Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  1:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I chose to complete this merit badge on International Nurses' Day. The International Council of Nurses (ICN) has celebrated this day since 1965. In January 1974, May 12th was chosen to celebrate the day as it is the anniversary of the birth of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. The theme for this year is 'Nursing the World to Health' as these healthcare workers have been at the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic.

I wrote a letter to our local newspaper "The High Country Herald" to encourage readers to acknowledge a nurse or midwife who has touched their life over the past 12 months (see copy of article attached).

I also wrote a thank you card to my friend, Karen, who is a registered nurse at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane. She works in the Emergency Department and, as they are a major referral centre for the State, she is a very busy woman. I thought International Nurses' Day would be an appropriate time to let her know she is appreciated.
I am still enjoying The Book of Awesome - now up to page 274.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“In Australia, food allergies are estimated to affect 1-2% of adults and 4-8% of children under 5 years of age. Recent Australian data indicates that 10% of children under one year have a proven food allergy.

The most common foods that cause allergic reactions in children and adults in Australia are cow's milk, eggs, peanuts, other nuts (tree nuts, including cashews, pistachios, walnuts), seafood (crustaceans and fish), gluten/wheat, and soy.

I am aware of the following allergies amongst my family and friends:-
Irene - lactose;
Jess - lactose;
Hannah - eggs;
Andrew - requires low-histamine diet due to histamine allergy;
Marie - potatoes, gluten, lactose;
Me - gluten;

Due to her egg allergy, 3 items at the grocery store that my niece (Hannah) cannot eat include salad dressings containing egg (eg, caesar salad dressing), custard, and ice-cream.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  2:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Wetzel (becsbecaw, #8348) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I put together a sewing kit including thread, buttons, scissors, needles, straight pins, and safety pins. I just recently bought my first sewing machine – a Singer Patchwork, and I have also purchased some fabric cutting tools, a large cutting mat, and a few different clear acrylic rulers.

I played with my new sewing machine, learning how to thread the bobbin and machine and get it running with a straight stitch. I found a pattern for a simple sprocket pincushion online and used my sewing machine to make my own pincushion.

Putting together a sewing kit was very straightforward and easy, and I know I'll use it as I learn how to use my new sewing machine and start working on bigger projects. My first sewing project – a homemade pinkeeper/pincushion went okay. I did not do a great job at lining up the seams to keep the corners straight, and then when I sewed on the bottom fabric, I forgot to invert it to keep right edges together. I think I'll try to make a second and better pincushion, before I start working on bigger projects.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  2:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Rea Nakanishi, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I stayed with a farm family for three days.
I helped clean and sort items in the family farm home. Also helped clean the stable area and dog area. We also planted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, beans, and carrots!

It was a fun three days filled with a lot of work, but it is nice to get to help someone accomplish some of their tasks. Along with the work also comes great conversation and friendship.
My friend also provided dinners and lunch so when it was Cinco de Mayo, I was able to get tacos and we enjoyed a taco feast dinner together. The days started early in the morning and went ;ong and into the night but well worth the effort over the three days.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  2:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I answered the questions for the Intermediate level. This was a great refresher on our nation’s political system. High school civics was a long time ago. I knew most of the answers right off, but I admit I did double-check a couple of facts, just to be sure I was remembering those lessons correctly. On to Expert!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I researched and answered the questions for Expert Level. It turned out great! As with the previous levels, there were a lot of answers I already knew for sure. But there were a couple that required me to do some review. Stepping outside the box of what you think you know in order to confirm or correct your knowledge is always a good thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Cypriana Corey (Cypriana, #8360) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a hat with Japanese Noro Yarn "Silk Garden" from my favorite yarn store, The Yarn Basket in Chico.

I used a usa 8 circular needle, started out with seed stitch, and the rest is in knit stitch.

I like it but there are mistakes in the last rows. I lost count when I was decreasing
but Noro yarn is fabulous #128522;, so it turned out cute.

I'm a slow beginner knitter. I had just started a class when Covid shut down class.
took me about 4-1/2 hours to complete.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 17 2021 :  2:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (GinnyBelle, #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I dug out the guide to North American birds that my husband found a couple years ago at a library sale and started flipping through it. Using the shaded map, I paid special attention to the birds that were shaded for our area and made a list of the ones that were of special interest to me.

Most of my see in the wild wish list, it turns out, I have already seen many times in the wild, so my wish list became more of a list for birds I hope to attract to our yard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Macrame Merit Badge!

