Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received certificates of achievement in Cleaning up for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Reusable shopping bags in my area are almost a must do. If you don't bring your reusable bags you are charged for plastic or paper bags.

When I go shopping 80 to 90% are veggies so easy to clean and throw into the the compost pile. In addition I use a lot of baking soda and vinegar around the kitchen to clean and vinegar in the laundry.

Veggies make my shopping trip easy and economical. For the baking soda and vinegar all natural and inexpensive.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“As I am the oldest in my family, I have have had the fun of giving my daughters a DNA kit. We have had many talks about the family history and the relatives that I knew and the never met. On ancestry I have a family tree with about 3000 relatives. Also researched on the castle and Ellis Island gov sites.

This will always be a ongoing project I add to my family history at least twice a month.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I live in a very diverse area for bird watching. Some of the birds that are here and when we can meet again (due to covid), I will join the West Pond Bird Watches again for their monthly bird walks. My list includes Humming birds, Nuttail Woodpeckers, barn swallows, vultures, sparrows, falcons, and house finches.

When I walk in my area, I always see a tree full of vultures and the falcons sitting on the fence post in the open fields. So this was a fun badge to earn looking forward to spring when more birds are out and about.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I bought a pastry tube and 5 different tips. Watched videos on the Wilton Cake Decorating site. Purchased a book on amazon about cake decorating, and went on the Pinterest site. Practiced with the the different cake tips.

With some practice it wasn't too bad. I need more practice filling the bag and keeping the frosting inside! But overall this was fun and will be trying the intermediate level soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  2:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“A chance to dream of having some property again. It would be nice to pursue that dream of a flower farm one day. There is a lot to owning and managing your own place but I did it in the past and would like to do it again someday.

I wrote out a plan including the cost of ownership. This includes the price of land and improvements, supplies, licenses, and start up costs. So maybe one day it will be a reality.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  4:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Susan Daniel (subfarmgirl, #3727) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I researched the safety of commercially available cosmetic and personal care products and compared them to organic and cruelty-free products. Here is what I learned:

Conventional versus Eco-friendly Health and Beauty Products

Even a cursory review of the literature on the topic of the safety of commercially available cosmetics and personal hygiene products gives the reader the impression that this industry is a wild west scenario, with manufacturers playing fast and loose with the few regulations that exist and marketing terms with little consistency in their meaning.

The cosmetics and personal care products industry in the United States is largely self-regulated. The safety of many of the chemical ingredients used in these products is largely unknown, particularly in terms of their interactions with other ingredients. Considering that in 2016, the average woman was using as many as 16 different products on her face alone, according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a nonprofit environment and health advocacy organization, the potential for harm to our health is clear.

It is not only human health that is at risk in the manufacturing of commercial cosmetics and personal care products, but through testing of questionable value, mice, rats, rabbits, and guinea pigs are subjected to horrible treatment in the name of safety. For instance, irritation tests are performed on restrained rabbits while chemical ingredients are dripped into their eyes or applied to shaved skin. Animal testing is not required by any US law. Their value is limited by the dissimilarity between the animals and humans. Even worse, at the end of the testing, when the animals are no longer needed, they are killed without pain relief.

Although the list of chemical ingredients used in cosmetics and personal care products contains as many as 12,000 approved compounds, only a fraction of them have been tested for safety. There are, however, groups of these chemicals whose negative health effects are known and that should be avoided: pthalates, anti-microbials such as triclosan, preservative agents such as parabens and formaldehyde, and detergents such as sodium lauryl sulfate.

Parabens and anti-microbials such as triclosan are known to have harmful effects on the estrogen, androgen, and thyroid endocrine system. They effect proteins that regulate hormone delivery and can block hormone synthesis, leading to hormonal imbalances. These disruptions at the cellular level can lead to adverse effects for brain development in fetuses and stimulate the development of breast and reproductive cancers. Also, widespread use of the anti-bacterial triclosan in soaps, laundry detergents, shampoos, and dish soaps can lead to resistant bacteria in exchange for little benefit; studies show that people who use these products exhibit no fewer colds, runny noses, coughs, and other symptoms than non-users because the antibacterial agents do nothing to protect against viruses.

