Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I took my own personal and favorite Ranger with me (my husband Bob) and went to Spitler Woods State Natural Area. We took a 1/2 mile hiking trail. Since husband is a former park ranger, I thus had my ow personal tree identification guide! Being a predominantly oak forest, it's a mature deciduous forest. We identified pin oak, red oak, sag bark hickory, hophorn bean, hackberry, and walnut. We examined bark, leaves and lots of nut leavings. Since this is a mature forest, these trees are extremely tall with a lot of open canopy. This allows a lot of light through to the ground. The vegetation is just beginning to break through (spring). There is little grass but lots of wildflowers, prairie grasses and underbrush. On 3/21 we hiked a different, longer trail at Spitler Woods. I brought a garbage sack and picked up trash, depositing a 1/2 full bag in a trash can at trail's end. This felt wonderful! We'll be back next weekend.

It was exciting to take advantage of my husband's knowledge and experience. We've been back since and have enjoyed watching the forest floor green up and all the myriad wildflowers. I'm in the process of getting a guidebook of some kind to identify them.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I loved Woe Is I! I am one of those strange people who loved to diagram sentences! The book was a great review for me and a learning experience as well - even got my own copy! The most fun was finding out what an ellipsis is (...). Must use this more:) It was also very reaffirming to see that many of my language usages (esp. in writing) are acceptable and preferred. Ms. O'Connor takes her reader on a very entertaining and informational journey through grammar with all its foibles and inconsistencies. Wish I'd had this in school. I also skimmed "Woe Is I Jr." It is some abbreviated and contains cartoon-like illustrations. I'm keeping a running list of new words. It's extra fun to see where they turn up. I spoke to Brian concerning the posts or responses and what I could do to substitute for this since I do not have at-home internet access. I wrote a letter to the CEO of AMAC magazine expressing my thanks. I was thrilled when she sent me a handwritten thanks in return!

I'm enjoying this area and looking forward to the next level. I was so pleased with the note from Rebecca Weber of AMAC. You never know where you can make a difference.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I read "Woe Is I" as reported in Farmgirl Grammar. My short story fiction is entitled "Parliamentary Dreams." It's about a woman who has career dreams of being a Professional Registered Parliamentarian (somewhat autobiographical). The Persuasive essay is entitled "Why you should keep a food journal, weigh daily and measure weekly." I have other friends who are on a weight loss/fitness journey and I attempt to use my own journey as a help. The poem was the most difficult for me. It is called "Accidental Farmgirl" and chronicles my journey from townie to farmer's wife. My husband read all these and enjoyed them. He especially enjoyed the poem since we farmed for 42 years!

I enjoyed these exercises. Since I used to write a lot of poetry I was surprised writing a poem was not as easy for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I belong to Epsilon Sigma Omicron (ESO) which is an honorary society established by the Indiana Federation of Women's Clubs in 1928. It expanded within the General Federation of Women's Clubs and I joined through the GFWC Illinois Federation of Women's Clubs in 1986. We participate in this at the club level (GFWC Decatur Woman's Club) and have about 8 active members within the club who read and write book reports that are submitted to the State ESO Chairman. As the club ESO Chairman, I issued a challenge on 4/16/19 to our club readers via the club newsletter. I would award prizes to the member who had read the most books, who brought the most book reports, and to the 1st NEW ESO reader at the next club meeting (one month away). I also write book reviews for the club newsletter. I have completed the first six books in my TBR file.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I gave a book review at the 5/9/19 meeting on "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates." I gave 2 prizes at this meeting for most books read and most book reports given to me for mailing. On 5/10/19 I wrote 16 book reports and included them with 16 book reports from 2 other members for submission to the State ESO Chairman. (Note: I did the following in Lieu of a Little Free Library.) At this meeting I announced we would hold a 'book fair' at the June 13 meeting. All members were asked to go through bookcases, stashes and ;piles and bring any books they no longer wanted. This would also aid in individual purging activities! At the 6/13/19 meeting over 230 books were brought and displayed. Members went through them and took whatever they wanted. The remaining 185 books were taken to Blessingdales, a thrift shop that benefits a local Women's Homeless Shelter.

My favorite genre is mystery. I love the cozy mysteries like the Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Child; and I equally enjoy the thrillers by Steve Berry, Brad Thor and C.J. Box. My shelves are purged and organized for my future reading adventures.

The club ladies love doing 'book fairs' and we always have a lot of books to donate. Everyone wins.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I belong to 2 community service organizations: GFWC Decatur Woman's Club and the Central Illinois Chapter of Project Linus. I did some fact-finding on the American Legion Auxiliary and found I was not eligible to join. For the purpose of this badge I chose to concentrate on Project Linus. Project Linus is a nationwide organization that provides quilts and blankets to children in any kind of crisis or trauma. Items are predominantly given to children birth through teens in hospital settings.

