Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 527

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 17 2023 :  2:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chapman (JenniferAnn, #8562) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I refreshed my sewing kit pieces into my old sewing box that my grandma gave me when I was in about third grade (red one), when I was in girl scouts. I also bought a sewing box at an estate sale (green one) for my daughter to take with her back to college. She likes to sew and make projects.

It turned out great! I love knowing where everything is, each having a place to go to so I can easily find them. Now I have a collection of sewing kits/boxes (I have another one, not pictured, that is wooden and steps/folds out with many tiers), and I'm glad my daughter has one too. All the buttons we have are in our main button jar now. :)”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“My office has been cold the previous years. I can't easily add insulation in the walls but I decided I could add insulation under the floor. The basement room my office is over is cold, so I added insulation between the floor joists.

I also added insulation to outside laundry room walls as they were being dry walled.

This last winter was the snowiest winter in St Cloud history. Adding the insulation under the floor made the office more comfortable this winter.

I think I'll see a huge difference with drywall and insulation on my laundry room walls next winter.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:05:21 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I got some goat milk soap base from a client who was cleaning out her stash. I just melted it in the microwave & poured.

I have been trying for a while to come up with a foaming hand soap instead of buying soap from Bath & Body Works.

I didn't really like the castile soap product. Even the unscented had a scent that didn't play well with the scent I wanted to add.

I ordered foaming soap refills from Blueland to try, which is great. It cuts the grease but doesn't leave my hands feeling so dry.

I like the goat milk soap. I have noticed that is does get really slimy and snooty if it stays too wet. But I like that this soap also doesn't seem to strip my hands.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I decided to start my own travel agency as Covid was ending. I couldn't incorporate the idea of planning National Park travel and higher end boat and train travel into a single travel agency. So I didn't.

I registered my names with the Secretary of State. I enrolled in a couple different education opportunities that taught me a lot about the travel agent game.

I ordered business cards that allowed my to have both travel ideas on one card.

The educational programs geared towards new travel agents was a flop. They really weren't about developing quality agents as much as collecting their fees. I wouldn't recommend.

The business cards turned out beautifully.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I started my first travel company with the launch of the website 01/01/2022. It's harder than I ever imagined to maintain a website with new content! Visit nationalparktravelplanner.com to check out the results.

I also tried to collaborate with a quilt shop to promote a river cruise that stopped at the major US quilt show. The collaboration was good but no bookings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I previously chose the Queen but I didn't get that submitted before her death so I had to start over again!

I chose the Princess Royal, Princess Anne. I have always admired Anne. After she was named Gold Stick in Waiting, I wanted to read more about her. I then learned aren't any current biographies on her. She is a very private person despite continually earning the title "hardest working royal."

She was born at home in Clarence House and did go to boarding school (Benenden).

The Princess Anne is something unique and different. Only the daughter of THE monarch can be given the title Princess Royal. Charles having no daughters couldn't bestow that title. In addition, since Anne is alive it can't be bestowed.

What sets Princess Anne apart is that she was been a success in her own right as an Olympic equestrian. She is also known as a skilled diplomat and tireless humanitarian.

Her roles in the mourning of Queen Elizabeth II and the coronation of Charles III, show how respected she is amongst her family and the nation she serves.

However, as an attempted kidnapper learned, you don't want to tangle with her. She is known to not suffer fools lightly.

I would love to intern under her!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:11:43 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I am a reviewer for Netgalley. I can select advanced reader copies of works before they are released to the general public.

I have never found poetry on there that I was willing to read and provide feedback on. Providing feedback on works is the whole reason behind the ARC.

So as I have been recovering from surgery, I learned about the canal laureate. A poet the canal association in the UK grants this title and they produce poetry about the canals!

I think fiction is hard to say - I have read a lot and I have signed up for every Tracie Pederson and Christian romance collection that has been offered.

