Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I set out to make a list of the items I need in my kitchen, I couldn't think of a single item. I have everything from a hand crank mixer to my well loved and used kitchen aid mixer. I have bowls of every size (enamel, glass and crockery), food processor, dehydrator, utensils, slicers, grinders, and on and on.

My kitchen is well equiped, I can do anything from soap to cheese to canning or to make a good meal. I spend a lot of my time in my kitchen and I love it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Sally Roeser (#1668) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I just got my first flock of 28 chicks today and have them running around in the brooder. My husband and I will finish building the coop this weekend. I bought all organic chick starter, hen laying feed, and meat bird feed. Once they are big enough they will be mostly free-range. The coop will be moved down by our basement slider door, under our deck in the winter to shield it from strong weather. The coop is also insulated.

So far, so good.. this is the first time we've had chickens of our own, but have heard many good stories from friends we have that have started raising chickens in the last few years."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (Farmhousegirl, #1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I have everything I need in my kitchen and I try very hard to not have things that I won't use....I think having too much makes it harder because you have too much to look through and I LOVE double duty tools/appliances! I have an electric griddle that doubles as a waffle iron and tripples as a grill but I only have to store one item.

Having only what I need in my kitchen makes cooking easier and stress free. I love my kitchen."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:36:46 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Our family is blessed to have a little summer cottage located on a sandbar with no electricity or other services. When we go there we disconnect often... We don't have tv or computer access, but can use our cell phones if needed...My husband and I have aging parents and have had to leave our cell phones on more often over the course of the last few years, but recently I was able to be at the cottage with our two children and totally disconnect for 2 days...!

We played Monopoly, Slap Jack, and Go Fish, and ate home made pop corn popped on the gas stove! We laughed and giggled late into the night...

It was pure joy!

The photo is of our two kids out for a nice paddle boat ride with our Corgi, Max...

Look Ma... NO PHONE !!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I seem to be too messy of a cook to wear a half apron so I made a full apron. I traced around an old chef style apron that I had to get a pattern. I then made a reversible apron out of a cherry print on one side and a solid color for the other.

I love it but if I make any other aprons of this style I will make the length a little shorter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My kids are mostly grown, although the youngest is 17 and still lives at home. He and I still play games although the selection of games that only 2 people can play is more limited. When the kids were younger we played games a lot. I've never been much of a tv watcher and the kids weren't when they were younger so we spent many evenings playing games and reading. These days when the family gets together we still play games with our favorites being "Apples to Apples" and "Ticket to Ride."
Our favorite way to "read" these days is to listen to books on cd's. It's fun to listen to the different voices for the different characters.

Playing games is a great way to connect and we all still love to do that when we get together. We usually get laughing pretty hard when we play "Apples to Apples."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"We have five tv's in our house: one in the basement family room, one in the bedroom that my husband watches, and one in each of the three kids' bedrooms. The kids are ages 17, 20, and 24. My husband watches tv nearly every night from after dinner until he falls asleep. My 24 year old did not watch much tv this week as most of her favorite shows are reruns. What she watched were movies on dvd. My 20 year old is rarely home and didn't watch tv this week. My 17 year old watches baseball and "Who's Line Is It Anyway." The baseball is variable depending on the team schedule and the comedy show is Monday thru Friday for 1/2 an hour. The basement tv seldom gets used and was not on this past week. I, myself, do not watch tv unless I go in to talk with one of my kids and join them in what they are watching. With the exception of my husband there hasn't been much tv viewing this past week but the kids and I talked about it and we decided that we will go for a walk after dinner every night to spend time together. My husband is happy with his viewing habits and I don't feel it is my job to tell him otherwise. Of course, I will invite him to go for a walk with us but I can't make him join in.

TV watching has never been a big issue for me or my kids. I homeschooled my kids and we spent lots of time interacting. That has carried over into every area of our lives. We love spending time together and look for ways to make that happen, although keeping track of our tv viewing this week and talking about other ways we might spend time together has sparked some new interests. We're going to pretend we're tourists and visit some of the places around town that we've never been to but are popular touristy places. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to convince hubby to join us on some of them, especially touring the candy factory. :-)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I planted morning glory seeds and instead of buying a trellis I made one out of some scraps and string.
This past weekend the beans I planted were finally growing big enough to need staking so I made a bean teepee out of some bamboo poles left over from a craft project we did a couple of years ago.

The supports I made turned out well. I just wish I could figure out what's eating the bean plants so they can continue to get bigger."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  11:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I removed all non eco friendly cleaning products from home. Those I removed were donated to my neighbor who cleans for a living. She is interested in trying some of the home made cleaning products once she finishes those.
I spoke with family about changes made and why. All are on board!
Covered a binder with pretty fabric and have been organizing articles, things from magazines, recipes, chicken coop plans, etc. I call it my sustainable book.
Picked up a cleaning bucket, empty spray bottles, white vinegar, baking soda and rubber gloves from the dollar tree. I then knit a fun funky cuff on the gloves. I tucked a small book which I have gotten many recipes from for cleaning products (with lots of handwritten notes in the margins) and gave it to a girlfriend of mine who recently was married. It has taken 2 years but I have been slowly swaying her in my eco quest!

