Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Rea Nakanishi, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I made a pizza for this badge and an apple-pineapple BakeOver for dessert. I shared with Candy #8283 at our BakeOver dinner.

They all turned out well. I liked the Pizza and apple BakeOvers and I would make them again. Going to try the vegetable BakeOvers next.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  11:12:12 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Rea Nakanishi, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I love to try new variety of foods. I found an Arkansas black apples, lavender tangerines, purple yams, delicata squash, and organic spinach noodles.

Had a fun time trying the new varieties of food I like them all and will continue to enjoy them.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I bought a HUD foreclosure home. To say it has issues is an understatement. Because of a bad patio door, we're going to re-shingle this summer. Because one issue is ice damns, I had no choice but to learn about insulation.

Even the insulation expert had no idea what type of R value I really have because of various old insulation projects, but when done, I will have a much better insulated house.

It turned out GREAT!! I found out I qualify for a rebate because I'm using an approved vendor from my energy company!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“I checked for leaks. Well ... it's an old house so there are leaks. The windows are newer so those really weren't an issue.

We had already put insulation thingies in the exterior wall outlets & switches. It's amazing how much those will control.

I have open ceiling space in the basement. It was so cold down there, I went investigating only to discover the "breeze" coming down from that floor joist area. No caulk on earth is going to fix that so it's imperative to get that insulated and drywalled this summer.

The contractor bungled up a patio door install this fall, leaving me with water issues and open space around the jam. Again, no caulk on earth is going to solve these issues. I filled the open space with steel wool to prevent rodents from entering (yes, it's that large) and then a bit of plastic to create more of a vapor barrier.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“As of 1/16 there were no water leaks in my home. I kept a list for a while about ways to save water.

I live in Minnesota so water isn't exactly a problem here. I have heard of very innovative ways Californians conserve water which as someone from 10,000 Lakes is scary!!

1 - Fill up sink instead of using soap wand. Buy rubber gloves to battle the hands in water issue.

2 - Get the dishwasher installed

3 - Use the water in the dehumidifier to water plants instead of dumping down the drain. Will continue with outdoor plants this summer.

4 - Made kids take shorter showers. Just one can use a whole hot water tank!!

5- Removed tub plug to stop kids taking baths.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I got a notice that there would be a zoning & planning meeting to re-zone the golf course across the street for commercial use.

We were very surprised by this, and unhappy when a real estate lawyer sent us a information that the city didn't about what was going on.

I have done a bit more research on this issue. We're unhappy about the proposed change. Especially since one of changes is a large marina on very little shoreline.

It's still on going. We were unhappy when the city approved a single apartment that would/could be part of a larger plan. Feels like the owner just wants to keep taking bites at the apple.

We saw on the plans that the owner is probably going to ask for an exception to a watershed rule on the next stage of the apartment project.

So for the time being, I keep going to meetings & speaking up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I have an interesting in upcycling so I decided to look at developing a business to sell the fruits of that interest.

I have collected glass bottle upcycling ideas for awhile, starting with apothecary jars for Halloween.

Because the "broom" jokes in my family and my personality, named my business Wit Chi Sin (Witch Is In) Production.

I couldn't get the email I wanted to I had to use the Greek letter Chi which is an X. That's fine.

However, because summer get-togethers weren't a thing last summer & probably not a big deal this summer, I've put the plans on hold.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I had my maternal grandmothers recipe box and I've already talked to an aunt to get the recipes of my paternal grandmother that I wanted.

Looking at this badge, I decided it was high time I went through that recipe box.

It was an interesting journey. Tucked away in the back were recipes my grandmother had gotten for her wedding showers in 1947!! She must not have liked them because they were all tucked away together with a note.

I found recipes my great grandmother wrote. They were very annoying because there is no estimate of how much flour to use nor what to do once you make the dough!

I didn't find the recipe for popcorn balls that me, my brother & cousins would all go over to grandpa & grandma's to make before Christmas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I'd already gone through my maternal grandmothers recipe box for my beginner badge to identify the ones I'd like to keep. I'd talked with my aunt years ago to get the recipes of my paternal grandmother I wanted.

However, my maternal grandmother had awful penmanship and my writing looks like serial killer scrawl, so I decided to type them up.

I still have them in recipe boxes but decided to preserve them better.

It turned out really well. I added a few more recipes than I'd planned. It was pain to type recipes into the computer, not exactly an easy task since old recipes are not written like modern ones are.

I send a message via Facebook to my cousins letting them know I have compiled a cookbook. I gave a list of the recipes and told them if there is one not on there that they want, I will work to get it and add it.