I have been very lucky to have read two nonfiction books that changed my view of the world by Belinda Recio -When Animals Rescue and Inside Animal Hearts and Minds. I got to review a Mediterranean Diet cookbook that was so good, I went & bought it! The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Beginners by Elena Paravantes RDN.

I read the poetry of two canal laureates—Jo Bell and Roy McFarlane. I also read Ted Hughes who wrote about a bar on a canal in Stubbing Wharf. I still hate poetry!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I chose the UK since someone asked me a question during the coronation which I didn't know the answer to.

Its current incarnation is listed as a couple different things: unitary state under a constitutional monarch, parliamentary democracy, the "Westminister system" and democratic parliamentary monarchy.

It's got three branches just like the US system - judicial, executive, and legislative.

The Magna Charter was its founding doctrine. Parliament - House of Lords and House of Commons are basically the ruling body since the monarch is constitutional.

It is a partially regulated market economy just like the US.

And the UK was not the country to choose for this badge! The UK is compromised of Britain, Wales, Scotland and Ireland (caveat about each duration). The history of each of those varied and make the story of the civics of the UK hard to describe!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I continued with the UK, which isn't cut and dried. The major parts of the UK government are monarch Charles III, prime minister and parliament, and the judicial branch. But each of the four "countries" that make up the UK have their own government structures.

The prime minister is an elected position. If the prime minister receives a vote of no confidence, a general election is held to replace them. The House of Commons is an elected body. The House of Lords is a unique system of religious, hereditary peers and appointed peers.

Parliament does create laws with their "acts" and the judicial branch upholds the laws. However, because of the long history and unique structure there are some acts of Parliament that are considered to have a more constitutional roles.

The US is only about 250 years old. The Kingdom of England goes back over 1000 years—it gets a bit muddy!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I debated this level but thought to myself "in for a penny, in for a pound" and realized with a thought like that I needed to keep going.

When was this government established—boy that is wide open for debate! Some might say October 2022 since each prime minister's terms is often referenced as "PM Thatcher's government". It could be 1997 when the hereditary peerages in the House of Lords reformed. Could go back to the reign of Queen Victoria when the powers of the monarchy were curtailed.

Individual rights and civic issues are about the same as the US.

A defining moment in the history of the UK is when the Magna Carta was signed which was a charter of freedoms. But it was limited in breadth and scope as Americans well know since we adopted our own Bill of Rights because we didn't like the British system.

More important dates are when Scotland (1707) and Ireland (1800) are added to the "United Kingdom." Interesting that Ireland with the exception of Northern Ireland got to leave 1916-1922 while Scotland, when given an election to do so in 2014, didn't.

The were many versions of each part of the governmental branches throughout UK and its individual state's histories.

Some of the most notable changes to the structure of the government: Absolute to constitutional monarch, development of the House of Commons, and the decline of hereditary peerages, as well as decline of its colonial interests after WWII.

That was hard! I always thought it was like the US but with that amount of history it really isn't. It changes but very slowly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (KESinMN, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Furniture MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I watched Junk Gypsies on YouTube and perused Pinterest for upcycling.

I needed something in a small entryway. I decided to put up pictures of my grandmothers and a couple great grandmothers.

I came across two matching frames at Savers—kind of like Goodwill. I decided to paint those silver to match on existing one and the wall paper.

I had found pictures of my great grandmother under a larger picture in an old frame. I decided not to paint the frame at this time.

To bring some cohesiveness to the group, I decided to mat the photos. Since one of my great grandmothers is kind of framed in the photo, I used the oval shape to frame the other 3. Each one has a different shade of grey to match with the photos.

I liked how the mats turned out. The frames hang "wonky" which I can't seem to fix and is driving me nuts. I can't decide whether to paint the final frame or keep it in the original condition. Overall, I like them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“January is the time of year to prune trees, cut brush, and clean the nearby wood line of debris. A peach tree needed a major overhaul! I cut the smaller 2” branches into approximately 30” lengths with my electric chainsaw. I then hammered a small nail to each piece to hang the labeled tin can cat food lid. I spray painted the top 3” of the stakes used for heirloom plants. Now, I know where each plant or seed is planted.

