Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  1:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“During the renovation process of our old Queenslander home, we used a number of "green" alternatives when renovating and decorating our home. Some of these included: energy-saving lightbulbs through the entire house, solar lights outdoors, indoor pot plants, black-out curtains for their cooling properties in the hot summer months, second-hand furniture and old furniture that we chose to up-cycle, and use of non-toxic paints. We also pulled all of the old carpet up to reveal beautiful timber floors. We had these professionally polished throughout the main living areas with an environmentally sustainable floor polish and then I painted the floor in our walk-in closet and sleep-out with a low VOC white floor paint. When we fixed up the casement windows, we reused the old casements but replaced the glass, sanded the timber window frames back and finished them with a clear polish. Reusing as many of the old fixtures as possible was not only a cost-saving exercise, but it also meant that we could maintain the heritage features of the house specific to the era in which it was built.

One of my most recent projects was to create a photo hall in our hallway. I had a lot of old frames in various shapes, sizes and colours. After much thought, I decided to recycle them. I painted them all black and scattered them in a display of black and white photos. I was really happy with the end result and I didn't have to buy any new frames.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  1:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“My husband and I have continued to spend time with our elderly friend from church, Margaret. Margaret has lived alone since the sad passing of her husband, Graham. She has a supportive family, although they do live approx. 1-2 hours away. We continue to pick Margaret up most Sundays and take her to church with us. She (& Graham) have been long-term members of the church and the community. She has many friends at church and enjoys the fellowship. We drive her home from church and this is when we usually engage in conversation and, at times, will share lunch with her. There have been times when we also drive home via the grocery store so that she can pick up some essential items for the week.

Some of the most enjoyable times with Margaret have been a lunch that we organised at the Toogoolawah Hotel after church one Sunday (we had 5 of her friends join us). We also invited her to our trivia night. She joined my parents team and they ended up winning - she was thrilled to go home with a basket of chocolates!

Margaret and I have started sharing favourite recipes. She loves my recipe for Lemon Coconut Bliss Balls which I have made for her on several occasions.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  1:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I chose to learn a bit more about landscape photographer Ken Duncan. Kenneth McLeod Duncan OAM is a photographer from Wamberal, New South Wales, Australia. He is regarded as one of Australia's most acclaimed landscape photographers, and gained prominence for his pioneering work with panoramic landscapes and limited-edition photographic prints.

Ken is truly passionate about his craft. Always striving for excellence, he travels extensively throughout the world in search of the stunning panoramic landscapes – or Panographs – for which he is best known. Recognised internationally as a gifted and prolific landscape photographer, Ken still chooses to describe himself as “… an average photographer, with a great God – merely an interpreter of God’s creation”. The art, he says, is in seeing, capturing and presenting these images to others. And this Ken does with his own unique style and his exceptional ability to capture the very spirit of a place at a given moment in time.

Although Ken prefers the panoramic format because “that’s the way we see”, he is well versed in a multitude of formats and media. He has even dabbled in cinematography and would like to do more with this medium in the future. He can turn his hand to any type of photography – from portraits to landscapes to 3-D and everything in between – and produce consistently creative results.

I have shared 10 of my best photos on the Farmgirl Chatroom. These photos are from trips that we have made through both Australia and the U.S.A. I have specifically chosen to emulate Ken’s landscape and panoramic shots. I also read “How To Take Stunning Landscape Photos: The Elements And Principles Of Design: The Importance Of Light” by Bo Kelley.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“The 10 most common allergenic foods are wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, eggs, milk, fish, soy, sesame seeds, and lupin.

I have a lot of family members and friends allergic to gluten. One aunt is allergic to pineapple and one brother is allergic to peanuts as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“Pressure canning is a must for processing low-acid vegetables and meats. Low-acid vegetables include all vegetables except acidified tomatoes, pickles and sauerkraut. Low-acid foods can support the growth of botulism spores that can survive the boiling point of water.
A water bath canner surrounds the jars of food with boiling water, transferring the heat into the jar of food. Fruits, acidified tomatoes, pickled products, and jams and jellies can be safely processed in a boiling water bath.