Pthlalates are used in cosmetics to help them cling to skin, hair, and nails and to enhance their staying power. These compounds, however, also disrupt hormonal functions, which control cell development and reproduction. They pose a danger to women of reproductive age because of the risk of birth defects, particularly to male fetuses.

The detergent sodium lauryl sulfate, commonly used in shampoos, toothpaste, and lotions, has been shown to adversely affect brain, liver, and heart muscle cells. It also disrupts the immune system. Perhaps more worrisome is that it is highly reactive when used with other chemicals and gives rise to carcinogenic compounds.

Finally, the preservative formaldehyde, used in skin creams, soaps, nail polishes, and shampoos, is recognized as a carcinogen. It is readily absorbed into the skin and can cause severe allergic reactions that lead to chronic lung ailments such as asthma. It has been banned in Japan and Sweden.

While all of the chemical agents discussed are found in conventional cosmetics and personal care products, care must be taken even when shopping for natural or organic alternatives. In the latest marketing trend of "clean" beauty and personal care products, many of the attention-grabbing terms carry no objective meaning. For example, "natural" implies that the ingredients have been minimally modified. However, few products contain ingredients that are used "as-is" from nature. Also, "natural" doesn't always mean healthier; natural substances can also be harmful. "Chemical-free" is another misleading description, implying that the product contains none of the harmful ingredients discussed above as well as others. However, unless the descriptor is specific—as in "paraben-free," for example, the term is essentially meaningless, as even the human body contains chemicals.

Similarly for the description that a product is "non-toxic." This term implies that the product is not harmful to humans. However, nearly any substance can be toxic in large enough quantities, even water!

"Cruelty-free" implies that no ingredients or the product have been tested on animals. Third-party organizations certify that products and their ingredients meet this standard, which is indicated on the label.

Perhaps the only governmentally-regulated description in the clean beauty area is "organic." It implies that the ingredients are produced without harmful pesticides. This meaning can be verified by looking for either the USDA certification (that at least 95% of the ingredients are organic) or the NSF certification (that at least 70% of the ingredients are organic).

Besides shopping for organic alternatives while looking with a skeptical eye at some of the other clean beauty marketing terms, consumers can consult the EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, which assigns a numerical score from 1 to 10, where 1 is the least harmful / safest option and 10 is the most harmful (www.ewg.org). As for me, for those personal care products I can make that are an effective and safe alternative, I will work on the My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge and continue to replace commercially produced products with homemade.

I made glycerin and coconut oil lotion, scented with bergamot essential oil. It is smooth and luxurious, and I love that it's healthy for me, the environment, and animals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  4:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I researched the benefits of regular relaxation. Relaxation supports the parasympathetic nervous system ("rest & digest" activities). These include slowing the heart rate, decreasing the force of atrial contraction within the heart, lowering blood pressure, slowing respiration rate, improving digestion (secretion of digestive enzymes and insulin), maintaining normal blood sugar levels (promotes synthesis of glycogen, increases bile secretion), reduces activity of stress hormones, increases blood flow to major muscles, and decreases muscle tension and chronic pain.

I also went back and re-read Dr. Laura Koniver's articles from past MaryJane magazines:- "10 ways to Weather Life's Stress" Aug-Sept 2015; and "Opening Your Heart to Release Stuck Emotions" Feb-Mar 2020.

I chose to practice alternate nostril breathing as a means of relaxing, clearing the mind and releasing tension. Doing this for 5-10 minutes with some nice jazz music in the background is a great way to relax.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  4:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“After researching the benefits of relaxation for my beginner badge, I decided to keep a journal of my daily relaxation activities as a way to prompt me to keep doing them on a daily basis. I have also used this journal as my gratitude journal and I find the two go well together. Often the times when I'm relaxing or meditating, I'm thinking about those people or things that I'm grateful for.