Every gardener should know how to sharpen the tools used. Dull tools make the work difficult, and at my age I tend to work smarter, not harder. I’ve had to replace handles, and they are not cheap. I now regularly oil wooden handles, particularly when putting up for extended periods. In the South, winters are mostly mild. Gardening tools are not put away for long. All gardening equipment is stored in a shed after each use. Yes, it needs to be better organized, and I’ll get to it when time permits.

It’s satisfying to look at the garden to see the stakes made out of materials that would have been left to decompose naturally or recycled at the convenience center. I’ve put aside smaller wood pieces for other projects. There are so many uses for small cat food cans and the ring-pull lids. With use of a little imagination and ingenuity, I’ve reused, recycled, and revived while creating a space I love.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  09:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Kaitlin Finn (Kaitlin, #8559) has received certificates of achievement in Garden Gate for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have previously had 45 chickens but when we moved, we left our flock and their home made from scraps coop with the new owners of that house. We have now started a new flock (and coop!) of seven pullets. Not only do they get regular feed but they also receive our kitchen scraps and eggshells not used in our garden. Today one of my kids dropped a carton of (colorful farm fresh) eggs and half of them broke so we crushed them all the way up and cooked them and fed them to the chickens as a treat.

My kids also enjoy making butter and my sister and I like to make cheese. While I’m not teaching the event, our local sisterhood will also be enjoying making cheese together.

I love everything about having chickens—I love that they give us eggs, fertilizer and I don’t have to feel guilty about food waste that can’t be composted.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  09:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Kaitlin Finn (Kaitlin, #8559) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Public Service Merit Badge!

“Currently our town is trying to eliminate 8k from the budget along with several teachers and needed staff. It would also essentially close our high school library. Having five children in the school system currently, I have attended board of Ed and town council meetings and have been very vocal about supporting our schools.

The town is also trying to cut funds to our police and ambulance services which hold a very special place in our hearts after receiving care with them.

Our next budget referendum is in a little over a week when o will e out of town, so I have already filled out my absentee ballot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  09:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Kaitlin Finn (Kaitlin, #8559) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Our local farmgirl chapter got together today to earn our cheese making badge (beginner. intermediate. and expert level)
We learned about the differences of unpasteurized pasteurized and ultra pasteurized and how that works with different cheeses.

We started with making sour cream by warming half and half to 86 degrees on a double boiler and sprinkling culture on top and setting it aside to coagulate (while snacking on previously homemade mozzarella and sour cream dip made earlier this week) with home grown basil and tomatoes.

To make mozzarella we used a large pot with a whole gallon of milk and citric acid and rennet, and then we reserved the whey to make ricotta. We also made whole milk ricotta.

We learned that there are two kinds of rennet and that you never add rennet undiluted
We then made panir, an Indian cheese, with lemon juice. We boiled a gallon of milk and added lemon juice (you can also add citric acid instead) and let it sit until curds have separated and settled. Then you press or hang the solids. You can use it as meat substitute and grill it like tofu because it does not melt like a typical cheese and it absorbs flavors well.

It turned out so well that I’m now very full of cheese.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  09:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Kaitlin Finn (Kaitlin, #8559) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“My daughter, our fifth child, at three years old was injured three years ago and it has been an interesting and learning experience as we continue to heal and adapt to her new normal. She is six now, joyful and energetic, and struggles (but is learning) with attention, impulse control, and is non verbal.

Since her brain injury, we have also had children in our home go through withdrawal, those with FASD, and those who have physical disabilities.

Some things we’ve learned in our community:
We have learned and struggled with the school system, and have experienced incredible love and intense frustration to get needs met. Our church was not very accessible and was not able to accommodate our needs, so we ended up going to a different one in a neighboring town that allowed for more running and wiggle space.

In our home we had to adjust for 24/7 supervision and safe sleep, childproofing for even taller kiddos.