Atmospheric steam canning is the latest method approved for home food preservation. Steam in an atmospheric steam canner reaches the temperature of boiling water (212º F) and is safe for processing high-acid foods the same as boiling water.

I have a jar of salsa; the main ingredient is tomatoes, so it was probably done by water bath. Same with my jar of pickle relish and my grape jam – all water bath.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Women Merit Badge!

“I have a survival pack and I have identified 10 native plants and their uses. I was pleasantly surprised to find how many I already knew and I learned a few new things, too.

1. American Beautyberry is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and a great source of antioxidants.
2. Texas Lantana, aka Calico Bush, has beautiful flowers, but it has spiny branches and the leaves are poisonous.
3. Purslane is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and is an anti-inflammatory.
4. Mullein flowers, leaves, and stems improve respiratory issues and inflammations. The seeds are poisonous. The leaves are soft, but don’t use them as toilet paper; those fuzzy hairs can get stuck in your skin.
5. Bull thistle is a bane to us as cattle ranchers, but the stem can be peeled and eaten like celery.
6. American holly – the berries are toxic but the leaves make a slightly wintergreen flavored tea.
7. Yaupon holly is invasive on our property, but I just learned that the leaves are the only naturally occurring source of caffeine here in Texas!
8. Wisteria is also invasive and will kill its tree host. The flowers are edible but all other parts are toxic.
9. Muscadine grapes are sweet and flavorful, but the skin is thick and chewy. The vines can be an emergency source of water.
10. Black walnuts have a stronger flavor than their English cousins. The husk can be used to produce a dye.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“About a month ago I learned that what I thought was heart pain was actually my thymus and the root cause of its pain was fear. Ever since then, I have been making it a habit to breathe deeply whenever that pain kicks in and tell myself that I am safe.

I now breathe deeply on a daily basis. It has helped tremendously in lowering my stress level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“The types of emergencies that are most likely to affect my family are drought, floods, wildfires, and tornadoes.

We are empty-nesters, but we have discussed with our grown children how we would respond to each of these.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:28:47 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I’ve tried unfamiliar foods like sago paste, jicama, and vegemite. I liked the jicama, but not the other two. I am a picky eater; I think it’s because of my personality type. I tend to eat the same thing for each meal and only occasionally make a change.

I picked Greek cuisine since my name is Greek in origin; I’ve never actually had this type of cuisine. The Greek diet is full of seafood, grilled meats, cheese, fresh vegetables, olive oil, and savory pastries. It is considered one of the healthiest diets in the world.

I chose a recipe for a Greek roast and potatoes; assembled the ingredients I had on hand and shopped for the rest.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I got out our knife sharpener and gave each of our kitchen knives a tune up. One was already pretty sharp and the other two needed some help, but it didn't take long to get them all razor sharp.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:32:01 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“In my extended family, there are 3 who have Down’s Syndrome. We also have friends and neighbors who deal with a variety of challenges, such as brittle bone disease.

We are fortunate to be in a family that has always treated everyone with love and gentle kindness.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“Having been forced to rely on a wheelchair off and on for the last 6 years, dealing with Lyme disease and severe joint pain, I guess that places me in this category. Using the wheelchair has made it painfully clear that some places might meet the minimum requirements of accessibility, but that doesn’t mean wheelchair access is easy. I’ve been forced to go the long way around to find a ramp and door into public buildings at times and don’t even get me started on bathrooms!

My own home now has a wheelchair ramp but is too small to use the chair inside, and that’s just fine for me since I don’t need it 100% of the time. If someone was injured, we would need to do some work in the bathroom to accommodate that.

