Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  2:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I continued my meditation journey for an additional 21 days, aiming for 10 minutes or more each day.

My main form of meditation has been spiritual meditation and prayer, however, I have also been experimenting with grounding, some additional on-line guided meditation sessions, and mantra meditation which is very similar to transcendental meditation. I usually do the mantra meditation at my weekly yoga class. We do breathing exercises at yoga as well. I find that I benefit greatest from the alternate nostril breathing. We also practice ujjayi breathing which is thought to improve your concentration, release tension throughout the body, regulate heating and cooling of the body and warm the core from the inside.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  2:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Miranda Howard (Miranda L Howard, #8260) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I made a simple wood bench for our table. I used a hand saw and maple planks. Cut them following directions in a woodworking book and finished it off with 3 coats of sealant.

I wish the edges were a little smoother, but it's sturdy and solid and works great.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile
Miranda Howard (Miranda L Howard, #8260) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I have always loved animals ever since I was a small girl. We had dogs and cats at first, then we moved on to chickens and pigs. We didn't like the pigs very much. My dream from being a little girl with always to have a horse and I saved up and saved up for it, and finally got one my senior year of high school. I now have cats, dogs, sheep, and chickens. My horse passed away in ripe old age, and we had to move. I don't have the acreage right now for a horse, but I would love to get another one someday.

I always have a cat around, for a friendly pet and mouse patrol. Recently got a dog to help me herd my sheep and protect against varmints. Have chickens for eggs, broth, and casserole meat. If I could get a farm animal or a pet I would definitely get a pony. Could use it to pull a cart or maybe a little plow or a wagon, and also give my kids ride on it. Just waiting for the day I can get a pony again, maybe a dale's, fell, highland, or exmoor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:39:42 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I researched the type of insulation in my walls which is roll type R-19, it's also what we have in our attic. I researched the different types of insulation such as: blankets, batts, rolls, cellulose and loose fiber fill. R-19 to R-21 is perfect. I researched the types of windows in my home which are casement windows and glider windows. I went online to my power company to see if there any rebates and credits. Right now they have rebates for thermostats, water heaters, and generators. See photos.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“The different root vegetables that grow in my area are yams, beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, carrots, Yucca, onions, garlic, celery root, horseradish, daikon, turmeric, jicama, Jerusalem artichokes, radishes, and Ginger. I went to my grocery store produce section. I concentrated in the organics because that is where I'm also doing other organic badges. I found the onions, garlic, artichokes, radishes, Ginger, and carrots.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I tried the following organic foods for a month: black tea, wheatgrass, garlic, onion, lemon, and tomatoes. I did not like the tea or Wheatgrass. Everything else was fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I spent 3 more weeks meditating. I set my cell phone alarm every day and did 10 minutes of quiet time. There are 16 different types of meditation techniques, I used: breathing, relaxation, resting awareness, and visualization.

It was nice to get a break every day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:45:20 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I tracked in my journal for a month and found on average for the month of February 2021, I used 8,802 watts of Electricity per day, drove 98 miles in the car which equals $10.78 for the month in gasoline, and used 68.05 gallons of propane gas in the month.

You can figure out your propane useage. A 2,000 square foot home will use 888 gallons in a year, divided by 365 days = 2.43 gallons per day.

For Electricity, you find out what your appliances use in watts per hour times how many hours per day your use the appliances. My dishwasher for example, is 1.2 watts per hour, run every 3 days will break down to .12 cents per dishwasher load.

My lights – 3 lights at night for 5 hours times 60 watt bulbs times the 3 lights is 900 watts per day. My refrigerator runs 24 hours per day times 280 watts per hour = 6,700 watts per day. We have a new refrigerator, dishwasher and stove cook top, so they all are energy efficient.

