Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay Troyer (Lindsay Troyer, #1548) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"Once I earned the beginner and intermediate level badge for "Heirlooms Forever", I couldn't wait to start embroidering it! I printed it out on transfer paper, ironed it onto this nice linen fabric and pulled out my embroidery floss. I did practice a bit beforehand and ended up with a pretty cute picture in ode to the gardens my father and I have been working on.

I am really happy with how it came out! My "sampler" or really, my practice page, came out great and frame-worthy and my heirlooms forever merit badge looks fantastic!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  3:56:40 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay Troyer (Lindsay Troyer, #1548) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I have been helping friends and family this season start gardens in their backyards while continuing to work at the organic garden I started at my old community college. All of the hours I have put in are completely volunteer as the reward is getting people together and eating what we have grown!

It has been such a blessing to be able to share this experience with other people. I am just as excited every time I get to talk about heirloom varieties or even go pull weeds. All the moments I spend out in these gardens are peaceful and gratifying, and I can't imagine not being able to share that with the people close to me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"Made trellis' in the garden using bamboo, string as well as mesh I had in the barn. Trellis' for the tomatoes, peas and cuke's and a mesh barrier wall to tie up and support as well as separate the corn and potato.

I used up items around the house and everything is supported and organized with space now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  10:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Walked around the house to all the doors, inner and outer and dusted, swiped down and oiled each hinge. No chains to oil but did clean up all tools and have them ready for the next job! All clippers, etc are cleaner than they have been in years!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  10:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"We started keeping a "wish list" for items we need to add to our kitchen.

It's been fun looking over the non-electric kitchen items in the Lehman's catalog. We are now more careful about what we invest our money in, and we are more careful to add only what we need and use. We keep a wish list on our computer's desktop and even the kids are allowed to add to it. We are all involved with the purchases now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  11:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I have learned to sharpen my kitchen knives.

I noticed that food from the garden, such as beets, turnips and Kohlrabi are harder to cut with my kitchen knives. My husband has placed a hand knife sharpener in my drawer so we can keep them in good working condition."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  11:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I did it, I can't hardly believe it but I bought a book and taught myself to crochet! I did a scarf, it took me four days. I taught my husband along the way, he even did a couple of rows.

It was so fun once I figured out how to not get the stitches to tight. I'm very proud of how it turned out and I look forward to my next project!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  11:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I have been sharpening my knives for years. It is much easier to cut with a sharp knife than a dull one. You don't have to saw the vegetables, meat, etc. you just cut and it's done.

My knives are always in tip-top shape."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Katherine Osborn (KanMogirl, #1349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I actually have done several volunteer projects this summer. I have volunteered for vacation bible school, planted flowers at Little House with Wende, worked in the kitchen at a church camp called Camp Horizon and, helped them serve at a camp fundraising golf tournament.

I enjoyed all these experiences especially volunteering at camp."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I have been doing photography as a hobby for about 30 years. I have used a variety of cameras but my preferences are Olympus

Camera in the photo is an Olympus OM-1 with a Tamron 28-200 zoom, wide angle lens that is a lens I REALLY like.

I also use an Olympus Camedia C-740 Ultra Zoom that I "inherited" from my father-in-law.

I have studied all the terminology and techniques for photography over the years and have just now given myself a "refresher".

I have tried to intelligently and creatively use all the photography techniques for interesting, eye-catching and unique photography. I have used the knowledge I have for f-stop, shutter speed, film speeds setting to try to be a better photography.

I have sold some of my photography (scenery and flowers) and have and continue to make my photos into calendars and greeting cards.

Photography is an ongoing process for me and I will continue to take photos, striving to become better at it. I will also continue to have photographs available for personal use and sales.

I have shared MANY of my photos on the Farmgirl forum that show some of the "farmgirl lifestyle" that I continue to live.
Photos can be found at:
BARNYARD BUDDIES:
-New Calf Today - PICTURES FINALLY
Aug. 18, 2009
-"Rocky" the llama - June 6, 2010

GARDEN GATE:
- Peony Beauty - Oct. 6, 2009
- Pear Trees - Oct. 25, 2009
- Garden-Go-Round - June 18
(this also shows the beginning of
our newly planted garden to the
left of the photo using black
plastic mulch)
- "Sadie" the Scare-girl - June 15th

FAMILY MATTERS
- Mother/Daughter Farmgirls-July 6

I will continue to take photos . . lots of them and share them on the Connection, in the Henhouse and in emails to farmgirls.

I plan to post some of them to Facebook in the future."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"Our electricity is generated through a "Touchstone Energy Cooperative" and is hydroelectric and coal.