My journal has now been going for a month and I have found some fun ways to relax for 10-15 minutes each day. Some of these have included yoga, listening to music or playing the piano, quilting, going for walks in the afternoon with my husband, cooking, reading, sudoku, gardening, coffee with a friend. During the initial few weeks that I started this practice, I was on vacation, so I found it quite easy to make time each day to relax. When I started back at work, it did become more difficult and I have had to make a conscious effort to take 10-15 minutes out of each day to relax and unwind. Having my journal on my desk is a good reminder for me to take a break.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I was born in Laidley, Queensland. The obvious starting point for any exploration of Laidley is the Das Neumann Haus, which is a unique colonial weatherboard building designed and constructed by German immigrant, local carpenter, and furniture maker, Hermann Neumann in 1893. The house was originally a family home, but Neumann, who made and sold family furniture, turned it into a showroom. He was more than a carpenter, building his own violins, making furniture for the local Saint Saviours Anglican Church, and building impressive grandfather clocks. When the Neumanns lived in the house it was known as a cultural hub in the district because Annie Neumann taught piano and violin and a son, Alfred, had a club—the Keep on Aiming Higher Club —where young men gathered to play instruments and talk about literature. It was gifted to the local council in 1980 and today it is a café and a museum recalling the history of Laidley and the life of the Neumann family.

Prior to European settlement, the Lockyer Valley around Laidley was home to the Jagara, Kitabul and Birren Aboriginal people. The first European to explore the Laidley area was Allan Cunningham who, travelling through the area in 1829, named it after the New South Wales deputy-commissary-general James Laidley. The area was settled in the 1840s by J. P. Robinson who called his property Laidley Plains Station. By 1879 it had been officially proclaimed although it wasn’t until 1902 that the Laidley borough was officially announced.

The local industry has been dominated by agriculture since the end of the 19th century. Laidley has long regarded itself as "Queensland's Country Garden". Fruit and vegetable production features prominently, with the majority of beetroot grown in Australia coming from the Laidley district. The town developed around a wagon stop on the main road route between Ipswich and Toowoomba. A stop was needed after the climb over the small Little Liverpool Range west of Marburg. By the 1850s, the area was being cleared for sheep grazing. A survey for the growing village was conducted in 1858.

In the mid-1870s, the railway line from Grandchester stopped at a railway station 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) north of the town. Between 1911 and 1955, a branch railway line ran from Laidley along the Laidley Creek to the settlement at Mulgowie.

Laidley in 1884 was a growing town. It had three hotels and three penny drinks just like any big city. There were three general stores which supplied little necessities, a bakers shop owned by Mr. J. Gunn, which was under the management of his nephew Mr. W. Gunn. Mr. Gunn also ran a butcher shop and one of the general stores. Messrs Schubert & Grindrod commenced as boot and shoemakers. Mr. Peter Nelson was a saddler, Messrs H Head, Thos Collins and Jimmy Delicate were blacksmiths and wheelwrights.

In 1885, a Laidley correspondent wrote that the chief exports of Laidley were maize, potatoes and lucerne hay. He wrote: "The area is also great on pumpkins and it's noted for its butter, eggs and poultry. Quite a town is being formed near the railway station and there are four or five general stores, one of which makes a speciality of fruit. In March 1886, Laidley was described as "being full of life with the bustle of German wagons, drays, buggies and other shandrydans (rickety old-fashioned vehicles) in the principle street”.

A great drawback was the scarcity of water. "Water is our great want and it is said a syndicate will shortly be formed for the purpose of laying down a water main from the lagoon.” A correspondent writing in the Queensland Times of February 6, 1872, said of Laidley: "I beg to inform you that we are jogging also at the usual hum drum rate in our hell and scrub surrounded retreat. "The kangaroos have it all their own way on the Liverpool Ranges - they are seen by thousands during a day's ride. The wallabies swarm in myriads and the cockatoos bid defiance to the farmers and attack their maize fields from 5am until 6pm.”

