Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 18 2021 :  11:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I first signed up to do the Old MacDonald Had A Farm 46.6 mile challenge, then signed up for the Bee Kind 5k. I completed the Bee Kind 5k and I am currently 17 more miles away from finishing the 46.6 challenge.

I also signed up for the No Prob Llama 5K since I own llamas, and then I signed up for the Hot Chocolate 5K and the USA 5k.

When I am done with all of these, I want to do the military challenges for Navy and Army, and then for more fun do the Manatee, Sea Turtle, and Dolphin 5K races. This has been fun.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I looked around my house for items I could use to glam up my tent. I found my pearls. I looked at the local thrift shop and I found the welcome sign. I set up my tent in my yard and decorated it with my sign, the pearls, a chair, a table blankets and pillows. I shared my photos on Farmgirl Connection. It turned out nice.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  10:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“Well let me start off by saying I wish I had borrowed the glamping book 1st before having the event because I found the book was really helpful in the appetizer section. I also enjoyed reading about the trailers and hitching up and chalking your tires in the glamping book. I invited my girlfriend's Rea and Allie to our glamping event. Rea was able to stay from May 3rd through May 6th and camped in the RV. We had a Cinco de Mayo celebration and decorated the RV in tropical Luau style.

For fun, we prepared snacks and appetizers and made our recipe cards. We dressed up in aprons, hats, funny scarves and had a lot of fun. It was fun. We are doing this again in July when we do the stargazing badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  10:46:36 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I've made the commitment to my animals to take really good care of them for years. We joke that on our ranch 2 things happen. Number one the animals never die and number 2 it is a fertile ranch because animals get pregnant here where they didn't get pregnant at the breeders. I looked online for holistic veterinarians and did not find any in my area. Our vet does the most humane treatments techniques and processes possible. I looked at my pet food labels, my dog food is wheat based but it has a lower protein, lower fat, and is not GMO.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I researched the history of buttons on several different Internet sites. The Era I liked the best was the 1800's because during this timeframe, the buttons were still made from paper, leather, wood, and hand stamping. Fabric was being added as a covering. The more ornate buttons started to show up such as the Lincoln commemoratives. I have collected more than 10 different kinds of antique buttons including wood, clay, porcelain, metal, and rubber.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  10:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I looked at the packaging of products in the store to increase purchases of items with either biodegradable or recyclable packaging. I also researched ways to clean my home without using toxic cleaners. Also, I committed to using any many safe products as I can. I'm learning to make my own products.

I've been trying to use products that have biodegradable or recyclable packaging for a long time. I try to buy the larger refill sizes whenever I can. It really does save on packaging that goes into trash or recycling. I've also discovered a great many products that I'm going to try out at home. I also found that I can buy glass spray bottles from a company called Grove. I will be replacing my spray bottles with those when my bottles crack or no longer work. I love the window spray that I made from vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and water. I'm going to continue to use it! This has been fun for me and very eye-opening!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Geography Merit Badge!

“My husband and I have a beautiful old globe that we purchased when we were still living in Olympia, WA. We used to enjoy spinning the globe and picking random places that we would dream of visiting. We enjoy travelling and I studied geography as one of my senior subjects at highschool.

There are 7 continents – Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America and South America. Beijing, China is the world’s largest capital city with a population of about 21.5 million. The smallest capital city in Ngerulmud, Palau with a population of just 400. The oceans of the world are connected and are actually one huge body of water called the global ocean (which covers approx. 71% of the surface of the Earth). The 5 oceans from smallest to largest are: the Arctic, Southern, Indian, Atlantic, and Pacific.

I then decided to look up some further obscure geographical facts. For example:-
• Africa is the only continent situated in all the four hemispheres – the western, the eastern, the northern and the southern;
• The earth is home to 7.3 billion people, yet 6.57 billion live north of the equator;
• Iceland, divided by the North American and European tectonic plates, is growing by nearly 5cm per year as the plates grow wider apart;
• Russia has 11 times zones;
• Originally built on a lake in 1325AD, Mexico City is currently sinking by about 3.2 feet per year.

Cartography is the study and practice of making and using maps. The oldest recorded route that we have evidence of is a 9ft wall painting, found in 1963 of a town plan, showing buildings and a volcano, found in Anatolia, dated 6100-6300BC. We also know the early representation of maps and routes by the old Egyptians were on papyrus, but due to the short life of this type of surface, few evidences made it to our time.

