I lived in more populated areas. With riots happening throughout USA, I would want to hide under the bed and never come out.

With 1 simple tweek, I am ready to rock & roll during any kind of disaster. I moved ALL the backpacking and emergency supplies to 1 shelf. I timed the drill. I can be suited up and ready to roll within 10 minutes. Most emergencies or national disasters will require sheltering-in-place. I am equally ready to rock/roll those disasters too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“2020 lockdown has caused me to go full-tilt Amish. I have learned so many new things during this train wreck of a year. Earning merit badges for all my new life skills is like cherries on top of a sundae. Canning is just one of many life skills acquired during lockdown.

I have learned so much regarding the types of canning & food preservation (water bath, pressure canning, dehydration). Convenient food items I would normally pick up at the store, I now make for myself with much more flavor. I can't believe I waited this long to figure out basic life skills of food preservation. I will NEVER go back to "normal". I'm digging my new normal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“Researching why peanuts have become such a problem in the food allergy arena. Apparently, peanut crops are rotated with cotton. While raising cotton, those plants are sprayed with all kinds of ick which wick down into the soil. Upon harvest, the land is planted with peanuts, which have super absorbent soft shells, which wick up the ick sprayed during the last crop. The actual fruit (peanut) sucks all that ick in which gets processed into all kinds of food products.

I have learned more about plant rotation and chemical leaching than ever before. There is a pre-2020 me and a post-2020 me. I will NEVER be a pre-2020 me ever again. I'm woke and will never sleep again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Oh My Golly! I love this merit badge! I made paleo yogurt! I'm giddy! Using coconut milk, I made plain yogurt. I will never be the pre-2020 me again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I simplify and standardize as much as I possibly can. Since the kitchen is the #1 place of gathering, I have standardized all my storage containers (being locked down for a year only fueled this process more).

I measured my shelf space in the pantry and the refrigerator and searched online for square/rectangle storage containers with standardized lids. No matter what container I choose, I have lids that fit them all. The containers not being used stack beautifully on a shelf in my pantry.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Get 'er Done Merit Badge!

“Covid has seriously put a damper on this merit badge however, whenever possible, we mask up, glove up and Get 'er Done!

With everyone either deep cleaning or moving out of state, I have helped with at least 5 yard sales within the last year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“As a member of Gold Coast Quilters, I was the VP for 2 years. During that time, my focus was to bring in speakers to increase the knowledge of our craft. In the process, the membership of the guild increased considerably. We went from 90 members to 130 members within the 2 years I was in office.

After stepping down, I continue in an influential role as newsletter editor and communications. I must be doing an ok job as newsletter editor because I've been told the only way I can leave this position is if I die.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  5:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“My friend and fellow farmgirl will be moving to a new state soon. She has a mountain of quilting items to sell before moving.

I have given her countless hours of labor plus created flyers to advertise the yard sales to all our sister guilds in a 50 mile radius. So far, she's had 3 yard sales. Slowly but surely, I think she's finally making a dent in her stash.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page