Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger977, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I looked on the Internet and I have a book on herbs and spices for identifying 5 herbs and their uses and I went to the grocery store and I bought chives to add to my green salad for dinner. It was good. Spring is coming, can't wait to start all the gardening badges and my herb garden.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“Today was a beautiful day after 2 days of windy windy weather. So I got the fun job of cleaning the gutters of all the oak leaves that filtered in. Also had time to remove and re-caulk the window in the kitchen no more leaks! Both jobs were worth the time and effort keeping up with an older home is always a challenge!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Macrame Merit Badge!

“I already know how to macrame. I taught my friend Candy Hogan how to do it. I made a key chain, using the square knot and the half square knot to make a twist in my design. I added beads to it to add color. I did research on the different kinds of cords I could use. I also looked at so ropes I can use for different kinds of projects.

I really enjoyed making my keychain.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I learned how to knit. My friend Candy Hogen taught me how. I made a washcloth it took me about 4 hours to make it.

It was fun making my washcloth. It was not easy to do but it was a fun challenge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a pair of fingerless gloves, it was a little tricky. I used two different colors of yarn, and I learned to do different stitches. It took me 22 hrs to make them. I did 3 hrs with a group of ladies on zoom. I did 3 hrs with a different group of friends on zoom. I then did 2 hrs with some kids teaching them how to crochet. They loved trying on the gloves as I made them.

I think they turned out so good and are so cozy to wear.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2021 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I did research on the history of the early 19th century buttons. They had many different kinds of buttons. Buttons made of medal, putty, wood, horn, and thread. I really liked the thread buttons the best. I watched a video on how they were made. I collected 10 different kinds of buttons. I found some metal ones, wood ones a rubber one and one made of china. The rubber one was the hardest one to find. I have been collecting buttons for some time now.

I'm glad that I did the expert level in this Merit Badge. I learned so much about buttons that I did not know. This was fun to do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level 'Outpost There' Women Merit Badge!

“California is a tinder box just waiting for the next spark. Multiple fires throughout my state happen as often as most people change their socks. For this Merit Badge, I created bug-out bags (aka survival packs) for each person in the household. Jeep stays gassed up and backed into the driveway. In case of a quick evacuation, I have a shelf designated with enough supplies (including food/water, meds, shelter & fuel) to keep each person cozy & comfortable for more than 72 hours. Survival packs for day hikes are packed in an "in last, out first" order. Just open the garage door and the back of the Jeep, start shoveling emergency equipment in and we're off to safety. Even though I live on high alert all the time, I'm calm because I'm prepared and my family is safe.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“After my parents passed away, I was adrift and wandering aimlessly on my grief journey. Miserable in my own skin and making everyone around me miserable, I finally began to soothe the pain by cutting through my parent's clothing with a plan. By the end of that year, I created 5 legacy quilts for the grandkidlins.

As I showed people what could be done with clothes from love ones, I ended up stumble-bumbling into my quilting business. If not for the death of my parents, I would not have the opportunity to help others in their grief journey.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  1:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“While struggling through the baby steps of creating my quilting business, Curly Girl in Stitches, I was a HOT MESS. Little pieces of paper (aka receipts) became scrap pieces of paper to jot out my doodles for my next quilt. Inventory was consistently mis-categorized. It was quite evident I needed some help. Since my previous career path was criminal profiling & counterterrorism, I knew I could organize but couldn't figure out exactly what the IRS was interested in.

I approached my hubby's programming company and asked if they could create a spreadsheet for me that would auto calculate and organize to IRS standards. And just like that, I have yet another business: QuiltyCloud. It's an online business system specifically to help the cottage industry quilter. Our goal is to make every quilter a smashing success.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“The name of my quilting business is Curly Girl in Stitches. My niche is creating legacy quilts using clothing from loved ones of my customers. I approach each opportunity confidently as I can honestly tell my customers that I have walk a mile in their shoes.

I have had many career paths: medicine, law enforcement, motherhood. I have pretty much seen it all. I have seen everything from heinous crime scenes to emergency room situations to dirty diapers so nothing my customers tell me will shock me. I have also held the hands of people near & dear to me as they draw their last breath. My customers (normally perfect strangers) feel safe enough with me to talk openly of the pain they are feeling. They trust me with their loved one's clothing. They know the huge bag of clothes they leave me will result in a beautiful quilt they will cherish forever.