It was the Greek civilization that helped to develop enormously the understanding of cartography as an important science for the society in general. Ptolemy, Herodotus, Anaximander, Eratosthenes, all had tremendous influence on western earth sciences, including geography. They performed deep study of the size and shape of the earth and its habitable areas, climatic zones and country positions. Anaximander, for instance, was the first to draw a map of the known world, while Pythagoras of Samos speculated about the notion of a spherical earth with a central fire at its core. When the geographers of the Greek era started estimating scientifically the circumference of the earth, a huge impulse was given to the cartographic science. Eratosthenes, already in the 3rd century BC, contributed greatly to the history of geographic knowledge with his Geography and accompanying world map.

During Roman times, cartographers focused on practical uses: military and administrative needs. Their need to control the Empire in the financial, economic, political, and military aspects, made evident the need to have maps of administrative boundaries, physical features, or road networks. Roman maps where more or less restricted to the area comprised by what they called “Mare Nostrum”, since this was the core of the Roman Empire and around which all the administrative regions were distributed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“We are coming to the end of autumn, so it is time to start “putting away for the winter”. At this time of year, we have an abundance of citrus, and my passionfruit vine is dropping ripe passionfruits every day. I also have more rosella calyxes than I currently need, so I have chosen to freeze these products.

I find the best way to freeze citrus is to juice them, then put the juice into ice cube containers. This makes it easy to pop out a few tablespoons of lemon or lime juice as needed for recipes throughout the coming months. If I know I’m going to need a larger amount, for example when I make Lemon Butter, then I can put the juice into larger containers.

The passionfruit pulp is easy to scoop out and put into small containers for freezing. I like to add the pulp to desserts or smoothies.

The Rosella bush produces red edible calyxes that are high in vitamin C. They have a pleasant tart-sweet flavour that goes well in salads, jellies, red sauces, jams, cordials, syrups, fruit teas and wine. First, sever off the stem, then cut a slit lengthwise along the calyx and pop out the seed pod using your fingers. This will leave you with the sweet calyx flesh, intact and ready for cooking. I freeze the calyxes in zip-lock bags ready for making jam, and I freeze the seed pods separately. I boil these and add the strained liquid during the jam making process.

I have shared these techniques on the Farmgirl Chatroom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I had been accepted as part of a medical team who travel to Cambodia twice each year to perform eye surgeries. We were almost ready to go when COVID-19 hit and all international flights were cancelled. I still hope to be able to travel to Cambodia in the future, so I have decided to research their culture and language further to prepare myself for such a journey.

Khmer is spoken by some 13 million people in Cambodia where it is the official language. Cambodians traditionally greet each other with palms together, in a manner of prayer. They lift up their hands to chest level and bow slightly. This is called Sam peah. In general, the higher the hands and lower the bow, the more respect is being shown. The formal greeting is “Choum Reap Sor” and should be said while sam peahing. The more informal “Susaday” is reserved for casual situations and does not involve sam peah.

I have learned how to count to ten. 1 – muuy, 2 – pii, 3 – bei, 4 – buan, 5 – phrum. Once you know the numbers 1-5, the rule to remember the numbers 6 through 9 is the format ‘5 + n’ format, so 6 is phrum muuy, 7 becomes phrum pii, 8 is phrum bei, 9 – phrum buan, then 10 is dob. From 11, it then proceeds to dob muuy (ten-one), dob-pii (ten-two), etc.

Other helpful phrases are “Soksaby” which means “How are you and I am fine”. “Lee hi” which is an informal goodbye. “Sohm toh” means “excuse me/sorry”. “Sohm” means “please”, and “aw kohn” means “thank you”.