By June 1903, Laidley was a prosperous country town as the following shows—there were two banks, of which Mr. F. A. Bryant was the manager and the Queensland national, Mr. C. Ward being in charge. Hotels in the town included the Britannia (Mr. John Campbell), (Mr. George Edwards (tenant Mr. A. Vetter, Exchange (Mr. A. Giesemann) and the National (Mrs. W. Hanson).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  4:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“For my intermediate Civic Heritage Merit Badge, I chose to research Sidney Cotton (17 June 1894 – 13 February 1969). The Hidden Vale property (South-East Queensland, Australia), located halfway between Laidley (where I was born) and Mt. Walker (our family farm where I grew up), was the stomping ground of Sidney Cotton, the real-life inspiration for Ian Fleming’s Secret Agent 007: Bond – James Bond. Hidden Vale is a special place for me. My great-uncle, Tom, worked as a farm hand on the property when it was an active cattle station. Today, the 12,000 acre property is owned by the Spicers Group and is a luxury retreat in the Australian bush. My husband and I were married on the property in 2006.

In 1900, Alfred (A. J.) Cotton purchased ‘Jost Vale’ from an Ipswich butcher named Philip Jost. He renamed the property ‘Hidden Vale’ and took up residence in the hidden valley below the site of the old homestead. Alfred and his wife Annie had a number of children, Sidney being one of their sons, born in 1896. Sidney completed most of his schooling at The Southport School on the Gold Coast, except for his final two years which he completed at Cheltenham College, during which time the Cotton family had briefly returned to England. The family returned to Australia in 1912 and Sidney worked as a Jackaroo. In 1915, he returned to England during the First World War and joined the Royal Naval Air Service. Sidney swiftly qualified as a combat pilot and participated in numerous missions. The experience he gained with high level and low temperature flying led Sidney to develop the ‘Sidcot’ suit – a revolutionary new flying suit which enabled pilots to keep warm in the cockpit. This style of suit was widely used by the RAF until the 1950s.

After being promoted to flight Sub-Lieutenant in 1917, Sidney came into conflict with senior officers and soon resigned. He married a young London actress with whom he had a son and spent a couple of years in Tasmania before returning to England and continuing his passion for flying. A risk-taker, in 1920 he attempted to fly from England to South Africa, but was unsuccessful. He was also lucky to survive a crash at a London aerial derby he partook in. Sidney then moved to Newfoundland, a British colony in North America, where he spent three years flying varied assignments.

1925 saw Sidney divorce his first wife before marrying a young Canadian woman in 1926. During this period he was involved with a number of aviation-focused business activities, including an airborne seal spotting service and search and rescue operations in Newfoundland and Greenland.

Just before the Second World War, Sidney was recruited by M16, the Secret Intelligence Service of the United Kingdom, to capture aerial photos of the German military preparation—he was officially a spy! He posed to the Germans as a wealthy private aviator and film producer and collected valuable information about the German military build-up via a series of reconnaissance flights. He rigged up cameras concealed with panels on his plane that he could open by pressing a button underneath the pilot’s seat. The button could also control the cameras. He built trusting relationships with German officials and consistently managed to fly off his planned flight paths (regulated by the government) without arousing suspicion – apparently he was a very persuasive, opportunistic character!

In 1939 the RAF recruited Sidney as a Squadron Leader and honorary Wing Commander. As well as this, he headed up the fledgling RAF 1 Photographic Development Unit (PDU), and led the group to provide important intelligence which informed successful air raids on key enemy sites. With his background knowledge gained flying over Germany and other countries, Cotton significantly enhanced the RAF’s intelligence gathering capabilities. It was also in 1939 that Cotton met Ian Fleming as both were working for British Naval Intelligence. They became good friends and it’s believed that Cotton was the inspiration for some of Fleming’s 007 James Bond character, with his penchant for risk-taking, undercover operation, and his love of gadgetry and young women!