We don’t have standard light bulbs – we use LED bulbs. One item we are converting is all the barn light fixtures to LED – the barn has fluorescent bulbs right now and we are in the process of running the wiring in the barn to convert the fixtures and purchase LED light tubes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I started to make a table runner and after more than 50 hours, decided that would be my expert project, so then I did a baby blanket for Intermediate level. I started with large knitting needles, did not like it, so ripped it all out. Then I incorporated 2 colors and doubled the stitch count. It turned out thicker and looked better. More than 20 hours of work. Long project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I originally started this table runner for the intermediate level. But once it exceeded 70 hours, I decided to count it for Expert. Then I made a baby blanket for my Intermediate level. I wanted to make sure to get this runner done in time for St Patrick's Day in March. It took over 60 days and over 78 hours of work to finish it (I stopped tracking hours after 78). I taught Rebecca, Allie, Alyssa, Kimberly, and Jenny to knit. It was a long project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I chose to research Mexico.
1. The Federal government of Mexico is the national government of the United Mexican State.
2. The President of Mexico is both head of state and head of government, and of a multi-party system.
3. Religious freedom: Yhe Mexican constitution and other laws and policies protect religious freedom. The ruling bodies of government are: Executive, Legislative and Judicial established in 1917.
4. The economy of Mexico is a Market Economy. The top 5 international traders with Mexico are: USA, China, Japan, Germany, and Korea.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“1. The Mexican federal government has three branches: Executive, Legislative and Judicial. They function under the Constitution of the United Mexican States, enacted in 1917. Mexico is comprised of 31 states and the federal district. Government powers are divided constitutionally between the executive, legislative and judicial branches, but, when Mexico was under one-party rule in the 1900’s, the president had strong control over the entire system.
2. Elections in Mexico are held every 6 years for a president and every 3 years for a legislature. The president = 6 years single term, No vice president. Legislative branch is called Congress of the Union, chamber of deputies are 3 years. Chamber of senators is 6-year-term.
3. Laws are created in the Legislative branch, decrees by the president and by jurisprudence created by the federal court.
4. Law enforcement services in Mexico are shared between federal, boarder control, traffic, state and municipal police. The 2 principal police forces are: national uniformed police - Policia Federal and PFM plain clothed criminal investigations—Policia Federal Ministerial.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“1. Mexican federal republic independence first proclaimed 1810, republic established 1824. Constitution 1917.
2. Mexico has made significant progress in achieving women’s rights and gender equality especially in key areas at federal level, strengthening of national laws. Because Mexico’s legal system is based on civil law, the state and federal district civil codes are very similar to the federal civil code. Some of the problems they currently face are: Organized crime – drug wars, human rights violations, killings, tortures, disappearances.
3. In the early 1800’s, Napoleon’s occupation of Spain led to revolts all across Spanish America which led to the War of Independence (1808-1821)
4. The government in Mexico prior to the War of Independence was a Monarchy, with the Queen of Spain. New Spain became a sovereign nation of Mexico.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“A good wind break should include 3 rows of staggered trees such as cedars and pines. Plant them on the North and West sides of the property and N/W side. When planting space the trees 10-15 feet apart. Plan your trees to be 50-80 feet tall for best wind protection. Evergreens work well.

I went to the park and identified Cypress, Willow, and Pine trees.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I brought my grand kids out to the shoreline we identified Willow, Cypress, Pine, Mulberry, and Sycamore to name a few. We noticed the palm had dropped a lot of fronds on the ground, so no other trees were growing near by. The larger trees did not have small trees competing for space.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I went to the Martinez Shoreline to photograph the water birds. At my ranch, I have red tailed hawks, Cooper's hawks, black cow birds, doves, and woodpeckers are the common ones we see. At the shore line, I photographed ducks, pigeon, egret, geese, coot, baby sand piper, black birds, and seagulls, among others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  3:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I kept a detailed chart of the weather in my area for 31 days. Photo attached.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  4:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I made my own shampoo. I've continued to replace and make new products.
I made a gift basket which had homemade: shampoo, candle, bath salts, bath bomb, crochet dish cloth, crochet chicken hot pad, tootsie rolls, and calendar.

I used my gift basket as a prize for our monthly chapter meeting scavenger hunt. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  2:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Amy Moore (Amy Moore, #8338) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“We made 3 separate checklists for the different types of wax, scents, and colorants used in candlemaking. We researched, using the internet and filled in the checklists with the pros and cons of each.

Making the checklists made it much easier to seperate and choose which we want to use for the intermediate section of our badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  2:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Amy Moore (Amy Moore, #8338) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“We started by setting up our work space. We used a double boiler for melting the wax. For our first set of candles we measured out 3 cups of beeswax and stirred it until it was melted. We then allowed it to cool until it reached 180 degrees and added honey almond fragrance oil. We inserted the wicks into the mold and held them in place with hairpins until the wax was partially set and then removed them. When the wax cooled we removed the candles from the mold and ‘painted” the candles with mica powder to give them a shimmery look.

Our second set of candles was made with 3 cups of soy wax, to that we added a concentrated wax dye square. After the wax melted we added yellow mica powder and stirred to blend. When the wax cooled to 180 degrees and added honeysuckle fragrance oil. Again, we inserted the wicks and held them in place with hairpins and added the wax.

We had an excess of both types of waxes after we filled the molds so we used a silicone mini cupcake mold and made tarts for our warmers!!

Both types of waxes had their pros and cons. The beeswax began to harden as soon as we took it out of the double boiler and added the scent. We had to return it and continue stirring and scraping to mix the scent in and keep it in a liquid form. The cooling process was much easier though as the candle was ready to come out of the mold in about 20 minutes. The soy wax remained liquid through adding in the mica powder and the scent as well as pouring it into the mold. The cooling process was way longer however, it took a full 24 hours for the candle to be ready to come out of the mold.

Both waxes held the fragrance well.

