Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started my journal on June 15th. I have never kept a journal or a diary before. So this was interesting for me. I’m not much of a writer so I kept it in the kitchen so I would see it everyday.

I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to think of something to write daily. I was pleasantly surprised. I think it turned out pretty good. However, nobody else gets to read it, its just for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"This week I helped a Farmgirl who is literally my sister. Her daughter has been seriously ill with Lyme disease for a while now and lately my sister has been struggling with gall bladder issues herself. So while my husband and son went to a 4H shooting competition, my daughter & I stayed with my sister & her family.

Outdoors, we helped take care of the chickens, goats, rabbits and horse. We fed and milked and gave the horse a bath.

Indoors we cooked, cleaned, organized cabinets, and ground some goat meat up. We also made goats' milk soap, which we are going to take and sell at the farmers' market for her. All the funds will go to their family.

Additionally, the girls played together, giving my sick niece something to focus on other than feeling bad. They created treasure hunts for each other, played board games, rode the 4-wheeler, and played video games.

Total time was much more than 10 hours because we stayed for a week. I'm not good at sketching or artwork, but I'm including a picture of my sister & my daughter making soap."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Heather Richards (Heather Nicole, #1473) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I have been sewing a few months now, but I started with this project this past winter. I made a half apron for my mother, my first real project on my sewing machine! I had made a french message board with the fabric and she fell in love with it, so what I had left I used. I created the apron from McCall's Pattern M5825, using a floursack fabric for the pocket and including a hand-embroidered monogram. I had a blast that weekend!

It turned out sooooo cute! And wow the feeling of accomplishment I had after I finished! That was amazing! I have been hooked on sewing ever since! And needless to say, my mother loved her new apron!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Heather Richards (Heather Nicole, #1473) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I woke up one morning and just simply decided I was going to learn to crochet, so off to the craft store I went. I came back with yarn and a complete learn to crochet kit. However after reading and stewing over instructions all week, I did not get it! So after a quick phone call to my best friend ("my sister"), she came to my rescue. Needless to say after a few lopsided dishcloths, a cute rosette and several towel toppers later, I can finally say I know and understand the basics of crochet! Yay!

This towel topper was made a few weeks ago for a tea towel swap I was taking place in. I love the ruffles! So did everyone else I guess....I have made several more since! I changed the pattern a bit by attaching the ruffle with yarn that was of the same color(instead of a contrast color) and it really turned out adorable! This is a pattern I will turn to again and again, especially with my new found skills and my hook in hand."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level In the Garden badge.

"1) We've grown a raised garden the past three years using the "lasagna" layering method. As the summer progresses its not as raised as the mulch rots and filters into the soil.
2) I made a tin can dog to hold small tools, etc while I'm working in the garden. He has tin can lid ears. I wish he would scare the rabbits away!
I also used about a dozen tin cans as a barrier so we don't forget and step on a section that has been a path the last couple of years.
3) I built a birdhouse from scrap lumber, painted it with some spray paint that has been sitting around for years and attached a used spice container as a flower box. Next spring I will fill it with threads and little nest-building items for our bird friends.

The birdhouse was a challenge for me as I'm not terribly skilled when it comes to building things. Pounding a nail in straight can be difficult! However, I had a lot of fun with it.

I would have liked to have made the tin can dog fancier but I didn't have the tools to do everything I would have liked.

We've raised a lasagna garden enough years now to have the kinks pretty much worked out - so there wasn't any problem there other than I never have as big a garden as I want!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet by sewing buttons on a piece of elastic.

It took a lot longer than I expected to make the bracelet but part of the problem was lining up the holes on different sized buttons.
I like the bracelet a lot and will probably make some more in different colors. It's a bit itchy so I'm going to have to think of how to solve that problem."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Annette Shaw (mamashaw, #1372) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I have always planted extra to pass along to neighbors and family/friends. We do not have a food basket in my area.

Everyone who receives our home grown produce loves getting a little "pick me up' from our garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  1:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Annette Shaw (mamashaw, #1372) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"The daughter of a good friend of mine is having her second child, a girl. I used a new pattern I learned while participating in a farmsister potholder swap. I worked on this project when ever I a spare minute, kids, husband, job, and hobby farming keep a person pretty busy.

The quilt turned out great! My friends daughter loved the fabric I picked out; everyone else in her family is pretty conservative of which she is not."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  1:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I made five bean bags, one each in the shape of a star, heart, circle, square, and triangle for my granddaughter.

The bags turned out well and my granddaughter likes them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  2:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read "Beef: the untold story" and researched locally raised meats bookmarking websites so I can contact them.

