Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“I enjoyed reading the book Creative Lettering and Beyond. I especially liked the kitchen ideas, the negative space section, and the monogram section. I created 2 colorful quote sayings with my pens.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“The classical composer I chose is Hans Zimmer, best known for composing music scores in over 150 films such as: Lion King, Dunkirk, Planet Earth 2, Blade Runner series, Crimson Tide, Inception, and the Batman trilogy. Zimmer integrates electronic music with orchestral arrangements.

The musician I chose was Elvis Presley because his music was used in Blade Runner 2049. Presley music is considered country, specifically rock-a-bily and African American blues, which is a combination of gospel, rhythm and blues, and country music.

The similarities are that both composers of music can cross over into different styles of music. The difference is Zimmer is more cutting edge electronic, while Presley is rooted in country rock and roll. I shared this on Farmgirl Chatroom.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Staying Green Merit Badge!

“For the past 3 months (2/28/21-5/28/21)I have tried to use my home made cleaners. I have kept my notes in my yellow composition notebook.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Staying Green Merit Badge!

“Since February 2021, I've continued to use some of the cleaners I made. I find it hard to get rid of Windex because I am not liking the smell of lingering vinegar. The all purpose cleaner did not perform as expected, so I still revert back to Comet sometimes. I have the book Natural Solutions for Cleaning and Wellness—it's a part of my lending library and is on loan right now. I have my recipies written down in my yellow composition notebook, which has been shared in prior badgework photos. Right now, I have enough ingredients, especially after making shampoo, bath bombs etc. I am running a bit low on the castile soap, so that will be on my list the next time I go to the craft store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“Back in March 2021, the grandkids came over and helped me build some bean teepees for the garden. We have beans on them now to harvest. I also made a string trellis, the bugs ate all my sunflower starts, so I have tomato seeds going now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I spent 25 hours doing this level to earn the badge. The first thing I did was punch art. It was of a lighthouse. That took me a total of about 20 hours to do it. The second thing I did was on Chalk Couture. It is a stencil. I stenciled two T-shirts, a bag, and 3 display boards. I could not find one of the boards to take a picture of it. That took me an additional 5 more hours.

They all come out very nice. I have a head start on my Christmas gifts for this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It! Merit Badge!

“I organized my tools and they are shadowed or on a hook in their own place. I made a wood planter to put my basil plants in. I designed and cut the wood. I then glued it and used an air nail gun to put it together. I then white-washed it and painted basil on the side. I think it turned out well. I did have fun making it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I went away to a craft weekend and had friends who know how to quilt there. They helped me to learn how to quilt. I made two potholders. It took me about 4 hours to finish them. I love how they came out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  1:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“I made five bean bags for my grandson. They are all 2 shades of green, however how I made them different was by putting a piece of macrame string on each one. Four of them had a different color the fifth one had all of the colors on it. The idea was that we could change out the colors according to his age. For now, it is to teach him his colors and to teach him to pick up his toys. Certain colors would match which for him to pick up. I enjoyed making these beanbags they are 3D triangle shapes—I've never done a 3D triangle shape for a bean bag. In the past, it's always been two pieces of fabric and then stuffed. This one has three around the edges and one on the bottom.”

I think that they turned out pretty cute. Oh and plus the green fabric has a sparkly color to it so it really stands out in the sun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  1:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a full Apron with my friends at my craft weekend. I put rickrack all around the edges. I also made it colorful. I love color so much. I wore it to my friend's house to see her. I also have been wearing it every time I cook dinner. It took me 6 hrs. to make. I love how it came out—so colorful and pretty, just the way I wanted it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  1:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made two aprons, one for me and one for my daughter-in-law for Christmas. I looked on YouTube and got some ideas of what I wanted to make. I put a ruffle on the bottom of both of them. I did put some lipstick on and went to the store with mine on to show it off. My mask covered up my lipstick. LOL

They both turned out good and they are colorful like I like.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“Figuring out how much per meal everyday was interesting. Breaking down the amount of the different foods and how much you actually used. So in doing this I have decided to donate a week's worth of food ($25) to my local food bank.

It's always good to help others especially in these current times. So donating to the food bank is a good idea. I used to pack boxes at the food bank and know the need for food in my area.

I do not buy a lot of fast foods or meat. I cook most of my meals at home so my dollars per day are pretty low. In my area there are a lot of conventional and organic farms which makes vegetables very reasonable.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made buttermilk from heavy whipping cream. I made the butter and saved the buttermilk to use in pancakes. I also made buttermilk from milk with added lemon juice. I learned about proper handling of milk. Milk or cream should always be kept in the refrigerator. Good aseptic technique with the starter for cheese is to make sure everything is clean and sterilized. Proper temperature control is also very important.

I hadn't made butter to save the buttermilk in years. I have made buttermilk with lemon juice add to use in other recipes. Looking forward to making the different cheeses.”
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I started to write down some of the family recipes. It reminded me to start cooking some of the favorites again! It's a start and I'm going to continue recording some more recipes when I can meet with some family members again when Covid is over.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:37:42 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Staying Green Merit Badge!

“I started this badge on February 28th. For the expert level, I conducted my audit to find areas in my home that need additional greening up. I created a document on my computer and identified the following areas. We need to finish more house insulation, we need to rewire the well electrical, we need to rewire the barn, adding light housings and LED tube lighting. We need to put individual spotlights in 4 stalls of the barn and we need to run lights out to the overhang of the barn. I made a shopping list and a plan of action and we've put in more than 8 hours so far on the barn projects.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I read the following 2 biography books.

