Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I researched the health difference between ra and processed honey. Raw honey is only strained before it's bottled, which means it retains most of the beneficial nutrients and antioxidants that it naturally contains. Conversely, regular honey may undergo a variety of processes, which may remove beneficial nutrients like pollen and reduce its level of antioxidants. I have a friend who sells honey and I eat it most every day it has helped me with my allergies. I no longer take my allergy pills. I read the book called Nature's Little Wonders. I really enjoyed reading it.

This was a fun merit badge to do I learned so much about bees.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I spent 4 hrs making a quilled picture of my Toby cat. This my cat who was 18 years old. I had to lay him to rest on April 5th. This is in memory of him. I think it turned out good.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I have adopted a vocabulary that I can embrace inclusiveness. I have become aware of people in the community who are dealing with disabilities. I've seen people in wheelchairs struggle with getting up small steps to get into restaurants. I see homeless people on the streets with mental disabilities that are struggling to have a place to live and actually get food and clean themselves. I go to the store I see this one particular gentleman in a wheelchair. He is by himself riding on the side of the street; I see that he has difficulty getting from place to place because he's in a wheelchair. I don't see anybody helping him. He's very friendly and he talks to everybody as we come out of the store.

I also have a brother who has a physical and mental disability. He's in a wheelchair and has people coming into his home and helping him to bathe. He cannot get himself out of his bed and put himself in his wheelchair. His caregiver has to change his undergarment and his catheter and clean him up at all times. He gets around in his home in his wheelchair when no one is there to care for him. He cooks meals in the microwave because he can't use the stove, as it's too difficult for him.

I also care for a senior lady with mental and physical disabilities I help her with cooking her meals and I put the meals in plastic containers in her refrigerator so when I am not there, she can eat. I clean her home I bathe her and I keep her company so she's not lonely. I've noticed that people with disabilities whether it be physical or mental or drug-induced or anything of that sort struggle with relationships. I notice it's very difficult for them to talk to people and or people do not want to talk to them.

I knew most of this but did not really think too much about it until I did this merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  11:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I've only found one place that really wasn't very well accessible to people with disabilities, this one particular restaurant had a ramp but the ramp had a little lip in it so it was difficult to get the walker above it. I had to pick up the front of the walker to help a lady get on the ramp. In my own home, there are many difficulties for disabled people. First, we walk up to the house there's a step that's a difficulty right there you have to physically lift up the wheelchair from the back wheel onto the front wheel to get it over the step several times. Then there are the stairs. It's a two-story house, which makes the upper-level inaccessible. For example, my husband had a knee replacement. It went bad and got infected. He had to have it taken out. So, for 12 weeks he had no knee. The Fire Department came and took him up the stairs. So, there he sits upstairs for 12 weeks 'because he can't walk on it. The fire Department again comes to take him down the stairs to his apartment to the doctor's appointment.

I do know of someone who has a medical condition that is challenging for them. My brother is mentally and physically unable to care for himself. How do I make him feel more comfortable and welcome? I usually go just to his home because I don't want him to feel uncomfortable trying to get up the steps to my house. I usually will go over and make him a meal and talk with him. I call him on the phone quite a bit or he calls me and we just talk. It's important to me that I let him know that I love him. I know it makes him happy when I just simply talk and listen to him. I always talk to everyone and treat them like I would treat anyone else. If you see one who needs help, ask them if you could help them. That is what we all should be doing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I made a change at someone a senior's home. She already had grab bars in her bathroom. So, I got her a chair to help me bathe her better. The shower chair is so much better and so much easier she feels safer now when I help her shower. I zip-tied a towel to her existing grab bars to help her not to slip. She likes her shower chair and her towel now. I shared it with her son and he loved that I came up with this idea. I turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I've made an effort to improve my grammar and spelling. I've not been using slang expressions. I have never used text speak.

I have used a dictionary to define and learn new words for two weeks. I have really enjoyed learning new words! It has been fun using them during my days and being able to share the meanings with others. People invariably ask what a word means when they hear one they don't know!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I identified 5 different root vegetables that will grow in my area. I did have to research root vegetables first.

When I went to the grocery store, I looked for root vegetables that the store offers for sale. I also discovered where they were grown.