The dye wax square was very easy to use as it melted with the wax. The mica powder that was added to the wax was beautiful when the wax was a liquid but when it hardened there was no shimmer just a pretty color. The mica powder that was painted on has a shimmer to it that is really beautiful.

I gifted one of the candles to my daughter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I have just finished reading Sue Monk Kidd's "Secret Life of Bees". It was an enjoyable read and the little pieces of bee trivia at the start of each chapter were an interesting addition. I also watched the trailer for the movie "Vanishing Bees" which has inspired me to watch the whole film. In keeping with this theme, I also perused "Bee-Friendly: A planting guide for European Honeybees and Australian Native Pollinator" by Mark Leech to see what bee-friendly plants I have in my garden and what additions I could make.

Bee-friendly herbs already growing in my garden include oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, and thyme. My fruit trees welcome the bees - I have a mango, avocado, guava, persimmon, lemon, lime, orange, mulberry and passionfruit. The passionfruit flowers are absolutely beautiful and the bees love them too. Natives trees in my garden that are bee-friendly include bottlebrush, grevilleas, flowering gums, emu bushes, king orchids, lilly pilly, & ivory curl. I also have a hedge of lavender in front of our house and it's a swarm of activity during flowering season.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  3:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I was fortunate enough to receive a Gratitude Journal for Christmas from my friend, Karen. I started my journal at the beginning of February, so have been writing a daily entry for a little over a month now. I am also been reading "The Book of Awesome" by Neil Pasricha.

It's been such a beneficial exercise to reflect on the many blessings that I have in my life. It's easy to acknowledge the obvious people and big things in our lives, but we too often take for granted the many little things that might otherwise seem insignificant. "The Book of Awesome" has helped to point out some of those everyday somethings that add so much happiness to our lives. I am really enjoying this book. It is not only important to be grateful for these little moments, but Neil Pasricha has documented the many awesome things in such a humourous, heartwarming way. I have found myself giggling on multiple occasions as I read through his optimistic observations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  3:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“I chose 5 native flowers that are currently growing in my garden. I pressed the flowers, wrote a brief description and mounted them on paper. After taking the photograph below, I covered them in clear contact and now they can be framed. Here are the descriptions I included with my flowers:

Buckinghamia celsissima, commonly known as the ivory curl, is a species of trees, constituting part of the plant family Proteaceae. They are endemic to the wet tropics rainforests areas of northeastern Queensland, Australia. Buckinghamia celsissima reaches 30 m (98 ft) tall in its natural rainforest habitat, but is much smaller, reaching 10 m (33 ft) tall, in Australian east coast gardens. In the wild they are found more frequently in drier rainforest from altitudes of 200 to 1,000 m (660 to 3,280 ft) above sea level. They often grow with kauri pine.

Prostate Hop Goodenia, Goodenia ovata, is a tough, adaptable, evergreen Australian native. Widespread in all mainland states except Western Australia, usually in open forest and woodland. This species is not widely cultivated as it is perceived to have a "weedy" growth habit. It tends to grow quickly and can become open and untidy.

Kay Bryant, Phebalium nottii, is a species of shrub that is endemic to eastern Australia. Phebalium nottii grows on sandstone in forest and occurs in inland Queensland and in the Grafton and Coonamble-Peak Hill districts in New South Wales.

Grevillea “Cooroora Cascade” is mainly found in warmer areas of Australia (Sydney to Perth and north). The large nectar high flowers appear in late Summer through to Autumn and will attract plenty of nectar feeding birds to your garden. Grevillea ‘Cooroora Cascade’ grows happily in sub tropical gardens through to cooler climates as long as the frost isn’t too extreme, it just requires a well drained soil.

Coastal Rosemary, Westringia fruticose is a shrub that grows near the coast in eastern Australia. Plants of the Westringia variety are a highly versatile Australian native that suits a wide variety of uses ranging from expansive groundcover, to colourful formal hedges, box gardens, retaining walls or as an ornamental shrub.

I then researched rare and endangered native plants in the Darling Downs region where we live. I looked up the Queensland Government – Department of Environment and Science website and was surprised to learn that there were 165 plants listed. They are further classified as extinct, extinct in the wild, critically endangered, endangered, vulnerable or conservation dependent under either the Nature Conservation Act or Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act. The list includes a photograph and description of each plant, so I am able to print the list and keep watch for these particular plants whenever we are out hiking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I chose to make a 3D lotus flower. Firstly, I watched an online tutorial for this design, then I followed the instructions to make the flower. The flower required 8 pieces of paper. I used a green floral tone for the leaves and a variety of pinks and florals for the petals. It took me a little over 30 minutes to make.

I have since shared my new found love of origami by showing by husband how to make a frog, and I taught my 2 nieces how to make paper cranes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2021 :  5:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I read the book of Awesome. It teaches us to appreciate the little things in life and to slow down to be grateful for the little things that make us happy. I did my daily journal for a month.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page