For many older Cambodians, life is centred on family, faith and food, an existence that has stayed the same for centuries. Families stick together, solve problems collectively, listen to the wisdom of the elders and pool resources. The extended family comes together during times of trouble and times of joy, celebrating festivals and successes, mourning deaths and disappointments. Whether the Cambodian house is big or small, there will be a lot of people living inside. For the majority of the population still living in the countryside, these constants carry on as they always have: several generations sharing the same roof, the same rice and same religion. But during the dark decades of the 1970s and 1980s, this routine was ripped apart by war and ideology, as the peasants were dragged into a bloody civil war and later forced into slavery. The Khmer Rouge organization Angkar took over as the moral and social beacon in the lives of the people. Families were forced apart, children turned against parents, brothers against sisters. The bond of trust was broken and is only slowly being rebuilt today. Cambodia is set for major demographic shifts in the next couple of decades. Currently, just 20% of the population lives in urban areas, which contrasts starkly with the country’s more developed neighbours, such as Malaysia and Thailand. Increasing numbers of young people are likely to migrate to the cities in search of opportunity, forever changing the face of contemporary Cambodian society. However, for now at least, Cambodian society remains much more traditional then that of Thailand and Vietnam.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I chose to research influential Cambodian - Arn Chorn-Pond. Arn Chorn-Pond is a musician, human rights activist, and a survivor of the Khmer Rouge regime. He is an advocate for the healing and transformative power of the arts, and especially music.

Arn was born in Cambodia in 1966 into a Battambang family of performers and musicians. According to Arn in a 2006 article: "My family owned an opera company. The National Charity Company, as we were called, performed in temples, opera houses and mayors’ compounds throughout the country. Many people knew my father, grandfather, and uncle through their performances, which had become legendary. Since the family ran the company, all of us performed. When I was six or seven, I often played the role of a baby. Somebody would say “Cry!” and I’d cry...My father and uncle trained my older cousin, in his teens at the time, to perform the main roles in traditional Cambodian operas." After his father died in a 1969 motorcycle accident, his mother, who ran a vegetable stall, gave him away to be raised by a childless aunt and uncle.

He was 11 years old when the Khmer Rouge swept to power in Cambodia in 1975, and by 1979 nearly two million people, a quarter of the population, were executed or died from starvation, torture or untreated disease. Arn was separated from his family and forced to walk to one of the many work camps set up around Cambodia where he survived by playing the flute and keeping the soldiers entertained. In a 2002 interview Arn described how his survival depended on repressing his emotions and distancing himself from the horror of his situation: "I was in a temple where they killed three or four times a day. They told us to watch and not to show any emotion at all. They would kill us if we reacted...if we cried, or showed that we cared about the victims. They would kill you right away. So I had to shut it all off...I can shut off everything in my body, practically, physically. I saw them killing people right in front of me, the blood was there, but I didn't smell it. I made myself numb...The killing was unbearable. You go crazy if you smell the blood."

Eventually, he escaped into the jungle where he survived for months by himself. "I followed monkeys and ate whatever they ate. I fished with my hands and ate fruits, and killed monkeys, too." In late 1980 he crossed the border into Thailand and a Thai Soldier took him to the Sa Kaeo Refugee Camp. There he met the Reverend Peter L. Pond. "He weighed about 60 pounds and he was very sick," Reverend Pond later recalled, "He had cerebral malaria and he was really close to death...This sick little child reached up and touched me, and said in English, 'Hello.' That...was Arn Chorn from the very first, reaching out and touching." Reverend Pond took Arn to Jefferson, New Hampshire and formally adopted him in 1984. In all, Pond adopted 16 Cambodian children, mostly orphans, including one who eventually became Rhode Island's first Cambodian physician, Dr. Soneath Pond.

During his initial months in the US, Arn experienced difficulties as one of the first non-white students to attend White Mountains Regional High School. He graduated from Gould Academy in Maine in 1985, attended Northfield Mount Hermon School and attended Brown University for two years before withdrawing to co-found Children of War, an organization dedicated to help young people to overcome suffering from war and other traumas such as child abuse, poverty, racism and divorce. From its inception in 1984 through 1988, Children of War trained a core leadership group of 150 young people representing twenty-one countries. More than 100,000 U.S. students from 480 schools participated in the program. In 1992 Arn received a bachelor's degree in political science from Providence College and in 2007 the school awarded him an honorary Doctorate of Humanitarian Service.

Arn was also one of the few surviving Cambodians to return to the refugee camps on the Thai-Cambodian border. While attending college in Rhode Island, Arn devoted his summers from 1986 through 1988 to teaching and assisting those still displaced by war. He was also the youngest Cambodian involved in diplomatic efforts for reconciliation. While a student at Providence College, Arn co-founded the Southeast Asian Big Brother/Big Sister Association in Providence and founded Peace Makers, a US-based gang intervention program for Southeast Asian youths in Providence. In 1993 he returned to Cambodia and founded the Cambodian Volunteers for Community Development.