Cotton was a man of action and ingenuity with a maverick streak. He died in England in 1969. His ashes were buried at the family grave in Tallegalla, west of Brisbane, where a heritage plaque that summarises his life story has also been erected.

(I have posted my presentation on the Farmgirl Connection chatroom under Merit Badge Chit Chat).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“Root Vegetables some of my favorite foods for winter soups. In my area we are lucky to have a lot of organic and conventional growers. In my usual store they have Yams, beets, turnups, onions, garlic, radishes, carrots, and garlic.

This was fun because on my shopping trip today it made me think of the good winter produce. In my cart today, I had 6 root vegetables for a soup dinner tonight.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Bread Making Merit Badge!

“The primary difference between baking soda and baking powder is that baking powder already contains an acid in the chemical mixture, whereas baking soda needs an acidic ingredient to create the rising reaction. I made a white bread, Cinnamon bread and a flax meal nut bread. For the next level I used a rapid active yeast and a home starter yeast mix.

The white and cinnamon bread were good the flax meal nut bread was a little too dry. So for the next step, I made the flax meal nut bread with the rapid rise and it turned out much better.
The home starter was used in the cinnamon bread and that was delicious—much deeper flavor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Caitlin Edge (Cait, #8255) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I bought a cross stitching kit from the craft store to learn how to start cross stitching and follow the pattern in the instructions. It also helped me learn to backstitch so I could outline the picture.

It turned out really well. I made a small picture of a cat and I’m really happy with how it looks considering how new I am to cross stitching.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Before joining the farmgirl sisterhood, I already had a passion for family history and genealogy. I had completed an online degree program in genealogy, and I'm on several sites with my family tree. To continue with this badge, I explored the national archives to see if I could find out any more information on my husband's tree.

It was fun to spend time researching again. I will do this for the rest of my life to leave a legacy for my grandchildren.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I live on a ranch and I let a family keep their steer on our property for free. We normally help feed M-F mornings so they can go to work and M & Th nights because they have meetings. Well, the family came down with Covid and are quarantined. We now feed all mornings and all evenings. I clean and I remove the feed sacks and garbage. We stand and watch the steer eat all his feed so the chickens don't steal the food. We fill the water troughs. At 30 minutes each feeding, I am now at 8 hours and will keep going until the family is well. I never counted any of the prior hours or work, but now that it's exclusively on us to care for their animal I can take some credit here. It feels good to help them out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made my 2nd apron. This one is gingham checked and I added a pocket. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I had the tree identification guide, stepped out side my front door and identified the following 3 trees: Redwood, Eucalyptus and Poplar. It was fun and simple.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I started the bread starter and fed it for 14 days. 1/23/2021, I made the Wild Bread. 1/24/21, I went on Wildbread.net was approved, and posted comment on 1/25.
1/28/21, I made the 2 loaves of Bara Brith. I like making bread. The collage is of all my bread making through Expert level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“I read the book The True History of Chocolate. I liked the section on Milton Hershey on p. 248. I also read another book on Chocolate history and recipes which will come in handy when I have to bake with chocolate.

I tried Dark, White, and Milk Chocolate. Dark was bitter, White was creamy and milk tasting, milk chocolate was my favorite. Fun badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  5:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“Apples originated in the country Kazakhstan and made their way into Europe via France. Apples were in England in 1066. They came to the Americas as seeds and cuttings in 1607 to Jamestown and Plymouth.

4 ways that apples are used every day: Raw, applesauce, baked—as in pies, pastries and cakes, dried in slices, juice and smoothies, curries and chutneys.

Varieties grown in my area: Red Delicious, Rome Brandy, Wine Sap.