Our company does offer a "Green Power" program to business that promotes wind generated, hydroelectric or biomass projects.

Our company also offers a CFL recycle program for it's customers, who are also stockholders.

I did consider research on the different types of energy production, including those less desirable such as fossil fuels and those that are considered "renewable" or "sustainable."

We have been studying ways that we could build equipment that would generate mainly by wind and/or solar since those are good ones for our area.

We have learned a lot of ways to clean up, reduce, be more efficient. We are continuing to work towards that end.
We are also trying to help educate our family and friends about ways we find that work and brainstorm ideas together.

Some thoughts on the matter have been posted in the FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE Project Discussions - "Green Power"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Speidel (Wyoming Lookout, #979) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"During the month of June, I kept a gratitude journal. I didn't repeat a gratitude twice.

Daily journaling isn't always easy- so I wrote daily on my calendar."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Speidel (Wyoming Lookout, #979) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Because I have had a button jar for a very long time, I decided to create a button box for my daughter-in-law. Unfortunately, I didn't have 50 old buttons to give her, so I purchased several to fill the box.

My gift was enthusiastically received."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Speidel (Wyoming Lookout, #979) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"After researching several ways to be involved in my community, I joined the Chamber of Commerce. Not having a business in my community, it was somewhat of a stretch for me to become a part of this organization. However, the businesses in my community were welcoming to me to become a part of their organization. As a volunteer, I designed and prepared for publication a new rack card to be placed in tourist venues across the Black Hills. (Well over 40 hours of volunteer time).

The rack card was enthusiastically received by the membership of the Chamber and is currently being placed in our area to advertise Sundance and the surrounding area."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  1:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Speidel (Wyoming Lookout, #979) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Community Action badges.

"There was talk around town about the closure of a county access road through private property. After some discussion with local folks, I learned that the County Commissioners would be discussing the matter publicly in the near future. I visited with one of the commissioners at length concerning the issue prior to the public meeting.

It turned out very well with the road remaining open to public use."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Mom and I combined our buttons and organized them together. We had also inherited my grandmothers collection. We have two of these storage bins full!

It was fun to go through the buttons with my mom and get them organized."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I researched the difference between grass-fed beef compared to corporate raised on eatwild.com. I've been trying to buy organic meat for a few years now, but the further info I discovered heightened my commitment to only buy sustainable and local.

It's very sad the state of our meat industry and I intend to not encourage it any further."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"A garden has ALWAYS been a way of life. My mother raised a HUGE one.
I have (with my hubby's involvement) raised one every year, even when living in the arid Arizona desert.

We don't use pesticides or synthetic fertilizers. We use cow and/or llama manure, "home-grown" compost and if we need to kill pests we use non-chemical organic methods.

Our garden has been organic as long as we've been married (going on 42 years) and we have helped our daughter with her garden. Not only with helping her get going but also helping her with doing it organically. Her hubby, a true city boy, is also a convert.

I did read "Montrose: Life in a Garden." It is beautifully written and illustrated. I appreciated the use of botanical names, accounting of creatures who "visited" the garden, strategies for planting, watering, maintenance and I would love be able to visit the garden.
Because I live in a very dry climate at high altitude I would, for the most part, not be able to grow the same things and we have very, very short growing season."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:46:12 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have always been a "fan" of Colorado native flowers, trees and other plants and have spent a lot of time at our local nurseries and seed company to find the things that are native and to my liking.

My years of hiking, backpacking and camping our our mountains has allowed me to see, photograph and study many of the wild mountain flowers and strive to get some of them growing at my home.

So, we do have a variety of flowers, such as columbines, bluebells, and wild roses that attract the bees and butterflies. We find that the Colorado Blue Spruce trees we have in our yard are a habitat for bees and birds. There is always water available in the yard and garden.

A portion of our lawn has been planted with wildflowers that are native to our part of the country. There is a local seed company who makes these available. We are still waiting for all of the garden to develop but it is coming along.

We also have done some harvesting and sprouting of some of these seeds. We plan to do more of this and see what we get.
The pursuit of growing things is in the genes!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I'm growing kale, chard, two kinds of lettuce, bean, basil, zucchini, and tomatoes this year. I've had issues with some insect and I cooked up a batch of onion and garlic water to spray on the plants. It seems to have done the trick as I'm not noticing anymore damage.
I just finished reading "Montrose: Life in a Garden" today.

Everything in the garden is growing well except for the basil. I think it's not going to be much of a harvest for the basil.
I thought the book "Montrose: Life in a Garden" was going to be about vegetable garden. I was a little disappointed at first but then found I liked the book a lot. It was very interesting to read about her challenges. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to have a garden so large that it took up most all of my time year round."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  3:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made an apron using one of the patterns I purchased from MaryJane's farm, although I made some changes to the pattern and also made it reversible.