I’m the one living with challenging medical conditions. Others could make me feel more welcome by quietly, unobtrusively making sure I have a place to sit down.
My own challenges have made me very aware of other people’s needs and I try to meet those without making a big deal of it. I keep the handicap stall in public clear if I don’t need it. I don’t block aisles, and often I can point out a need and my husband will jump in and help someone lift or load groceries, etc.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“As a lifelong reader, I have had a library card for years and love all the things that a library has to offer. I have utilized their study rooms, researched genealogical records, checked out books and movies, and attended free community classes there. Here is my current TBR pile.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“We had the first meeting of the Heritage Farmgirls yesterday and it was great!

We all agreed that now, more than ever, it's important to bring these old skills back to life. It seems clear that hard times are coming and we want to stand ready to help our communities.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I worked on recycling for a week. We use our cardboard boxes in the food forest for mulch and as compost for food scraps (what the dogs won’t eat).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, which requires an acid and a liquid to be activated. Baking powder is made up of baking soda, cream of tartar, and cornstarch.

1. I made pizza with MJ’s Budget Mix. The crust was light and fluffy and so good!
2. I made pancakes with my sourdough starter. They were heavy and dense, just the way my husband likes them.
3. I made biscuits with the Budget Mix. They were somewhere in between the first two in density. I wish they had been a little lighter weight.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“Thanks to a love of reading, my grammar is already pretty good. I don’t use slang and abbreviations very much when texting or instant messaging because I want my children to see the right way to write and spell.

I did my word of the day from October 2-16, 2021. It sparked a few interesting comments on Facebook.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I have been recording information about my family genealogy since I was in college. I have quite an extensive tree now and am considered the family genealogist.

I maintain a family tree both online and on my personal computer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I can grow beets, carrots, turnips, garlic, onions, potatoes and many more root crops in my area of east Texas.

These root vegetables are available in my local grocery store: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic, and onions. These are all available as local crops.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I set up a canvas Baker’s tent in my yard and decorated it for our first chapter meeting of the Heritage Farmgirls.

We had a lovely meeting and the tent is still in my yard, beckoning me to come sit and enjoy nature for a little while.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (Ranchhand, #8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made a sewing kit for my camper. I even bought a fold up pair of scissors. Lots of thread rolled on wooded sticks pins and needles along with safety pins and thimble.

Made 3 for family and friends. I got eye rolls from the kids but my neighbor loved hers. She put it in her car.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (Ranchhand, #8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I’ve been sewing since I was about 10. I make little clothes for my granddaughters dolls with and without a machine. I used to hand sew clothes for my trolls and barbies.

We have young women in our community and two of us taught them how to make a quilt and use a machine.

The quilts were so darn cute. They even liked them so well that they are making more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (Ranchhand, #8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I’ve made a round bag with a string to wrap around a plate that has an insulated bottom. It also included a drawstring sack with items to make a BakeOver. And made a pie with roasted vegetables and cooked with olive oil and a little raw sugar. I turned out better than I thought.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Linda Pavey (Clear_creek2, #8296) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I put together a sewing kit with a pin-cushion I made. I included the items you identified and I also added a seam ripper, scissors, and marking pens. I purchased a plastic container with dividers to put everything in.

A friend and her daughter had come over to learn how to sew and I gave them the sewing kit as a departing gift. They were delighted to receive it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:53:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda Pavey (Clear_creek2, #8296) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“A friend and her daughter wanted to learn how to sew so I invited them over for the day. First I had them learn the various parts of the sewing machine then gave them lined paper to practice sewing straight lines. After that, just for fun, I drew wavy lines and circles for them to see what it took to stay on the line. The elementary school aged daughter was better at it than her mother!

Then I had them cut, pin and start sewing actual fabric and they first made flat seams. After some practice I had them sew a simple draw-string bag with French seams.

I had never taught sewing before and it was a lot of fun! The mother and her daughter felt very accomplished with their finished draw-string bags plus they were impressed having learned how to make French seams. :-)”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page