3 different varieties for:
Cooking/Canning – Fuji, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious
Cider – Gala, Fuji, Courtland

No apple picking right now, in January, in my area, so I bought 5 different varieties at the store: Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Pink Crisps, Sugarbee and Granny Smith.

Shared what I learned on the Farm Girl Connection Chat Room

It was interesting to learn the history of apples and try the different varieties.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2021 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I researched the difference between cruelty free, organic and commercially made beauty products. Organic may contain animal ingredients, Cruelty free may not have been tested on animals but can contain synthetic or animal ingredients and Commercial contains few added nutritional additives that can benefit the skin, they mask potential skin issues. I made bath salts. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  11:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I purchased 3 state of MN symbol fabric projects that are dimensional (http://www.gonesleeveless.com/quiltin-cowgirl-designs.htm). I started the lady slipper in a class and learned more about the pattern. They aren't great patterns so I haven't touched the walleye and the loon. I had completed a bunch of small UFOs and during that time, I decided to finish these 2 projects.

I collected some fabric at that time. The weekend I had available I continued with picking my fabrics & digging out supplies. I started tracing onto fusible web a Wednesday. Thursday was putting the web to fabric, ironing and cutting up. Friday was assembling water and the loon. Saturday was sewing down the raw edges. Sunday was finishing the edge & putting on eyes.

It turner out better then I had even imagined! I believe the pattern is missing a separate tracing sheet for the pattern. I only had a sheet for how to place the pieces together.

I learned more about the pattern that I used on Monday & Tuesday to start the walleye!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  11:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level 'Out There' Women Merit Badge!

“I have been tucking away the stuff for this badge for a while. I didn't exactly have the bag/backpack to put it in.

For Christmas I got my boyfriend a hydration backpack. Now I had something to work with.

I REALLY lucked out. There was a website that 30 both medicinal and edible plants for Minnesota listed.

With the hydration pack empty, it looks like you have LOTS of room. I was wrong. It took a bit a work to get all the items listed tucked away in the pack when it was full of water. I need to find a pattern to do something with the paracord to make more utilitarian on the pack.

Minnesota has 3 types of landscape: woods, oak savannah and prairie. The items that are edible or medicinal in one are not found (typically) in the others. People listed corn and asparagus which I didn't consider "wild". There were also a few mushroom that I wouldn't consume no matter how hungry I was, I think it's just too dangerous since so many look like.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  11:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have loved the library since I was in jr high. My love & appreciation only grew as I got older. My master's degree taught the wealth of knowledge you could access & I had to learn how to access it.

I also discovered there is a difference in libraries because the one at home wasn't like the one in a big city and that one wasn't like the one in a different small town. It wouldn't be for many years when I happened to sit next to a librarian that I found out the reason the why. Changed my view on libraries.

I have accessed many library's service for a variety a of reasons. I requested Glamping through my local system for this badge (in the picture attached).

I have posted a screenshot of my Netgalley profile. Because I worked at Barnes & Noble, I was able to access a site that I can review books before they become available to the general public.

I got my Glamping request within a couple days. There is a difference in library systems that I have had learn. My childhood system each library owns books that return specifically to that library. The system I have to access now is different. While any book that particular library buys, most books are purchased by the system and float around.

So the Glamping book requested came from one library, it will be shelved in the library I return it to until it's requested for travel again.

I posted in the reading room about advanced reader copy books. I LOVE having access to advanced reader copy books (ARCs). I have read some fabulous cookbooks and some real jokes. It's fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef Merit Badge!

“The difference between grass-fed and corporate-fed is huge. Coming from a family whose cousins still raise free-range cattle compared to the stock yard force fed animals. The phrase "You are what THEY ate," from the I eat beef article is certainly correct.

Raising 4-H animals gives you a knowledge of how animals should be raised humanely and ethically.

I've always tried to eat as much organic and humanely raised animal products as possible. I'm fortunate to live in an agricultural area where grass-fed animal products are easy to find. Thank you for keeping the awareness in the public eye.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page