Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Linda Pavey (Clear_creek2, #8296) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I saw some FUN cat designed fabric at JoAnn's and I knew I had to make an apron out of it for a friend's birthday. I found a McCall's pattern that was a half apron with flounces and knew it was the perfect pattern for the fabrics but also it was a new sewing challenge for me.

I enjoy wearing an apron.

I probably went over the two hour time limit being there were three flounces but it came out so perfect and fun looking. My friend was delighted - I gave it to her for her birthday.
I DO wear an apron when I'm cooking!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Linda Pavey (Clear_creek2, #8296) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I decided to make aprons for my friends birthdays this year so this apron, from a McCall's pattern, was a full one. The pattern didn't have a ruffle on the bottom but I decided it needed that extra punch. So I measured off extra accent fabric, sewed two rows of thread with a long stitch to gather it with and sewed it on the bottom. Such a perfect finish but then I decided the bib also needed the accent ruffle so added one there too. The completed apron was darling.

I wore the apron to my friend's birthday lunch - receiving strange looks from the other customers! But my friend was delighted when I took it off and presented it to her as a gift from me to her.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  10:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Linda Pavey (Clear_creek2, #8296) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“I identified these beneficial bugs in my garden:
Honey bees, spiders, lady bugs, green and brown lacewings, wasps, and butterflies.

Harmful bugs:
aphids, root maggots, cut worm, slugs, leaf miners, and late blight.

Organic pest control I employed:
I used liquid dish soap in warm water with a little vegetable oil on the leaves. I also picked off many slugs!

After I read that marigolds were a bug deterrent I transplanted them from a flower pot into the garden.

Other beneficial plants to attract the good bugs are nasturtiums, asters, snap dragons, alysum, and the herbs sage and dill.

I was very gratifying to be working WITH my garden doing positive changes instead of adding chemicals to control the harmful bugs. This badge also got me acquainted with the good bugs in my area, who knew!

Our carrots and lettuce were delicious and we had a lovely crop of potatoes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate merit badge, I was required to share what I discovered on the Farmgirl Chatroom under Merit Badge Chit Chat.

I have posted what I learned during the renovating & decorating of our home. I included a photo of my photo wall in the post.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“With summer fast approaching, it's time to enjoy the season's fresh produce. For this Merit Badge, I created 2 new ChillOver recipes using strawberries and passionfruit.

My recipes are for a "Strawberry & Lemon Curd mousse" and "Passionfruit Flummery". I have posted the complete recipes on the Farmgirl Chatroom under Merit Badge Chit Chat. The Passionfruit Flummery was my favourite!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“I first made myself a turquoise blue bracelet. Then I made a dark pink and white matching earrings and bracelet set to give as a gift. Then I made a pink pearl and white matched bracelet and earrings set to sell. I sold it for a dollar and then I bought my friend's necklace for a dollar. We had fun working on jewelry together.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“For my two new Bakeover recipes, I used MaryJane’s Crust Recipe from her Ideabook on page 91, except that I substituted Gluten-free flour (a mix of 34% brown rice flour, 12% quinoa flour, 20% tapioca flour, 34% potato starch):

1 ½ cups four
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
½ cup water

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add water, form dough into a ball, and roll out a top crust.

For the first Bakeover, I used a fennel bulb, finely chopped; ½ cup finely chopped dates; ¼ cup crushed toasted almonds.

The second Bakeover was a combination of Roma tomatoes (enough slices to cover the base of the pan); fetta cheese, crumbed; fresh herbs (I used thyme and oregano), pepper.

I posted my recipes on the Farmgirl Connection chatroom under merit badge chit chat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Jessica Seymour (jesslovestexas, #1727) has received certificates of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I am overflowing with reusable bags! We are Aldi shoppers so it's just required to have my own bags every time I shop. They go back by the door, and go back into the car every day to be used for shopping, taking things to the post office, cleaning out the car, and delivering food or gifts to people. I have these giant totes from thirty one that have a big flat bottom and they hold everything!