I was surprised how many ranchers were in my area that raised grass feed meat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  2:22:26 PM  Show Profile
Gail Torchio (olivelily, #1174) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"In my 'grab and go' bag are matches in a waterproof container with a lighter attached with a rubber band, plus a container of cotton balls with vaseline on them as fast starter, a mirror with sighting hole, whistle, rain gear and space blanket, first aid supplies, reflective cord a knife or two, water container, extra t-shirt and socks in a zip lock bag, a bandanna, some easy to eat food stuff, a map, and a note pad and pencil.

This is something I really like. I put a lot of the same things in my husbands car as he travels a bit and one never knows when a need will arise. Several of my friends have "go bags" and we discuss them from time to time. It is an on going project as things are improved and refreshed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Gail Torchio (olivelily, #1174) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"In my sewing basket are several colors of sewing threads and embroidery threads, small and large scissors, different size sewing needles, straight pins, safety pins in different sizes. Some of the needles and pins are in a keeper I made of felt I felted and formed into a book with a ribbon to hold it closed. There are other items such as a seam ripper, thimble, and pieces of lace that I like. Most of my buttons are mother of pearl and fun plastic colors and sizes and a tape measure.

It turned out quite well as it keeps things in one place and orderly. When I need sewing items I know where they are."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  11:54:24 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Embroidery badge.

"Learned to embroider when I was in high school (LONG AGO!!) making tea towels, dresser scarves and other projects. Also did some for 4-H projects. Have done embroidery and cross-stitch all my adult life.

In the past few months, however, I have completed several projects, which include tea towel sets, doing blanket stitch edging on breast cancer awareness items, starting the MJ tea towel set and several dresser scarves, which are currently decorating my credenza, bathroom countertops, my Clavinova keyboard and my bedroom.

I enjoy embroidery and wish I had time for more. I love the look of the finished items and love having them decorate my home.
When snow flies and I cannot work outside I plan to finish the MJ tea towel set.. . and whatever else I can get my creative hands on.

Time invested in projects in recent months far exceed that required for a tea towel set."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Embroidery badge.

"One of my favorite projects has been crewel embroidery, which is using crewel yarn with embroidery stitches to create BEAUTIFUL projects that have sort of a 3-D effect.

I have completed several of those projects, varying in size from approx. 6x6 to larger wall hangings. They have been of florals, scenery and music themed projects.

I do not have any of these for myself as they have all been given away as gifts.

Just this month I spent several hours teaching my daughter to embroider which was very satisfying.

Again, work that I thoroughly enjoy and wish I had more time for. I LOVE the crewel projects because they have more depth and "richness" to their appearance.

Teaching my daughter . . well, what a joy!!!

I have a BIG tote bag that is loaded with embroidery projects and I work on them as I can. One of the best opportunities I have is when I have a few moments at my job as caregiver for my sister. But I know that winter will be the best time to complete some of the projects.

These pillowcases were one of my favorites!!!
Time invested in these projects was far exceeded time required."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Build It Green badge.

"My husband and I have built two houses. The first one was a log home that we obtained a house permit for and did ALL of our own logging from the local forest service lands. We also logged enough to have wood for all of our framing, subflooring and subroofing. We also milled all the wood, did ALL the work to build the house . . .paying for it as we went.

This house was lost in an arson fire and we had to build another one. We built a frame house this time because we could no longer get permits to log for house logs, and purchasing logs was more expensive than we wanted to spend. It was our goal to build a new house with the insurance settlement money and not go into debt doing it and we did it!!!

The log house was a "green build" as much as was possible. The experience we went through with the house fire gave us the ability to UNDERSTAND and be able to provide advice and counsel to other families who have gone through house fire losses, such as helping them establish a timeline for rebuild and steps to take; navigating through the insurance claim process and dealing with the trauma.

We have also been able to actually physically help with the clean-up and rebuild work so that these displaced families could get back into a house.

We have been able to provide this assistance to three families locally, the latest of which was just before Christmas 2009.

Because we . . . yes, me included . . have a lot of construction skills I have been able to help neighbors with a variety of needed repairs, etc. These are skills we find to be of great benefit and will continue to be available to do whatever we can for anyone in need.

The sad photo is of the house we lost in the fire . . ."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a doll sized quilt that I call Civil War angels. It's a star background with folk art angels appliquéd on top, and I made it with civil war reproduction fabrics. It was all hand pieced and quilted, and took well over 10 hours to complete.

It turned out beautiful, it was wonderful to hand piece and hand quilt it all together. It's so calming to hand piece outside while I'm watching my veggies and flowers grow and bloom."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  12:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Two girlfriends and I spent last week horse camping at Kelsay Valley Horse Camp on the eastern end of Lemolo Lake in Southern Oregon. We hauled creek water for the horses and dogs. We cooked outdoors on a Coleman stove. We heated dishwater on the same stove. The campground did not have cell service. We cooked s'mores over the campfire.