A big change in our mindset came when we further understood how dangerous even the common cold could be for friends, and we take appropriate precautions when they visit or when visiting them.

This week we moved my daughters play kitchen from “her” room to our kitchen. Since she has started to express more independent play and a slightly longer attention span, we are able to allow her to play in the same room as other activity instead of taking her to her room for constant confined supervised play. Each day is an opportunity for growth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  10:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I have made some cheeses before but never used cultures. I enjoyed making sour cream and buttermilk. I used both in recipes when I hosted Mother’s Day and a cheese making class with my chapter.

We started with cultured sour cream then make panir, mozzarella, whole milk ricotta and whey ricotta. I showed them different tools and we talked about different types of cultures, cheeses and ways of making them. I also make mozzarella kits if each person to take home with copies of all the recipes I used during my event. I offered cheese plates, sour cream dip and even was able to show raw local milk with then made butter with we ate. It went great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  10:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (Jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“Butter was something I had made before but never dove deep into. This badge turned that all around. I spend more time reading about butter than I should admit to. I was able to go to a local dairy and get fresh milk and cream and learned about handling butter from them as they make it at their store. I made butter and pushed fresh scapes to make a compound butter. We then had fresh pasta with a cream sauce for dinner using all home made or home grown products.

I even made cookies from scratch with home made butter. It made the sugar cookies have a deeper flavor than I normally get. I’m doing all the work I complete all three levels and will keep making butter for sure! I’m just glad I don’t have to do it by hand ever again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Kaitlin Finn (Kaitlin, #8559) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Bread Making Merit Badge!

“Banana bread, pumpkin bread, white sandwich bread, cinnamon bread- I love carbs!
My kids and I made a sourdough starter last week and named him Larry. He sits on our counter. He was uncovered for a while and now we use a napkin to just keep any little friends out but allows him to breathe. We feed Larry regularly and use him to make sourdough (obviously) but also pancakes, biscuits and muffins!

We made banana bread and pumpkin bread and buttermilk biscuits. I use wild yeast for Larry, but I sometimes use instant for a fast pizza dough like I did Friday (don’t tell my grandma).
Larry is in the fridge now but spends a lot of time on the counter because we use him so often.

My kids don’t like dried fruit in their bread—although real home made fruitcake is a favorite of great Grandpa and they obligingly will have a taste in his honor. I like Bara Brith bread with fancy Irish butter (if we have the money for it). I could eat sourdough at every meal!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  07:53:19 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I earned this merit badge by reading Gardening with Heirloom Seeds and I replaced this year's garden plants with a lot of heirloom varieties. This book was very interesting and informative and I loved it so much that I took lots of notes for future reference.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  07:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I saved seeds from heirloom plants as well as other plants and got the seeds and filled the garden with heirloom tomatoes. It turned out fun as I discovered that I like saving seeds and it's always fun to see if the plants will sprout up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  08:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“Winter ended early this year, and the warm days of spring led me into the garden. My garden was tilled and prepared for planting. In each hole, I placed some Black Kow organic composted manure in each hole. I then placed 2” tall tin cat food cans with the bottoms cut out (another badge) to prevent slugs from damaging the tomato plants. I also planted kale and lettuce plants and green beans, corn, crookneck squash, and zucchini seeds. I later added Irish and sweet potato, cucumbers, and cantaloupe. I also added marigolds plants throughout the rows as a natural pesticide. I recently purchased neem to use as a last resort. I fertilize with a homemade cow manure tea.

I use soaking hoses to keep down fungus and also to cut down on water usage. I was gifted Montrose: Life in a Garden by Nancy Goodwin a few years ago by a friend from Hillbourough, NC. She and I had planned to visit during Spring Garden Open Day, but Covid happened. Although she is no longer with us, Montrose remains on my bucket list. I loved reading about the history of Montrose, how Mrs. Goodwin made her dream come true by buying the property, and the work she has put into making this her dream home. The illustrations and photos are beautiful and makes an impressive coffee table book.