“I did some research and learned some more knots. I learned the gathering knot and the half-hitch knot. I did not know those. I then started an intermediate macrame project. I did some research on some things that I could make. I chose to make a small wall hanging using two different knots on it and turning them into feathers by fringing the ends of the rope. I had to make two trips to the store to get enough rope to complete it. It took me about 10 hours to finish. I really had fun making this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I learned how to change the oil in the car. I drained the oil in an old plastic container, I then took it to a recycling center to be recycled. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I spent some time doing maintenance on the vehicle. I did 4 different things to earn this merit badge. I rotated the tires. I flushed the contaminated brake fluid. The car was in need of brake repair so I changed the calipers and pads. It turned out good. I had fun doing it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I learned about the three basic elements of music: rhythm, melody, and harmony. I listened to three different genres of music. The first one I listened to was classical. The elements of classical music were simple melodies and sophisticated harmonies. The second one I listened to was country. Country music is a comedy set to music usually with a story. The third one I chose was sacred music. Church hymns are used for worship and require that the followers sing along. It was fun listening to the music.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“The composer I chose is George Gershwin, famous for a lot of swing music during the World War Two era. The musician I chose is Elton John—very flamboyant, very popular. Elton John and George Gershwin both play the piano which is their principal instrument and they are both composers. The difference is George Gershwin's music is considered classical and Elton John's music is considered rock and roll. And by the way, I love Elton John's music.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“The instrument I chose to learn to play was the desk bells. I learned how to play farmer in the Dell, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, On Top of Old Smokey, Ring Around the Rosie's, and a few other songs. I do not have much musical talent. However, my husband is very good at music and he helped me to learn it and get a little bit of rhythm so it actually sounded pretty good. I go to church every Sunday and I get to hear the choir concert while I'm there. I did attend two choir concerts. I had fun and really did enjoy learning how to play a musical instrument.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a shawl for my daughter-in-law for Christmas. It took me over 50 hrs to make. I also taught five other people to knit. I learned three different stitches. I think it turned out pretty good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I ordered some ChillOver Powder so I could do this merit badge. I explored some of the recipes in the Ideabook and I liked him all. I then hosted a ChillOver taste test with my daycare kids and my family. We made two different recipes together. One was fruit punch and one was apple. This was all new to us because we've only ever used jell-o so it was like getting real apple juice and actual fruit punch and actually make it as opposed to adding hot water and put in refrigerator. It tasted good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I created a new ChillOver recipe and shared it on the Farmgirl Connection. I made orange-cherry and just orange. This was the first time I've made orange-cherry. This is exciting for me. It tasted very good—it was delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I created two more chill over recipes and put them online on the Farmgirl Connection chatroom so people could see what I made. I then had a small party with my little daycare kids, and again in my family. We all very much enjoyed them. The ChillOver powder is awesome to work with. I love it. I will be purchasing more in the future. I made an orange-peach and a cherry-strawberry for my two new recipes. I liked how it turned out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:43:54 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I checked all my doors in my house and gave the hinge a little oil if needed. My bike chain did not need oil. I cleaned all the garden tools. I liked doing this. Now I know what tools I need to get.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I made sure all the locks are in good working order. I have one door that I needed to take off the hinges. I then put it back on the hinges so it would close the right way. The door would not close all the way because it was not hung the right way. The door now closes very nicely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:45:52 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“What I have learned about grass-fed beef is that it is much healthier. You get more nutrients and more vitamins from the meat. Corporately raised cattle are not grass-fed. There's a lot of bad things basically put into the animals so the meat is not as nutritious and does not give you as many vitamins and minerals as you should have and it doesn't taste as good. The corporate-fed beef is higher in fat content and not the good fat. Corporate-fed beef is fed a fatty diet of grain. Grass-fed beef eats the grass. It's lower in fat which makes better meat. I don’t eat beef. But if I did, I think I would go with the grass-fed beef. The organic is the best obviously for your health. I learned a lot more about beef.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“I did some research on the history of stained glass found out that evidence of stained glass windows has been documented in British stories as early as the 7th century with the earliest known reference being in 675AD. I found some of the most famous artists who designed dazzling stained-glass windows: Kehinde Wiley, Judy Chicago, Marc Chagall, Gerhard Richter, Henri Matisse, and Sigmar Polke. My favorite is the Sainte-Chapelle, mid-13th century. I like it because it is so beautiful. To modern viewers, stained-glass windows may seem purely decorative, but in the Middle Ages, they illustrated not only biblical narratives but also local history and political authority. The 15 tall windows of Sainte-Chapelle, on Paris’s central Ile de la Cité, depict tales from the Old and New Testaments – and also holy relics being brought to Paris by King Louis IX – now known as Saint Louis. I drove around my town and walked around the catholic churches. They all had stained-glass windows. So very pretty. I love stained glass and liked doing this merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:47:21 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“I went on YouTube and looked at different tutorials on how to make stained glass. There are no nearby exhibits of stained-glass art in my area. My son, Nicholas, got baptized in the Catholic Church and we were invited to see it in that church. There are beautiful stained-glass windows in the Church. I was given a small tour of the church and got to see a bunch of stained-glass windows. Oh my gosh they are so pretty!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Through the Looking Glass Merit Badge!

“Stained glass comes in many different forms you could do stain glass painting, or cut glass and solder the pieces together, you could also do stained glass by melting plastic or glass. I made three stained glass pieces of little suncatchers of a cactus, a dragon, and a slice of pizza. I made three of them because I wanted one for myself and two for my other two friends.

The process I used was metal outside edging and then I purchased little pieces of plastic and put it in the middle of each one and then baked it in my oven until it melted, I love how it turned out. I taught two other people how to do this. I put a string on each of them in hung a suction cup on my sliding glass window. When I was a teenager, I did a lot of stained-glass paintings.

I think they all turned out good, and I had fun making them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  11:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Wetzel (becsbecaw, #8343) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I learned how to add pictures and customize my blog in the Intermediate Level – it just seemed like a big part of “starting your blog”, and the first steps after deciding on a host and domain. Wordpress makes it super easy with different pre-made themes you can install. I started my blog on March 25, 2021 and made my ten blog posts (each with photos – of course) on May 15, 2021. I started to interact and visit different blogs from within the GirlGab.com community, as well as finding blogs that cover similar topics like mine. I’ve expanded my Instagram network to other homestead bloggers as well.

So far, I'm enjoying my blog – and think I am doing a great job at building it up with more blog posts. I do realize that my blog may only be read and loved by my husband and mom, but you need to start somewhere! I'm determined to keep at this for a while and hope that with more worthwhile content that I may start to garner national readership. I have started to create Pinterest and Instagram posts as a clickbait way to get more readers.

You can find my blog at https://wetzelgardens.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page