I have made hundreds of quilts since officially starting my business. I have sent quilts all over the world and nationwide. Wherever there are people, there is a need for care & comfort only a cozy quilt can bring.

Advertising is not my strong point. I need to get better at that.

Check out my website for more info:
http://girlstitches.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  1:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“Spring cleaning came before Christmas this year. I deep cleaned my kitchen cabinets and gave away several appliances. I replaced all those appliance with only 1 brand new heavy duty blender. Merry Christmas to me!

I now have more room in my cabinets and more counter space.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  2:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Oh my golly! Ever heard of Thieves Oil? I have gone full-tilt Thieves Oil! I clean my counters with a diluted mix of Thieves. I wash my fruits & veggies with Thieves. I even put a drop on my toothbrush daily. I also use Thieves laundry soap and love wool dryer balls with a couple drops of lavender essential oil.

Once upon a time, before covid lockdown, my hubby traveled all the time on business. He was always sick too. Then I discovered Thieves. He thought it was snake oil at first. I talked him into applying only 1 drop/day on his toothbrush. That was 5 years ago. He's been applying a drop a day religiously now. He hasn't been sick in YEARS since he began my Thieves challenge.

When shopping, I always opt for products in recyclable or biodegradable packaging.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  11:00:53 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“I did my research on the tools needed to make anything. This includes awls in several shapes. a punch, sewing needle, self-healing mat, shaving tool, pliers, diamond chisel, burnisher, and a wood or plastic hammer. There are some more supplies like stamps for designs on the leather or letters for putting a name on the leather also. I would like to make a crossover bag for my phone and to keep some cash in it when I go hiking. I will need the leather, knife, awl to punch the holes, cutting mat, pliers, and waxed leather string. Basic tool maintenance is keeping them clean, sharp, oiled, and polished. I enjoyed learning about leather.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  11:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“I researched tanning and finishing.

Tanning hide into leather involves a process that permanently alters the protein structure of the skin, making it more durable and less susceptible to decomposition, and also possibly coloring it.

A major series of final operations in the tannery can be broadly described as finishing. Stamping is when you leave an impression on the leather. Casing leather is the process of adding water to vegetable tanned leather. This is done to soften the fibers of the leather to achieve many tasks within leather crafting and makes the letter soft so you can do most anything with it.

Tooling veg-tan makes is so you can use leather to do tooling or ornamental work on it. Milled veg-tan gives the leather a look of elegance.

Different thicknesses and weights work better for different project types and working styles. Leather thickness is generally measured in ounces. Each ounce equals 1/64” in thickness. Different weights are used in different projects—a wallet will need a lighter weight, but a hand bag will need a heaver weight.

Casing leather is the process of adding water to vegetable tanned leather. This is done to soften the fibers of the leather to achieve many tasks within a leather crafting project. Store handbags with a pouch or two of silica gel, to keep any kind of moisture at bay! Store the bag in a cool & dark place. Exposure to the sun causes the leather to discolor.

To clean leather, just use a conditioner every 6-12 months and wipe up spills as they occur with a clean cloth. Avoid using normal cleaning supplies, such as soaps, detergents, solvents. I learned so much about leather I didn't know, but the one that stands out is how to clean it and store it. I now know don't store it in a plastic container.

The research was not an easy as I thought it would be. But I did learn a lot of new things. I am very prepared to make a project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  11:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“I had fun making a cross-over bag to hold my phone and some cash for when I go hiking. I shared it with my chapter on our Facebook page and at our zoom meeting.

I loved how it turned out, and it was fun to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“As Chapter Leader for Brentwood Farm Girls, I hosted our 1st annual Tea Party and Meeting on 1/21/21. My theme was Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter Tea Party, we wore funny hats, our aprons, had tea or favorite drink in tea cups or mugs. I used my farm animal curtain as a backdrop for our Zoom meeting, it has a chicken = perfect for MJF Henrietta representation lol. We went over a lot of information, picked our chapter color for shirts and played games.

It was fun. I wish more of our chapter members attended.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“The 4 beneficial bugs in my garden are bees, ladybugs, ants, and ground beetles.

The 4 harmful bugs in my garden are snails, aphids, squash bugs, and tomato horn worm.

Methods of organic pest control are: sticky traps and pheromone traps and lady bugs.

Plants that attract good insects are: purple dead nettle, calendula, nasturtium, borage, dandelion, and milkweed.