I keep track of every volunteer activity in my journal which includes what I did, how much time I spent, and what money was spent.

In January and February 2020 Project Linus partnered with Bundles of Joy (BOJ). Linus Blanketeers were called upon to provide quilts, fleece blankets, crocheted blankets and knitted blankets for BOJ's upcoming distribution to new moms. I made 4 crocheted blankets (6 hours each = 24 hours) and 1 knitted blanket (8 hours). Total 32 hours.

In February and March I made 15 fleece blankets (3/4 hour each = 6 3/4 hours). I made 86 preemie blankets. These are 1 yard of fleece cut in half lengthwise and serged - I am humbled to be 1 of only 2 in our chapter who does these (5 hours). I also made 10 flannel radiology blankets (10 hours).

In September the call went out for Scent Hearts for babies in the NICU. These are 6" double flannel hearts. They are made in pairs; the mother keeps both next to her skin, then one is put in the isolette with her preemie or ill baby. I made 10 sets. (20 hearts - 3 1/2 hours).

Though not through a specific organizagtion, I made and donated 400 masks between March and June 2020. Over 325 of these went directly to Decatur Memorial Hospital (100 hours).

Total hours for this badge: 157 1/4 hours.

I love when a call comes to provide specific items. Everyone gears up and gets it done!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I continue my volunteer activities with the Central Illinois Chapter of Project Linus. My journal is full of listings of sewing activities, shopping for supplies, money spent (donated) and time spent

I talked and emailed with the Chapter Coordinator Mary Balagna (she is also the National Vice President). All volunteers -- known as Blanketeers -- are welcome to participate in any way in the endeavors to make sure there is a "Hug for Every Child" and anyone is welcome to become involved. There are several quilting groups that gather frequently. There are chapter challenges. Typically, two Make A Blanket Days are held each year (2020 was different!). These draw 100-200 women. It's an incredible experience to be in a room with over 100 sewing machines running at once! Women are making quilts, fleece blankets, clipping fleece blankets, participating in drawings and free giveaways and bonding. An annual appreciation breakfast is held in November. (1 1/2 hours)

On September 23rd, I participated in a 'drive through' Make A Blanket Day. We all wore masks and social distanced while we enjoyed each other's company in the parking lot of one of our regular sewing sites. (4 1/2 hours)

In November I shopped for, made, and delivered 20 fleece blankets (9 hours).

On January 16, 2021 I made 16 Scent Hearts (32 hearts) and delivered them 2 days later (5 1/2 hours).

Total hours for this badge: 20 1/2 hours.

There is nothing more gratifying than doing for others. I love this organization!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“Since I'm already keeping a daily food journal I was able to calculate food costs for the 2 of us. We spent an average of $9.04 per person, per day for 3 meals each (Bob ate out twice). This comes to $63.29 each for a total of $126.57 for the week I chose to track.

I skipped lunch on 4/4/21. For the lunch I would have eaten I multiplied $5.55 x the 13 pounds I've lost ("Let's Get Physical" badge) for a total of about $72. I donated $72 to Hand of Hope (the Mission arm of Joyce Meyer Ministries) which will help feed 12 children for one month.

It was very interesting to see what we spend on food for a week. And it was exciting to donate to feed children.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I fully enjoyed reading Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. It reminded me of my English and Business courses of many years ago.

I wrote a 2 page, 1300 word story on 5/14/19 entitled "Meanderings About Aging. My husband read it and had many comments, most of them hilarious, about it.

My favorite genre is mystery, especially suspense.

My husband is enjoying reading what I write.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have been crocheting for many years. I crocheted a scarf for Christmas At Sea who provides knitted and crocheted items to mariners around the world. I donated yarn to other crocheters for projects.

I love making things for others and imagining where in the world they will turn up!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  1:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been knitting for many years. I knitted a scarf for Christmas At Sea (7 hours), and a cotton dishcloth (1 hour).

I taught a friend how to follow a chart.