In 1998 he founded the Cambodian Master Performers Program, which grew into Cambodian Living Arts. The organization's original mission was to revive the endangered traditional performing arts in Cambodia by locating former masters or trained professional musicians and helping them to pass on their skills and knowledge to the next generation. Cambodian Living Arts has since expanded its scope of programming to include scholarships, fellowships, workshops, training, commissions, arts education, and a cultural enterprise that provides enriching job opportunities to Cambodian performing artists.

Arn Chorn-Pond was one of the first recipients of the Reebok Human Rights Award in 1988, and he received the 1991 Amnesty International Human Rights Award, the 1993 Kohl Foundation International Peace Prize, and the 1996 Spirit of Anne Frank Outstanding Citizen Award. Arn now lives outside of Phnom Penh.

Some additional Cambodian phrases that I am learning are:-
niak ch'muah ei = "What's your name?";
nih th'lay pohnmaan = "How much is it?";
sohm kuht lui = "The bill, please."”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I'm getting rid of all my household cleaners that are not "green". I wrote a mission statement for my home pledging to use only green cleaners in the future. I'm building a binder of recycle and green living ideas. I'm sharing it with my friend.

I'm using up my cleaners and replacing them with green cleaners as I go along. I use green window and all-purpose cleaners. The mission statement was not as hard to write as I had anticipated. My friend and I are enjoying the notebook that I'm putting together. She is not using green cleaners yet, but likes the idea for the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer for the movie at vanishingbees.com. I've planted and am continuing to plant bee-friendly plants in my front and back yards. I read Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

I enjoyed the trailer for the movie. My husband and I are planning to watch the whole thing. I love having the bees in the yard and enjoy watching them as they move from plant to plant. I love having them in my vegetable garden! The book was great. I read it in three days because I couldn't put it down.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I researched the different types of wax used to make candles. I studied the different ways to scent candles, learning which ways were better than others. I researched the different ways of coloring candles.

There are so many different types of wax; some are better for certain types of candles than others. I found an article that stated that certain types of wax were less toxic or irritating than others and an article that said that all waxes were safe to use. I think that I will err on the side of caution when making candles. With some of the scent methods, more product was necessary than with other types, causing a greater expense in creating them. I also learned that using pigments to color candles was not a good way to color them as pigments clog up the wicks. I found out that one needs to take care when choosing containers for candlemaking so that the candles are safe to burn.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I researched birds that are native to my area. I wrote a wish list of birds that I would like to see in the wild.

I love to watch birds and have been feeding them in my yard for quite a while! It was fun to research the different birds that are native to the area in which I live, and to realize that I have seen several of them. I enjoyed finding out the names of some of the birds that I have seen before in my yard. One of the birds on my wish list is the bald eagle. I have seen brown eagles, but don't recall ever having seen a bald eagle in the wild.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have 3 different compost heaps on my ranch. I have maintained them for more than 3 months. One is for animal manure waste, hay debris, and some tree limbs. The 2nd compost area is mainly wood and tree limbs. The 3rd compost is for kitchen scraps, garden clippings, egg cartons, soil and grass clippings. I also work animal shearing into the soil for extra nitrogen and egg shells for extra calcium. I read the book The Earth Moved by Amy Stewart.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I can get my locally raised beef, pork, or lamb from Hanson Family Farms. They are about 20 minutes away from me. I ordered a London broil from them this year. We had a friend keep their market steer on our ranch and he gave me some roasts and steaks as a thank you for letting him be on our ranch.

I finished my cheese making badge on March 13th 2021 so I know how to make my own cheese.