Attached is a copy of the boiled frosting for chocolate cake.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“As a Girl Scout in 1986, I remembering celebrating a jubilee. I had to look it up—it was the diamond jubilee. There was even a patch that our council continued to add to even after 1986.

As a royal watcher, I watched HM QE II's 2012 celebrations, especially the Thames flotilla. However, I have noticed a few things about her upcoming jubilee.

Parliament is discussing a QE II lamp post unlike a stained glass window last time. The discussion about lamp post has been varied to say the least.

There are plans for an extra bank holiday so I suspect a lot of people will do the typical block party thing they do in England.

Hummm....

I continue to plan for a small jubilee celebration here and posted my 2 ideas online.

I wonder what the Queen's jubilee will look like now that Prince Philip died and with the continued America problem. I did learn something interesting in this, that just like her birthday isn't celebrated on her birthday, neither is her jubilee since it's really the date of her father's death.

I had tried to get a camper cabin at one of our state parks for jubilee weekend to celebrate with a fellow farmgirl, but that didn't work out for numerous reasons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I've been intrigued with a Mediterranean diet for a couple years. I encountered a customer at the bookstore I worked at who was told by a dietician to eat a Mediterranean diet. The customer thought it was a specific, laid out type diet only to learn it's not. She was very surprised.

Because of that, I saw a Mediterranean diet cookbook available as an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) thru a site I review with. I requested it and got the opportunity to review it before it was released.

It hit the areas I've been trying to expand on in our diet/meal planning. More beans, less meat, increased veggies and of course Mediterranean recipes.

It turned out GREAT!! It was an outstanding cookbook!! I was very impressed. I was so impressed, before I gave a glowing review, I decided to test out some recipes.

Shopping for ingredients was good, so I was ready to go!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“So as a reviewer for "The New Mediterranen Diet Cookbook for Beginners", I choose a couple recipes to to start with.

Normally, you wouldn't want to double up on flavors but I decided to make the most of the fresh produce & herbs. Chickpeas with sun dried tomatoes & spinach and spanakopita.

It was really delicious. The teenager wasn't quite sure about it, but she thought it was okay.

Both recipes had spinach, dill, and oregano but were so different you couldn't tell.

Having gone to Greece for the Athens Olympics, I did talk about Greek food & tell a story about octopus!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I make collages of the detritus you collect while traveling. Carrying a camera, hauling film (back in the day) and the costs of developing and printing are kind of a pain. Yet instead of throwing brochures, receipts, maps, tickets, etc away, I make a collage.

I have most of my travels already made up but I discovered one from 2019 that I hadn't done yet!! (I honestly love this pandemic isolation)

This one is from our trip to the Iron Range in northern Minnesota.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“I've always lived with pets. I came home from the hospital to a cocker spaniel.

Cocker spaniels, schnauzers, cockatiels, cat, and fish were part of my youth.

I am currently on bulldog #2. Both came from the MN Bulldog rescue.

My bully had some medical issues in January. Bulldogs are not an inexpensive breed of dogs to acquire nor care for. She's now 10 which is mature for a bulldog. With her medical issues, it got me thinking what if ... this procedure doesn't work.

Thank goodness it did and my bully baby is happy again. But it was an opportunity to investigate other breeds of dogs that are smaller and less expensive to maintain. Mini dachshunds were very alluring, but I suspect are not a much lower cost.

I really didn't find a good fit for a different breed of dog. I'm now wondering about adopting a bird.

It was hard to choose my favorite pet. My favorite pet was my first bulldog.

He was a show dog that didn't champion and a very easy keeper. He was a snuggler and an excellent flirt. He loved to sneak into my B&B kitchen when my back was turned to meet the people who were obviously there to see him. I wouldn't know he'd done that until a guest would say "Oh!! What is this?" since most people don't get to meet a real bulldog.

Picture is of the tooth/gum issues that happened in January. I had to send picture to the vet on call!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Sievert (Kristin Sievert, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I've made scrapbooks online for my boyfriend for either Christmas or his birthday to help commemorate a trip we took together.

He was having his 50th birthday the end of March 2021. I was feeling that we hadn't gone anywhere in 2020 because of COVID so I hadn't given him a scrapbook for Christmas.

I got an email from Shutterfly for something, logged in and found this unfinished book project just sitting there, waiting for me to get back an email about the food tour we took in Memphis. The email never came. So it sat forgotten.

I like the online scrapbook option better than paper. I can't piece the picture back together after cutting it wrong but I can online.

This book was for a tour we took with Kansas City, canoeing the Buffalo National River, Hot Springs National Park and Memphis. We stayed in a couple of CCC cabins and had lots of BBQ!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“Well, my niece and I have continued to enjoy the art of quilling. We got together for a quilling morning recently and spent over 3 hours sharing ideas and quilling some cards. I've made 3 cards for the upcoming Jubilee card swap.