It was eye-opening to realize that I was not completely certain how to identify a root vegetable! Researching the types of root veggies that I can grow was fun ... I also found out that there are many that I've eaten, but also some that I've not tried.

I had fun searching for root veggies at the grocery store. They had the ones from my search and others. Most of the root vegetables in the produce section of my store are grown in the USA. Only one had been grown in Mexico. My plan is to search for vegetables from farmer's markets that are local. I would like to support my local farmers in order to eat fresher food and shrink my carbon footprint!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made a sewing kit for my granddaughters. My granddaughters and I had fun putting together sewing kits for both of them. We color-coded the contents. they can tell each other's supplies apart when they clean up the sewing table! They are enjoying learning to sew and stitch! So much time share my craft with them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched recycling in my area to find out what could and could not be recycled.

I discovered that our city has lots of recycling facilities and opportunities. there are many recycling centers in our area. Our city also offers curbside recycling for paper, glass, plastics, and yard waste. There are turn-in sites for used tires, as well as listed sites for used oil recycling. The county we live in also has a hazardous waste disposal site in our town.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I found out what could be recycled and got a system going for my household. I carried out my plan for a week.

It turned out great! I am recycling more things that I used to throw in the trash. It is not as difficult as I thought that it would be! I am washing and reusing plastic containers in my kitchen, garage, laundry area, and garden that I used to put into the recycling bin.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycled for an entire month and recruited my granddaughter to start recycling her family trash.

Recycling has gotten easier for me, but I still have to remind my husband to recycle. My younger granddaughter has started recycling at her house, too! She is helping her siblings and parents to remember to recycle. She is also collecting cans and bottles to add to her bank account.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I researched zero waste living and found out what a zero waste audit entails.

I am excited to get of my path to zero waste! I'm enjoying recycling, am beginning to reuse more items, and am looking forward to lessening my carbon footprint. I will be conducting my own waste audit soon and will be sharing what I find out about my habits!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  12:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“For going green I used the motto "Going Green, Staying Green" I had very few store bought products in my house. I had moved all chemical products that I use to use to the garage. I started use only natural ingredient products because my grandchildren were allergic to so many products.

My town already recycles bottles, cans , cardboard, plastics, and green waste at curbside.

I took the remaining products and turned them into more organics and useful cleaners. All purpose cleaner is now vinegar and baking soda. Dishwashing soap is baking soda and Borax. My plans are to look into making hand lotion from all natural products. We have a farmgirl meeting once a month, and last month we all shared what we were working on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

““Going Green, Staying Green” is my new motto. Since I'm halfway to organic I thought I'd continue in getting rid of chemicals. My new go-to's are baking soda, vinegar, borax, and washing soda!

I made dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, soap, floor, window, and bathroom cleaner. I find all the new products I made work just as good or better than the store bought products.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“This was a fun badge to do. I captured the water on the onset of the shower till the warm water began to flow. I collected one and a half gallons of water per shower. That is ten and a half gallons per week. I always turn off the water when brushing my teeth something I learned growing up. I even checked out all my sprinkler system and turned off one extra day a week for a total of approx. 50 gallons.

I found out that I didn't need to water my yard as much as I though so saving 2400 gallons a year which makes a big difference.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I grew up in the bay area of California. In the town there is a historical society and museum which I've visited a couple of times.

The first inhabitants of the area were Indians of the Miwok tribe. It wasn't until the 1820s when Don Salvio Pacheco received the land from the Mexican government. His house still stands which is located in the downtown area. Don Salvio Pacheco called the town Todos Santos which means "All Saints". Several years later the name was changed to Concord.

It was fun to review the museum historical societies website, since due to Covid, everything is closed. I have, on several occasions, had the pleasure of going to the historical society and museum. I am the fourth generation to live in that town.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Cypriana Corey (cypriana, #8360) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I'm still recovering from Covid Pneumonia and wanted to do a project to help me sit up. so I looked into basket making and found coiled rope baskets. I didn't have any proper cord, so I crocheted some macrame rope to make it thicker. Then wrapped and coiled and sewed two baskets--one for my granddaughter and one for my friend's granddaughter (of course I'll disinfect them first). This project took a couple days, as I'm moving very slow.