We recently entered our llamas at the county heritage foundation comeback show and sale May 10-16, 2021.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“The garden pest that is wrecking havoc on my garden right now is the earwig or pincer bug. A couple of ways to get rid of them are to sink a container of cooking oil with scented with soy sauce level with the ground. They will be attracted to the soy scent and drown in the oil because it's slippery and they can't get out. You have to strain the dead bugs daily, but then you can reuse the oil mixture again. Another organic remedy is to roll up a newspaper, get it damp. They like wet, moist, dark hiding areas and come out mainly at night.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  2:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“I started this badge Jan 22, 2021. I planted my vegetable garden on Feb. 12, 2021. I planted my wildflower garden on April 14, 2021. I have a fruit tree orchard on my ranch. To upgrade to more beneficial insects, my friend has loaned me 2 beehives to keep over here. I made an insect house, bird bath water source, and keep my plants watered. I have seen the bees active and have seen ladybugs and butterflies in the garden and tree orchard, so it has improved my good bug population.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile
Linda Weiss (Linda Weiss, #6093) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“This project took about an hour. While pulling everything out, I sorted things into categories: recycle, toss, re-purpose, and re-position (to a different cabinet). I then wiped out the cabinet, washed any dusty or dirty containers, and placed them all back in the cabinet.

It turned out well. Those items I use the most are in front and everything is well organized. I had some tough decisions as to what to re-purpose and what to toss. Too many containers have NO recycle symbol on them, so they've become plant dishes and their lids have been tossed. My challenge is to keep this cabinet organized. It'll be easier now, though.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Linda Weiss (Linda Weiss, #6093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Over time I've saved small paper bags (approx. 10"x8" in size) from various merchants. I already had many on hand, but found 4 more in my stash today. Included are also a net/string bag for veggies and a small pocketed cloth bag for bottles.

Collecting the bags has not been a problem. (I use the small bags because grocery store baggers overfill the larger bags or weigh them down so much that they're difficult to carry.) I had gotten out of the habit of using my bags, but will endeavor to give it another go and commit to being more green.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I chose to research Angela Merkel. She was born July 17th 1954 in Hamburg West Germany. She is a German politician who, in 2005, became the 1st female chancellor of Germany. Her father was a theology student and her mother was a teacher of Latin English so education was very important growing up. In 1989 after the fall of the Berlin wall, she joined the joined the democratic awakening and became a party press spoke person. In 1995, she presided over the United Nation's Climate Conference and in 1998, she became the Secretary General of the CDU and she became President of the CDU in 2000.

In 2005, she became the first female Chancellor and has served 3 terms in office. In 2012, she was awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom for her role in phasing out nuclear weapons in Germany.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I bought a book on the Underground Railroad Quilt Samples, and that started my interest in the underground railroad. I read a book called The Drinking Gourd, which furthered my interests. I chose Harriet Tubman as my famous woman who influenced history because of her bravery in saving many slaves before and during the Civil War. She was born Araminta Ross in Maryland 1822. Harriet was an American abolitionist and political activist. She made 13 missions and saved 70 slaves who were family and friends. Tubman helped to plan the famous raid on Harper's Ferry and during the Civil War, she was a nurse and cook, but also an armed spy and scout. She led a raid on Combahee Ferry which ended up freeing another 700 slaves. Harriet Tubman was also involved in the Women's Suffrage Movement until she became ill and died in 1913. She is an icon of courage and freedom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“Although any food can cause allergic reaction, 90% of all food allergies can be related to these 8 foods: Eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish—especially crustaceans, soy, tree nuts, and wheat. Food allergy symptoms usually develop within a few minutes to 2 hours after eating the food. The most common signs and symptoms include tingling or itching in the mouth, hives, itching or eczema, swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat or other parts of the body. Wheezing, nasal congestion or trouble breathing.

Fortunately, in my family, we do not have any food allergies. We do have allergies to medications such as penicillin, sulfa, etc ... but no food allergies.

I've been with people who are allergic to peanuts and that is all. They have to be careful and make sure what they eat is not processed near peanuts or they can have a reaction.

The 3 items I see at the store all the time that people are most allergic to is peanut butter, lobster, crab, and wheat flour.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I went online to research alternative ingredients for common food allergies and then I made chicken with white rice. I made chocolate chip cookies with gluten-free flour instead of wheat flour. I made my banana bread with no nuts this time. There was no difference in the taste of the food but I did miss not having the nuts in the the banana bread.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I researched and planted native plants in my garden to attract bees and butterflies. I planted California poppy, California buttercup, fleabane daisy, baby blue eyes, and johnny jump ups. I've maintained my habitat for 2 1/2 months, which includes the bird bath water source, an insect house, and food. I don't have any lawn to convert so I dedicated an area to a wildflower garden. I went online and watched YouTube videos on how to separate chaff from seed, save, label and store seeds. My California poppies were the first to sprout.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page