The card that I chose for this merit badge features a sunflower. The most time-consuming part of this project was the layering of petals (32 in total).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  1:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“I read The True History of Chocolate by Sophie D. Coe & Michael D. Coe. Then I enjoyed sampling some chocolate from our local chocolatier, Metiisto. Metiisto started their life in the heart of Sweden back in 2012. In 2018 they relocated to Toowoomba, Australia and discovered the amazing cocoa of the Pacific Islands. They use a conching technique which massages, heats and airs the chocolate for up to 4 days non-stop. This polishes the tiny cocoa particles and refines the flavour created during roasting and reduces moisture. They then “age” the chocolate for several weeks to several months to improve flavor before tempering. During the tempering process, the chocolate is remelted, cooled and warmed back to a specific temperature, to form the correct type of crystals. Once poured into moulds and cooled, the chocolate will set, leaving a glossy chocolate bar with a nice hard snap.

Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate should really only contain two ingredients, cacao liquor and sugar. Sometimes cacao butter can be added to make the chocolate smoother. Dark chocolate does not, however, contain any milk products. If you are eating a 70% dark chocolate bar, it means that 70% of the bar is comprised of pure cacao liquor, while the remaining 30% is sugar.

Milk chocolate: Milk chocolate, as the name indicates, includes milk products. Fun fact: milk can only be added to chocolate in the form of powder. In its liquid form, it would ruin the cacao liquor, causing it to instantly clump and solidify. A mixture of cacao liquor, sugar, milk powder, and sometimes cacao butter, is what a milk chocolate bar is made of.

White chocolate: Unbeknown to most, there is actually no cacao liquor in white chocolate! It is comprised of only cacao butter, sugar, and milk powders. Because of its high butter content, its melting point is a lot lower than that of milk or dark chocolates. Given that the price of cacao butter has increased over the years, many large manufacturers sadly use vegetable oil substitutes to make white chocolate, meaning there is sometimes no actual cacao in the chocolate bar!

Most large manufacturers mix beans from different origins with little regard for the distinct flavor profile of each individual bean in an attempt to create a standardized and universal chocolate flavor, the one most of us grew up to believe was the only option. The cacao’s true flavor is then further masked by milk, fats, and other artificial flavorings. As a result, most chocolate eaters do not realize the incredible diversity in flavor that cacao can really have. The percentage on a chocolate bar label refers to the percentage of the bar that is made from pure cacao beans. Today, most inexpensive store-bought chocolate bars include very low amounts of actual chocolate overshadowed by cheap oils and artificial chemical additives.

Metiisto doesn't make any white chocolate. I sampled a 70% dark chocolate (cocoa beans, sugar, cocoa butter), & a 55% milk chocolate (cocoa beans, sugar, cocoa butter, whole milk powder).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“For the Intermediate level Calligraphy badge, I've handwritten calligraphy letters to 5 friends and a birthday card. I've also done certificates of achievement and my herb recipe cards in calligraphy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“For the last two weeks, I took 15 minutes to relax. I did not multitask. I just relaxed. I had some tea and enjoyed time alone. It was nice just to relax.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I took a painting class and it was relaxing. I enjoyed painting my picture. I kept doing my relaxation for another month for 15 minutes a day. I really enjoyed doing this merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  12:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I meditated for 21 more days. I did the breathing exercises, listened to soft music, and practiced just being quiet for about 10 minutes every day. It was fun to do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  1:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“My husband and I unplugged for 3 days. We actually started on a Thursday and went through to Saturday because I do shift work and this time suited us better. We took the ferry out to World Heritage-listed Fraser Island on Thursday morning and camped until Saturday afternoon.

Sculpted from wind, sand and surf, the striking blue freshwater lakes, crystalline creeks, giant dunes and lush rainforests of this gigantic sandbar form an enigmatic island paradise unlike anywhere else. Created over hundreds of thousands of years from sand drifting off the east coast of mainland Australia, Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world.

I had no trouble unplugging. I don't have a smartphone anyway, so it's easy for me to switch off for lengthy periods. My husband, however, struggled - he finds it hard to disconnect, especially from his work, so this was a great exercise for him. There is limited cell phone reception out on the island, so he didn't have much choice.

We enjoyed our days hiking in the rainforests and amongst the sand dunes. We went swimming in the beautiful Eli Creek, explored the rotting hulk of the Maheno, a former passenger liner which was blown ashore by a cyclone in 1935, and mingled with the wildlife.

By the early afternoon, we would set up our camp for the night (behind the sand dunes away from high tide), put out our camp chairs and enjoy some time reading and simply engaging in conversation. We cooked our meals each night on the camp oven (there is a fire ban on Fraser Island, so no open camp fires allowed).