From the 1800s: Who was Marie Curie? and from the 1900s: National Geographic Readers: Rosa Parks.

Marie Curie was born in Warsaw Poland on November 7th 1867. Marie was forbidden to attend the male only University of Warsaw so she enrolled in the Sorbonne in Paris to study physics and mathematics. There she met a professor named Pierre Currie and the too soon married forming one of the most famous scientific partnerships in history. Together, they discovered 2 elements and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1903. Later Marie won the Nobel Prize in 1911 for isolating Radium. During World War 1, she worked on X-Rays. She helped pave the way for the discovery of the Neutron and artificial radioactivity. Quote "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
She died in 1934 after years of exposure to toxic radiation.

1900s: Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks was born in Montgomery, Alabama on February 4,1913. Both her mother and father were teachers. She received her high school diploma during a time when only 7% of the black population graduated school. Rosa Parks was a part of the Civil Rights movement before the famous bus incident where she refused to give up her seat. This incident sparked a 381 day bus boycott. 70% of the black population used the bus system and the company lost 30,000-40,000 fares per day. Rosa Parks was the 1st woman to lay in state at the US Capitol. Only 5 private citizens have been given that privilege, and she is the only woman to date.
Quote "I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free ... so other people would also be free"

I'm sharing on the Farmgirl Connection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“This badge took me a long time to earn because of reading the book; BEEF: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World. I found reading the book really long and tough. It was also pretty graphic. I have friends that raise cattle, pigs, sheep and goats. I have known them for over 20 years. They live about 20 minutes away from me so I emailed her to purchase some meat for Memorial Day weekend. Except for the book, everything else was fine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I've raised cattle for many years, and I've let other people keep cattle on my property but this year I did not raise a steer so I arranged a visit with my friends who raise cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, and goats for meat and sell the meat at farmer's markets. I went to Jim and Eileen Hanson's farm in Clayton, CA. I emailed them on May 25th and ordered a London broil for $23 to be picked up on May 29th for my Memorial Day weekend BBQ.

I arranged for my friend Allie to to come along with me so she could work on her badge too. When we interviewed Jim and Eileen we found that they had started raising their own animals when they were part of the 4-H program. Jim went to school and when Jim and Eileen got married they lived in Crockett, CA raising animals with their 4 children. Then they moved to Clayton. They now do the farmers markets in Vallejo and Livermore as well as appointments online through their website to sell their meat. They get their bacon cured up at Roundman in Sonora California. Jim prefers to raise Herford cattle instead of Angus because he feels the cattle temperaments are better and the meat is just as marbeled and fat finished as the Angus meat. Jim showed us a Pork tomahawk cut which is rare and is pictured below. You can only get this Tomahawk cut from a larger 300 pound hog. Jim and Eileen can earn between $200-2,000 per day at the farmers markets. They know what sells in different areas and pack their trailer freezers accordingly. Jim has a generator to keep the freezers cold and they store their bulk meats at a USDA meat locker facility. You can order single packages of meat or order 1/2 or a whole animals at a time. They have a celebrity chef that orders their meats for private parties. It was fun to catch up with old friends.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“I bought an Irish tin whistle several years ago and have wanted to learn to play it. I watched some YouTube videos and went over to my friends house to have her husband give some pointers. I learned how to play Mary Had A Little Lamb.
On 5/29/21, I attended the OSB Band performance in Antioch.
On 5/29/21, I attended the Triple Treble Band performance in Antioch.

It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I looked on the internet for easy recipes to replace the commercial products we buy for our pets and I found a really good and easy dog shampoo to make it home. I went to the local pet stores to look at all the different products they have and read the labels to see if they are toxic. Our rescue dog is spayed, fully vaccinated, and licensed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I learned how to put away different types of fresh produce by laying them flat on a cookie sheet and freezing them first, then putting them into an airtight container in layers to freeze them. I tried carrots, bell pepper, bananas and cantaloupe. I shared this information on the Farmgirl Connection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  10:54:09 AM  Show Profile
Linda Weiss (Linda Weiss, #6093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I spent an hour or so looking up info on cruelty-free and organic beauty products and methods of production.

I tried my hand at making deodorant using baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, and orange essential oil.

I'm more motivated now to search out and buy those items labeled organic and/or Leaping Bunny.

Tomorrow I'll try wearing the deodorant and, hopefully, have odor-free pits. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I learned how to freeze several different types of fresh produce. The ones I chose were mushrooms, corn on the cob, and strawberries. To freeze the strawberries, I laid them on a cookie sheet and froze them. When they were frozen, I moved them to a gallon freezer bag and put them in the freezer. For the mushrooms, I sliced and stir-fried with a little bit of butter. I then put them in a colander to drain off all the juice and let it sit there for a bit to cool off. I then put them in a freezer bowl. And put it in the freezer. For the corn on the cob, I husked the corn then put them in a gallon zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. I have done this before and know that it tastes pretty good.

I had fun doing this one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I dehydrated three different products: Strawberries, apples, and mushrooms. I made a family dinner using each one of these ingredients. I made a tossed salad with strawberries and apples (with other things in it of course). I then made spaghetti sauce with the dehydrated mushrooms and my spice blend. The spice blend that I used was my oregano, parsley, and basil blend.

My family loved it turned out really good—especially the spaghetti sauce.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I learned how to make cheese. The cheese tasted really good too. I will make more cheese later on because it tasted so good. I then went to a friend's farm and took pictures of their animals and turn them into cards. I bought some meat from a local farmer Hanson Family Farm. The bacon was so good.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page