Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I reorganized my storage cabinet. I tossed any damaged, stained or mismatched pieces. I have a number of quart yogurt containers. Stony field and Yoplait lids are interchangeable. Dannon is not so I tossed that one.

It is much easier to find the right container for the job. I have an oblong freezer container that wasn't of use to me in the freezer. It's the perfect container for jar lids and plastic lids to be until they are matched up with their partner."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (Melissa Bailey, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I earned this badge by keeping a gratitude journal for the month of June.

At first it was really hard for me to remember to write in the journal and to think of something to be thankful for that was not a duplicate of something I'd already mentioned. I just kept wanting to say my family or that we have a roof over our heads and enough to eat. But after a while, it started getting easier to think of things that I used to take for granted...rain, for example. Where we live we get very little rain, maybe a weeks worth per year. Right now it's 105* in the shade and I really miss the rain. The other day we had a thunder storm and it actually sprinkled for 5 minutes while it was still 98* outside. I was so happy about that little bit of rain! This journal has helped me to realize that the little things can really be important if we take the time to recognize them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (Melissa Bailey, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I figured out how much we usually spend on lunches for the family, each person per day.

I took that number and multiplied it by the size of our family (3 people) and came up with a rather small number. I was actually quite shocked to find out that we spend about $3.70 for the family per lunch. I think that the actual number may be lower than that because I have never really checked to see how many sandwiches we can get out of a jar of peanut butter or how many of my child's glasses of milk we can get out of one carton. But I was very surprised at the low number and decided instead to save up for 3 weeks before donating. Our food bank allows you to "sponsor" a family...so for our $10 we can sponsor a family with a weeks worth of groceries. I think that is worth 3 days of no lunches for us!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (Melissa Bailey, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went to the website www.eatwild.com among others and researched the difference between grass-fed beef and "normal" commercially raised beef.

I didn't expect there to be much difference between the two expect in the fat content of the meats. It makes sense that beef on a grass diet would have less fat, but I was not ready for all the benefits I found for grass-fed beef! I think the thing that best sums up the benefits of grass-fed is this list from www.eatwild.com...
*Lower in total fat
*Higher in beta-carotene
*Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
*Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
*Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
*Higher in total omega-3s
*A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
*Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
*Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA)
*Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease
Now I can find very little reason to keep buying commercial beef. I'm very excited about the intermediate part of this badge and finding a place where I can get local grass-fed beef for my family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (Melissa Bailey, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I have numerous books about green living and how to decorate and build a home using "green" products and techniques.

Since we have moved in to our new house, about 2 years ago, I have tried my best to stick to a "green" way of decorating. We have used low VOC paints for all of our rooms. I shop quite a bit at thrift and vintage stores to re-use what others have discarded. We even try to find new and creative uses for things we have that don't "fit" our style anymore. I have turned my daughter's old sneakers into bookends by filling them with leftover plaster, used an idea from MaryJane's Ideabook to take an old broken rolling pin and turn it into art for the kitchen wall and turned an old wallpaper printing roller into a lamp (one of the projects I'm most proud of) among many others. I am able to make my house unique and still be green!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (Melissa Bailey, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"At quite a few of our chapter meetings I have discussed my various techniques for "green" decorating with my fellow sisters.

Since I am the "Mother Hen" to our local chapter, The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire, I host quite a few of the meetings at my house. And any time we all get together, we seem to show off our latest and greatest projects. Since we are in my house, the things I show off are usually new decorations...doo dads for the house I have put together with things from the thrift store or things I have repurposed from around my own house. I have also talked about the importance of low VOC paints and trying to use organic products when possible in your furnishings."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (Melissa Bailey, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I don't wear a lot of jewelry, so instead of making a button bracelet or necklace, I made a button pin for my farmgirl denim jacket and a pair of cute little button flower earrings.

Well I love them both! I used little yellow flower buttons that look to be antiques although I'm not certain, to make the earrings. Then I used a great metal button as the center to a yo-yo flower pin for my farmgirl jacket. I picked the fabric based on the button...you should have seen the people in the fabric store giving me the eye while I searched the fat quarter bin with my button in hand. I am extremely proud of the button pin since I taught myself how to make yo-yos just for this project. I think they came out great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I kept a journal of my eating habits and read the book "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral." I eliminated hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners from my diet years ago but recently added in growing sprouts. I also came up with more ways to add fruits and vegetables to mine and my family's diet.

I enjoyed the book and was inspired to buy more of my foods from local sources. The store where I do my shopping labels where the produce is from and that makes it easier to accomplish that. I also hope to check out a nearby farmer's market. The hardest part of earning this badge, for me, was coming up with 10 new ways to add produce to my diet."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  12:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal for a month.