As for intermediate level, I always buy as little packaging as possible. If something comes in a flat pack or recyclable pack I choose that. I order all my cleaning and household supplies from Grove and they're going plastic free in a couple years! I get small glass bottle concentrates for floors, glass, and more. (I actually refill my swiffer wetjet with their cleaner and have ordered washable pads for it!) The only plastic I think they have is Mrs. Meyers. I also get all my laundry supplies from Dropps, which is free of anything bad and comes in recyclable boxes. ALSO I buy in as much bulk as I am able because it is usually less packaging that way.

My house and clothes don't smell like chemicals, and any bags I do randomly end up with go to picking up dog poo in the back yard. We also go through so much less trash than we used to!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  11:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“My husband and I had Greek roast and potatoes for supper. I especially enjoyed the light flavor of the potatoes.

Over dinner, we discussed the strangest foods we've tried, and the places we've traveled. The strangest thing I’ve eaten is sago paste in Papua New Guinea. I don’t recommend it. LOL

My husband has eaten alligator, crawfish, etc. since he grew up right on the Texas/Louisiana state line.

Neither one of us are very adventurous in our eating choices. We are starting to try new things, though.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie Lynne Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“My dogs have a veterinarian that I like. I checked out the label and ingredients in their food. Their food is great for meeting their nutritional needs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie Lynne Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I familiarized myself with the gun-safety rules and regulations in my area. Then I took and passed the hunter-safety course.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie Lynne Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected 6 reusable bags for shopping and took them with me to the store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie Lynne Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I researched our recycling plant to find out what is recyclable and not recyclable. We have curbside recycling. I've attached pictures of what is accepted. It turned out wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie Lynne Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I determined what I can put into recycling instead of garbage. I set up a recycling system at my house.

I did this for a week, it turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie Lynne Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycled for a month. I also got my mom to recycle. I learned that you can make some money recycling cans and bottles.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I went out and took over 20 pictures of how I am living the farmgirl life. I posted a few of them in the Farmgirl Connection chatroom.

I researched the following terms related to photography:
F-stop, shutter speed, ISO control, depth of field, framing, rule of thirds, and leading lines.

This was fun to do and I learned a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I went on YouTube and learned how to do the double-stitch, picot, ring and chain stitch. I combined my knowledge of these techniques to make a length of tatting that is three feet long. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (#6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“A few years ago, I taught Mom how to quilt. She was an avid clothes maker and told me she never wanted to learn to quilt. After several tries and her retiring she finally wanted to learn. Needless to day I was a happy camper. I have also made a few doll quilts that I have given away so I have no pictures of them.

My mom continued to make quilts until she could not due to illness. I continue my quilting journey.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (#6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I've been quilting for years now and have learned to piece on the sewing machine, layering the top, batting, and backing. One of my favorite piecing methods is hand applique and hand quilting. I just learned how to satin stitch a couple weeks ago and really love look of the stitching.

I have a few quilts I've done over the last few years these two quilts are recent one I've done and have turned out beautiful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (#6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I have been cross-stitching for many years. I stopped for a few years but picked it back up about 5 years ago. Over the summer I taught my friend, Kelly, to cross stitch. We started out with a very simple small kit. She worked on it and enjoys the process of cross -titching. I really enjoyed teaching her this wonderful skill. It turned out very cute.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (#6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I have cross stitched on 14, 16, and 18 count aida cloth. I recently started to cross stitch using beads and stitching on perforated paper. It's one of my favorites. I'm going to go out of my comfort zone and stitch on higher count fabrics and different fabrics. All my cross stitch projects have turned out beautiful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  1:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“Jewelry making evening was a fun time. My friend received a lot of beads and tools from another Farmgirl Sisterhood member. I'm not that crafty but I made a wooden bead necklace.
Also a pony bead necklace and cowboy boot earrings. It was fun to exchange and sell our jewelry. This was a fun and eventful evening.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  1:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I researched the common photography terms listed. Here are some of the photos I took for Farmgirl Shutterbugs. I live in a agricultural area as well as a University known for agriculture. Walking through the university and you can always find animals, flowers, greenhouses and vineyards.

Some of my favorite walks are through the university area. You can enjoy the animals even if you no longer own any yourself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  1:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate badge, I recruited my mother. We motivated each other - she probably has more UFOs than I do, so it was nice to do this together. I went to her place because she has an overlocker which makes for quicker, neater seams on my OR caps. I work in the operating suite and am required to wear a scrub cap each shift. I used up some scrap fabric (in line with the ACORN specifications for fabric requirements) and made a total of 8 caps in 2 different styles. One with ties at the back and one with a gathered toggle. I also finished making 2 pairs of satin shorts which I will use for summer PJs.