It was so nice to go to bed when the sun went down at about 7pm and then we would wake again at sun rise (6am) ready for another day of adventure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“A Jubilee is the celebration of the anniversary of a special event, especially one celebrating twenty-five or fifty years of a reign or activity.

The word jubilee comes from the Hebrew word yobel, which means “ram’s horn trumpet.” If you’ve ever celebrated the Jewish New Year, it’s possible you've heard a ram’s horn trumpet played to mark the jubilee. In Judaism, the Jubilee Year is a year of emancipation and restoration provided by ancient Hebrew law to be kept every 50 years by the emancipation of Hebrew slaves and restoration of alienated lands to their former owners.

The year 2012 marked the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II being the 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II on 6 February 1952. Following the tradition of the Queen's Silver and Golden Jubilees, commemorative events were held throughout the Commonwealth of Nations. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh toured the United Kingdom and other members of the Royal Family toured the rest of the Commonwealth as the monarch's representatives. The jubilee celebrations marked the beginning of the withdrawal of the Duke of Edinburgh from public life and a more prominent role for the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry in commonwealth affairs. Numerous events and tributes were held over the year and throughout the Commonwealth, culminating in a jubilee pageant held in London.

The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust was set up as a charitable foundation with a mission to leave a lasting legacy across the Commonwealth. At the 2011 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth, Australia, British Prime Minister David Cameron announced the creation of the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, which was officially launched in the UK on 6 February 2012. The trust was intended to support charitable organisations and projects across the Commonwealth of Nations, focusing on areas such as cures for diseases and the promotion of all types of culture and education. In early 2012, Prime Minister of Australia Julia Gillard announced the Australian Crown-in-Council would make an A$5.4 million contribution to the trust.

The lighting of thousands of beacons across the Commonwealth took place on 4 June. The number of beacons was originally set at 2,012. The first beacon of the Jubilee was lit on the grounds of Apifo'ou College in Nuku#699;alofa, Tonga, by Tongan Girl and Boy Scouts using coconut sheath torches. Other nations, including Kenya, Australia, New Zealand, India, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, and several Caribbean states, took part in the beacon lighting. In the United Kingdom, British servicemen and women wounded in battle and individuals representing charities carried beacons to the summits of the UK's four highest peaks.The Queen lit the beacon outside Buckingham Palace at 10:30 pm. The lighting proceeded until the final beacon was lit in Canada eight hours later.

My sister and I organized a special jubilee celebration for my parents’ 40th (ruby) wedding anniversary in 2016. We arranged a lunch with 40 of their closest family and friends. We had Mum’s wedding dress and one of their bridesmaids’ dresses on display as well as a photo display inside the lid of an old suitcase. Inside the suitcase we had 40 cards listing 40 significant moments over their married life. After the lunch we showed a slide show of photographs presenting their life together. It was such a special occasion.

I have shared 2 ideas for how to celebrate a Farmgirl Jubilee on the chatroom: - in true British form, I have suggested sharing a “high tea” with fellow farmgirls (including 3-tier cake stand and all); and a friendship bracelet swap to honour our farmgirl friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  1:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“To create our emergency kit, we simply started out with our existing camping box and added the pieces that we didn't yet have. Our camping box was a sealed, waterproof box that already had headlamps and batteries, toilet paper and garbage bags, water purification filter, basic cooking equipment, billy to boil water, rain ponchos, compass, whistle, space blankets, sunscreen, insect repellent, and fire starters & matches. This allowed us to be relatively self sufficient when camping. We always keep the box restocked after every use and it's easy to grab and throw in the car in the event of an emergency.

The items that we have added to our camping box in order to make it a duel purpose emergency kit include:
-bottled water and packaged food for 3 days;
-battery charger for phone;
-spare clothes and hat;
-safety goggles;
-battery-powered radio;

Because we live in a rural area, we have a generator in the garage in the event of sustained power outages.

We always had a first aid kit in the garage, but now I have put it together on the shelf next to our emergency kit.

We have scanned important documents (eg copies of birth certificates, passports, drivers license) and photos onto our computer, so we just need to grab the laptop and go.

I have created emergency contact cards for my husband and myself which include:
-Ergon energy;
-Somerset Regional Council;
-Esk Hospital;
-RACQ;
-AHM (health);
-Heritage bank (home & contents insurance);
-our immediate neighbours”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  2:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Kelly Schoff (Kelly Schoff, #4115) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept a gratitude journal for a month and read a passage from The Book of Awesome each day.

I think it helped to end each day with focusing on gratefulness and positivity, even on days that were maybe a little difficult.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page