They turned out cute! I might be adding some quilted flowers to them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Audra Silva (sassystyle, #7132) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched (online) our local recycling center and curbside service to see what can and can't be recycled.

I learned about a couple of things I didn't know could be recycled and a couple that I didn't realize can't. Definitely a good idea to refresh my memory every so often.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussiechick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I researched the history of apples in Queensland, Australia.

The apple (Malus domestica) tree is one of the most widely cultivated plants in the world with more than 7,500 known cultivars. Most commonly apples are eaten fresh for their sweet soft, yet crisp flesh, while some cultivars are bred more specifically for cooking and making cider. The tree originated from central Asia where its wild ancestor is still found today. China is by far the largest producer of apples, with approximately 40% of worldwide production in 2008, followed by the USA, Iran, and Turkey. In more recent history the apple has spread from Europe to other parts of the world. Spanish, Portuguese, and British colonists brought the apple to the Americas in the 16th and 17th centuries and, a little later, apples were introduced into the colonies of Australia (1788) and New Zealand (1813).

Tasmania is often called the 'Apple Isle' in reference to its outstanding apple industry. Apples are indeed a part of Tasmania's non-Aboriginal history from its inception to present. The first apple tree planted in Tasmania dates from 1788 when William Bligh anchored in Adventure Bay on Bruny Island and planted a selection of fruit, including three apple seedlings, the first apple trees planted in Australia. Mainland and overseas export of apples was initiated in the late nineteenth century by George Peacock, WD Peacock, Sir Henry Jones and WE Shoobridge. Export peaked in the 1920s and 1930s essentially to European markets. After Britain joined the European Common Market in the early 1970s, apple exports fell drastically. Between 1972 and 1975 the apple industry required complete restructuring and the Tree Pull Scheme reduced the production of apples by 50 percent and the number of orchardists by 700.

The by-products of the apple industry such as dried apples, jams and jellies or cider have been exploited, whether in an early farm economy or as an organised industry. The apple processing industry in Tasmania grew from these by-products. The final products also included canned apples, apple pack, pectin concentrate and apple juice. Henry Jones and Co Ltd became registered as a public company in 1903 (four years after it was taken over from George Peacock), and the iconic brand name IXL continues to be seen on many breakfast tables even today.

There are more than 15 varieties of apple produced commercially in Australia. The four most common varieties are ‘Pink Lady’ (‘Cripps Pink’) ‘Granny Smith’, ‘Gala’ and ‘Sundowner’ (‘Cripps Red’). Victoria and Western Australia are the largest producers of the ‘Pink Lady’, ‘Granny Smith’ and ‘Sundowner’ varieties, while Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland produced the majority of the ‘Gala’ variety. Most locally produced apples are sold and consumed as fresh fruit. About 15% of the total Australian production is processed for juice/cider, dried fruit, frozen fruit, fresh apple slices and canning.

Here in Queensland, our closest apple growing area is Stanthorpe. Stanthorpe holds the record for the lowest temperature recorded in Queensland at -11 °C in July 1895. In winter Stanthorpe is frequently the coldest town in the state with sleet and light snowfalls recorded from time to time. The Granite Belt is therefore one of the few areas in Queensland with a climate suitable for pome fruit production. The area’s elevation of 800-1000 metres above sea level results in a cool summer climate, which is brilliant for growing large and juicy apples and pears. In 2017 there were approximately 32 apple growers in Queensland, many of whom have farmed in the district for generations and who also grow stone fruit, pears and cherries. The region could be called “Little Italy” because of the large proportion of inhabitants with Italian ethnic origins.

When minerals were found on the Granite Belt large numbers of tin miners moved to the area. The name Stanthorpe derives from the Latin: stannum (tin) and thorpe (village). When tin mining declined in the region the locals started to diversify and people began growing large quantities of stone fruit and grapes. Apple orchards are located around the northern and western Granite Belt villages of Cottonvale, Thulimbah, The Summit, Applethorpe and Pozieres which are all within 15 minutes’ drive of the heart of Stanthorpe.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (Ag. Commodities, 2015-16), in 2016 Queensland was the third largest apple producer in Australia. The main apple varieties grown in the Granite Belt at present include: Pink Lady, Royal Gala, Granny Smith and Red Delicious.