Dishcloths are great gifts!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I spent time with an elderly lady a total of 10 hours. We had lunch one of the times and talked about what it was like when she was little. She showed me her photo albums of her two sons and their kids. I came to see her another time and we watched a movie and had dinner together I helped her do her dishes and I made her dinner. On another outing, I came and helped her plant her garden and helped her water it. And another time I came back and we played cards and had a nice lunch together and just talked. I really enjoyed spending time with her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I spent a total of 20 hours with my friend Myra. I came to her home on one occasion and made her favorite dinner which was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy. We played cards that night also. She really likes playing fish that's one of her favorite games so we play that quite a bit. Another time I came and we had lunch together and looked at her Alexa pictures that her son set up for her. I helped her to organize them so she could see what she wanted to see. Myra has dementia, so it's hard for her to remember things. I do a lot of reminding her of what and who everyone is. Another time, I took her for a walk around her apartment to get her some more exercise. I went out to her garden and helped her water it and we talked about the plants. Another time, I picked her up and we went for a drive to go check out the scenery. Spring has just sprung so she's enjoying all the pretty flowers on the trees. This last week, her son came to visit from Utah and we all went out together and I got to learn even a little bit more about her. It was really fun. She enjoyed going out and seeing her son, although when he came, she didn't quite remember who he was I had to remind her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I've been eating organic for the past two months. I've been trying new organic foods every week. I made a salad using organic lettuce, organic onions, organic zucchini, and organic onions. I dried my own organic apples and put them in the salad. It was very tasty. I purchased organic milk the next week and got organic cereal.

The next week I got organic yogurt. The next week I got organic celery and organic peanut butter. The next week, I got organic artichokes--they were really good. The next week I got some organic flour to make some bread. I purchased some organic salsa to go with my organic chips. I bought some organic popcorn and organic raisins the following week.

I've been enjoying this badge and trying all these organic foods. I never really wanted to purchase them because of the cost. But now that I've been trying these foods, I'm seeing that it's worth it. I feel healthier.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“There are benefits to meditation first of all it reduces stress, emotional balance, increases your focus, reduces pain, helps with anxiety, depression, and increases your memory. There are different types of meditation. Here are just a few of them: mindful meditation, spiritual meditation, focused meditation, and movement meditation. I spent 7 days doing spiritual meditation.

This was fun and relaxing to do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“The benefits of regular relaxation are that your heart rate will slow down, your blood pressure will be lower, your breathing rate will slow, your digestion will be improved, and it reduces muscle tension and chronic pain. I took 5 minutes out of my day to breathe deeply clear my mind and relax my body.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I spent 23 hours knitting my table runner. It took a long time to make it because I just learned how to knit about a month ago. Once I started it got easier.

I had fun doing it. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I'm continuing to be more conscious of health and beauty choices. I made hot-pressed soap with lemon and grapefruits scent, as well as bath salts and lip balm.

This was fun and extremely easy to use natural products to make healthy choices. I scented the bath salts with rose oil. The lip balm is great very easy to make and use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Ella Davidson (Mentoring Sister: Jillian Benton, greenhouse mama, #8364) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level My Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a quilted table centerpiece. It turned out great!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Sandra Sue Japhet (S-Japhet, #8158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I saved tomato seeds from last years garden and started them this year. I created a cross breed last year and was able to grow starts this year and named it "Sandy's Mystery". It is a nice 1 pounder beefsteak.

I have over 30 species of heirloom tomatos that I started from seed. over 100 plants to give to friends or sell at my little stand at the end of the driveway. I also have heirloom beans, pumpkins and flowers...SO EXCITING!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I compiled years of research on my maternal ancestors into a two volume set of over 600 pages. My family is too spread out across the state and country for reunions to be a possibility. So I made six copies of these volumes and gave one to my mother and mailed the others to her 5 brothers and sisters. "Je me souviendrai de vous" translates to "I will remember you" The couple in the photo are my grandparents, Earl and Roberta. Yes, they were farmers.

I was very pleased with how the books came out. Some of the recipients responded with surprise and thanks. Others did not acknowledge them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I checked my brake fluid, power steering fluid, windshield washer fluid, my coolant and the overflow tank, and my oil every week for one month. I also kept track of my mileage for a full month. When I calculated my mileage for the last month, I found out I drove a total of 770 miles in one month. I did not think I drove that much in a month.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I identified five different vegetables that can be grown in my area. They are radish, beets, carrots, onions, and potatoes. I then went to my local fruit stand because I'm in an area where there are lots of fruit stands and identified almost all of the vegetables that I picked at the fruit stand. Some of the things were shipped in from Southern California most of them were growing right here in Brentwood, CA. I live in Oakley. I did go to the grocery store and saw all the vegetables that were on my list. Some of it was local and some of it was from Southern California and other places. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have been eating a lot more organic foods for the last month, including different kinds of salads using organic lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and celery. I've been shopping at Trader Joe's to get organic meat to go on my salad. I've been paying attention to my portion sizes also so I can continue to lose weight. I'm exercising as much as I possibly can. So far in the last month, I lost three more pounds. I feel good losing weight.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the movie called vanishing bees it was a very interesting documentary on why the bees disappeared I really enjoyed the movie. I also read the book and watched the movie called The Secret Life of Bees. I planted bee-friendly Flowers in my garden.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page