The week was great except for the voracious mosquitoes. We had many different types of bug dope--natural and unnatural--people and horse--none of which worked longer than about 20 minutes. In the description of this level it says to stay safe and not get lost. We ended up on a 9 hour trail ride because we were searching for a long-abandoned (about 40 years) trail marked by old, overgrown blazes. When we spotted a blaze we would flag a nearby tree with surveyor's tape. On the way back, we missed all our new ribbons, all the old blazes and the old trail! We knew where we were going, just not where we were at the time. Does this mean I don't qualify?! Anyway, we made our way downhill and finally hit a road so we knew where we were. Still don't know how we got so messed up. Janet and I have ridden this trail several times and marked it more than once. Just goes to show what happens when two middle-aged blondes go out in the woods together.
PS--there were two other women along for the "trail" ride. One lady commented that we couldn't call it a trail ride as we hadn't been on the trail for quite some time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  12:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I volunteered at a non profit community garden for six plus hours.

It was a lot of fun I will continue to help them out."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Tina Dennis (dreamingofafarm, #1355) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have switched to buying only local eggs from nearby farms. After doing some research I found that one farm, Millers Farm, sells eggs from their farm every day but Sunday making it very easy to pick them up. There is also a local grocery store that has a local foods section that includes local brown eggs.

As far as feeding my animals organically, I have one dog - a collie. I switched to feeding her organic treats and dog food, as well as organic rawhide chews.

Buying local eggs has been wonderful. The taste is completely different and eggs now play a major role in some meal each day.

Buying all organic for feeding my dog is a little trickier. It is very expensive so I'm uncertain I'll be able to keep this up for the long term. Also, the dog actually refuses to eat some of the organic treats and rawhides I've brought home. She does love the dog food, though!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Sharalyn Paetz (Angora girl, #341) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I bought a DVD to teach myself the basics of shuttle tatting. After learning the Double Stitch, Picot, Ring and Chain I was able to make a 3 ft. long edging that I plan to sew on the edge of a pillowcase.

It took a while for me to understand how to get going but once I did it went fairly quickly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Sharalyn Paetz (Angora girl, #341) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"My farmgirl chapter had a ChillOver get together. I made the "Make Your Knees Weak Chocolate Chillover."

The Chillovers were delicious. Mine was a little on the runny side it didn't set up very well and was more like a chocolate pudding. But we still had fun giving it a try."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (Farmhousegirl, #1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched ways to clean my home and clothes without toxic cleaners, I found lots of recipes for cleaners, laundry and dishwasher detergents on the Farmgirl Connection chat board.
I made laundry soap and dish-washing detergent. I bought green non- toxic cleaners from Target for my house cleaning.

I love the laundry soap! It cleans well and our laundry smells fresh and feels soft. I'm looking for a different dishwasher detergent as the recipe I made doesn't seem to be working too well (I have lots of smudges on silverware) I really like the green cleaners from Target, they clean well but don't leave the harsh smells and I'm sure toxic residues!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Rali Burleson (Rali, #1679) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I taught myself to cross-stitch years ago. I started this "Country Sampler" in early 1984. I worked on it while on temporary duty assignment to Cyprus. I recently unearthed, finished and framed it!

My "Country Sampler" turned out beautiful! I used a prepackaged kit containing an "off-brand" of embroidery floss. In hindsight, I wish I had used a better quality embroidery floss."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Chrissy Mayhew (Skootandstiches, #1904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I didn't know how to sew or even quilt. My mother and grandmother both always sewed and I never wanted to learn. As I got older I fell in love with quilts and wanted to learn how to quilt. I learned my church had a quilting club so I started going. On the first day (remind you I did not know how to sew!), I learned how to cut sew and quilt a log cabin block. I then was taught how to make a strip quilt and started my very own.

I was completely surprised how well I did and it turned out everyone loved it! I also made some really great friends along the way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I am blessed to get farm fresh eggs from my mother's chickens. We help with the feeding every once in a while in exchange.

We only have a dog, cat and beta fish. Buying all organic is not within our budget at this time, but I requested coupons from Blue dog food so I will buy organic when I receive the coupon.

We love eggs. My youngest son could live on eggs if he had to. The farm fresh eggs taste so much better. The yolks look so much richer.

Organic feeding has really made me think. Right now, we are on a mission to get out of debt so that we can get animals and care for them properly. I would love to get a flock of my own chickens, a few Angora rabbits and a couple of Nigerian dwarf goats. Before I purchase the animals, research will have to be done into what organic feed is available and what I might be able to grow in my garden to feed them."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page