I thought it was good to learn this as we approach spring time and I will be putting in a garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“When I go to the store, I've been looking at the different packaging to try and see if it has the recycle symbol on the package.

For different ways to clean my home, I can use vinegar and newspapers to clean my windows and mirrors instead of a glass cleaner. I can use baking soda as a toothpaste like grandma used to and that is also good for scrubbing grout tiles.

I'm committing to using the vinegar for my glass mirrors and windows. I also found that the vinegar gets rid of ants outside in the cracks of the cement patio.

It's always a good idea to think about what you buy and alternative products to use in your home that are better for the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I chose to do the Mexican Culture.
The language they speak is Spanish.
I learned to count 1 - 10: Uno, dos, tręs, quatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez.
A traditional greeting is Hola - hello or Como Estas - (How to be) which translates to How are you.

I have been wanting to learn Spanish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Changes in atmospheric pressure signal shifts in the weather. A HIGH pressure system brings cool temperatures and clear skies. A LOW pressure system brings warmer weather, storms and rain. Meteorologists express atmospheric pressure in a unit of measurement called an atmosphere.

What is a barometer? Barometers measure atmospheric pressure and determine altitude.

How is wind formed? Wind is produced by uneven heating of the Earth surface. Wind is air in motion.

Research air masses and fronts and how they contribute to weather formation. Air masses are a body of air with horizontally uniform temperature, humidity, and pressure. A front is a weather system that is the boundary separating 2 different types of air. One type of air is usually denser than the other, with different temperatures and different levels of humidity. Each air mass has unique temperature and humidity characteristics. Often there is turbulence at a front, which is the borderline where 2 different air masses come together. The turbulence can cause clouds and storms. Instead of causing clouds and storms, some fronts just cause a change in temperature.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Clouds form when the invisible water vapor in the air condenses into visible water droplets or ice crystals. For this to happen, the parcel of air must be saturated, i.e. unable to hold all the water in contains in vapor form, so it starts to condense into a liquid or solid form.

Different types of clouds: Stratus, Stratocumulus, Altostratus, Cumulus, Altocumulus, Cirrocumulus, Nimbus, Cumulonimbus.

Predict our weather – for the next few days we are expecting overcast and some rain. The current atmospheric pressure is a low front.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:24:03 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I researched and answered the following questions:

What is the supreme law of the land? Constitution, Article VI. The Constitution, and the Laws of the United States, which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supplement Law of the Land.

What does the Constitution do? The Constitution creates a National Government consisting of 3 branches: Legislative, Executive and Judicial. The Constitution created a check and balances amongst the three branches. The Constitution divides the power between the federal government and the states.

The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are they? "We The People"

What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution? The Bill of Rights

Name two freedoms listed in the First Amendment. Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Religion.

What did the Declaration of Independence do? Announced the independence of the United Colonies from England, cut all allegiance to the British Crown and all political connection between the colonies and Britain. The USA has full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts which independent States may do.

Name two rights in the Declaration of Independence (three are possible). Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

What is freedom of religion? The right to practice whatever religion a citizen chooses to practice.

What is the economic system in the United States? Capitalistic

What is the Rule of Law? The Constitution is the nation’s fundamental law. It codifies the core values of the people. Rule of law is a principle under which all persons, institutions and entities are accountable to laws that are publicly promulgated.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Just in the county I live in, we have many types of birds: hummingbirds, gulls, road runners, herons, egrets, ducks, geese, hawks, woodpeckers, flickers, sapsuckers, swallows, black birds, owls, pigeons, doves, Sora, rails, coots, quail, turkey, cranes, pheasants, vultures, hawks, chickadees, starlings, wrens, thrush, blue birds, sparrows, mockingbirds, magpies, warblers, finches, crows, ravens, fly catchers, king birds etc..
For my wish list - I will say, I want to see more water birds, hawks and our state bird - the quail. It was nice to look up the types of birds that are local to where I live.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Susan Wich (#7816) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I made a wall hanging using 18 count Floba fabric. I love it! I had the chart for some time and this was a perfect way to make the item and earn a badge! We had also recently been to Oregon to hunt Valley Quail, so it was a meaningful design to work on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Recycling in my area is pretty well established. This makes it easy to recycle curbside plastic, glass, carboard, newsprint, paper, grass clippings and leaf and branches and composable food products. The only thing I wish I could recycle is Styrofoam.

We have a weekly curbside pick-up which makes it easy to recycle.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page