It's very satisfying to finish some projects that have been sitting around taking up space. I am now working my way through a pile of quilted table runners.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Pottery/Ceramics Merit Badge!

“There are five main types of clay for pottery. These are earthenware, stoneware, porcelain, ball clay, and fire clay. Earthenware fires at lower temperatures and can have an earthy look. Stoneware fires at mid to high temperatures and is often buff or tan. Porcelain fires at high temperatures and is usually pale grey or white.
Clay is a product of the earth, and it is collected from the ground and then processed. Some potters will actually source clay themselves and use it raw, but most potters will buy clay that has been commercially processed.

A lot of earthenware clay is red or orange. This is because it often has a high content of iron oxide, which is essentially rust. However, earthenware clay can also be yellow, white, and tan, or buff. Some earthenware clay can look quite smooth and refined when it’s been fired. However, earthenware clay has a reputation for looking earthier, more course, and rustic than other types of clay or pottery. The reason for this is that once it has been fired, earthenware clay is more porous than other clay bodies. Clay is made up of clay particles or platelets. As clay is fired, these platelets move closer together. Also, glass produced by the clay body during firing fills up the spaces between the clay. The glass also bonds the clay particles together and gives the pottery strength. This process is called vitrification. Different types of clay vary in how dense they become and how much glass is produced. If a clay produces less glass during firing, then the gaps between the particles are more open. And the resulting piece of ceramic is still somewhat porous. Earthenware clay produces less glass during firing than other types of clay for pottery. For that reason, it’s less vitreous than other kinds of clay. In fact, the term ‘vitrified’ is used to refer to stoneware and porcelain clay that has been fired to maturity.

Like earthenware clay, stoneware is a secondary clay. This means that when it’s being formed in the environment, it picks up impurities. It is then mined, processed, and prepared to be used for the production of pottery and ceramics. Part of the production process involves refining and blending the ingredients of the clay. Broadly speaking, stoneware is a mixture of feldspar, quartz, and ball clay.

One of the more refined types of clay for pottery is porcelain clay. Porcelain clay is sometimes referred to as kaolin clay. However, kaolin is a very pure kind of white clay also known as china clay. Kaolin is actually used as a primary ingredient in making a wider range of porcelain types of clay.

Ball clay is a raw material that is normally sold in powdered form. It is not really used as a clay body in itself. Rather it is added to other types of clay to enhance their performance. The key feature of ball clay is that it is very plastic. Plasticity means that clay is very workable. It can be formed easily and will hold its shape once it has been molded. The reason that ball clay is so plastic, is to do with particle size. A key ingredient in ball clay is the mineral kaolinite.

The last type of clay for pottery is fire clay. Like ball clay, fire clay is usually sold in a powdered form. The main feature of fire clay is that it has a very high firing temperature. In fact, the melting point of fire clay is around 2912F (1600C). And it matures at around 2696F. One of the reasons that fire clay can withstand higher temperatures, is that it has a high alumina content. Alumina is a refractory oxide, (Aluminum oxide), and is normally present at a percentage of between 25- 35% in fire clay. Fire clay also has a high percentage of silica (around 60-70%). Silica, like alumina, has a refractory nature.

Glazing involves painting, dipping, or spraying raw glaze onto the bisque fired pottery. During the glaze fire, the glaze melts and then hardens forming a glassy layer over the pottery.

There are 2 main stores in Toowoomba for Pottery supplies:- Darling Downs Potters Club in Newtown and Murray’s Art & Framing on Ruthven Street.

I have signed up for a pottery class with my sister, my niece, and her friend this Saturday at Tinker City in Toowoomba. It is a “Ceramic Mug & Spoon” class which advertises that during this class you will learn:
• How to pinch clay into a form using ancient technics
• How to attach handles securely
• How to manipulate clay so that is survives the firing process
• Creating a consistent base and walls
• Smoothing and texturing techniques
• Choose from a selection of mid fire glazes to finish of your pieces.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page