Great! Everything has been very well with the changes, I don't even mind cleaning when I use truly clean products!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  11:12:17 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"Our family has allergies and sensitivities. This has started me making our own soaps, cleaners, laundry detergents. (I even sell my soaps on etsy) I made a new batch of laundry detergent this weekend and played with adding a fresh essential oil for summer!

Daughter helped make a new batch of soap this weekend with me. We played with ylang ylang and lavender!

At the dollar tree we purchased spray bottles and filled them with basic cleaners (vinegar, baking soda, essential oil blends) and labeled them for cleaning around the house. The homemade cleaners work just as well as others and smell better too.

I have two friends who have been switching over to homemade cleaners. We share ideas and recipe's with each other.

Wonderfully! I actually do not mind cleaning when using the natural homemade products. We all sneeze and itch less than with commercial brands and the money it saves, as well as the cupboard space the old cleaners took up. Very positive change I think!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I grew sprouts for the first time. I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." As for fruits and veggies last year I made a bunch of fruit rollups. They were a huge hit and even gave some away for Christmas. I take them everywhere. I also keep cut up carrots and celery in the fridge. Honey is my favorite sweetener and I avoid the artificial stuff.

I loved the book and laughed through a lot of it. It made me very aware of how much I depend on the grocery store even with all the canning I do. I still slip with a soda once in a while (less than one every few months) if I'm out and about. I realized the last time I did this that the store had green tea with cane sugar so that was a good reminder that places are starting to serve better options."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  11:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"My kitchen was pretty well stocked and moves have kept me pared down where I haven't collected too much. The one thing I was missing was a bottle opener to open canned food stuff. I also ordered a replacement screen for the egg cutter (I use it for strawberries!)

Much easier to open the canned foods now and this made me stop procrastinating in ordering the cutter."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"I completed the row markers. Last year I developed a routine to clean tools before I put them away. I learned this lesson the hard way.

The row markers were perfect for the mid season planting I did. I had tried row markers in the past but they never lasted. I love the punch method."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I never realized how many squeaky doors I had in my house, you get used to them I guess and just don't notice the annoying sounds they make. Well, no more, my house is squeak free.

No more squeaks for me, I will notice if one starts agains and I'll repair asap."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"After I silenced all the squeaking doors, I realized that I had a cabinet door that would not shut all the way. So I took off the door. The problem was the hinges, so I replaced them and the door fits properly now.

I looks great, I never tried to repair before because I thought the door was warped. I'm very happy to see that it's not."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  1:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Sally Roeser (dragonfly, #1668) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I turned the soil this spring, designed and planted the whole garden myself. I planted onions, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cabbage, squash, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, beans, lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, and lots of flowers. I have used chicken poop and fish emulsion for fertilizer. For pest control, I have killed a chipmunk with my .22. I found an organic, naturally occurring bacteria to spray on my plants. I also found an organic fungicide to spray on my squash that was getting white mold on it. I planted hedges of marigolds around some things to keep rabbits out. I plan on also using soap and hair to keep critters out. I bought and read most of "Montrose:life in a garden."

My cabbage never came up, so i'm in the process of replanting that plot with something else. I also have to replant my bean, carrot, and cucumber plots because they were ruined by critters. I bought more green leafy vegetable plants to plant this late in the season, as they will probably be the only thing I can still plant from seed. I was very sad that some of my entire plots did not make it very far but the people at the garden store helped me figure out some solutions, along with several organic gardening books I got from the library. I am going to start a garden journal to make each year a little more well planned. The book was a little dry to read with all the technical terms for plants, but a beautiful book and quite inspiring at times. I also built a garden loom on my front gate after being inspired by the article in a MaryJanesFarm magazine. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Rali Burleson (Rali, #1679) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I earned my "Nellie Will-do" Beginner Level Merit Badge for clothing construction. Here, the Plaza Jacket from Linda Lee's pattern line The Sewing Workshop Collection gets an elegant update with vintage kimono silk, pieced insertions. I tamed these slinky fabrics with "turned and stitched" as well as Hong Kong seam finishes.

My Plaza Jacket turned out amazing! I've already received numerous compliments. The time I spent choosing the right seam finishes for my silk fabrics took some experimentation; however, making seam samples saved me time in the long run."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Line Shack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I bought a Simplicity Pattern #2492 to make my half apron.
I picked the fabric that I liked and cut it out and sewed it together, this is a very easy pattern, I added rik rack and base tape.
I love this pattern because the front pocket is so deep it will be great for putting close pins in.

This apron was so easy to make, so much so it made dressing it up so much more fun.
I would say this is a very beginner project.
I am pleased with the way it turned out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage For Food badge.

"The Jackson extension office didn't have information on local edible plants. So I purchased a book entitled "Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Great Lakes Region." This book has drawings and descriptions of all the edible and medicinal plants as well as over 50 pages of cross indexes. The habitats and harvesting seasons are indicated. There are over 20 plants that I intend to learn to identify. I've been amazed at how many "weeds" have so many uses, particularly medicinal. I'm excited about learning more.