It's been my habit for years to review all the things I'm grateful for as I drift off to sleep each night. Remembering to write them down was a bit of a challenge. There were many nights where I had to get out of bed so that I could write in my journal instead of going over them mentally."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I completed a month-long journal recording what I am grateful for.
Here are a few random entries:
July 3rd - I am grateful that my family enjoys making pizza together for "family night".
July 4th - It is wonderful to see families playing with their children before the annual fireworks show. One little boy kept asking my daughter to watch him as he threw a football to his mom.
July 7th - I'm grateful for happy flowers like the zinnias, marigolds blooming in my garden.
July 15th - I'm grateful for much needed rain.
July 18th - I'm grateful for the birdsong serenade as I processed my dried oregano.
July 21st - I'm grateful for my first farmgirl pen pal letter coming in the mail today.
July 23rd - I'm grateful for a daughter who loves to bake tasty treats!
July 30th - I'm grateful for a successful garage sale and all the interesting and friendly people I got to meet. I'm also grateful for the time talking to my sister.

I'm glad this was one of the opportunities as it made me focus more than usual on what's good around me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"1) We currently eat almost entirely organic food, most of which comes from our garden.

2) I researched through localharvest.org for CSAs nearby. I only found one in Jackson County but several in an adjacent county. Frog Holler Organic Farm is near Brooklyn, Michigan in Jackson County. However, I'm very interested in Two Creeks Organics in Manchester, MI because they sell organic chicken, honey and eggs. I've only been able to find one local source of honey so far, and none for poultry, so this is good news!

3) We are eating more fruit and have replaced one or more desserts each week with fruit. I can peaches, pears, etc and the family loves canned peaches. We also have had strawberries (last month) and now fresh blueberries to eat.

4) We have been label-watchers for some time and buy very little canned food. We don't buy stuff with high-fructose corn syrup.

I find it easier to eat fruit in place of dessert, but it is a little more difficult for my family. Over all, the changes are going well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:15:42 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"Learned how to ride and take care of a horse as a kid. Grew up with one, rode her to school . . wherever else we wanted to go and getting there by horseback was reasonable.

Helped teach my daughter, when she was growing up, to ride and care for a horse as well.

Also helped care for my sister's horses in recent years as she lives 1/2 mile down the road from me.

There is only one horse rescue in this area. Others are about 100 miles away.
I have gotten involved with this rescue and have been assisting them in public relations and promotion for their rescue, sponsoring one of the horses and whenever possible will assist in the care of the horses.

Horseback riding is not a hobby of mine anymore, but I loved Ginger, our farm horse and am grateful for having the opportunity to learn all I did/could be being around her all my life.

The rescue is some distance away and that, with my intense work schedule, it will make it hard to do a lot of hands-on work during the summer and harvest seasons. However, I am working with them to promote and will continue to do so. I plan to be able to assist more in winter months with actual hands on."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage For Food badge.

"I called our local extension office at NMSU and gathered the following information about local plants that are edible.
Of course I knew about the "Plains Prickly Pears" because I've collected them (very carefully) and made Prickly Pear Jelly and candy. They grow on the tops of cactus and come into bloom in the later summer.
The second edible plant I was familiar with are the "Pinon Pine" from the pine trees. They are a wonderful nut but very difficult to get to. They usually mature in one to two years and are ripe in the fall.
The "New Mexico Elderberry" makes great wine, jelly and pies and again matures in the late summer months.
"Manzanita" is another flowering bush that produces great fruit for jelly, pies and a tea made from the leaves is used to treat stomach problems.
The "Mesquite" the seeds which flower in early summer are edible right off the bush and the wood is excellent for cooking over.
And last but not least is "Parry's Agave" plant which produces tequila and mescal when boiled down.

I truly learned a lot about this area of the country."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"There are some very important differences between "raw" and processed honey. The main drawback of the natural honey straight from the hive is that it can crystallize faster then honey that is processed. But by processing the honey (cooking it) some of the enzymes that give it flavor are destroyed. Also, some of the vitamins and yeast that make natural honey so healthy are destroyed. So buy natural honey and if it starts to crystallize just set it in a glass of warm water.
I read "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders" by Candace Savage and found it very enlightening. We still don't know all about the life of bees and how they communicate to one another but I'm sure they will some day teach us humans how to cooperate with one another.