I'm pleased with the way it turned out and wore it to a friend's house when I went over to help clean."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"Intermediate—(July 2008-Sept 2009)Since becoming a Sisterhood member, I have:
1. Made bread and butter pickles with my home grown cucumbers using this recipe—
4 large cucumbers, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
¾ cup sugar (or honey)
¼ t. tumeric
1 t. salt
½ cup white vinegar
½ t. mustard seed
¼ t. celery seed
Place all ingredients into glass casserole and microwave at 80% power for 5 minutes. Stir. Cook 5 minutes more. Cool, cover, and chill 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.
2. Made a large batch of spaghetti sauce using homegrown tomatoes, shredded zucchini, my own basil and thyme, and onions from my garden. I froze the sauce in quart-sized freezer bags and used it through the following winter.
3. Made apple pie filling following MaryJane's recipe in her Ideabook. I used three bushels of apples that I gleaned from a friend's tree and sweetened it with local honey. I canned eight quarts of pie filling and used the rest of the apples to make applesauce—8 jars and 11 frozen quarts!! This was enough to last more than a year for my family."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have been freezing and canning food since I was very young, and remember helping my mother with tomatoes, beets, corn, pickles, and other foods. I have taught my children how to grow and preserve their own foods, as well. So, since I needed a recent project in order to earn the badge, I found some new recipes that I wanted to try and gave it whirl.
I started by growing my own pumpkins, baking them, scooping them out, and freezing it all. I made enough pumpkin pie filling to last for more than a year! I am just finishing up the last of it and have had enough to feed my own family and share with friends.
I had also dried fruit in an electric dryer before, but have always wanted to make it naturally in the sun without using electricity. So I dug an old framed piece of screen out of the workshop, sprayed it off with the hose, and propped it up near my salad tables where my kitty wasn't apt to bother it. I thinly sliced up some apples that had been sitting in the fruit bowl a little too long and placed them onto one half of the screen. On the other half of the screen I put some sage leaves, celery leaves, and leaves from my celariac plant. Fortunately, the humidity was low and the sun was bright and hot on this particular day, so I had nicely dried apples and herbs by the end of the day! How excited I was to find that I could do this so easily and without electricity!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"My farmgirls chapter, Aprons of the Adirondacks, did a bag sew in at one of our monthly meetings. Each member went home with a finished bag made from leftover pieces of fabric that were given to me by a friend who was cleaning out her sewing closet. Some of the bags were wild combinations! Three of us were experienced seamstresses and one young lady had never sewn anything in her life! We all helped each other and had a wonderful time. My daughter and I enjoyed the project so much that we made several more to give away. Here is a photo of some of our finished bags. Some ladies had to leave early and didn't get into the photo."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  4:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"When doing the research for this badge, I learned that it was during the 13th century that “designer” buttons came into vogue, along with the advent of form-fitting clothing. Because of the particular styles of the time, men were more apt to be found sporting fancy buttons, and this became a competition to see who could be seen wearing the biggest and fanciest buttons. The buttons were often carved, inlaid, covered, and usually made of either silver or gold. Some even had miniature paintings on them. As you can imagine, buttons of this sort were owned only by the rich nobility and are proof that the 3 R's were applicable even hundreds of years ago—one would never throw out a garment of this sort without salvaging the buttons! I read that Francis I owned a single costume which sported 13,600 gold buttons! Fortunately, these were mostly for decoration and didn't require buttonholes (huge sigh of relief from the tailor!!).

My particular button collection is not as fancy or as valuable as Francis I's, but I am quite proud of it none-the-less. Since my journey began in 2008, I have added more than 1,000 buttons to my horde! Most of these were given to me by a gentleman who lost his wife and was searching for someone who would appreciate some of the little things she had left behind. I am most grateful....many of these buttons have been turned into earring and bracelets (shown in photo below).

Of my almost 2,000 button collection, I have acquired at least 10 different kinds of buttons. I have large hand-carved buttons, machined wooden buttons, leather covered buttons of different sizes, blown glass buttons and glass “bead” buttons, metal-rimmed and metal covered buttons, decorative metal buttons, plastic buttons of all shapes and sizes, vintage buttons in metal/shell/plastic, buttons carved from stone, rubber buttons in silly shapes, fabric covered ones, stamped leather ones, and a small glass ladybug I purchased special because I love ladybugs! I also have buttons that have large holes and are designed to go on the inside of a garment to hold a larger button on the outside firmly in place. And, I have a three hole button!? Now, what possible reason could accompany this oddity?"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page