Living on a farm during my teenage years in Oklahoma, I often heard my Dad refer to the extension office. My Dad treated extension office publications like a farm Bible. Having such a high opinion of the extension office's knowledge left me rather disappointed in their inability to help me. However, since I'm having to do the research myself I'm learning more and it is rather exciting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I already had all the items on this list at the time of joining Farmgirl Sisterhood. I had a small pin cushion made from a tiny clay pot and material stuffed for the top.

I hopped on my bicycle and rode to a small town nearby to visit the town's garage sales. I had to ride on a country highway so I was a little worried I'd made a bad decision. However, with $5.00 in my pocket I found 2 limited collection peanut cans for $.25. I came straight home and made one into a new homemade pin cushion. I used fabric I bought at a thrift store for under $1.00."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have been drying herbs from my garden for the past couple of years now. Some that I have been most successful with are sage and thyme. I also grow parsley, oregano, basil, lemon thyme, and several different mints. I dry my herbs by hanging them in my kitchen over the sink where I can keep an eye on them and will not forget about them. I love to have sage hanging there because the smell is strong and pleasant. I have used my herbs in spaghetti sauce, turkey stuffing, and on pizza.
For the spice blends, I used what I had of my own spices and then purchased others from my food co-op. I am still in the process of testing them out on my family, and I will choose my favorites to give as a gift to a couple who will marry in the fall. His family are avid hunters so I'm thinking that the venison blends will be the best for him."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I started this badge by updating the survival pack that I have always carried with me when hiking. I freshened the first aid supplies and matches, and checked that all the supplies were in good condition. I added a rain poncho. I keep this pack in my hiking backpack so that I always know where to find it and it is handy when I go hiking.
I finished the badge by making a list of wild edibles I found on my two properties:
1.wild blackberries
2.grape leaves (yummy cut up on pizza or stuffed, rolled and baked!)
3.calendula (edible/medicinal blossoms—good for soaking sore muscles in)
4.Grasses—Tom Brown claims these are edible if shoots are under 6” long
5.clover—the three leaf variety with small yellow flowers
6.blossoms of the pansy/violet/viola family
7.purslane
8.dandelion greens
9.watercress (plentiful in our Adirondack Mountains!)
10.wild strawberries (tiny but sweet)
Also edible, and plentiful, are the blossoms of the rose, NY's state flower. These are wonderful for coloring jellies, and the dried buds are a great addition to teas."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  3:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I have been making MaryJane's pemmican recipe for our traveling snack and energy bar substitute for more than two years now. My kids love it for soccer game half times and mid-afternoon snacks. It is so filling and nutritious that it has become a meal replacement for me. We also make our own trail mix for hiking trips. I buy the different nuts and dried fruits at the food co-op that I am a member of. I also add yogurt covered raisins and chocolate chip pieces just for fun.
I have also been enjoying cooking with my dutch ovens in the fire pit that my son Chris helped me build. I have cooked an entire day's meals outside....here's how: I start a fire first thing in the morning and scoop coals off to the side when I have some. I place my largest dutch oven over the coals with breakfast inside (usually a quinoi dish mixed with dried fruit and juice). I cover the oven with more coals and leave it to cook for about an hour, all the while maintaining a fire to the side. I remove breakfast when it is done and then toss in the lunch dish and re-cover the oven with fresh coals. If I want to make another dish, I just place it in another oven, set it on top of the large oven, and add more coals to the top of the new oven. I have baked potatoes, biscuits, loaves of bread, salmon (yum!), chicken pieces, and dessert bakeovers this way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  3:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level 'Out There' Women badge.

"In April of 2009 my vintage camper dream came true! I bought a 1970 Tag-A-Long from a young man just 15 minutes from me. The camper had been sitting in his yard for some time, but just as I was getting up the nerve to stop in ask if he might sell it, a For Sale sign appeared! My husband saw the sign first and stopped right in to inquire. We went down the next day and I paid him for it. It was agony to wait the two days before we could get a friend with a hitch to pick it up and deliver it to me! I have spent many hours tearing it apart and fixing it up, but it is now good enough to enjoy, though still in need of some repairs. I sleep in it from the first decent night in April to the bitter end in the fall. It's my refuge, my quiet place, my napping shelter....my dream come true!
After buying my camper, I found a cute little fishing pole that fits perfectly in the closet. I have yet to catch anything edible with my new (tag sale) fishing pole, but I have had the opportunity to cook up the “catch of the day” (just not caught by me). We enjoyed this fish (a combination of scrod and pollock) baked inside foil out on the grill. I seasoned it with olive oil, salt, and some garlic powder from a local organic farm. It was delicious!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  3:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I posted on the southwest farmgirl henhouse a comparison of alternative energies.

I called my electric company and asked about power generations. They are installing a 6 MW hydroelectric power plant which will provide electricity in the future. Right now they buy from Tri-state which generates using coal and supplies to 4-5 states.

I knew most of the power came from coal but DMEA does work with individuals that want to install solar, wind or geothermal and tie back into the grid. They have a banking program that lets you earn credit for extra power you generate and don't use. Alternative energies are starting to take off in this area and I'm glad to see my Co-op participating."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page