In Australia, the best apples for eating include: Kanzi, Sundowner, Red Delicious and Modi. The best apples for cooking/canning include: Granny Smith, Sundowner, Fuji, Royal Gala, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious. The best apples for cider making are the heritage varieties of Bulmers-Norman, Kingston Black, Gravestein and Coxe’s Orange Pippin.

My favourite apple varieties would have to be the Red Delicious for eating and the Fuji and Granny Smith’s for canning or stewing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2021 :  1:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussiechick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“It has now been almost 2 months since I completed my “Mindfulness Meditation” intermediate badge, and I have continued to incorporate several meditation techniques into my daily schedule.

I specifically researched and practiced ‘walking meditation’ for the expert badge. A walking meditation, or ‘meditation in motion’, is designed to bring body and mind in sync while we’re out and about. And if you don’t like to sit and close the eyes to meditate, this is a great alternative that still trains the mind in awareness. Walking is such an established, habituated action for many of us that we tend to do it on auto-pilot. The moment we step out the door, our mind tends to go wandering, too — caught up in remembering, dwelling, planning, worrying, or analyzing. Each time that happens, we move away from the present moment and away from the chance to connect with nature and our surroundings. We forget to appreciate the simple pleasure of walking.

Walking meditation is more than just strolling about. Rather we are training in being as mindful as possible: this practice is all about being aware of our body and physical sensations as we move. Our eyes are open and our mind and body are rooted in the present. Meditating while walking is a way to get the mind to walk with us and to bring a relaxed focus to this everyday pursuit. It’s amazing how different we feel when paying attention to what’s going on around us rather than what’s swirling in our head.

The 3 main things to consider when engaging in walking meditation is location, speed and posture, and the focus of your attention. I stepped this up a notch and decided to try running meditation too. I like to run about 3 days each week, and there are some interesting 30-50 minute guided running meditations on Spotify that I can download onto my running watch.

The other types of meditation that I have enjoyed the most include spiritual meditation where I have been reading a daily devotion, loving-kindness meditation, mindfulness meditation, and various breathing techniques that I have been learning at yoga.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“This badge was a little harder for me to complete. I watched the trailer on vanishing bees, that was easy. Putting in my bee friendly flowers in a designated wild flower garden in front my house was little harder because of my physical limitations, but I got it done. It was difficult to fins the time to read the book Secret Life of Bees, so I did it late at night.

I am excited to see the wild flowers grow.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I continued on my journey for 2 additional months (2/25/21 - 4/25/21), trying one new organic food each week.

For beginner, I tried lemon, garlic, tomato, and onion.
The past 8 weeks, I added: Chicken, eggs, strawberries, grapes, 4 different apples, nectarines, celery, and bell peppers.

It has been okay. I've not really noticed any difference in flavor.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  10:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“I decided to try and make a flag coaster. I went down to the dollar store and got a plate and cup that I could break up with a hammer and towels to make my mosaic chips. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Water Management Merit Badge!

“Drip lines are a more efficient way to water because it gives you more control over where the water is distributed, it saves on water and there will be less evaporation.

The various methods to collect water runoff and redirect water methods are to add more plants and trees, break up slab walkways to be more permeable, dig trenches, cover soil, add mulch, add native drought resistant plants that do not use a lot of water, wash cars or items on lawns to not waste water, direct water away from house foundation.

3 methods I can use to reduce water consumption in my yards are: add more plants, add mulch and make sure to direct water away from the foundation.

This was good timing to work on as I put in my garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  11:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Poley (Kristin Rae Poley, #8347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I've been crocheting for a little over a year. The project for this badge was my first attempt at clothing (other than scarves); its a crop-tank top for summer. It's primarily 1 stitch so it was simple in execution, but took me close to 10 hours to finish. The final part of this badge is to teach someone else to crochet. My mother knits, but doesn't crochet. Recently I sat down with her to teach her how to crochet. I'm not sure that she'll continue, but at least she now knows how to make Grandma's kitchen scrubbies!

My crop-tank top turned out okay. I will definitely where it this summer, but it was difficult to size. It's primarily 1 stitch (half double crochet), which I already knew, so it was easy to do. If I did it over I would change the pattern so that the bottom rows are tapered. The yarn is also a little thick for summer wear. I have found some other patterns I think I'll try in the place of this one.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page