We only buy natural honey from our local farmer's market."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a great button collection. My husband's great aunt and uncle saved his grandmother's button collection. They couldn't have known that he would marry a woman that grew up stringing buttons together for fun at her own great aunt's home. They are so interesting and I'm finding uses in numerous crafts. I'm sure his grandmother is looking down and just thrilled that they are being used.

Some of my buttons are gathered from garments and garage sale finds. I will continue to search for buttons. They add so much character to any craft."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"I loved this idea! My daughter and I (and my husband on his days off) have been skipping tv several nights a week, and just spending wonderful time together. We've played Monopoly, pick-up sticks, and UNO. When we went on vacation, we took the cards with us, and created some great family memories playing UNO with my brother and with my father. My daughter and I have also been reading together. We read the whole "Puppy Place" series together, as well as many of my favorites from my childhood.

It's been so nice. One of our favorite things is to sit outside and play cards or read. I've always thought activities like this were important, and it will be moments like this that my daughter will hold as dear memories of her childhood."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"In May, my daughter's elementary school suggested everyone participate in "tv turnoff" week. We kept a journal of how much tv we watched, then made a pact to watch less and less. We weren't watching that much tv anyway, but were able to trim it down as much as 50% more in the following week. We also made a list of how we wanted to spend the time doing other things.

Great! My daughter earned a prize at her school, and we have continued not watching that much tv in our house. Many days come and go without the tv being on at all. Even when we are inside, we are playing together, or reading, knitting, doing other things without the distraction of the noisy tv."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"Here is my list:
Sturdy tongs
Pasta pot with steamer basket
Food processor
New paring knives

I am very blessed with a large kitchen and family that has furnished my kitchen with gifts over quite a few years. My list is short. Tongs and paring knives are needed because I was using something cheap that didn't last. I was offered a food processor a while ago but I thought they were more trouble than they were worth. I've learned more of their benefits and I think it would really save me some time. I make pasta and steam veggies and I think the two part pot would be safer than pouring hot water into the sink through a colander especially with young children underfoot."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Families Forever badge.

"My family and I have spent so much time outdoors together as a family. We have been playing cards and drinking lemonade on the porch. We have spent hours studying and identifying butterflies on the bushes we planted, using a book my daughter got from her grandfather on butterflies. We planted a vegie garden together and have spent time as a family making it nice. We have gone on walks, played softball in the yard, frisbee, and swam. We went to the beach, the zoo and the organic farmers market. We have cleaned up and landscaped our yard together as a family, and picked wild raspberries on our property and baked a pie. We have really relished being outside, together. This past week we went to an outdoor family concert and had a picnic in the park.

Wonderful...my family really knows what is important in life. We have so enjoyed the blessing of being outside together."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I started going organic in April after learning of MJF and also after having a health scare. I earned my beginner badge in May. Now it is August, and we are still going strong! It has definitely been a lifestyle change. I feel healthier, and am proud that I am taking care of my family and know what they are eating.

This has been such a good thing. I have gotten really smart about shopping and know where the organic bargains are. I have grown my own organic veggies and feel proud about it. And no one in my family has been sick since March!! Not even a cold...amazing! On vacation to see my family, I told my brother and his wife and my dad and his wife about going organic. My brother bought organic cheese, eggs, veggies and crackers. It's a start!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I bought some 100% cotton yarn and found a pattern for a dish cloth. There are a lot of them on line. I tried a few different ones, but finally chose this one with "holes" in it. It dries quickly.

I made several and have given some as gifts along with a bar of homemade soap."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I saw some beautiful yarns in a local yarn shop and wanted to try to do something with them. They were wonderful colors of blue and green. I found a pattern at the same shop and went to work. It took me a while working at night and some weekends.

I love it. The colors are so soothing and it is great to snuggle in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I love to make most of my Christmas presents. I have been making my nieces and nephews needlepoint ornaments for the past 7-8 years. I always design my own and then work on them throughout the year. Last year was a santa face which I needle pointed and then backed, stuffed and trimmed. I added their names at the bottom. I have to make 11.

The kids loved them. Hopefully they will have a tree full by the time that they have their own home."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I read the "Secret Life of Bees" and watched the trailer of Vanishing Bees.
My husband and I have gotten very interested in beekeeping. We have a garden and try to plant "bee friendly" flowers. Here is a picture of my sunflowers with bees.

We have been to a "bee school" and will be starting a new hive next spring."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"We have been growing a vegetable garden for several years, but the last two years we have grown a large garden on some property that we have purchased. We do not use any pesticides in our garden. We share our bounty with young families in our church and have them come pick with us.

Our garden has been very bountiful even with a lack of rain this year. I have canned about 250 quarts of vegetables already this year."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page