I have areas of my property where certain trees, plants and flowers are planted. Some areas receive dappled sunlight while other areas receive the hot Southern summer sun. Since my “downsized” move in late 2021, same property just different location on the farm, I’ve planted Hydrangeas, azaleas and dogwood trees to beautify my small home. Gladiolas line one section beside the house that gets full sun. An herb garden is situated where it gets both sun and shade. I’m working on the ditch bank where dappled sun filters through daily. The Pine trees and small oak trees make this a soothing area to sit and observe nature. I have plans on paper to add a bridge over the ditch along with more flowers. I’ve added knock out roses to the animal cemetery this year. Like Nancy Goodwin, I will continue to beautify this land and make it pleasing for me. It is an endless work in progress and a labor of love.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  08:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I’ve been interested heirloom plants, especially tomatoes, for years. About four years ago, the man in my life brought home several types of tomatoes I had never heard of before. His grandfather had grown tomatoes with the names German Johnson, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, and San Marzano. The tomatoes were delicious! Unfortunately, no seeds were saved because I didn’t realize they were heirloom varieties. After discussion with LB, I began researching heirloom vegetable seeds. We both agreed we needed to prepare for our food supply in case of a severe national depression. I was fortunate to find the tomato and heirloom cucumber plants from a mid-state South Carolina farmer. I ordered Gardening with Heirloom Seeds by Lynn Coulter and found this book to contain a plethora of information that is most helpful. It contains the history of heirlooms and lists so many seeds I never knew existed. It details how to save the seed. There is room for additional notes on the side.

I’ve ordered the following heirloom seeds Boston Pickling Cucumber, Giant Noble Spinach, Tendersweet Carrot, Country Gentleman Peg Corn, Detroit Red Beets, and Cinderella Pumpkin to plant in late July and early August. I ordered and received the four listed tomato seeds and plan to get those started in January. The search goes on for more heirloom seeds. I'm officially hooked and pulled down the rabbit hole! Thank you, MaryJane, for introducing me and my man to the world of heirloom seeds and open pollination. I have no doubt the saved seeds will live on indefinitely!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  08:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“January is the time of year to prune trees, cut brush, and clean the nearby wood line of debris and overgrowth. A peach tree needed a major overhaul! I accomplished all the pruning and cutting with my trusty electric chainsaw. I have been using this chainsaw since 2018. It is lightweight and easy to use. I keep it well maintained and have the chain sharpened before any major project. I'm careful to use eye and ear protection along with my chaps and have never cut myself. I always wear work boots, leather work gloves, and my old white hardhat.

Living in an area where snakes and ticks are plentiful, I am always cautious when working outside. This is one reason to clean overgrowth and remove debris in January when the weather is cold. Safety is always on my mind! My electric chainsaw has served its purpose well. With proper upkeep and maintenance, it should keep buzzin’ along when needed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - May 26 2023 :  08:04:21 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“While cleaning out a box of papers in storage, I found sixteen old very colorful flower packets with a few dried seeds left. I knew immediately what I wanted to do with the beautiful packets. I wanted to make a collage and frame it for my she shed. I bought yellow poster board, cut it to fit the old Goodwill frame, then proceeded to gather scrapbooking tape and butterfly and gardening stickers I wanted to use. I cut the flower packets and arranged them on the poster board before taping them down permanently. I statically placed butterfly and small bee stickers around on the poster board, along with a watering can sticker and hoe, rake, and grass stickers. Perfect! I spray painted the wooden frame a bright green. I’ve added a line of lady bug stickers on the glass. I signed and dated my work of art. It’s now ready to hang.

I love the way this project has turned out! I only used half of the packets, so I’ll make another collage to gift to my young granddaughter who loves flowers as much as I do. Once again, while reviewing the merit badges during the last year, making lists of the ones I’d like to complete, I discovered the collage project. I knew I wanted to make a collage but didn’t know what medium to use. Then I found the flower packets. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. What a delight to find those old flower packets! They certainly made a pretty collage.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 527 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page